My 1-week-old is super gassy and won't poop: Advice?

I have a son who is one week old today. I am breastfeeding. He hasn’t pooped since Saturday night… he is super gassy! Basically came out farting!!! Anyways my question is, are there things I should be eating to help him poop? I am kind of at a loss. The pediatrician told me just to keep feeding him, and he will poop, but it will be almost a week now since he has pooped. I have done a little reading online, but nothing I read really answered my question.

3 Likes

just consult with your doc ! if they think everything is fine, i wouldn’t stress yourself over it too much

1 Like

My pediatrician told me when my son was that small to mix a teaspoon of dark karo corn syrup in each bottle until he poops. After two bottles we had explosions. Ever since then any time he got constipated bad it has been my go too

Breastfed babies are super efficient so they can go quite a while without pooping and it is normal. I do reccomend the windi to help with gas though

6 Likes

my baby had the same problem give him a little drop of this. it says 6m+ but he will be perfectly fine just give very little. i gave it to mine. its all natural. :blush:

Don’t eat foods that give you gas like turnips

1 oz Prune juice with 1 oz water

1 Like

They had my daughter put a little brown sugar in his milk they don’t do karo syrup anymore

I’ve heard it’s normal for them not to poop for a few days to a week. But do consult your doctor. If you’re breast feeding maybe change your diet. Or formula ask the doctor. Idk if you lil is too young for gripe water but again ask your doctor usually if you call you can speak to a nurse

1 Like

Babies dont need to poop like adults, jus lt saying. The caro worked like a charm but i dont think you should give a 1 week old that

1 Like

When he poops, he will poop!!! He nor you need anything! Your doing fine. It will come in time.

Windi and a belly massage

Lay him on his back, bend his knees in circles around his stomach and then do the motion his legs are riding a bike. It wont make him immediately poop,but will give him pressure release

9 Likes

Breast babies dont poop as often as formula babies. Totally normal. If he isn’t showing any signs of discomfort he is fine .

1 Like

Wild guess here… but… doctors :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

My son was breastfed and formula fed and would often go up to 5 days not pooping. It’s normal for EBF babies to go up to a week! As long as baby isn’t in pain or uncomfortable, he is fine!

My dr mentioned babies that age need to poop at least 3x a day. I’d go to the dr and get checked cuz that could be a sign of dehydration.

If you’re exclusively breast feeding they can go up to 10 days without pooping before you need to start worrying/going to see a doctor. Since your baby is just a week old, it’s likely that they are just taking up every bit of nutrition you’re putting in their body! I found with my girls that they would poop more when they comfort fed as opposed to when they were just feeding for hunger. My youngest I recall didn’t poop for about a week but then got a slight cold and wasn’t feeling well so she was feeding constantly - and started pooping a bunch. It wasn’t sick poop either, it was just normal poop. You can try offering the breast more often if you want them to get to poopin.

3 Likes

My nan told me this old wives tale and it works. A plain tablespoon of brown sugar disolved in boiled water, allow to cool. Problem will be solved.

A pinch of Dark Kyro Syrup

Breastfed babies absorb almost all of the nutrients so there is very little waste for them to get rid of. It is normal for them to sometimes go a week without pooping.

3 Likes

If your child is breastfed it can take a week to a week and a half. Formula should be about 1x a day of every other day

1 Like

Gas drops. They always helped my son poop,

Bicycle kicks or lay baby on one of your arms long ways, stomach side down and use your hand to support head/neck. Puts a little pressure on the belly to help get gas moving. Both helped my gassy babes a lot. Talk to ped about mylicon drops or gripe water.

1 Like

Newborn breastfeed not poop often

1 Like

Newborns can literatelly go from having a poop to about 7-10days witbout pooping… Its normal you can even google that. My son had the same issue… If you really want him to poop… Take a rextal themometer with a-n-d ointment or vaseline and run it in circles around their poo-holes and it loosens it up

1 Like

Please do not give a 1 week old baby anything other than your perfectly designed breast milk! Probably is intolerance to something that YOU are eating, dairy is usually the big trigger. Cut down on your dairy intake, and carbonation and sugar intake, and see if that helps. The bicycle move really does work wonders, and as lots of other ladies have mentioned, breastfed babies do not poop on the regular like formula fed babies. Having said that, you know your baby best, if your mom intuition is going off, take that sweet baby to the pediatrician, and also have him tested for a tongue tie . Tongue ties are not always super obvious to untrained L&D staff, and it can affect how much air they are getting with the breast milk. But prune juice, Karo syrup, brown sugar etc, there is a reason those all make babies poop, and it’s because there little tiny digestive systems are not designed to handle those substances.

1 Like

Echoing others breast fed babies can easily go a week make sure he has wet diapers and tooting with out pain is not an issue. Breast milk is the perfect food and gets absorbed with very little waste Just make sure he’s peeing

I read that drinking more water could help
The foremilk might help

Try rubbing his tummy and incorporating prunes and more water in your diet

One drop of the clear caro syrup in one bottle a day. Shake it up real good. It’s a natural laxative. Works wonders

1 Like

If the baby is breastfed they might not poop as much. We always had good luck with gripe water, our baby would poop within 10 minutes.

Cooled boiled water and sugar

1 Like

Feed a bit of water and apple juice and gas relief drops. It works wonders for constipated babies.

