My 11-month-old still wakes up 3-4 times a night to feed; Advice?

HELP!! My daughter is 11 months old, and I’m so drained from breastfeeding. We still wake up 3-4 times a night, and she won’t go to sleep without a boob in her mouth… She won’t let me move her into her crib either, and I’m just drained I help advice, I’m an FTM, and It’s just her and me as I’m a single mom also

41 Likes

Shes most likely doing it for comfort… theres no reason she should be esting that many times at night… if she really is id suggest talking to her doctor

1 Like

They do that. Both my kids dream fed and was on me during sleep regressions.

Try to just peel yourself away and sleep with feet touching. So your still there but not so close to latch on.

1 Like

Start her on formula and ceral mixture…it will stay with her longer. You need to start the long hard process of putting her in the crib. It will be painful for you as a mom but it is whats best. Make sure when you switch her to ceral that she eats till she is full. It will help the process.

9 Likes

My daughter is 18 months and still wake up… I usually pull her in bed with me to get some sleep… all I can advise is to feed baby before bed, actual food not milk and hope it sticks longer… eventuality this too will slow down. It’s probably habit now. Internal clock…

1 Like

At that age my daughter was on bottles so I would send her to bed with a bottle

My son is 7 1/2 months and hasn’t woke to eat in the middle of the night since he was about 6 weeks old. He drinks formula. Maybe try formula, your breast milk may not be filling her up. You may be lacking something she needs. Best advice is speak to the pediatrician instead of asking on the internet

1 Like

Try a bottle or a binkie. You can Try formula or feed her later.

www.babysleepsite.com will have some good advice for you as a breastfeeding mother. Like how to night wean, when to talk to the dr, etc.

Give her more solid foods to help keep her full at night so that she doesn’t walk up

3 Likes

She’s comfort nursing. My daughter wakes up that many times to nurse during the night, but it’s only for comfort. It’s perfectly normal. Don’t feed her formula!! Try a binky? I know it’s annoying, but she won’t be this little forever. Enjoy those night time bonding cuddles while you can.

5 Likes

Give her the binkie instead.

1 Like

Give her oatmeal before bed

1 Like

My son was like this still is some nights and he’s 21months what I’ve found out is that if he has a really good meal before bed thn he’ll only have comfort feed once before falling asleep and he stays asleep until sun comes up lol hope you and your baby work it out :heart:

2 Likes

My daughter did this at that age. I wasnt breastfeeding so I cant comment on that but our dr. told us to give her a little bit of water in a bottle instead of formula like she was wanting and to not go in the room when they cry just acknowledge them from the doorway. She was in her own room at the time.

My 2 year still gets up 2-3 times a night sometime more

3 Likes

My toddler just turned 2 and didn’t sleep thru the night until the last couple of weeks…as long as she was nursing she woke up several times a night

Just got through with my son being like this.
I had to start sleep training him and stop feeding him through the night for my own sanity.
I’m also solo parenting right now and he would wake up every 1-2hrs and would cry until he got the tit.

I stopped day feeding, only fed him once at night 20 mins before his bed time which is 7 now.
I did a more gentle approach to crying it out.

It was so hard for me not to give in and feed him, but after many many breakdowns and being so sleep deprived it was affecting me physically I had to do it for us.

After 2 days it’s been amazing. He only wakes up once at night because of a diaper and goes right back to sleep. He even puts himself to sleep now rather than crying non stop for me to hold him.
Thats just what worked for me, I wish I would’ve sleep trained sooner :sleeping:

1 Like

With mine I did the more they eat in the day the longer they sleep at night. By 4 months they were sleeping through the night. S good dinner should help.

Honey when it gets to that point, for your own sanity you just need to let her scream herself out, it may be extremely hard for you but mama u need to sleep or it’s going to effect you mentally

7 Likes

Get used to it… Its always something when you have kids.

9 Likes

My son was like this and eventually I gave up on the crib. He just slept with me and nursed all night lol

2 Likes

My son is 2 and he still wakes at 3am almost every night :sweat_smile: (not to nurse, but for snuggles) it will pass eventually. At least that’s what I keep telling myself.

