Is it wrong of me to not want kids under 11 at my wedding?

Maybe allow kids at the reception until a certain time? Either way its YOUR day. You do you!!!

1 Like

It’s ultimately your decision but if it’s no one then your own children and siblings shouldn’t go either to me. Seems like they’ll get super bored especially at the reception when family should all be celebrating together.

2 Likes

It’s your day to decide what you want. But just remember people are also free to decline the invite as well. If I can’t bring my daughter I am not coming. (just my rule I am a working mom and away from her enough as it is. )

3 Likes

Nope. You’re wedding. Its expensive. Unless some of their parents wanna help pay for it? Then nope.

Your wedding, your decision,make it under 18,so will be adults only

1 Like

Your day, your rules. However, you shouldn’t expect people to come either if they can’t bring there kids.

2 Likes

It’s your wedding. I’d be ok with no children! This day is all about YOU

2 Likes

Nope totally fine - have your brother and your son and that’s it. IMO - weddings = adult time and you have to pay for kids to come also.

1 Like

It’s your wedding you can do what you want, but if I was invited and my kids weren’t then I wouldn’t attend. Just an honest answer here.

6 Likes

It’s your wedding but don’t get upset or angry when people who have kids under that age don’t show. Problem is, baby sitters can be hard to find and all family will be at your wedding so anyone who needed a baby sitter for it wouldn’t be able to get one.

5 Likes

I think as long as you understand that people may not be able to come due to not having a sitter or something like that, you’re fine.
Its your day. Your rules.

5 Likes

Not at all. I’ve been to a lot of weddings where kids were not aloud except immediate family and small babies (for nursing/mama needs). I actually love going to weddings that don’t have small kids. You’d be surprised how many people would actually really enjoy that your don’t want small kids there!

1 Like

To each their own . I think it’s kind of messed up you’re picking what kids can and can’t go. You’re setting a age limit but then you’re bending it for someone else. I had kids at mine and everyone still had a great time. The kids had so much fun dancing .

9 Likes

Nope you do you hun dont let family try n make you feel bad…

1 Like

Your life your decisions ! Do not felt sad about negative thoughts . Just move on . All the best !

1 Like

its not uncommon, but i personally wouldnt ask my guests this or id expect most not to come but i dont judge those who do! its your personal choice and comes down to what the bride and groom want so :woman_shrugging:. i think thats what weddings are all about! love & family, one huge gathering…and normally guests’ children are decently behaved at such a special event… maybe just state nicely on the invitation or something that kids need yo be out by 8. (for example. thats how it is in pubs and stuff where im from)

1 Like

Boy, people are tough! It’s your wedding. You will NEVER make everyone happy. I only allowed a couple people to bring kids (including mine). And the others didn’t want to bring their kids anyway, so it really worked out. But there were still guests that had complaints, and certainly a few who said they couldn’t make it for questionable reasons. I had a lovely time at my wedding though and the people who came, by and large, still rave about how lovely it was 6 years later. If you enjoy it, they will too. If they can’t make it because even given 12 or 6 months notice, they couldn’t possibly find a sitter, fuck em. :woman_shrugging: The people who really want to come will work it out with a few minor moans and groans, and they’ll have such a wonderful time, they’ll forget why they even wanted to bring the kids in the first place.
Congrats and ENJOY YOUR DAY!

Older kids are fine but honestly most adults with babies/toddlers have a horrible time and end up wishing they had gotten a babysitter for the event

1 Like

Its ur wedding and u r footing the bill. No need to have a bunch of whiny entitled kids ruin it when they wouldn’t enjoy it anyway.

2 Likes

I dont think its wrong but I wouldnt go if my kids couldnt. We are a family plus kids are the ones who have the most fun with dancing and stuff.

6 Likes

It’s your wedding, you can invite/not invite whoever you want. However, you will have no right be be upset when people don’t come. I didn’t take my kids to weddings when they were young, but had I been told I couldn’t, even I wouldn’t attend.

