Is this normal?

Anyone else’s preschoolers just want to cry all day after school and complain that they’re so tired??? She’s getting 10-11 hours of sleep all night which sounds decent to me. No naps at preschool and if she takes one at home she’ll be up till 1am. I’m ready to just pull her out till kindergarten. She loves school but at home she’s always cranky and sleepy, won’t even play with her toys.

5 Likes

Have you ruled out the possibility of any medical issues? Is she experiencing anything else like increased urination or is she thirsty all the time? I had a friend whose child was diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 4. Her primary complaint was that she was sleeping a lot and always tired to where it affected her normal behavior.

6 Likes

Could she have enlarged tonsils? My daughter was having problems with being tired during the day even when it seemed like she was sleeping all night. But then I found out her tonsils were enlarged making it hard for her to breath at night which meant she wasn’t getting restful sleep

She’s overstimulated, maybe? Like she used up all her good manners and happiness at school? Not a nap, but try quiet time when she gets home. 30 mins or more of alone time with books, puzzles, toys, or a movie or show, etc and high-protein snacks so she can “rest” and recharge emotionally. She sounds like an academic introvert with low blood sugar after a long day.

3 Likes

You don’t mention how long pre school is or how old you kid is? My daughter is 4 and goes for 2.5 hours,4 days a week. It’s perfect for us. It’s near the end of the year so we’ve transitioned from nap to no naps ( although she’s a sweetheart and will take a nap with mommy if I absolutely need one). She can get really super cranky at the end of the day or right before dinner so I give her veggies to snack on while I cook. It’s a kid thing. Pre school is amazing for kids ( ESPECIALLY if they are going to K next year) and I would stick through it, if it’s an all day thing just find one that is 2 hours, it’s very common.

My son is in preschool for 5 hours but also no nap. Sometimes he’ll nap after school sometimes not. Maybe she’s over tired and maybe depending on bedtime she needs more/less sleep?

1 Like

Try a diffrent preschool program… see if it changes. Id say she sounds like shes having anxiety.

My daughter napped until Kindergarten, and then took about a month to adjust to her new normal. She sleeps an hour longer at night to make up for it. Some kids need that full 12 hours of sleep!

My son had to sleep 12-13 for him to up abd a go for kindergarten. Some kids just need more sleep. I’d put him to sleep by 7 and up by 6:30. But he’s also had enlarged tonsils & now doctors will be removing them because He’s had restless nights for a long period of time.

Try a pre school that does nap time. It’s usually just an hour nap or at least that’s how the preschool my son goes to does it. 1 hour nap a day

My daughter is 4 and goes to pre k from 815-215. The first month she was like this. It takes time to adjust.

I would pull her. Play at home is the best teacher to that age group in my opinion

1 Like

Needs a nap or at least rest/quiet time

PreK my daughter is in still does nap time/quiet time for 2 hours each day. She doesn’t nap much anymore. She sleeps more on the weekends at night than during the week but by 5/6pm doesn’t matter if she’s had a nap or not she is cranky. Might be more than just tired and just doesn’t know how to express it.

She should be taking a nap at school.

2 Likes

Kids sometimes need a break I used to send mine every other day, it helped big time then he gradually started going everyday. Maybe try that

With my son full day was to much for him and he was overwhelmed so I did half days and turn out good for him so time be 9 to 1 and he come home nap and he be happy

Try to get her super tired and put to be slowly earlier like 15 mins earlier then 20 mins ealier then 30. Generally speaking toddlers need 12-14 hours a day whether at night or combined with a nap during the day.

Well I have heard in some states they let you get it as long as your kid goes to college and until they graduate.