I used gas drops for my baby and he was fine! They have them for newborns!

The question isnt are there things I can be eating to make him poop, it’s what shouldn’t I be eating to make him poop. Some babies are very sensitive to what the mothers eating usually to dairy ingested by the mother.

Baby suppository should be pooping

1 Like

I had to stimulate my little girl with a cotton bud and vaseline. She started pooping after that.

2 Likes

It’s normal. If none after 10 days call the pediatrician.

Some breastfed babys only poop once a week!
Keep moving his legs to help keep the gas moving!

3 Likes

So the gassy part… cut back on dairy or switch to non dairy. No broccoli, garlic, cauliflower, onion, stuff like that. You gotta figure out what’s causing the gas. Everything you eat goes to him and they have tiny sensitive tummies. The poop part- he’s breastfed. It’s basically pure and that means he doesn’t have so much gunk in his gut to break down and expel. So not pooping is pretty normal. Constipation is a different story. If his face is turning red and he’s grunting really hard on top of no poops for almost a week I would take him in. If not, he’s a normal breastfed baby. Good luck mama!!

As long as he is peeing I think your good. Babies especially breastfeed babies do not have to poop everyday. They can go sometimes a week with no poops. What is important is if he is peeing so you know he isn’t dehydrated and it’s not something like he isn’t getting enough milk from your boobs or something. If you are still concerned another trip to the doctor won’t hurt or you can always call. But I don’t think you really have to worry as long as you keep getting pee dipes

He’s still eating ok. It s normal for breastfed babies to not poop for up to a week. If he’s turning yellow or green ish or spits up something that’s not breast milk, then you need medical assistance.

It’s normal for breastfed babies to not poop but maybe once a week but the gas is most likely coming from food you are eating. It was pasta for me that would give my little ones gas so think about what you’ve been talking in when he is hassy

Breastfed babies can go a week or longer without pooping because their bodies are able to absorb almost all of the nutrients from the breastmilk, and there’s not much, if any, waste left. Gas just means there’s air trapped, so try to bicycle the legs to release the trapped gas. No need for Caro syrup or prune juice or anything. Unless baby is in obvious pain and really straining to go, no need to panic! If it does become an issue, try staying away from foods that cause constipation or cause gas (for mom) and add more foods with natural fiber. Baby will get that from you.

It’s norm for bf babies, peds right keep feeding him as much as possible. Stay way from foods that make you gassy ( does same to baby) and make sure you’re burping him a lot

My 7 week old only poops once a week or so and she is breastfed. It’s completely normal since breast milk is basically everything they need there’s less waste produced. As far as baby being gassy…make sure you stay away from gassy foods (beans, onions, etc.) Drink no more than 4oz. Of caffeine a day and drink lots of water. Newborns systems are still trying to learn how to work so gassy babies are completely normal! Bring it up to you pediatrician next appointment or make one sooner if you think it’s troubling baby (she looks like she’s in pain, inconsolable, etc.)

Stop eating dairy for a couple of weeks.
It may be as simple as that.

Has baby been accessed for tongue/lip ties? Also breastfed babies can go up to 10 days without pooping.
I suggest you join a breastfeeding group because there is so much misinformation about breastfeeding

As a rule of thumb BF babies can go up to 7 days without pooping.
As long as the belly isn’t extremely hard you should be ok.
As for the gassy - are you burping baby every time they nurse? The air will have to come out one way or another and the farting is a lot more painful.
My second daughter is now 2 weeks old and gets gassy when I don’t get a good burp.

Take him back to the pediatrician, a week is too long and he may be constipated. My pediatrician said my bf baby should be pooping at least once every 3 days. At this age theres really nothing else you can give to him without a prescription and direct instructions.

My baby has been gassy since day one but it’s never seemed to bother him. He’s just as happy as could be while he let’s it all loose!:joy: As long as he doesn’t seem to be in pain or straining to get the gas out, he’s most likely fine. But trust your mama instinct and take him to a second ped if you want! It’s worth the piece of mind. You can also give a quarter ounce or less of prune/cranberry juice. I did with my babe when he was about 2 weeks old because I didn’t know about the whole cluster feeding in the evening thing (:roll_eyes:) so I thought he was constipated and tried EVERYTHING to get him to poop. It didn’t make him poop, but it didn’t do any damage either. He was the same as before drinking it. I used a medicine dropped to make sure he got a small amount. I even did the thermometer in the butt and he never would. Even now at 4 months old he only poops every other/every few days. It is completely okay if they poop once a week too, though!

If you’re breastfeeding your baby may not poop more than every several days; up to two weeks actually. Warm baths and “bicycle legs” help to move things. Try different positions for burping your baby as well to help with gassiness. If you are bottle feeding perhaps try a lactose free formula?

My son is 2 months old and poops every other week. This is normal for breastfeeding babies, there’s not much waste left he’s using everything your giving. My boy is also very gassy lol. Not just my opinion I’ve been to a few pediatricians

Bicycle kicks, stretches, warm bath.

Normal. My 7 week just went through this. She finally pooped two huge diapers. But is back to no dirty diapers. But she’s peeing a ton.
I have read it can take a bf baby 2 weeks sometimes.

Also read you can use non scented vaseline with a infant thermometer and insert it like your taking their temp.

But i didn’t find that it helped any.