My 10 year old started her period...advice?

Good afternoon Mamas Advice I’m pretty sure my 10 year old just started her period I never had my mother growing up how do I go about talking with her making her feel comfortable? How did other moms on here talk to there daughter I’ve spoken with her long before on what to expect but now it’s actually happening? She’s been having stomach pains and I’m pretty sure this is day two for her being on her period. All my other children are boys she’s my only girl

9 Likes

I have a 9 and 10 year old and I can tell they are close too. My mom was around when I was a kid but things like period talk were “taboo” things I wish I had known about that I’ve made sure to clue my ladies in on…proper pad disposal, discretion but not shame, having dark colored comfy clothes to hide any leaks. :heart:

My 8 year old knows all about periods because I didn’t hide my periods from her . She asked questions I answered. Just explain everything the cramps the cure for said cramps and understanding . Your doing great!

I would ring into work if it was my daughters first time that way we can try everything to help her be comfortable and we can also have a girls week.

Make it fun, have a conversation about it and let her know it’s nothing to be ashamed off (it’s natural).

I don’t have a girl, but things I wish were done for me when I started mine.
1.) give a calendar book or maybe she has a phone. Download an app or utilize a calendar to help track when to expect it each month.
2.) keep a change of pants/underwear/ baby wipes/and pads at school. Either in a locker or maybe in the nurses office.
3.) give something for cramps.
4.) chocolate and salty snacks
5.) my mom gave me a picture book that talked about what was happening to my body.
:two_hearts:

2 Likes

Make sure she is clean about it hygiene wise well as cleaning up and throwing it away ask her if she has any question or how she is feeling give her some advil or tyonal make it comfortable for her

My daughter was that age almost 11… I just explained it, and about hygiene. She adjusted just fine she’s now 14…

1 Like

i made her a kit to take to school buy her some new underwear make her feel like she is growing up

Just be honest and factual, answer any questions she may have, dont make it a big deal or shameful.

2 Likes

I spoke with my daughter about our menstrual cycle since she was about 5/6 yrs old. When she first got it, she was at school. Teachers were freaking out and all she said was “my mom spoke to me about this, can I get a pad?” lol

Be honest with her and let her know it’s a normal monthly occurrence most females go through. Explain to her about hygiene, changing her pad often, how to put it on and take it off, and not to flush it. Make her a “Ladies Bag” to take to school with extra undies and pads (emergencies happen).

2 Likes

Teach her to legitimate names for her body parts. No “cookie” or “tutu”. And then be honest with her about it. This isn’t the time to be shy about it. If you don’t feel up to it maybe a YouTube video would be helpful and answer any questions she may have afterwards.

Talk to her truthfully about it but make it where she understands exactly whats going on without making her uncomfortable. Make sure to show her how to use pads, how to properly dispose of them, make sure she knows that she can take tylenol/ ibuprofen for the pain, heating pads help too. Actively listen to what her concerns or questions are as well and address them accordingly.

4 Likes

I tell my 5 year old already . She knows I bleed ,terms and what to ask for… my bfs daughter was taught from her mom too

This is what I got my daughter. She hasn’t started yet but I wanted her to be prepared. https://tryreddrop.com/

Be honest. There’s video’s you 2 can watch that go into detail. Encourage her to ask questions. She needs you to be truthful and use correct terms. Explain how important hygiene is for her overall health. I also encourage keeping baby wipes or “flushable” wipes stocked. Show her how to use them. Get her a calendar or the app so she can keep up with her cycle. Help her set up a carry bag for accidents.
You can also Google My First Period and find gift boxes with samples for her to try. They have all kinds of options.
We spent an hour on the female aisle at Wal-mart and I explained every item. She decided to try tampons and the underwear at night. She did try pads and hated them. It’s been 2yrs, she still hates them. Lol.
You got this momma. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: One step at a time.

I started mentioning it to my daughter when she was like 7? I explained how it all worked, what to expect, told her who she could go to if she had questions or needed pads. I never hid when I was on mine so she was very comfortable about it. She just started hers last month at 12. She k ew exactly what was going on, and had to ask her step Das (my husband) if he could go get her some pads. He gladly did, and even brought back midol for preteens. Just be open and honest with her. She will deal with this for the next 20+ years.

Simply
Explain to her this happens to all women and young women
Explain what a tampon or a pad is and how to use them
Then hand her a lot of chocolate and tell her its OK to be moody

My grand daughter started when she was 11 (now 13)
Her first few cycles wern’t regular for about 6 months
My now 10 yr old is showing signs of hers starting soon
We prepared for it
There are some great books
That you can buy online
Called “where did I come from”
And “what’s happening to me”
I found these ones on line
Also explain to her the importance of upping her
Personal hygiene

It’s super important to always talk to your kids (both boys and girls) about periods. My girls got theirs at 10, I highly suggest period underwear for little ones. Knix also has period bathing suits!

I’ve been open and honest with my girls since they were toddlers. I never wanted then to be scared and ashamed like I was. They have known about periods for years now and they are only 8 and 10

Yeah i spoke to my daughter quite young about it. Been honwst and open about all their qustions my 9 yesr old is currently reading this book at the moment