2 Likes

Do what you want!!! It’s your day, whatever makes you happy! I have a huge family and my husband and I love all the kids so we shelled out the money and it was worth it to us. Watching all my baby siblings and baby cousins dance and have fun literally kept the party so fun. One of our best men danced with them most of the night and it’s one of our favorite memories having them all.

1 Like

Honestly its a grear idea… I had a cousin who did the same but theres were under 18/21 because they had an open bar and sometimes people can get out of hand when drinking and being a family celebrationg theres usually always family drama… So they played it safe… Do what you want mama your day your choice

Your wedding, your choice. Just don’t get offended if people don’t come that’s all.

3 Likes

Stupid decision don’t be offended when majority of the invited don’t go. I wouldn’t go our kids are with us almost 24/7. I say considering you’ll have kids there embrace it so they have someone to play with. I’d do kids food and a play area even and consider hiring someone to monitor the area even if it’s just a few teens. When we eventually do get married (been together since highschool) we’ll probably do those exact things. Not that I’d say hey bring extra kids no but our kids go where we do and I’d expect the same from most parents.

1 Like

No it’s not they cause chaos an their parents think it ok

Are the kids well behaved? Maybe you could spring for a couple of babysitters to watch the kids during reception, if it didn’t last a long time. That way they would not constantly be under foot and adults could enjoy reception and not worry about their kids. Unless you expect everyone to get drunk.

1 Like

It’s your day- about you and your husband not about others feelings. If they don’t like it they won’t come- less people you have to feed. If on the general invite it said no kids under 11 please, I wouldn’t be offended, id get a sitter.

Your choice but some guests might not attend due to children not being invited, child(Ren) care not available, so on.

Not wrong at all. The way I view it- people that want to come will come and it’s a good reason for parents to have a night out with out their kids which sometimes doesn’t happen often enough.

2 Likes

We went to a wedding once and kids were not allowed. We had to find sitters. Our kids are not babies either. They were like 11 and 13. I found it odd but it happens.

It’s your wedding so if that’s what you want to do that’s fine. Just make sure you’re very specific from the beginning so people don’t plan to come and then find out last minute the invitation wasn’t extended to their children. Personally I would never say no children at my wedding and don’t usually attend weddings where my babies (especially if they are nursing) aren’t allowed to tag along.

I’m going to be honest, I’ve had a better time at weddings without children. My siblings and their plus ones were the only ones under 18 at my parents wedding. I’ve been to quite a few without children and it’s more relaxed. Less people will come, but I think everyone will enjoy it

I mean, me personally, I wouldn’t go anywhere my kids wouldn’t be welcome at. But it’s your decision & your wedding. If you feel that way then it’s your right. You may have a few at your wedding not show up though. Not everyone can get babysitters.

6 Likes

It’s your wedding! Don’t worry about what other people think. Unless you wanted to look into having childcare on site for the night. I’ve heard alot of people doing this. Hiring a couple people just to take care of the kid’s so that way the parents don’t have to miss the wedding because they can’t bring their kids

1 Like

It’s your wedding however I don’t think it’s a good idea because a lot of ppl will feel as if my kids not welcome then I’m not or whatever most parents find a sitter n kids have a blast I don’t see anything wrong with having kids there and no offense yes it’s your day but think of it like this your only allowing your son n your brothers they are gonna be super board n bugging you because they’re board good luck your day your choice congrats

1 Like

I recall my cousin sent invitations specifically inviting only parents, for example, just the couple’s names because each person was assigned to a table. So that made it self explanatory I would think. When we got there, it was all adults only. You’re forking out money for your own wedding, don’t go broke trying to meet everyone’s expectations, only do what you can. I woke up crying and wishing to redo my wedding the next day, sadly…

What is the reason for this rule?

2 Likes

Not wrong at all, your wedding, your money, your rules. I prefer weddings and big occasions with no children around. :woman_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

I had kids at my wedding, but it was at the park with a bbq lunch reception. No fuss at all. I dont like the idea of excluding children, but I understand the reason. I have three kids, and if I was going to a “formal” wedding I would probably leave them at home.

