My 10-month-old will not go to sleep at a decent time: Advice?

Bath at 830 9 is way to late. Start bed time routine a lot earlier

2 Likes

Someone is letting her sleep to much

3 Likes

She might be napping too much and too late in the day. My son is 7mo, wakes up at 6AM, takes 3 30 minutes naps, last one being at 2:30. Has dinner & bath at 5:30-6:30 and is asleep by 7. I don’t give him much stimulation later than 5pm, other than some cuddles, a teether, reading, bath, stuff like that. And i make sure his room is dim and soothing and that’s where we go straight after dinner/bath until bedtime. That has worked for us. I know everyone is different though. Good luck!

She needs to be awake more during the day. She’s had plenty of time to sleep so, she just wants to play. Bath time is whenever you, as a parent sets it. She is wound up because she is sleeping TOO much. Tell your sitter this is her schedule, please, follow it.

Child care provider. Ask how much she is sleeping there in their care. Then make changes for them to follow if naps are to long.

Feed her till she full and then give her a bath then try to put her to bed but do that all right before putting her to sleep so she full clean and happy usually they get tired after that that’s what we do with my son…

Find a different day care ,probably sleeping too long in daytime.i seen this happen adult didn’t want to bother with child put them to bed .yes they slept but at night told grand parent problem solved they all lived together maybe child sleeping to long in daytime.

Feed her baby food before her bath then top it off with soft music, no TV or bright lights she should go straight to sleep :sleeping: a small warm bottle too if needed

My son is 3 going on 4 next month and still does this, no naps and we have quiet time.

How do you not know how long your child sleeps during the day ? Any in home or daycare provider would provide that info. That is worrisome…

2 Likes

https://images.app.goo.gl/47tQf4RW3bgH9J977

We used this book with both kids and it was a lifesaver. Based on what we learned I’d say you’re starting your nighttime routine too late so your baby might be overtired which makes it harder to fall asleep. I also don’t think that at that age they should need to wake to feed at night so it’s probably more of a comfort thing. Went through it with our kids too but after reading this book it was night and day in 3 days. Seriously. Good luck mama!

1 Like

Push her morning nap up earlier and no nap after 5p

Start your evening routine right after dinner. If your SO gets home later then feed her first and start her bath right after.

Turn most lights off before you give her a bath. That way she knows its time to start calming down.

1 Like

The sitter should have a schedule nap time. With a routine that you can also do. Children thrive with routine

1 Like

Get a new routine for her (during the day included) and start getting her ready for bed 2 hours before. but some kids just dont sleep. Mines about to be 2 he sleeps when he feels like it and still wakes up every 30 mins to 1 hour at night. My 2 oldest slept fine at that age.

1 Like

That is too late to start her bedtime routine… most babies this age are asleep at least by 8. My own 10 month old baby rarely naps during the day so will often fall asleep by 7. You should find out what her nap schedule is like from whoever is watching her in daytime, but if she’s overtired that can also make bedtime extremely hard. I would suggest moving bathtime to right after dinner for your baby, maybe she is too tired and gets grumpy and fussy and fights bedtime because of that :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

How to get back your ex lover back fast and reliable, contact Dr goko for help,he is the best spell caster in the world his spell has no problem is spell brought back my lover that divorce and brought back my sister lover back to her so if you need is help contact him on email.(Dr.gokospellhome12@gmail. com or you can also reach him on whatsapp +2349064938931 for help and he will help you

1 Like

Start the bath bedtime routine around 6 and try to have her laying down by 7. I’m not sure what your schedule looks like but this worked for my son. Also try moving up her nap/s. I would never let my son nap past 4 so that way he has plenty of time to play and be tired by bedtime. Establishing a beddtime now is so important for your little one! My son is 2 and we have stuck to his bedtime since he’s was about 6 months old.

2 Likes

My daughter is almost ten months. She’s been on a sleep schedule for a while. I don’t let her nap after 7pm and she takes one or two naps through the day. We wake up around 7/8 am and we go to bed between 9-12 (depends on if I work in the morning). How I got her on her sleep schedule was by limiting her naps and keeping her awake during the day as much as I could (of course letting her take naps if she wanted but limited them after a certain time) to let her realize day from night. I would talk to whoever watches your child through the day and ask them to try keeping her up more in the day.

I would ask her childcare provider when she takes naps. Limit them to one hour after lunch and that is it. I would also start her nighttime routine earlier than 8:30 or 9:00. That is pretty late for a child her age.

Bath time should be at 7 moisturize pjs read her a book in a rocking chair turn the tvs and lights off at 8 say night night sing her twinkle twinkle little star as you put her to bed at 8

You need to put her on a schedule or atleast limit the amount of naps she does a day, tell whoever watches her during the day. And then give her a lavender bath

1 Like

Try lavender in her bath. Warm formula

That’s too late. You need to find out her schedule during the day and tell them she needs a better sleep schedule.