Hang in there mama :purple_heart:

3 Likes

If your drained from breastfeeding then stop breastfeeding. If either member of the team is over it both need to stop. Might help her sleep or might not but breastfeeding isnt something you do just bc you feel you have to

3 Likes

I would try a form of sleep training whatever method you are comfortable with. It sounds like you are a sleep prop to her and she is waking up to comfort nurse back to sleep instead of soothing herself. It doesn’t have to be the CIO method there are several, but I would try one. It will be tough for the first few days, but she should adjust quickly. Also, maybe try a dream feed before you are ready for bed. That worked well with my son. Best of wishes :heart: Side tip: maybe let her fuss for a few minutes instead of rushing right in to see if she will settle. My son fussed and goes back to sleep on and off some nights.

3 Likes

It is normal for babies for still wake up. Just because one slept all night doesn’t mean the other will… And no your breast milk isnt missing anything like someone said, its tailored to babes needs. Inhave 4 kids and they were ALL drastically different from echother with sleeping.

I used to give my little boy cow and gate creamy porridge with whatever milk you are using. Just helped to satisfy him for longer and he started sleeping through the night the more food he was having in the day xx

2 Likes

So I found, if I wasn’t home or in the room with him, he could fall asleep just fine! So I ended up leaving around bedtime for a few days, and that’s how it worked for us… I still breastfed but I needed sleep! And mine was the same way, would wake up at least 4 times thru the night wanting to nurse

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thebump.com/news/pacifier-sleep-hack/amp

As that baby who woke mom up until I was 3 for the “ninny”, let her cry it out. I didn’t sleep through the night at 3, I just stopped waking her up. I woke up and played in my room. I am now 43 and still do not know what it is like to sleep through the night.

1 Like

There’s literally no reason she should be waking up that many times at her age. she might need to soothe herself with a pacifier and a good old fashion cry it out especially if it is just you at home. It makes for a long day for both of you if she’s not sleeping good through the night!

My daughter is 16 months old and still waking up 5-10 times a night :joy: we just got used to never sleeping again.

3 Likes

A couple of nights of letting her cry it out and she will sleep better.

6 Likes

She is using for a pacifier.

Its normal for babies to wake that often. My 5 year old still gets up atleast twice. They will eventually grow out of it.

She doesn’t need anything. We did the Ferber Method and it took only 1 night, no lie.

Put her on a schedule and stick to it if she decides not to eat at that time then she don’t eat until it’s time to eat again she’s old enough to have a schedule if she crys and its bed time let her cry she will eventually fall asleep it may be hard but she will learn you need to show her who the boss is and not give in to every cry

At 1 we started to send our boy to bed with sippy cup of water. Trial and error of course but at 2 he still goes to bed with sippy of water. With potty training it’ll be phased out. I personally believe not every cry has to be addressed right away bc some babies tend to make a lot of noise at night even cries. Plus it gives them an opportunity to self soothe. My son is 2 now as stated before and sometimes he wakes in the night. Sometimes he needs some help and other times he can settle himself back to sleep. Once it was cause his sippy wasn’t where it normally was lol. As a mommy I trust you’ll figure out what’s best for your baby and I hope one of us here is able to give you advice that works for y’all :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

My dr recommended at 7 months to make my lo cry it out and minus a feeding every two nights we went from 6 to 1 feeding in 2 weeks and at 11 and a half months I made him cry until he slept through the night. So maybe take away a feeding every couple nights but make it around the same time every night so it will become a routine

Sleep train her. You’ve created a sleep eat association which is the problem. Feeding them baby food before bed isn’t going to help…she’s not waking bc she’s hungry, she waking bc it’s habit and when her sleep cycle is broken she wants to nurse to go back to sleep.

28 Likes

Feed a small snack right before bed.
If you are certain your child is not starving, hurt, or some other situation that actually warrant you in there, consider letting child cry it out. It was the only way for both mine.