Yes I think it sucks

Totally okay! When I had gotten married I only had kids in the bridal party and that was it! And they left halfway through. I spun it to the parents as a chance to have a well deserved night out. Worked out well.

I wouldn’t feel bad at all. It’s your day. But I agree some people may not show because they cant find a sitter. And I have been to a wedding where someone brought their 2 year old anyway so also be prepared for that. I go to weddings without my child when asked because people worry that they will get bored during the ceremony and can act out. So I totally understand if you dont want that type of environment. I also think it’s fine that you want your own son and brother there. They are your immediate family.

1 Like

I was in a wedding once that was adults only. No kids. Not even her nephew or anything. It was actually a much more enjoyable time. Kids are a handful especially at a wedding lol

I’d be offended if a family member asked me not to bring my daughter with me to their wedding and I would in turn not go. Yes you can invite or not invite who you please but to leave family out based on age is, in my opinion, rude and uncalled for.

4 Likes

Nope!! Its YOUR wedding!! Do WHATEVER YOU WANT!!! The kids dont care anyways…why spend that money on them running around!! Its all about YOU!!:grin: CONGRATS!

PERSONALLY no , it is your day…but goodluck getting ppl to find babysitters to attend.

2 Likes

Personally I wouldn’t set that rule, most kids are able to behave at much younger ages and it can make it hard on some of the adults to get sitters for the kids since many rely on other family. Babies and hyper toddlers can be a bit much at weddings but I would allow the other kids.

You’re going to be so busy with your day you honestly won’t be bothered with the kids. They just play to themselves! We had kids at our wedding and it was totally fine.

If it’s the finance aspect your worried about and can’t afford it, then that’s another thing and you should be honest with your family.

Just think about it, if a family member told you that you couldn’t bring your son to their wedding, how would you feel?

At the end of the day it’s up to you but it’s hard to find sitters to watch the kids for the wedding and late reception, and if your whole family is invited then they can’t ask family members to watch. So not only do they have to get you a gift for your wedding but also have to fork out money for a sitter, some probably won’t go if you say they can’t bring their kids.

1 Like

A wedding is not a wedding without kids if they stay over there’s always someone that go’s to bed with the kids like your mum and dad or your wife’s mum or dad the kids all set at one tables and have kids meals or put beside there mum and dad so they don’t play up

2 Likes

I’ve only ever taken my son to weddings if he specifically was invited as well. Either listed on the invite as child(ren) (or name) or if they message me asking if hes coming too.

YOUR wedding. YOUR rules. Period. However… It may go over better if you can arrange for babysitting…? Know any high school kids willing to hang out? Provide movies. Snacks. Pizza. Gather as many tv’s & game systems as you can… Perhaps your son & brother won’t even want to attend. LOL!

1 Like

Not at all. I’m a wedding planner and this is so common!!! Some people simply don’t want a ceremony ruined by kids being kids because they get bored and ceremonies can be so long. Once I had a bride offer people to bring their kids but had a separate play area for them to be occupied to play and be watched by sitters while the ceremony went on. Lasted an hour, the kids had a blast. Parents were kid free, and kids joined in on the photos and the dancing and games at the reception.

4 Likes

Bro bye :rofl::rofl::rofl: honestly if you were my family or friend and said I can’t bring my baby but you can have your son and brother I wouldn’t come​:woman_shrugging:t2: just weird to me

7 Likes

We had an early afternoon wedding and hired a jumping castle for the reception. It was great!

3 Likes

It’s your wedding, do what you want. With that being said, if I was invited to a wedding but my son wasn’t, I wouldn’t be going.

7 Likes

Just explain that you want your immediate family members to be in the spotlight that day. After all it’s your wedding and your rules!

I think it’s rude. I loved seeing all the kids dance at my wedding and have a great time. They were all a hit. I wouldn’t expect people to leave their kids at home & find sitters. But that’s just my opinion.

