Is my husband an alcoholic or am I overreacting?

Yeah he’s probably an alcoholic.

1 Like

Functioning alcoholic

4 Likes

Huge problem building to a vicious eruption. He needs help!

Absolutely an alcoholic. May actually need an inpatient facility to detox safely. Time to get help. NOW.

You are not being dramatic. He is an alcoholic. He is not going to slow down or quit because he is addicted. He’s already lashing out and it’s not going to get better. He needs help now before things get worse.

2 Likes

He is a functioning alcoholic … It’s really something to worry about, because at that rate he is doing serious damage to his health. He might feel that he’s young and that he has all the time in the world to “cut back”, but when the damage catches up, it does so like a train wreck… and that short temper is just gonna get shorter … ive lived it …unless he willing to change … u have to makr a decision for u and the kids…

4 Likes

The first step in AA is “I’m powerless over alcohol and my life is unmanageable”. He needs to evaluate himself. You, making the determination will not help. Are you guys paying bills, showing up for work, challenged relationships, alcohol related events ie: dwi, fights, etc. If that is the case, he may need help. But again, if he’s not willing to admit and take action, it doesn’t matter what you think. Speaking from an alcoholic with 17 yrs continuous sobriety. Good luck!

1 Like

He is an alcoholic. My ex husband and ex fiance are both alcoholics. No alcoholic will stop or admit to a problem until they realize there is a problem which is often not until it is too late he won’t stop. The anger issues will get worse and will eventually turn to violence. Either get out because he won’t stop drinking or watchevery thing get worse one beer at a time.

2 Likes

He is an alcoholic.
He drinks every day

Ok so i do this. Started again recently. I know its due to stress. I can absolutely go without drinking no problem at all. I do it to cope. Which i know its not a good solution either. Ive always been a drinker but not as much as i do during these phases… It could be a phase. Or not. I go through these phases and then cut back for a long time. But every now and then…

1 Like

He needs to address it now before he gets worse

3 Likes

Maybe instead of jumping down his throat about it, simply talk to him and ask him if he’s okay, and how he’s coping with everything. Everyone deals with things in there own way and most stay quiet until someone shows they actually care.

5 Likes

To see if he is an alcoholic if he starts drinking around 1 pm make plans to go out befor he starts drinking and try and stay out for a few hours and see how he goes if he can’t stand being out without drinking them book him an appointment for a therapist to find out why he is drinking

6 Likes

Yup.
My husband does this on & off. I really hate it.

Hes what you’d call a functioning alcoholic. Not to scare you, but my father started out this way and I’m now 22 and don’t speak to him anymore because of how bad of a person he became because he let drinking become his entire life… get help while its still in early stages…

10 Likes

8-9 a day is excessive.

2 Likes

Yes ma’am!! Watch for the hidden liquor bottles!! Been thru it!! He either gets help or get out!! Rough life to live!!

4 Likes

I would be very worried. You are NOT overreacting.

4 Likes

He needs to see Dr for his hi b/p and alcoholism . He’ll have liver problems soon. Make sure he has good life insurance. He’ll be using it soon. All that alcohol …less money for family time and vacation.

Bright red skin is probably high BP from drinking so he needs to at least get that checked out

3 Likes

Yes this is alcholism

Honestly my ex husband and my dad are both alcoholics my ex husband would start drinking soon as he woke up and until he passed out even went to work drinking and everything else you name it he did it with and he even got alcohol posion and had to have him in the hospital because of it and he didn’t care not once on what the Drs had to say so I ended up divorcing him

1 Like

Defiantly a alcoholic, speaking from experience he is a functional alcoholic.

1 Like

It’s spelled alcoholism. Ask him to spend just ONE day without drinking. Remove ALL of the alcohol. That’s your answer.

1 Like

Maybe address it now while finances, home and bedroom are doing ok. When the finances and homes start going downwards than it’s gonna get even worst.

Red faced is blood pressure. Untreated BP issues will lead to heart attack or stroke and it’s nothing to play with.

I would be very concerned.

Ask him to go one weekend without drinking. If he can’t make it then you know and will have to make your choices on what to do from there.

1 Like

I just want to say that if he’s getting angry that you’re asking for something small that’s the start of emotional abuse which is abuse and which typically escalates.

5 Likes

Functional alcoholics exsist… they can still Function and keep it a secret from everyone.
My dad was an alcoholic and drank from the time he woke up till he passed out. That being said, drinking like that is what creates alcoholics.

1 Like

The longer he goes on this way the harder it will be to stop and resulting complications will multiply

1 Like

Definitely. Needs help asap

The fact that you are asking if you are over reacting is a red flag, and I do not mean that in a criticizing way. It’s harder to recognize a functioning alcoholic verses a alcoholic because it’s exactly that functioning alcoholics function like a sober person so most functioning ones do not see it as a addiction(they still work and perform all their roles successfully) You shouldn’t have to test him on things to see if he can/will do them without drinking, if drinking wasn’t his old normal and has become his new norm, there is a problem. It was just a few in the beginning now it’s 8/9 next it will be 14/15, it’s not uncommon for alcoholics to just drink beer. You can’t fix him, more then likely if you start saying something he will back off for a bit but at some point it will go back to being exactly like it is now maybe worse. At some point you will probably start to hate the smell of beer on his mouth and cringe when you hear that cap twist off the bottle, or can open. I’m not saying break your family up but the chances of you and your babies competing with an addiction and coming out the winner is like rolling dice it’s a gamble and not a fun game to play. I pray for you and your family! Your young and I’m sure beautiful and smart in just a few years your life has already changed some, start picturing 5 years from now! I wish you all the luck in the world :two_hearts:

1 Like

Alcoholic can be a broad term. Whether an alcoholic or abusing alcohol -it sounds like there is an issue, especially if you are questioning it.

If he can’t go 1 day without alcohol…. He is an alcoholic!

Secondly the fact he is getting upset / angry / losing his temper when he is drinking is called Emotional abuse.

It’s not for you to decide if he’s an alcoholic or not. You absolutely can express your concerns (when he’s sober) and try to come up with a solution together if he’s willing.

Y’all are in your 20s like seriously? If he was in his 30s or 40s I can see it but in his 20s shit let him live. Hes got babies and a wife and who knows what else is going on. Like shit how much do you spend on makeup or how much do you put on? Like c’mon. You both are in your 20s just stop. If you cant handle him drinking 9 beers then your the problem. 9 beers aint shit and be thankful hes not drinking whiskey and cheating on you.

Sounds like my dad. It’ll never change.

Yeah he has an issue. It needs to be dealt with. Not a fun thing to deal with but if he respects your marriage, you should be able to voice your concerns and talk about it. If he he can’t talk about it with you without blowing up, then you will have to draw a line.

Most alcoholics drink beer.