16 Likes

Pur daughter was a preemie, and when we left the hospital they told us the magic # is 3. They told us it take 3 days to have your baby adjust to anything. Sleeping was the hardest, but 3 nights and she slept through the night. It was the.hardest thing to do, but it worked. Now, if after 3 nights didn’t work would have switched her to whole molk just before bed…but this was 11 years ago. Do what works for you, if you can. Stay strong mama

2 Likes

You might want to give her some baby food. She probably not getting full with breastmilk itself. I started giving my baby baby food at 4months per her doctor she she not getting full and keep waking up so much at night. After I started giving her baby food, I’ll put her to sleep at 7 or 8 o’clock and she’ll never wake up till morning

18 Likes

I have the same issue with my 10 old month baby boy. I do believe he will be ready on his own. Hold on girl your doing a great job !!:grin: Your a great mom dont give up …try to give half your milk and half regular milk in a bottle.

3 Likes

I totally understand being a single mom as well it is ruff… I always make sure my daughter has a snack before bed, just a little bit of oatmeal. Doctors do not recommend putting it in the bottles, choking hazard. After her oatmeal I give her some milk and she’s out like a light, she’s 6 months old and was breastfed (she weaned herself off at 3 months)
Once she weaned herself I moved her to her own room, the first week was hard but after that it was awesome! The earlier your transition them to their own room the easier it’ll be.

1 Like

Read Dr. Ferber Sleep Solutions. Start it on a Thursday or Friday night when you have the weekend off. The first night is shitty but it’s gets easier and by night 3-4, she will soothe herself to sleep every time. It worked great for me and my entire family. The book explains it all. You might be able to find the chart (bc that’s all you really need) online.

2 Likes

I went through this with my son until he was over a year old. CO sleeping in the same bed is dangerous, but I took my risks because who can avoid sleeping for a year syraight? Right after a year he decided to start eating more food and weaning himself. Breastfeeding is hard, but it is best. And honestly I cannot give you any hope in that he will ever sleep alone until he has a full belly for the full night. And that’s only coming from actual food. Just my opinion…

1 Like

It’s biologically normal for babe to wake up. My favorite solution is breast sleeping. Aka, pop a boob in her mouth and doze right back off. Also, go to bed when she does, or as early as possible.

14 Likes

This was me and my daughter until 13 months when I said no more. I did some tough love and I let her cry it out in her crib. By night three she was sleeping 12 hours straight. Saved my sanity because she would stay awake for hours and nurse nonstop at night! I couldn’t do it anymore. And she’s almost two now and still sleeping 12 hours straight. She is using you as a crutch to fall asleep. My daughter did the same. And I know I’m the one to blame for allowing these bad sleep habits to form! I night weaned her but continued nursing throughout the day. My supply adjusted after a week or two of no night nursing and no pumping at night either. After that she became a better food eater as well

14 Likes

She may have acid reflux, I agree with talking to her dr but honestly its pretty common for babies to wake often at night well past a year old

2 Likes

Be tough, put up with some fussing, get her broke from the boob if you have had enough. Let her know she’s a big girl, give her a little cereal before bed, probably needs something in that belly to hold her over. I took the bottle & pacifier away one weekend, wasn’t fun but it worked. Worth trying. Good luck.

2 Likes

So I lowered the amount I was feeding mine it was recommended by her doctor she’s only 1 1/2 months and wants to sleep through the night! She sleeps a solid 5-6hours before she’s hungry which is fine at this point with her weight and age meaning I don’t have to wake her up to feed!! Also make sure you burp after ever feed if it’s 6 oz stop at 3oz burp then feed the other 3

Sounds like she is soothing so she needs to learn to self sooth. Make sure she is full at bedtime and let her fall to sleep on her own. The first few nights are the worst then she will learn just stay consistent. It doesn’t hurt babes to cry some as long as all her needs have been met.

12 Likes

Ask your Pediatrician they will be able to help better. However, when my son was doing this his doctor suggested giving him a bottle with just a little bit a baby cereal mixed in. That way he has something a little heavy on his tummy at bed time

4 Likes

Are you pumping? If not, you should. It would be easier on you than constantly pulling a boob out. Also put baby cereal in her milk. Gives her a fuller feeling. May help her fall/stay asleep. If you don’t want to pump, then May need to giver formula with the cereal. You can also give her soft foods. You just have to try things and see if they work.