4 Likes

It is your day… do what you want.
We were invited to my brother’s wedding. My future (at the time) SIL suggested that I leave my Autistic son home with my hubby because it was going to be a “quiet” ceremony. Lol! I chose not to go. If we were not all welcome then none of us were going. I was insulted to say the least.

I let everyone come to the ceremony but only adults over 19 (not even my own children) at the hall. But that was my husbands and my choice. If both you and your husband agree to something it’s your guys wedding. If they don’t like it they don’t have to come.

Give me a break, nothing you will have “is as dreamed” you are selfish lady!

4 Likes

Honestly I wouldn’t want kids at my wedding im a mom of 4 and been invited to kids free weddings and i loved it mommy and daddy needed a break and it was cool to let loose and enjoy some drinks and dancing that isnt always appropriate around little ones dont feel bad for having your wedding the way you want and if its a problem for some parents to get a sitter Hopefully they can tell you in advance so you can take them off the list and maybe pay less

1 Like

We didn’t have kids under 5 at our wedding. I explained my reasoning to everybody, and most people understood. The ones who didn’t understand, just didn’t come, and we haven’t seen them in over 4 years.

PS. My reasons weren’t about money. We got married in a Catholic Church, and none of my husband’s family or friends are Catholic - and only about half of mine are. Most of his family and friends aren’t religious at all, so the kids have never been to church. Catholic weddings are about an hour long, and I knew the younger kids wouldn’t do well with that; and that’s in addition to the solemnity of a Catholic Mass. It worked out for us.

Basically, it’s your day, but be prepared for the possibility of backlash.

Edit: I forgot he has a cousin whose wife is Catholic, so their kids are Catholic, too. But their kids were older than 5, and have attended Mass their whole lives, so we weren’t worried about them.

1 Like

Not at all. It would be one thing if you were being selective on many kids but it’s your son and your brother. Big difference. If your family wants family time maybe the day after have a brunch, picnic or something with kids involved.

Idk… the last wedding I went to had a bunch of kids and it was SO FUN. Also as a mother of a young child if someone told me she couldn’t go I’d opt out of going the wedding so prepare for that.

4 Likes

My cousin didnt let anyone under 18 at her wedding except for the flowers girls . its your wedding, do what makes you happy

Into at all!! Maybe find a couple babysitters to babysit for your guests during the wedding, so all the kids can still play and interact, just not around you. :joy:

I allowed kids at my wedding. My son was 10 months old. And i think the oldest kid was 8 or 9. Everything went fine and all the kids were well behaved. We allowed kids cuz alot of ppl probably wouldn’t have been able to come if they couldnt bring them. My son fussed a little during the vows but my sister held him and it wasnt a big deal.

Your wedding your day your way I would have kids cost to much

I think your wrong, weddings are for family& friend

2 Likes

Honestly if someone said my kids couldn’t come I wouldn’t go… they are apart of the family so why can’t they? But the only kid at my wedding was my 9 month old running around in a walker and it was just good memories to hold on too

4 Likes

My ex brother in law did this, no children at all. Except his daughter who was the flower girl, she was bored as bat shit at the reception and kept crying to go home. Either no children at all, or all children.

Honestly your ridiculous for one asking strangers about what they think about having kids at your wedding and it’s your decision. Seriously why don’t you just ask everyone if they think you should get married at all. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

How about no one under a certain age after a certain time? Ive had to have someone pick my kids up at 9 from a wedding before and I was 100% ok with that!

1 Like

You probably will put people in a place of having to choose between their kids and your wedding and most people would choose the kids! And there is finding a babysitter and all that mumbojumbo! You will probably lose some people! Meaning they won’t go!

