Is it weird to sell homemade loaves of bread?

Would it be weird to sell homemade loaves of bread? I love making homemade bread, and I’d like to make some money out of my passion because I’m a sahm. If I do sell it, how much should I sell a normal loaf of white bread for?

6 Likes

I know an older couple that makes homemade baked goods and freeze them in garage. People come up, they go outside and get the $$. I absolutely love they’re raisin cinnamon rolls lol

You need to factor in the cost of your ingredients along with the cost of your time to figure out how much to charge for your bread and make a profit.

1 Like

Small loaf here goes for around $8 and by small I mean the size of banana bread.
This is not weird at all. Enjoy !

Our farmers market sells alot of baked goods bread included they do well.

I think I hear people say that they do cost of supplies x3. So if it costs you $3 for all ingredients, charge $9. That way you factor in pay for your time baking, time shopping, electricity, gas etc.

I don’t think it’s weird. No different than selling cakes! There’s plenty of people who don’t like sweets and would prefer something like a loaf of bread to a cake. I worked with this guy one time and instead of a bday cake they got him a bday frozen lasagna lmao.

4 Likes

Cost plus time x 3
*buy a container of flour, figure out how much you will use per loaf of bread.
Say, each container of flour holds 10 cups and costs $2 but you will only use 2 cups to make one bread
10/2=5 (you’ll get 5 loaves of bread per container of flour)
$2.00/5= .40
It costs you .40cents in flour to make one bread.
Do this for all ingredients, packaging and gas/electric for the oven

Time: this is how much you pay yourself per hour.
Say it’s $8 per hour but it only takes you 10mins to make 1 loaf of bread (not including baking time as you are adding the gas/electric under materials)
You can make 6 loaves in an hour
8/6=1.33
You pay yourself $1.33 for 10 mins of work.
Say all the material (all ingredients (flour, eggs, salt, yeast, etc…), plus gas/electric and packing materials) add up to .62
Add .62 to the $1.33
1.33+.62= $1.95
It costs you in material and time $1.95
Multiply that times 3 = $5.85

That’s what you charge for a loaf of homemade bread

I live in Ontario CA, I buy homemade bread for 6-8 dollars a loaf. But the bread here in the grocery stores pre-made cost at lowest cost 2.75 a loaf.

I would pay over the odds for homemade bread one to help a small business and 2 cause its delicious :yum: good luck mumma :heart:

Bread is a big seller. They have someone in my town who sells at the Saturday market. We used to go to an Italian bead store their crispy loaves were amazing. Went at least twice a week. In fact I order my German bread from Csnada and freeze them. By 10 loaves at a time. My bread connection!

Make sure you have insurance in case someone gets ill