Is my baby eating enough?

My 4 day old is only drinking about 0.75 of an oz of formula and then gets too tired to finish the rest. I only make 1oz because everything says the first week is usually 1-2oz every 2-3 hours… but she’s only eating 0.75oz every 2 hours. But she does wake up to eat. So I’m confused?! She’s peeing and pooping

4 Likes

Always remember every child is different, your doing amazing :green_heart: congratulations on your beautiful blessing :green_heart::tada:

4 Likes

as long as she is eating every couple hours and having wet and soiled diapers 8 to 10 times in a 24 hour time frame. is she smaller than the average newborn or any other problems / issues? keep track of her eating and diapers, maybe she will catch up in a week or 2. Always remember you can ask your doctor or baby’s pediatrician if you’re unsure

2 Likes

If I was concerned that she gets to tired go finish an OZOf Formula I would take Her to a Pediatrician and make sure everything is ok

My youngest wouldn’t drink milk, very small amount for the first 8 weeks I had to change bottles etc just to try see if she would drink it and she wouldn’t but after about 8 week she started to, the health visitor kept an eye on her she kept dropping in weight and they came one day and said she’s lost quiet a bit and if she had dropped again the next time they come out which was 2 days later then she will have to go hospital luckily she started to drink milk and put a bit of weight back on so they wasn’t worried x

As long as she’s gaining weight, peeing and pooping regularly, there’s nothing to stress about!

3 Likes

As long as she’s eating, pooping and peeing she’s okay :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: my 19 month old wouldn’t eat allot either when she was an infant and she was and is a happy healthy little girl

2 Likes

U can try unswaddling and partially undressing baby during feedings to help them to stay awake longer and eat more. Just remember that baby’s stomach is approximately only the size of their fist.

They lose some weight in the beginning regardless. Just take her to the pediatrician for newborn checkups and weight checks if your concerned and make sure she has about 8 wet diapers per 24 hrs. I personally woke my baby’s up for first 1.5-2 weeks for feedings but mother knows their baby best. Your doing great!

If she’s only eating that and is consistent, I would say her belly is full. Keep an eye on pee output and her poop output should match her age in days (2 day old should have 2 or more poops, 3 day old should have 3 or more poops), after a couple weeks poop isn’t as much of a concern, but pee output shouldn’t decrease really. And if she’s waking to feed, I really wouldn’t worry, means she’s not lethargic or weak. :slight_smile:

As long as no weight loss and your getting dirty nappies I wouldn’t worry but worth mentioning at next appointment to put your mind at ease :sparkling_heart: congratulations on your baby xx

1 Like

a tongue tie could be making her to tired to finish because of how hard she has to suck ?

Follow the baby. Feed on demand.

1 Like