Is it true you are more likely to need a c-section if you give birth at 40 weeks?

I had 2 at 42 weeks both natural x

I had a natural birth.

No… I had my son vaginally at 42

I gave birth naturally at 40 weeks. Wanted a c section but they told me.only if medically necessary and apparently my small body pushing 10lbs didnt meet criteria

Had 2 of 4 natural-vaginal at 42 weeks!

I was 42 weeks and had a vaginal birth :blush: I think it all depends on different factors for each person

No, generally no. Unless something is wrong with Mom or baby.
You might be induced after 40+6/41 weeks. But a c-section? No, most likely not. Unless you want one. Then they’re more likely to do one if you’re 42 weeks.

My second I had c sectional 41 weeks. Dr said at 40 weeks we should think about planning for one. I said schedule some for the end of the week just in case I’d rather have him naturally but thank god I had a c section he was just over 10lbs😅

You’re higher risk of needing a csection if you have to be induced particularly if you didnt go into labor on your own.

41 weeks. With my 4th. 10lb 5 oz. no csection. I think inducing ups your risk of a csection. I had it argue with one of the drs in the practice but I refuses to just schedule a csection with out trying labor.

I was induced at 40+3 (contractions for a week, no progress) and did not need a c-section

No. Ive went overdue with my 1st 2 pregnancies and never had a csection until my 6th pregnancy at 35w6d because of placenta abruption. 1st pregnancy I was 41w induced and 2nd pregnancy i was 40w 4d on my own. After that I havent been allowed to go over 39w with any pregnancy though.

Not true for me. I had my girls at 40+5 and 42

I went natural at 40+9 and 40+4

I gave birth normally on my due date

nope not true i was 40 plus 5 days went natural.

I had my daughter naturally at 42 weeks. If you’re induced there’s a larger chance of needing a c section but it depends on circumstances. Talk to your dr. Mine was very open to the wait and see what happens.

Total bs, you’re more likely to need a c section if they artificially induce you because your body isn’t ready to give birth yet. Also a big baby means nothing. Women have been pushing out 9-11lb chunkers for eons without issue. Your body, your choice. Don’t let them force induction unless there’s a medical necessity. Birth shouldn’t be scheduled unless it absolutely needs to be. I wish I’d pushed my rights more with my first. I was induced because the Dr had room in his schedule and I didn’t know better. Wound up with a c section.

C-sections are typically due to your cervix’s ability to dilate, the baby’s health/heart rate, your health/blood pressure, and the baby’s weight. Idk if the longer it goes the greater risk there’s something wrong with you or baby, but I suppose the longer the baby cooks the greater the potential for baby to be too big for a vaginal birth. So… maybe slightly?

40 weeks and 3 days with my first and i had him vaginally

I had my 1st baby(c section) at 40 + 2 the only reason was because I wasn’t dilating and she was up in my ribs for 15 hours before they did a c section for me

I had to be induced 11 days overdue. This was only because my baby was so big. I had a vaginal birth, my boy was 11lbs 9 oz :two_hearts:

My babies were 40w4d, 40wk0d & 40w5d.y last was a csect. My 2nd should’ve been but the hospital tried to kill us both. There were other issues than just being past 40w though. Being overdue was a factor though. My babies are happy until 39 weeks.

Just means your conception date was wrong and baby isn’t full term yet, doesn’t mean a c section is needed.

I have birth naturally at 41 weeks 1 day, he was 8 pounds 1 ounce

I had my daughter at 41 weeks. She wasnt too big. I PERSONALLY… (Heavy on the person opinion) feel like a lot of the times, drs try to scared u into getting induced. And I feel like they do that bc they want the baby delivered on THEIR schedule. Ik in some situations, induction is needed for health reasons etc. But I have always been against inducing. I dont feel like it is natural. Its medications and other practices forcing your body to go into labor and deliver. It is not NATURAL. And thats always bothered me. They tried to talked me into inducing 3x and I kindly declined. They even tried the ‘well she could get too big’ , and even gave me a WRONG estimate of birth weight from an ultrasound, to try to scared me…they tried to say shes prob around 8lb 7oz…my baby weighed 7lbs 11oz :roll_eyes: I was more than willing and not scared, of a Csection. If thats what my baby needed I was down for one. I wanted HER to come when she was ready, and however she needed to come into this world. It really is a personal choice. Not putting anyone down who has been induced. I just feel like it is artificial, and when things are forced it increases the risk for things to go wrong…a lot of ppl I know have said they had a hard labor and delivery, and a lot had to have Csection, that were ‘induced’…and as a mother in the back of my mind I always have felt like forcing the baby to come out aka, inducing, played a big part in complications.

1 Like

No. I had both my daughters naturally over due. First 40 weeks 6 days.had my membrane sweeped and had her 8 hours later. 8lbs.9oz. :heart: Second 41 weeks. Was induced. Had her 6 hours later. 9lbs.8oz. I’m a small girl too.

It depends on your body and if there is any complications. I had my daughter a day late but she was only csection bcuz the cord wrapped around her after my water broke. If that didn’t happen I would’ve had a her vaginally.

I’ve never heard that.

I was a few days shy of 42weeks with my first and went naturally. My 2nd was 1 day shy of 40weeks also naturally.

I was 41 werks plus one day and i delivered naturally!

I think that is false. I just gave birth four months ago I was 40+2 days I got induced and didn’t even have a c-section.

I gave birth to 2 8lb+ boys a 41 weeks vaginally. Zero complications, they just decided they needed an extra week with mom.

It’s not true at all

I had two babies at 40 weeks my first and my third. My third was a c section because he was breach and I didn’t want them to try to move him

I gave birth at 41 weeks, my water broke early in the morning. Went through long and hard labor (16 and a half hour) but no need for c-section and was not mentioned at all. They gave me medication to make my contractions come faster and longer so it wouldn’t come to that

They won’t do a c. Unless nessseray

It’s possible if you just look at statistics that they may show that, because overdue women are more likely to be induced, which has been linked with higher c-section rates. There are also a few health concerns for both baby and mom of being overdue, which is why labor is induced, that may increase the risk of c-section, as well. Overall, though, it all comes down to circumstance. Being overdue alone isn’t cause for a c-section, but may contribute to a doctor encouraging one for other related health reasons. That being said, as someone else mentioned, there are some doctors who will try to coerce the mom into getting a c-section so that they can keep plans or go home on time. My sister-in-law is a nurse who worked L&D for a while, and there was one doctor she really couldn’t stand because he pushed c-sections heavily so he could keep his golf time or dinner reservations or whatever his plans were.

My best friend had 3 babies past 40 weeks. All were successful vaginal births.

I was almost 42 weeks and had a vaginal delivery.

I was induced 8 days late and no c section.