I've Been Needing to Take a Nap Every Single Day Lately: Should I Be Worried?

QUESTION:

"So I have four kids under 7 years old. Lately, for the past month, I’ve needed a nap every day.

If I don’t take a nap, my face feels tingly, and I go through a moment where I feel like my throat is closing up, also my thoughts race.

I do get enough sleep at night; I homeschool, my kids sleep through the night. I did get these feelings before, but it would happen once in a GREAT while.

But lately, it has been happening every day for the past month. I did go through a ‘slump’ 2 weeks ago, but I’m ok now. Anyone experience this?"

RELATED QUESTION: What is nap time like for your 1-year-old?

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

“Yes. Anxiety makes me have these symptoms! Could also maybe be your thyroid.”

“Taking a nap is a good way to unload after a sensory overload. Which is what it sounds like. Maybe try meditation or a quiet place for a few mins to let go of the extra feelings.”

“I suffer from anxiety and find what you’re describing happens to me when I’m too stressed/burnt out and that starts up panic attacks. Do what you need to do to feel better hun even if it is a nap and I also suggest talking to your doctor.”

“Sounds like anxiety/depression, also sounds like your overwhelmed and doing too much. My advice would be to slow down and find time to relax away from everything even if it’s just 5 minutes. When I get overwhelmed usually down time makes a huge difference for me.”

“I’d say it sounds like anxiety. I’d try to maybe figure out medication that may help. Wish you the best!”

“Talk to your doctor. Could be a lot of things causing this such as anxiety or depression, anemia, low b12, thyroid, etc.”

“I feel like I need a nap if I have a day off and I’m taking care of my daughter all day. The nap kinda helps me ‘reset’ and get through the second half of my day.”

“Get your B12 levels checked. I was like this too. Extremely fatigued. I was having tingling in my face also. Felt like my lips were numb and my nose. Just a suggestion. They don’t normally check B12 on regular blood work.”

“I also feel like if I don’t nap I can’t function. I have previously tested positive for hypothyroidism and wasn’t able to be prescribed meds as I was pregnant at the time. I haven’t gone back yet but I really think that’s what it is. Maybe go get some blood work done?”

“Life at this moment is difficult for everyone. It’s totally normal to need a nap. Especially taking care of small children. They can suck every ounce of energy you have. Also, you are playing many different roles (mom, teacher, etc) Enjoy your nap, and thank goodness that you have the opportunity to rest. I take a nap every chance I get.”

“A medical check-up never hurts and blood tests will calm your mind. This is new territory we are living in now. Stressors are all around us now more than ever. If a nap helps, by all means, take a nap! I love to read and there are times when I open my book, my body needs to shut down for a bit. I call them power naps.”

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW:

13 Likes

I have one kid, and feel like I need a nap every day. You have a lot going on, it’s ok to be tired.

1 Like

Sounds like a panic attack. Talk to your doctor.

1 Like

Sounds like anxiety…you can talk to your primary dr or reach out to a therapist

1 Like

Taking a nap is a good way to unload after a sensory overload. Which is what it sounds like. Maybe try meditation or a quiet place for a few mins to let go of the extra feelings

3 Likes

I nap every day off. If I don’t I feel shakey and like I am going crazy.
If this is happening and you aren’t comfortable then go to your doctor. Even if it isnt anything its still a good idea to get checked out.

Yes. Anxiety makes me have these symptoms! Could also maybe be your thyroid.

5 Likes

I’d say it sounds like anxiety. I’d try to maybe figure out medication that may help. Wish you the best!

I also feel like if I don’t nap I can’t function. I have previously tested positive for hypothyroidism and wasn’t able to be prescribed meds as I was pregnant at the time. I haven’t gone back yet but I really think that’s what it is. Maybe go get some blood work done?

Sounds like anxiety/panic attacks

1 Like

Sounds like depression.

I have four kids as well a 9year old girl and 3,2,1 year olds boys I understand completely and with me it’s just my depression and anxiety my doctor prescribed me something for it and since then it’s just once in a blue moon I have those feelings now

Get your thyroid checked. A full CBC would be a good idea, too.

2 Likes

Talk to your Dr. Homeschooling even if you mean virtual school (which is not homeschooling) is stressful. You may need medicine.

Sounds like panic attacks… That’s exactly how I felt when an attack would start

1 Like

Get your B12 levels checked. I was like this too. Extremely fatigued. I was having tingling in my face also. Felt like my lips were numb and my nose. Just a suggestion. They don’t normally check B12 on regular blood work.

1 Like

Get your thyroid checked :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Talk to your doctor. Could be a lot of things causing this such as anxiety or depression, anemia, low b12, thyroid, etc.

1 Like

I would get a blood test. It’s usually an indicator that my iron’s really low when I start feeling the need to nap everyday. Iron deficiency can have other weird symptoms too.

Sounds like anxiety from being burned out.

I’d say speak with your doctor, no advice from anyone else!!!

1 Like

Been there done that for sure. Now I take thrive. It has been a god send since I started taking. It has filled my nutritional gaps. I feel amazing now.

Sounds like anxiety/depression, also sounds like your overwhelmed and doing to much. My advice would be slow down and find time to relax away from everything even if its just 5 minutes. When i get overwhelmed usually down time makes a huge difference for me.

1 Like

I’d say anxiety. I feel this a lot

Check your blood pressure.

Same Ive been taking naps every day now. I’m currently pregnant so that’s probably what it is. But all I wanna do is sleep, and I barely eat

I map everyday while my kids are in school

If you have your thyroid checked ask them to specifically check you for hashimotis. I thought I was dying before I was diagnosed.

