My 11-month-old still doesn't sleep through the night: Advice?

I have two daughters, my one is going to be 11 months old and is still not sleeping through the night. I have asked her pediatrician, and he said it is normal but to not feed her through the night; however, she wakes up and is hungry, there is no just letting her cry it out. Also, it’s hard to let her cry it out when I have her sister sleeping in the other room, who I don’t want her waking up. I’m a single mom, so it’s tough as is. I have tried everything to get her to sleep through the night, I have done the cereal in the bottle, Tylenol or Motrin if it’s a tooth, gas drops, nothing seems to work. She also wakes up and doesn’t just cry but will scream. Again when bringing all this up to the pediatrician, his response was just to let her cry it out, but it just doesn’t seem normal to me. Any advice?

14 Likes

My son is 4 going on 5 and doesnt always sleep through the night. He didnt sleep through the night until he was 3. So I feel ya.

My son didn’t sleep through the night until he was 4.5.

I don’t have much to offer you but I gave my son water 3 nights in s row, no formula. He got pissed and would go back to sleep. Night 4 I didn’t go in and turned down the monitor. Maybe explain to your older daughter what she may hear so she doesn’t get scared?

2 Likes

Am in the same boat My daughter is 11 Months She doesn’t sleep through the night even during the day she takes short naps😪 I’ve tried everything

I fed my son until he warned himself around 16/17 months.
He started sleeping through the night around 18.
I’d say it’s normal, everyone is different

4 Likes

I fed my son through the night when he woke up. He stopped doing it at about 2 years old, and i stopped nursing him at 16 months. When he woke up in the middle.of the night i would give water

My sons pedatrician told me, try giving a bottle with a little water, instead of milk, normally they wake up out of habit rather then hunger, the water will start to deter them from the night waking

3 Likes

My 5 year still doesn’t sleep through the night

2 Likes

I applied melatonin oil around my granddaughters neck after dinner and she was sleepy within 2 hours. They sell it at Walmart in the baby secton and I used it for about 2 weeks to train her to go to sleep. She is now 18 months old and is sleepy by 830 every night.

1 Like

My 1st didn’t sleep through until over 2, & up until 18mnths had milk in the night. Don’t let her cry it out unless you’re ok with it, you’re her parent, do what you think will work :+1:

Make her bottle thicker by adding lil extra formula
Works

Also sleeping 5 hrs straight is sleeping through the night

Although I put my baby down at 9pm and he doesn’t get up until 8am or 9am so 9-10 hrs
I dont make his milk thicker
Hes 6 months

When he was younger he would fall asleep at 7pm and wake up at 3am which is 8 hrs
Just make a bottle diaper change and put her back to bed

Dont nurse at night
U will get more rest

Oh and I wake up at 6am
And go to bed at 11pm
I’m not single mother but I usually am the one to do the last feeding shift and early morning shift
So it can be done

Sometimes it’s normal for kids not to sleep through the night at that age. Personally, I’d be seeking a second opinion or changing pediatricians

1 Like

Babies & toddlers get hungry through the night or thirsty, Or even just need comfort or changed…As an adult I wake up in the night at least once if not more every night to pee & get water…I don’t see it as a bad thing at all, it’s normal.
Sleeping all the way thru the night without having to pee or get a drink isn’t normal for me or my daughter. Everyone is different, so just because your child doesn’t sleep a whole 8hrs without a fuss doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing or needs to be fixed.

1 Like

Feed her some babies will do that one of my three did

My son is the same age he will be 1 next Friday and still doesn’t my oldest 3 were by 6 months but daughter and my youngest nope my daughter was 2 1/2 before she did

Check out night weaning. Www.babysleepsite.com was very helpful tool for me!

Sometimes when you have done all you can it’s best to let them self sooth!!! She may be colicky. My oldest son was like that an he would wake up screaming… But he also had an amazing doctor as well so that helped…

My two year old still doesn’t sleep through the night. I know people are gonna hate but ever since she has started co sleeping with me she only wakes up one or two times in the night for milk. I have thought about giving her whole milk or pedisure to keep her fuller longer. I keep a bottle next to my night stand and give it to her and I go back asleep

2 Likes

I would always do the two!! Diaper change,give bottle only 2-4ounces that way you are not wasting a whole lot bc nine time out of ten they just want enough to fall asleep with…

One of mine was 1 year 7 months brfore she slept thru most nights

1 Like

My 10 month old still wants bottle at night too and is the same way!! The doctor is thinking of melatonin but not yet. I mean if she’s hungry how can I not feed her!? I tried putting water in bottle she screams bloody murder. I feel your pain girl. I’m going to try some of these ideas

My daughter same way. 11 months cries out of no where in the middle of night

Seek other pediatrician for opinion dear or perhaps your baby has some issues. Meanwhile do things what you think is best for your kids. All the best mommy

I didn’t realize that an 11month or any toddler slept through the night.

5 Likes

My almost 4 year old was waking for a bottle every 3-4 hours until literally 3 years old. I have just in the last year gotten him to sleep through the night with just milk to go to sleep with. My 2 year old goes to bed with milk and mostly sleeps through the night. Occasionally waking up and crying for a minute or 2 and then goes back to sleep. If I go in his room it lasts longer than if I just leave him be. If the crying lasts more than 3-4 minutes I know it’s not his norm so I go see what’s wrong.

I suggest actually feeding food before bed and milk cereal to sleep cause I did that but my child slept most nights less he was teething or sick from six weeks first time I flipped out and he was still sleeping after my freak out and no I don’t use melatonin I just had really great help

My daughter is 16 months and has never slept through the night. Normal unfortunately

2 Likes

You gave your baby tylenol and motrin to make them sleep?!

She is waking up because that is her normal routine… she wakes up and you feed her .you probably have been doing it from the beginning …stop with the cereal in the bottle spoon feed her about half hour before bed time and see if that helps

1 Like

I started giving bottles of water through out the night instead of milk and it helped for a few months but now my daughter is 2 and wakes up through the night again

my two year old doesn’t sleep through the night lol good luck mama

I am not a parent (not through choice but a devoted auntie) but I think there is too much pressure out on babies and children (and parents) to ‘conform’. As the saying goes, nobody’s perfect but who wants to be a nobody.

1- adults rarely sleep right through the night but we have learnt that the dark isn’t a terrible thing and so we can happily settle back to sleep. Babies/kids need to know that the world hasn’t ended when they wake up alone in the dark - so a bit of physical reassurance is ok, it doesn’t mean you’re training them that they get comfort if they cry, you’re reassuring them that they are loved

2-have you tried to go to sleep hungry? It’s not fun

3-babies & children are growing at a scary rate and processing so much new information - it’s like having crazy brain & twitchy legs every night I imagine. I was the youngest of 4, I used to wake up screaming to the point that I was the reason my parents bought a king size bed. When I started talking my mum realised I had nightmares (I still have incredibly vivid dreams - last night I woke up, heart racing and terrified because ‘someone had been outside my upstairs window’. I could have used a hug). Imagine how terrified I’d have been if my parents left me to cry it out?

What I’m basically saying is that worrying about whether your baby is sleeping through the night will only make you more tired. As long as they are growing and developing well and you aren’t loosing your mind, the exact pattern of how they sleep is not important.

Good luck out there parents…you’re doing the most important job in the world.