Is It Wrong of Me to Ask My Mom for Gas Money?

This question was submitted to our community via our Facebook page and/or our Answers forum. Responses are also taken from the community. If you have your own parenting or relationship question you would like answers to, submit on Facebook or Answers.

QUESTION:

"My mother does not have a license and constantly needs a ride somewhere…i normally do not mind…however gas prices are soarin and i was laid off…she got offended when i asked for gas money because " she raised me and never asked for anything in return"…not even kidding…she said that…i dont wanna cut her off but i am constantly burning up gas for her…what do i do?"

RELATED: I Saved Money For A School Trip But My Parents Say I Am Selfish For Not Sharing With My Siblings

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

The following top answers have been selected by a moderator from hundreds of responses to the original question.

"If you can’t afford it right now then you can’t afford it! Your mum should understand this since you’ve been laid off."

"I'd tell her she could always get a taxi. I can't afford the fuel if she doesn't contribute"

"nope. just simply say with gas prices increasing and your income decreased, you need help with gas. if it wasn’t you, she’d have to pay for a cab/uber OR if she got a license, pay for her own gas"

"It’s not wrong of you to ask. You have to consider your own circumstances, and being laid off you need to be prioritising how you spend money right now. I think the polite thing would have been for your mother to offer to pitch in. It’s crazy to throw the whole “I raised you” thing at your grown children, its manipulative and if you can’t afford to run around right now she needs to be more understanding."

"No money for gas then u better pay for ur own uber- either way if she wants a ride she has to pay up"

"You didn’t ask to be born so that’s on her, you’re being reasonable especially if this the first time you’ve asked her for gas money"

"If you didn’t drive her, she would get a taxi? Or uber? She would have to pay…"

"Uber…lyft…cabs…the bus"

"If you don’t have it you don’t have it…. What can you do…"

"Set a day or say you’re out of gas or just say no."

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW:

https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/is-it-wrong-of-me-to-ask-my-mom-for-gas-money/19045/

Our Mom offers to put gas in our vehicles: we tell her; you raised us, now it’s time for us to give back! I’m on disability and gas prices has risen for us too. That’s your Mom and just remember all the things she put aside for you! Just saying!!

I do not drive anymore because of health issues and if my youngest daughter, whom I live with needed gas money because of taking me to the doctor or such and needed some money for gas, I would be fine with it and she has a job!