2 Likes

Ok…here’s my input :unamused:. Like most people are suggesting…" It’s YOUR DAY…and YOUR PARTY! So…most people know how wedding receptions are and usually what goes on. A lot of parents( not all) tend to bring children and loose track after say an hour. Then they set into drinking and talking…which goes on and on. So these kids are left running around…chasing each other. Most kids up to about 4 can crash at about 7/8 oclock. Those parents should politely leave with them. Then the parents of kids say 5 to 9 should politely leave with their kids by 10 oclock. That leaves 4 hours for the hard partiers to laugh, drink, and be merry with no harm to kids. About the food…i do not know why caterers can’t provide Kid food and China ware for them to eat on. It is not right to charge the wedding party $110 for a childs plate of food.
Everybody wants to celebrate a wedding…but people with children do not nor will not take responsibility for their childrens actions…when there is damage. So…bring your kids…have some fun…and leave according to childs high point(bed time).

It’s your wedding. Do what you want but don’t expect parents with small kids to show up. If your family or friends don’t come it’s your own fault. But it’s not ridiculous to not want small kids there.

3 Likes

My cousin recently got married and hired a couple teenagers to keep the kids entertained in another room for the ceremony and then everyone joined in on the following reception and it worked out great.

Set up a kids activity table for the kids to do

My Brother didnt want kids at his wedding besides mine and the flower girl and ring barrier! And I see why! My daughter cried when they did thier rings :joy::disappointed_relieved: but honestly some times weddings aren’t for kids. I say go for whatever you want ita ur day!!!

1 Like

Well, you’re making exceptions for 2 kids, so I can see why people are getting upset. But ultimately, it’s your wedding and your choice. Just don’t get offended if people decide not to come because of it.

1 Like

Your wedding do what you want! I’ve been to weddings before that was adults only. All good.

1 Like

Lol your making a rule of no one under 12 but then break it immediately for your son and the other kid? Lame rule and the only 2 kids at this long boring adult party will be so boring for them

4 Likes

Not at all! It’s your wedding, and it’s harder for adults to have as much fun when they have their kids. You do what you think is right for YOUR wedding

3 Likes

It’s your wedding, if you don’t want kids at your wedding then that’s your choice. Your family will just have to live with it

1 Like

If all your family and friends are at the wedding who’s watching the kids?
I say invite them it adds to the atmosphere. Kids running around playing chase & dancing it’s the best I say

1 Like

I nannied for one couple that hired myself and another girl to watch all of the kids for the entire ceremony and reception. It was pretty nice, the kids had fun playing with each other, we were in one big separate room so there was no bothering the guests or interrupting the ceremony, and the parents didn’t have to worry about finding a sitter. I’m sure it probably brought the cost down as well since the kids didn’t eat plated food with the rest of the guests, they had their own stuff that was all in the kids room.

3 Likes

Lmao is this really a question? Who tf would show up? I sure the hell wouldnt.

2 Likes

Absolutely not if you don’t want little kids completely understandable your day . Don’t be mad if someone doesn’t come though say ok

1 Like

If they want quality time, they can set time aside for a different day. It’s your wedding. Do what you want!

1 Like

You’re not wrong. Screw all these ppl that are all in their feelings about it. You usually pay per plate, soooo fck them kids LMAO It’s your day and if they’re that bothered by it, fck them too. Less ppl you gotta pay for.

It’s your wedding, my sister did the same thing the only children allowed was the ones in the wedding!

Good luck with anyone showing up​:joy::joy:

1 Like

For people who keep suggesting kids area ect its not about the area. She specifically mentioned the money. Weddings are expensive and charge a crap ton per person (even children)

3 Likes

Did same only kids allowed my son my nephew and niece im paying to feed them so i decide who can come. If they dont like it make them pay for themselves

1 Like

It’s your wedding do what u want but personally if I was invited to a wedding with a rule like this I would not go. I come with my kids package deal

2 Likes

Nope. It’s your day. !! #DoIt

If they want to bring kids then get them to pay for it! Or better yet go get married on your own and save yourself a fortune & all the stupid hassles

1 Like

Your wedding your rules, but if I was your family and my kids couldn’t go I wouldn’t

6 Likes

Well being the only child at the wedding he’s gunna love hanging out with all the adults. :woman_shrugging: