Is it tacky to throw your own baby shower?

It isn’t proper to throw your own shower and I am so sorry that there is no one to do it for you it used to be a big thing when i had my babys. I would do it but whats wrong with

2 Likes

I threw my on with my 2and. My 1st was a boy & I still had all the big gender neutral stuff, but no girl clothing & the small items

you having a party to celebrate your new arrival

1 Like

I’d rather plan my own that way I can lame myself for mishaps and not the right things. If you do things yourself you get better results. If you do it yourself you also know if everything right or wrong. I planned my own before losing my child, it came up to 3,000 because it was gonna be a gender reveal/ baby shower.

I planned my own with my first and would again for my 2nd but I’d rather use that money towards baby stuff. Nobody has ever offered to throw me one so :woman_shrugging: if it’s the experience u want then go for it

1 Like

I 100% planned my own. Both sides of my family really wanted me to back off for it but it was important to me that it was the way I wanted, where I wanted, and how I wanted it. It’s just a celebration of new life, I’m not sure why people get so upset when people wanna take the reigns. It’s not tacky and you do you, girl. Fuck em :roll_eyes::joy:

Dear, it is not tacky. For many years it was considered proper etiquette to not plan your own shower, wedding or for baby. Usually friends or work friends plan them. Your SNL’s comment about only planning games was rude. For a new outlook, let your husband plan it. Lol, seriously.

1 Like

No it’s not tacky. It’s your party for your baby you’ll be having, you do what you want! :green_heart:

I would say so, I think showers are unnecessary

4 Likes

I don’t see why you can’t throw your own baby shower. But why haven’t your mother-in-law or sister-in-law planned one?

Actually no…why should anyone have anything negative to say? This is not their day, their child. Do what ever ,makes you feel good about bringing this precious baby into this world. Good Luck darlin’

Yes, trust me I wanted to plan my own bridal shower and it ended up a mess because my mother in law couldn’t handle it and my sister was try to help me accomplish what I wanted but not have me do it but that seemed to make things worse, honestly sit back and enjoy it if the shower isn’t styled or done they way you want who cares it’s not a reflection on you. Take it as a gift.

I threw my own baby shower for my last pregnancy.

No I think you should. They call it My tacky baby shower to puss them off :joy::joy:

I’ve had 5 kids and the only baby shower I ever got was the one I planned with my last baby and it went off great. Everyone enjoyed it and I had the stuff I wanted there with the games I was willing to play. You do what you want and the others will be ok.

I planned all the games and food for mine we had it at my aunts house who helped decorate everything but truly my shower was all on me and hosted by someone else i didnt feel like it was tacky

I wouldn’t even invite them. Fuck that. Or make sure it was known I was left to donut myself and they want credit.

Make it a baby celebration instead of a shower! Gifts optional. I don’t really think it’s as tacky these days as it used to be years ago. I had my first baby shower with my 4th child. I wish I would’ve just planned my own tacky or not.

Personally, I don’t think it’s tacky to do your own, who is really going to know if you don’t tell them. I think my cousin planned her own with her second. She planned the gender reveal and the baby shower. Do I know for sure if that’s what she did, no. But me, because I don’t have anyone that would throw one for me also means I don’t have a whole lot of people who would actually go to the party.

It is not tacky. You are celebrating your new addition to the family. If his family see’s it as being tacky because you are planning it, they have two options host the party for you or keep their mouths shut.

2 Likes

I planned mine because my family and my in laws didnt really know each other and my sister started trying to be in charge and setting it up the way that she wanted which was nothing like I would have been happy with. (We have very different tastes). So to make sure that it was not a stressful day for me, I took over the planning.

I threw mine. It totally blew. But I did it.

1 Like

It’s not trashy. But I sure wouldn’t invite the sis n law :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thebump.com/a/baby-shower-etiquette/amp

Your first sentence says you don’t have family and friends. Who, exactly, is supposed to attend this baby shower then?

6 Likes

I threw my own as well

I threw my own and everyone said wow I never expected this. We had about 60 ppl

If you dont really have friends or family the question is is it worth spending that money on say 3 people kinda idea baby showers are alot of work and money and time so it worth doing that or could u do something else with the few friends or something

per proper etiquette you don’t throw yourself a shower — however, no one follows or learns proper etiquette anymore and if no one else in her life cares enough to step up and host it then I don’t see an issue with her hosting it herself

4 Likes

Ummm no. I planned my own. My mama did the food and decorations and my planned games, gifts, set the date, time and location.

Your sil or mil should do it. Seriously, they wanna come then they should help…
I had 1 that I didn’t plan. People told me to do it with my last but no, I didn’t.

I did my own for my frist

That’s hard because its kinda werid to ask someone to throw one for you especially if no one has offered but at the same time instead of spending the money on the shower you could just buy everything you need

1 Like

I’m no. I planned my own for my second child only because I had to start all over because I got rid of almost everything. Granted I had people offer to help but I just wanted something simple and easy

Not at all I had to throw my own wedding shower

Plan your baby shower mama! I did! Then when I told my mom she and my two sister in laws jumped in because they wanted to help but nobody came to me about planning one randomly

Oooh please! Give me a break! You celebrate that baby’s life in anyway you damn well please. Its your baby, your life and if some jackass thinks its tacky to celebrate it, then they don’t need to be invited. A party is a freaking party. Do you and own your own happiness! Get ready because there are a whole lot of other tacky things you’re going to do as a mom, that are the things that will make you are your baby happiest!

If you throw your own you have all the control over who you don’t want there.

My baby daddy threw mine! Screw tradition! You guys do what’s best for you and your baby!

It’s not tacky but your in laws certainly sound like they are

6 Likes

Absolutely not…I had a theme for my son that I absolutely loved and I didn’t like people spending moment or getting stressed out over a party so I did a real cute and simple theme…if people wanted to help I told them the theme and they ran ideas by me, if I liked their idea then I let them help with what they wanted to help with.

Lmao what??? I threw/planned/paid for my baby shower. People are so weird.

I’m planning my own baby shower. :woman_shrugging:

If you find that tacky you shouldn’t be invited in the first place. And who cares what they think. The shower to to celebrate the BABY

I don’t think it’s tacky. I know people who plan their own baby shower. At least this way you get exactly what you want

No lol do what u gotta do if u want a shower

I feel like people should be throwing thier own showers of they want one. I refuse one honestly and I believe I chose to have the baby so itsy responsibility to get all the things he needs and my fiance’s. We said anyone can get anything they please. But that’s that. You throw yourself a party. Screw your sister in law.

Lol no. It’s independence lol

Hell naw. I planned and threw both my baby showed and they were great BUT once everyone was there and everything was set up I left the hosting to my mom, when pregnant I would get overwhelmed pretty easily in large crowds…someone asked me where the utensils were while someone asked if we had more garbage bags and I cried lol. So baby shower #2 was way more coordinated in that I left all the extra supplies in bins under the serving tables and told everyone ‘check in the bin under the tables’ lol.

First, having future in-laws that won’t give you (& baby) a baby shower because hypothetically speaking, it’s needs for the baby; I’d really rethink that situation. I can understand not “wanting” to plan one, especially if there may not be many people. However, you can have a family get together with the in-laws and such, and do it that way. It’s not tacky to plan your own, and the fact the sister in law is saying “ I’ll plan the games and that’s it”. I’d simply say “ no thank you, if I am planning the shower, I am planning it”.

1 Like

No wtf! I want mine to be cute & the way I want it so I really want to plan mine…

1 Like

Hell, I had a great one, and none the last time throw a party

No sweety you go for it plan it all invite who you want have a ball it’s your baby and your moment :heart::heart::heart::thinking::grin::partying_face::+1::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No.
No one threw me a shower for either of my children
And the only reason I didn’t really had to do with I believe them to be pretty much the only motherhood rite of passage our culture acknowledges. If others weren’t willing to celebrate that for me, I didn’t really want to hang with them anyway.
I live far from my family…in laws can be so harsh on pregnant emotions.

It’s not weird to throw your own. I just think it’s weird that people think that way. Smh.

1 Like

I dont think its tacky or trashy- who cares what others think anyway, you’re celebrating the new life about to come into the world with the few loved ones that you have.

2 Likes

My aunt said she would throw me one, but my guest list was tiny and nobody ever asked me anything, and it just went away. I never had a baby shower. Nobody cared. So throw it yourself.

3 Likes

I had one surprise baby shower with only some family. But my Daughter-In-Law threw 3 showers for herself. Thought that was a bit much. Then she took somethings back to the store for cash. Don’t do that.

I literally do not care. It’s my baby and my baby shower. If I wanna throw it, I’m gonna throw it.

2 Likes

Girl I did my own with my mother and grandma they helped me get it done just the way i wanted. Not tacky at all you do you momma

1 Like

Yes it is. Makes you seem needy :see_no_evil: Friends and family are the one who should plan it. But each to their own i guess.

2 Likes

THROW A SHOWER GIRL!
Celebrate your baby! That’s what it’s really about!
I “gave” my daughter a baby shower, BUT SHE PLANNED IT WITH ME!!!

If people don’t like it- OWELL!