We did nap from 1130-1:00/130 and then we let ours have their bottle around 7:00 and sat down with them to watch a cartoon show so they know it’s approaching bed time and then when show is done 730 we would have to rock with him in the rocker and then when almost asleep in bed he went . Routines are important ! They had their times when it was play time then nap then play then bath and then cartoon time and bed

1 Like

If your baby is in daycare then more then likely the baby is napping for a few hours or longer this happened to me last year when my daughter was in head start they would have her napping from 1 to 3 every day so I started picking her up at 1 before nap time I told them not to make her take a nap have her sit down and read a book at the table but they never did

My daughter was the same way. Lavender didn’t help, regardless of what people say.
Routine is key! Now she is usually in bed, asleep before 9. This just happened though. We’re also down to just 1 nap a day.
She isn’t an early riser either.
I hope you get it figured out soon. I know how important sleep is to function!

A lot of great advice here. Essentially most agree no naps after mid afternoon , early dinner then bathtime and bed. No caffeine of course and no sugary drinks, particularly late in the day. When my girls were babies, I would give them about 30 minutes of playtime after dinner while I cleaned up the kitchen. Then the bath, nurse or give a bottle while holding them in a rocking chair. Then one last diaper check then off to bed. I tried not to lay them down with a bottle at night because they get sleepy then drop it and cry and it repeats itself. The most important thing is to establish a routine. In a very short time, baby will know when it’s bedtime. Also, don’t try to keep the home absolutely silent because then any sounds wake them up. In my opinion, the lights should be dimmed but a little sound is good. They get accustomed to going to sleep with it and everyone doesn’t have to tiptoe around the house whispering.

1 Like

If theres one part of parenting I feel like I handled extremely well, it was sleep training. Start now, you’ll thank yourself later.

Most have already said it, communicate about her daytime sleep habits daily, it’s super important for how you map out the evening. Definitely bump that bed time up, have a bath by 6:30 and bed by 7, even if you need to spend some time with her and leave and go back to the room a couple times, you’ll be less tired and more patient about it. Let babe cry a little, you know their distress cries by now, they will learn they can rely on you to check on them when it matters but also that fake crying isn’t an automatic out or procrastination for bed time. Do stuff in the room too, read, sing, rock, I had so much joy during this stage despite the first week or so being hard. You can also get ambient noise machines/lullabies and ceiling light projectors, I used those too. My kid is 3 1/2 and rarely protests going to bed, hasnt for a very long time. It’s important for you both, try not to feel any guilt about the process, it’s all done in love. Hope you this thread brings good results ! :blush:

Routine, routine routine. Home, super, bath with lavender bubble bath, lotion, book or two with a snack and nigh nigh time. :relaxed: Start early, not at 8:30. We start this process by 6:30 at night

Sounds like she is getting too much sleep during the day. Tell whoever is watching her to cut back on her nap time. If she’s taking 2 naps a day, cut it to one. If it’s only one nap, cut the time on that nap. If my son takes a nap anymore, even for 20 minutes (he’s almost 4) he doesn’t want to go to bed at night.

1 Like

Definitely probably sleeping to much during the day time! Talk to whoever has her and set a schedule for when she can nap and when she needs to be awake by.

Change up the routine find out what’s happening during the day (get them to write a :notebook_with_decorative_cover:daily diary and you give them a night version ) also tell who looks after little one you want to try something else . My daughter never slept properly until she was nearly 3 and that was with taking naps out during the day

1 Like

My babies at that age did not settle till around the same time. When they 2 to 4 yrs they settle earlier. Read stories etc. Enjoy them while they little.

Is she hyper or crying at night. If she is, she’s more than likely not getting enough sleep.

Talk to her daycare and dont let them give her a nap so late in the day, she must be sleeping there too much!

Routine for sure. Ik u mentioned u work during the day so have whoever watches LO to limit the naps or length of naps. Also, isn’t good to nap too close to bedtime. My soon to be 11mo is in bed usually by 7ish n usually sleeps til 530-6…but because of the hour back bs, he has been waking around 430 but still is asleep around 7…so it isnt too bad. His naps are short and his last nap is b4 dinner…then we keep him up…then its bath, bottle, n bed. We stay consistent in scheduling w food and routine etc. It wont happen overnight but it will help. Also, we swear by red lighting at night so he knows its bedtime n helps him know if he wakes up briefly, he normally goes right back to sleep. And he hasnt had a feeding during the night since he was about 4mths or so. It’s what he’s used to plus he eats like a champ during the day. I hope it all works out for ya

Start turning off all the lights and make your house dark and calming at least an hour before bed, helps them wind down and relax :slight_smile:

Who watches her while u work? I would talk to them about getting her to stay awake a little more. Maybe they are not interacting with her much during the day, & she is sleeping a lot?