My 11 year old still sucks their thumb: Advice?

I done this right up til I was 18 I had to train my self to stop, which was hard, have stopped for years now

Iā€™m 23 still suck mine and my 14 year old nice still sucks hers itā€™s a safe thing and my aunt in her 50 still dose

If you bug him about it heā€™ll probably want to do it more. Id let him just stop on his own

My husband is 46 and still sucks his thumb when he sleeps. It is what it is

My 18yr old sucks his still.

My daughter is 21 and still sucks her thumb.

My sister is 45 and sucks her thumb when stressed

My daughter is 15 she still does and I did till I was 15

Covid regression. Anxiety

4 Likes

As a thumb sucker, I can tell you, itā€™s done for comfort.

3 Likes

My cousin was 15, she only stopped once she got her bracesā€¦hope you find something that helps

1 Like

Iā€™m 49 and still suck mines :eyes:

1 Like

I stucked my thumb until one day I smelled :nauseated_face::nauseated_face: that was the last day I had it in my mouth :woozy_face::woozy_face:

Sadlyā€¦ 29 and still suck my thumb. Itā€™s a comforter honestly. I mostly do it at home in my own spaceā€¦

4 Likes

Life is like a camera. Just focus on whatā€™s important, Am coming from a christian background, i never believed in the #Spiritualists or ever imagined that i would get the help of a #traditional healer/sangoma. Having been employed for 6 years in the same position, training new comers that join the company, get promoted and am still stuck in the same position no matter how hard i worked or applications i place in every time there was an opportunity, this got me so stressed.At home it was not any different, my relationship was sour, we had tried for 3 years to conceive but in vain. I visited so many hospitals, used various herbs but still never conceived and husband was seeking a separation because of the family pressure,one day on social media my long time friend living in #DURBAN got in touch with me,a few days later i opened up to her about what was happening in my life,she advised me to try this powerful traditional healer that had helped sometime back,i hesitated at first because i did not like the idea of going to a traditional healer,i thought for a while about contacting this person, then decided to give it a try, so i called Her, the #traditional healer on +27782391426, lucky for me she was available to see me and she was in the same country.Long story short,she helped me a lot,i got a much better job in the company i had long wanted to work in,with a very good pay, my husband paid lobola at home, our wedding is this year and i am soon setting up my first side big business(Beauty Shop) anywhere i want. I must say my perception was totally wrong, if you need help too donā€™t wait till its too late contact Mama Anna on +27782391426 WhatApp

It is so awesome to see all of you stepping up and saying that you still suck your thumbs. I just think it is awesome that this child and mom will now know they arenā€™t alone and this isnā€™t some horrible abnormal thing. Just makes me all tingly inside to see so much support. Iā€™m kinda sniffling. Lol.:sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

My parents tried everything on my sister but nothing worked until she was ready

Mine is 6 and still sicks his thumb but only when tired.

My son sucked his thumb up until he got braces at 12. That is the reason he needed them.

Do you wash your hands before

My son is 11 and still sucks his thumb, doesnā€™t do it in public and still has his teddy heā€™s had from birth which he canā€™t sleep without. I used to stuck my fingers till I was about 13, heā€™ll grow out of it and to be honest has done it more since lockdown so could just be a subconscious worry thing. Xx

I sucked my thumb into my teens. It went from an all the time habit to when I needed comfort until I eventually just stopped. My mom tried all the crap you put on thumbs and all to try to make me and my brother stopā€¦it didnā€™t work on me and my brother switched to sucking his finger insteadā€¦so she just ended up letting it go. Neither of us have teeth issues from it and we both grew out of it.

Sounds like anxiety could be rearing up with the onset of hormones. Itā€™s a self soothing strategy, dont force her to stop without dealing with the underlying reason she needs to self soothe.

1 Like

I sucked my thumb till I was 15 and then it just stopped. Never needed braces didnā€™t affect my teeth. Its a comfort thing definitely and always made me feel calmed when I was worried. Do not make a big deal out of it though coz that will just upset your child. Let them chill with it.

1 Like

My son did it until he was 13, our dentist put a device on the roof of his mouth for a few months where he couldnā€™t suck his thumb and that helped him stop. It broke the habit.

I sucked my thumb till I was about 10 or 12. My mother tried everything under the sun. In the end I decided on my own that I wanted to stop so I could have pretty nails. I think when the child is ready they will stop.

Thereā€™s something called Mavala, you can order online! Double check my spelling but we suggest that in a pediatric dental office I work in

1 Like

My daughter is 23 and still has her blankie, she keeps it in her pillow case so no one knows

Thereā€™s a type of non toxic polish you can getā€¦ I know itā€™s a soothing thing but it messes with the growth of the mouth and teeth.

Does it matter its better than cigarettes and dummies .enjoy your thumb my girl

I sucked my thumb til I was 11 and the only reason I stopped was I got braces and they put this thing on that made it impossible to do so. I dont know what it was called but it helped cause I could no longer do it comfortably

Iā€™m 45 and still suck my thumb.

My 38 yr old son still does, even just sitting watching tv. There is a name for it. I thought he would quit while in the Navy, but didnt. Our family went through a lot of traumatic things when he was very young, i tried everything, thought he would outgrow, but he didnt.

I used to do that when I was in deep thought. It will fade

Although it my seem like itā€™s not a big deal hands carry the most germs and it could possibly have long term effects like an horrible over bite. Js I would be more concerned with why she started back doing it. Did something happen? This is a very stressful time even for children. Best of luck!

My brother sucked his in his sleep only until he was a teen. So its prob fine. Il sure they will stop when they are ready.

I sucked my thumb until I had my tongue pierced on my 16th birthday. And I didnā€™t give up my blanket until I was 30. Itā€™s a soothing/comfort thing and itā€™ll stop when sheā€™s ready

You need to take them to an Orthodontist. Get a tongue crib placed. It will stop almost immediately.

Itā€™s a comfort thing. I sucked mine until I was almost 13. I decided 2 months before my 13th birthday that I was going to stop and I did. I went to biting my nails. Im 28 now and just stopped biting them too.

Ask whatā€™s bothering them. Itā€™s an indicator, not a problem

I got a 33year old son who still does the same

I had a co worker whoā€™s daughter was in her 20s who still sucked her them. She did it all the time, out in public.

My niece is 16 and still does soā€¦