2 Likes

Hi! My son is 19 months. He wants the boob all the time. Hardly eats “real food.” He sleeps through the night but needs the goods to go to bed. It’s hard and it drives me crazy. Best wishes, mama. XO

1 Like

Try to feed baby at least 45mins before bed, so she won’t associate boob with bedtime. Works great with my 7months old daughter. She is sleeping longer, and I’m getting up once or twice per night, which is big difference compared what it use to be.
Sleep when she sleeps if you can!! Take care. :slightly_smiling_face:

This is noraml for a baby her age! CIO can be ridiculously harmful in the long run. There is a reason it is hard and doesn’t seem right. There are many methods of night weaning, though typically suggested for slightly older babies it would be a better place to start than CIO. I cant imagine being a single mom. Check out ‘the beyond sleep training project’ the parents on there have lots of helpful advise and many have gone through the night weaning process.

Personally I am nursing a 2year old and 3month old. They both nurse through the night. I have them both in my bed, with a side car crib, so I don’t have to get up. It works for us :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

Im in the same boat girl, iv gotten to the point where I wear a t-shirt so she doesn’t pull my shirt down and help her self to a boob lol and let her toss and turn and cry and hit me and climb me until she falls back asleep. It’s been exhausting but it’s working. Day 3 and she’s sleeping threw the night.

1 Like

Just a difference in child. My son slept through the night starting at 3 months. My 1st daughter didn’t sleep through the night till she was 18 months. My 11 month old daughter still wakes up 2-3 time. It may be a girl thing, but each kid is different.

Make sure she has her own room and it’s completely dark with a white noise machine. Time to let her cry it out when she wakes up. Start by letting her cry out for 10 minutes and then extend it every time

Give her a stuffed animal to cuddle while you nurse. Eventually she will understand that the animal is comfort too and you can sneak with giving her that instead of a boob.

2 Likes

I am not sure what part of the world you live in, but here in SE Asia, co-sleeping is the norm. As soon as I stopped worrying about trying to get my kids in the crib, my life was instantly better!
I appreciate it is different in other places of the world, but just sharing it as an possible option for you…

9 Likes

I exclusively breastfed my baby til she was about 8 months, It felt like I was nursing her all night long until I started to give her a bottle right before bed. I pumped and saved as much as I could just to give her a full bottle. A nice warm bottle and a snuggle knocks her right out.

2 Likes

Hi dear, i may be a bit old school but i have been there in your shoes. Its very normal for bfing children to wake up multiple times…
I know its draining and we feel like zombies but please do continue feeding until the kid is an year old… they say, the more kids take bm the stronger their immunity is.
Sleeping through the night will only start after you completely wean off your kid…
All the best momma! Stay strong! And remember, at this age, they need us more than we do! So be generous😘

4 Likes

Hopefully u r already feeding her solid food.??? She needs a nice full tummy at nite. If u r that exhausted and run down it’s time to wean her and yourself. That is how nature tells u it is time. Foals are weaned as soon as the mare cannot support them anymore and maintain good health. Usually at 6 plus months. Humans need to smarten up and become good MomS

1 Like

You need to stand your ground momma. It is tough as hell, but if you are to exhausted to carry out your day you are not helping her.

3 Likes

sounds like she is using it for soothing. my daughter wakes up when her paci falls out of her mouth. try one and see what happens

1 Like

Do what you have to do for you, every single on of us did something we wish we could change, are proud of handling and run ourselves to the ground daily. If you decide to switch to bottlebrst milk or formula, pureed foods… you know your child better than any of us and you know what you need to be the best you can for them. Taking care of ourselves is as important as taking care of them.

I had to unexpectedly, stop breast feeding my almost 2 year old about a week and a half ago because of a medical issue I am having. She was definitely just comfort nursing at this point so I’m actually kinda glad we had to stop cause I was ready to be done awhile ago lol… Anyway, we sent her with my husband’s parents for 2 nights. They kept her super busy during the day so at night time she was very tired and went right to sleep. She did fine as long as she was distracted. I had to redirect her a few times and constantly have her cup to offer her in place of the boob after she came home but for the most part it wasn’t bad! Good luck mama!