2 Likes

I did my own. Because i didnt want abtacky baby shower lol

1 Like

Nope ! It’s 2020 ! Celebrate that :baby_bottle: baby!

I threw my own shower I had a little bit of help but when it came time to hang out and celebrate I was running back and forth ever way and making all the food. It was still a blast and I got enough dipares and cloths to last me the first 6 months not at all tacky and every one who came and my self had a great time. (P.s. this was for my second baby girl)

People who say its tacky or trashy are idiots. I was super involved in my second baby shower. Yes I even had a shower for my second. I mean what does she expect you to do? Not have a shower?

Threw both my pregnanys I had waited for one to be thrown but never got one for either. I wish I had thrown one myself

It’s a baby shower to celebrate your baby. There’s no shame in that! I planned my first baby shower and my mom kind of helped. We didn’t have any friends show up for it just our immediate family and we ended up not even having one for my son knowing before hand either people would or couldn’t show. I don’t believe celebrating the life of your child is tacky or trashy in any way :two_hearts:

They can keep their outdated ways of thinking and you do exactly what you want! I’m sure if you talk to your work friends they will be willing to help but honestly, the only thing that matters is that your future bundle of love has a good support system and positive environment to flourish in.
I planned my own shower and made a majority of the decorations (which i was able to repurpose for her nursery) and it ended up being a great day with my family and closest friends. I used to worry what other people think but you’ll see most only look at the date and time on an invitation and all other information is irrelevant lol Enjoy every step of preparing for your baby because it’ll be over quick!!

Well I wanted to know if you don’t have any family or friends even if you throw your own baby shower who’s going to come

4 Likes

My aunt wanted to plan me a baby shower. I helped her plan it. I had the baby the same day but I still help figuring out the games, prizes, food. Its supposed to be a day to just celebrate the new baby.

In the south , it is considered poor etiquette to host your own shower . You can send out baby announcements once the baby has arrived and if it is gifts you are concerned about , you will receive gifts from most of the people you send an announcement to . However , in this day and time , people are much more open to new ideas . I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do !

2 Likes

Girl, I planned my own. Everything has to be my way so I knew if someone else did it, I woulda been unhappy. LOVED my baby shower. Forget other people’s opinions :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Just do your own. If they care enough they’ll go. Who cares what closed minded people think.

I planned my own baby shower. I did it to the way my partner and I wanted it. It was nothing fancy.

I threw one for myself because I knew if I didn’t that no one would for me. Guess I’ve just had a lot of experience with people never thinking of me and being disappointed. Though I honestly wish I hadn’t because I spent hundreds of dollars to set up the party and only 8 of 45 invited people actually came. And only a few of those people even brought gifts. I would been better off just spending that money on things for my baby, and it would have saved me a lot of heartache.

2 Likes

I basically threw my own. Lol my mom was weirded out and helped pay for half but I did the invites, game ideas, menu, ect ect. If you want a baby shower just do it yourself lol. This was also for my 2nd kid with others fond tacky as well. shrugs do what makes you happy.

Also if I ever get married in doing a super tacky pot luck reception and im gonna love it. :hugs::hugs::hugs:

i threw my own and everyone enjoyed them including me

I don’t see anything wrong with planning your own baby shower though, in your post, you said you have no family or friends and only a few people from work that you consider friends. Who will you be inviting to the shower? Consider whether it will be worth it to put a lot of time, money and effort into planning the shower. If yes, then absolutely do it. Just don’t set yourself up for possible disappointment.

Best of luck to you when your bundle of joy arrives!

1 Like

Game idea… dunk the bitter bitches :woman_shrugging:t3::joy: do it yourself! These are your precious memories not there’s!!:heart:

If its for your 1st child, I think its messed up no one is throwing you one. So I see no problem with you doing it yourself.

Yes, let someone else throw you a baby shower

My daughter and daughter in law planned their own showers. Very picky and finicky so it would be perfect to their taste. Also because my daughter had such a HUGE gender reveal party (65 +ppl, tons of food, goodies, games, DJ, big venue, professional photographer) the shower was drastically downplayed. She did 2-3 online registries and still 30 ppl showed to the shower& a work shower as well. You do what you need to for your new bundle of joy… whoever shows is a blessing.

I helped my sister with mine and said she did it all , :heartpulse::blue_heart:

No I don’t would have thought mil would have.my mother did.

How will you have a baby shower with no one coming to it? :thinking: confused as you’ve said you’ve got no friends or family.

No it’s not at least u will kno wat u did how much u cared for enjoy a small cozy baby shower

My mom, sister and mother-in-law planned mine but I I sister on games and themes that I liked. They loved and represented me so they obliged