I’d suggest getting mental health help and taking a pregnancy test. I hope all goes well momma! You aren’t alone

I suffer from anxiety and find what your describing happens to me when im too stressed/burnt out and that starts up panic attacks. Do what you need to do to feel better hun even if it is a nap and i also suggest talking to your doctor x

1 Like

It sounds like an anxiety attack however you could be deficient on minerals or vitamins. I have calcium problems and when my calcium gets too low my face begins to tingle and I’m very very tired and all my muscles ache and my heart will start to race. If I were you I would go see a doctor have them run a panel of labs just to make sure everything’s okay.
And my calcium deficiency stems from thyroid and para thyroid problems.

Doctor.
Explain it to them as this is not normal at all. Good luck.

I feel like I need a nap if I have a day off and I’m taking care of my daughter all day. The nap kinda helps me “reset” and get through the second half of my day.

You vitamin D may be low

Life at this moment is difficult for everyone. It’s totally normal to need a nap . Especially taking care of small children. They can suck every ounce of energy you have . Also you are playing many different roles (mom, teacher etc) Enjoy your nap and thank goodness that you have the opportunity to rest. I take a nap every chance I get .

1 Like

This could be symptoms of depression or anxiety, I o ow when I’m run down and fighting my depression and anxiety I need naps which sometimes dont do anything to jelp

Make a doctors appointment and go

It could be seizures I would talk with your doctor

Honey you have 4 children and with every thing going on in the world they are probably under your feet all the time …put them down for a ap and just take one your self.
Believe me I know I had 5 6 and under lol

My anxiety does this to me when I get too overwhelmed/overstimulated.

Sounds like anxiety i get it when I’m stressed or tired I barely sleep though.

Could be allergy symptoms

I would go talk to your doctor and ask for blood work to rule out thyroid disfunction.

1 Like

Get checked out to see if you’re low on iron or B12, otherwise sleep apnoea if you’re stopping breathing in your sleep and not aware you’re doing it

I would get checked. I was having lots of fatigue and was diagnosed w Lupus. I still keep myself busy but do get fatigue.

1 Like

I too think to have your thyroid checked. I have experience similar symptoms before but found out it was from my anxiety spiking.

3 Likes

Go to the doctors and get a full check up. Iron, thyroid, vitamins like B12 etc…xx

2 Likes

You def. Need blood work, thyroid, blood count and a few more test. You should do this sooner than later

Get checked but I had anxiety

Health check, are you overweight?

Get your thyroid checked.

4 Likes

Medical, lots of things from low iron or potassium to hormones.
You also may of just worn yourself raggedy and your body is demanding a break. Either way see a dr.

I’d see a doctor.
It could be anything from anxiety to a hormone imbalance to a thyroid issue even something more serious like MS.
Without proper medical testing there is no way to know tho. So that would be my first step

3 Likes

I’ve been having the same thing the last few weeks, soon as my toddler is asleep my body shuts down not always by choice

get your thyroid tested. I get twitches on my face when my meds need adjusting (I’ve been on thyroid meds for a few years now).

Anxiety? Stressful times lately for sure! Best of luck🍀

2 Likes

I would recommend getting your thyroid tested. Also if those episodes continue ask about possible seizure activity. It’s shocking how under diagnosed seizures are and the variety of symptoms they can cause. Good luck!!

1 Like

I did the exact same thing and found out I had hyperthyroidism. You should go to the doctor and get some blood work done to be safe.

Mate…sounds like you need a holiday away from everything to gather your you again. 4 kids under 7 is a big job. Get some you time and more rest than you think you need I recon. I get like that with 2 kids. I’ve had 2 breaks in 4 years. We both need to get away for a while.

It sounds like anxiety panic attacks i have dealt with it for years but have been on medication for it and it has worked great for me

1 Like

I got 4 kids a husband that doesn’t do nothing and I manage I’ve lost 80lbs in 3 months

1 Like

You need to see a doctor!

4 Likes

Get you some vitamin b 12 , you could be low on it.

A medical check up never hurts and blood tests will calm your mind. This is new territory we are living in now. Stressors are all around us now more than ever. If a nap helps, by all means take a nap! I love to read and there are times when I open my book, my body needs to shut down for a bit. I call them power naps.

could be many different health related issues get dr and blood work just to make sure isnt health related

I was like this ended up it was my thyroid

1 Like

Yep sounds like low thyroid level

Have your vitamin D and B checked. Could be anemia i have low in both and feel this way often

Could you be pregnant?

blood pressure maybe

I’ve been feeling like this for awhile, my blood work is showing problems with my thyroid

Make a Doctor’s appointment.

Have you taken a pregnancy test?
You definitely have a lot on your plate. I say pregnacy test bc I felt this way before I knew I was pregnant. But I do think blood work is a good idea to see what is going on with your body.

1 Like

Sounds like an anxiety/panic attacks… I get them…

I’ve got thyroid issues n was-still am…going thru the same thing.Id call your doctor n get some bloodwork/scan done.Not saying that’s what it is…but its a possibility.Good luck…

It sounds like you got a lot on your plate! You need a break! Talk to your dr. , take care of yourself first and foremost those kids need you strong and health❤

Go to your doctor, you may need a touch of anxiety or mood stabilizer medicine. It helped me tremendously, don’t feel guilty about taking something, that’s what it’s for, to help you feel better.

No idea honestly, but 4 kids under 7 would wear me down