More real food shortly before bed. They process breastmilk soooooo fast that they’re hungry again in no time.

3 Likes

She needs to learn to self soothe. The only way she’s gonna learn that is to just cry it out.

2 Likes

She won’t let you? No. You’re allowing her to run the show. She’s old enough to sleep through the night without being fed. She is using you for comfort. It’ll take a few nights and some tears to break the habit but she’s likely not even really eating when she wakes up. Start by just holding her to sleep without nursing. Then transition to going into her crib awake but drowsy so she can go to sleep on her own. Needing sleep isn’t negotiable. You both need a good nights sleep to function. It’s miserable to be up and down all night.

10 Likes

Try taking off your shirt that you are wearing and put near baby the shirt smells like you and will help the baby rest easily.This use to help me when mine was tiny. So many years ago.

Not gonna lie. I spent money for the app Huckleberry and my baby went from that kind of issue to a totally different baby within 2 weeks.

Are u giving her soilds? (Like baby food)
My son is 8 months old and since he was 4 months ive been giving him baby food and as long as he has that for dinner he sleeps all night

My twins are 2.5 years old and still don’t sleep through. They eat and have lots of milk and it still does nothing. Good luck

When she wakes up give her water in her bottle. I tried this with my son… the first night he cried but never wakes up for a bottle again…

Feed her right before she goes to bed and then slowly trying to wean her off of it if she wakes up feed her for half the time you would and then put her down even if she cries and then keep doing that until you drop it down to only two times a night and then drop it down to only one time a night and then stop feeding her at night sleep training is hard for any Mom single or with a partner I’ve been a single mom I understand your struggle it’s not easy to sleep train either so there’s gonna be some crying But it’s OK it just takes some time

Mine is 22 months and wakes 6 times a night. :disappointed:

2 Likes

Go to the milk meg facebook page she is fab x! Its normal for breastfeed babys to wake that much at night!

1 Like

Water… as long as she eats properly before bed… give her water each nd every time she wakes up…

My doctor told me to stop feeding my son at night around 10 months. He was still getting up repeatedly and I realized he was doing it for comfort not because he needed to eat. It was really hard but I’m glad I did it when I did because he’s been putting himself to sleep every night since around 13 months and sleeps through then night no problem. He’s now 2.5 and even tucks himself in because that’s what he prefers :woman_shrugging:t2::joy:

I was also a single mom at the time and moving him into the crib was hard as hell… I started with teaching him to self soothe and once he wasn’t attached to feedings anymore I moved him into the crib. The crib was really hard and I had to let him cry it out because nothing else worked… it broke my heart some nights but the doctor kept on me about it and I’m so thankful I stuck with it because he’s truly the best sleeper now.

I nursed all my 4 kids, she’ll be fine. Feed her give her bath and put her to bed. They need a schedule and I had all 4 in one bedroom

My son’s been EBF since day one, and hes 22months and has always woken up multiple times in the night, I’m also a FTM and a single parent I discovered he was waking because he wanted to make sure I was close I think it was more of a separate anxiety he developed it’s gotten better over time!!
You could try expressing just once a day if you can find time and just use your express milk as a top up at night time if you dont think shes had enough milk.
I’ve just recently transferred him into his own cot and have used the crying out method which is hard for the first few nights but by night 4 he sleep 10hours which is the first time ever! But whatever you feel most comfortable is totally upto you :slightly_smiling_face::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Dont forget you are doing a great job!!

I get you girl! My son is thirteen months and still wakes up a couple times a night to eat

I remember one time when me son was 10 months crying because he had fed 7 times that night and I just didnt see an end. By 13 months he self weaned off the boob. He just loved food, maybe try introducing more foods but it does sound like its a comfort thing qt this point. Its up to you how you want to go about that, i was happy to comfort feed so we coslept. But if you want to get her out of it maybe look at self soothing methods during the day when you have more energy to deal with it then slowly introduce them during the night as well

I fretted about my sons sleeping for quite awhile before I discovered what worked for us! I read lots of different suggestions and tried many ways but what worked for us was I stopped him napping after 2:30 if he hadn’t had a sleep after lunchtime he stayed awake (thankfully he seemed to view sleeping in the day was for wimps) I bought his dinnertime (had to wean him early due to reflux & lactose intolerance ) forward to around 4:30/5 pm then around 6pm I’d start his bedtime routine final milk with medication, (milk stopped, when medication stopped) bath/shower pjs & bed (always upstairs away from TV) he was would fall asleep whilst I read to him! Biggest change was noticed when I moved him into a toddler bed, I don’t know why it was like he felt a bit independent to be able to get in and out of bed I his own! I’ve had most evening to myself from around 7:30 for the past 3 years xx

No where in this post says she’s not already giving food to her baby. Someone should maybe ask what else she is feeding the baby

You’re baby is either hitting new milestones, hitting a growth spurt, or teething. Hang in there. Its tiring but it’s just a phase.

Baby is using you as a paci… you will have to break the habit the same way you would if they used a paci to fall asleep :sleepy:

Feed some baby food breastfeed and food started at 3 months sleeper all night

Have you thought about using a breast pump and having a few bottles for night time feeding. I know you will still be getting up at night. But that might make it a little easier, maybe.My daughter slept in a playpen right beside my bed. Easy to get to her. Until it was not. Then she was was in the bed with me. And yes I knew the danger of that. But the bed was huge. We could get four adults in that bed easy. So there was plenty of space. And yes she was up every 3 hours like clockwork. And you just count in between the times and know how much time you have to sleep before needing to be back up again. And it still does not seem like enough sleep. In the beginning it is rough. Fight through it. Sleep when the baby sleeps. Eventually you will get into the swing of things. It is exhausting and overwhelming at times. I dont think you should let her cry it out. Shes crying for something, right. Its she’s hungry or wet. And its normal for babys to wake and eat every 3/4 hours.

We had to do the modified cry out method.

1 Like

Perhaps you should try giving her some solids before her night feed perhaps she is hungry

Bottle feed!!! Or else youre gonna have a crying 3 year old one day fighting you like a grown man for a cuddle

Hmmm, I had a couple of my kids like that…is she still in the same room as you, perhaps time to put her in her own room if so…also feed food/ pablum before bed?

Normal to wale up once or twice during the night mama- try some baby food or baby cereal before bed to see if itll help!!

Make her some cream of wheat, rice or oatmeal and make it soupy so she is almost drinking it, feed her until she is full. She should soon be sleeping all night. Gerber Baby cereal. She should be eating solid baby foods at 11 months she should have been eating months ago. Good luck.

I did gentle sleep training around 8 months with my daughter and she sleeps like a champ now, previously she was up and down all night. The first night I laid her down full and awake but drowsy, let her cry for 5 minutes and then went in a patted and said it’s night night time, slipped back out and waited 10, then 15 minutes. I did that if she woke up overnight also and by around a week she was sleeping through the night. It’s hard and it broke my heart to hear her cry, and I could not do traditional cry it out at all, but once it kind of clicked for her that she needed to sleep she started sleeping 7-7 every night and has since unless she’s sick.
Is your little eating solids? We found that BLW worked well for us, and if about 30 minutes before bed she had a bowl of oatmeal or rice with apple or banana and then her bottle, she slept soundly. Hugs! It’s hard and there isn’t any one right answer (lol I have a 4 year old who still sleeps in my bed because we never broke the habit) but getting her on a sleep schedule and routine that doesn’t involve overnight feeds will help both of you :heart:

This baby is 11 months old ! She should be having 3 solid meals a day by now . Give her the food and only milk either breast or formula 3 to 4 times a day . She should be also having water or juice as well . Do the control crying she will learn that mummy isn’t going too give in . Don’t feel guilty or that you are failing I am a grandparent now and my own children had this routine . They were good babies .

7 Likes