My 14-month-old has started smacking me: Advice?

Smack her back. Harder.
Easy peasy :roll_eyes::woman_facepalming:t4:

2 Likes

My son used to hit. Himself, too. What worked for us is saying more than no. Telling him “that’s not nice” “that is hurtful” and encourage with “let’s show love” “we love each other” etc. and give a big hug, rub their back/arm :relaxed: good luck!

When my daughter was that young I took her hand and put it on my cheek…telling her to be gentle. Always be gentle! It worked for me. I wish you the best.

1 Like

My now two year old will hit if you tell her no no when she does that I tap her hands she will constantly do it till shes had enough of her hand gettin tapped.

1 Like

My 14 mth old is doing this must be a girl thing only she bites too. I grab her hand and say no if she keeps going i say it more firmly and walk away from her.

My daughter who was 13mths I think took a bite out of my neck when we were in a pool at first I thought it was excitement and it was an accident but she did it again with vicious smirk on her face that I bit her hand , she screamed and I said sore isn’t it don’t bite mummy again or you get bit back .she didn’t, there were times she forgot herself and tried to bite when I showed her my teeth she backed off …sounds awful but it needs to stop …it’s difficult not smacking them but in my view discipline is hard and sometimes a smack is a wake up call.

9 Likes

smack her hands. teach her how to treat others the way she wants to be treated, i know she’s little but she will learn that it hurts and that it’s not nice! i hope all goes well!

6 Likes

Pop that ass back she will stop

That what that butt for. Paddle that butt.

1 Like

My 16 month old went through a phase like that a few months ago. I’d firmly grab her hands and say no every time she did it, after a while it worked. She stopped hitting. :blush:

I scream like super loud. Loud enough to her attention and then I fake cry lol

1 Like

Start fake crying and tell her “ouch, you hurt mommy. That wasn’t nice”

2 Likes

I would do it back to her obviously not as hard as she is doing it to you but enough for her to see it is unpleasant. If she hits you again right away then she is testing you to see if you mean business. You must win this little test or she will own you and continue to slap you and soon it will be biting as well.

2 Likes

what I do is Cry/sobb really loud, covering my face with my hands right after it happens until it upsets my little one to where he stops being mean to me. Sometimes it works. To where he even gives me a hug. Want him to know it hurt me and my feelings.

1 Like

Time out we do floor sits

2 Likes

& fake crying my son falls for it every time lol

I wouldn’t hit back. Just shows it’s ok to hit each other. Just tell her what to do vs not. Tell her gently like this and run her hand across where she hit you. I wouldn’t give a reaction to when she hits you and do say no yet emphasize the gently part

2 Likes

14months they learn boundaries . Taking her out to be around other children is also important for playing and how other children act. They pick up a lot . Talking and time out work wonders when done consistently

1 Like

Correct and redirect. Don’t try hitting her to teach hitting isn’t ok that’s just confusing

2 Likes

Put her down and say that is my body I no like it. And walk away. If you are sitting playing and she hits to same thing, I like kind touches when she comes to you. Show her what a kind touch is, stroke her cheek. Putting my daughter down was always heartbreaking for her. But it’s a boundary you are setting for yourself and her.

2 Likes

Oh boy…so glad my kids didnt do that…I never had to hit them or bite them…

2 Likes

She don’t fw u… lol

4 Likes

Shorty said “I don’t fuck with youuuuu, you lil stupid ass bitch”. :joy::joy::joy:

My Dr told me to put my son in his crib or high chair every time he does that. Don’t yell. Just get up, place him calmly in time out. When he’s settled, or after a minute, calmly say that we do not hit, hitting hurts. Then take him back out and start over.

4 Likes

Punch her in the face :rofl: jk

6 Likes

How about discipline. A swift swat on the backside usually get their attention

2 Likes

Omg! Smack her back let her know how it feel

3 Likes

while firmly saying no, sit her on the floor in a safe place every time she does it. Even if she cries when you put her down, don’t pick her back up. Ignore the crying and just say no. Do it EVERY single time and she will begin to associate the smacking with mommy putting her down and not holding or playing with her.
Some kids do need a former hand and need to get a little swat on their hands to teach them it hurts to be smacked but I would try putting her down first.

1 Like

So much casual child abuse in these comments :neutral_face: hitting, biting, slapping, etc. A 14 month old is ridiculous. It’s abuse.

8 Likes

Use a booming voice. A little.louder then the stern voice. As soon as it happen, react right as it’s happening with a booming deep loud voice. Mine learned because that voice scared them. They stopped quickly because they didnt like that sound coming from me…it scared them.
We did the fake cry and that did NOTHING with those little monsters. Lol.

Exposing her to other children is a start too. They learn really fast after getting hit by someone else that it’s not nice to do. Just keep reinforcing “no” and overreacting as if she really brutally hurt you every time works too. Giving a big reaction like pretending to cry and say “ow!” worked for my son.

1 Like

Sorry for the long reply…I have a 16 month old, and he hits sometimes. It’s normal for toddlers to do that, they haven’t learned that when they do that, it hurts the other person. Also, they don’t have words to express when they are angry/frustrated. Their brains haven’t developed enough for them to be able to regulate their feelings and express them appropriately. It’s a learning process for them. Clearly there are some adults on this thread who haven’t mastered these skills yet, either. What I usually do is say “ouch, that hurts mommy when you hit.” And have a sad/hurt expression, so he connects the action with the feeling it causes. Then I say something like “can mommy have a hug/cuddle/something else nice that he could do in place of the hitting.” If he keeps hitting I usually just set him down for a little bit, so he gets the message that if he hits, that means we stop playing/interacting for a second. :woman_shrugging:t2: Then I try to distract him by showing him something he could do/play with. They will, over time, learn not to hit. It just takes time, and teaching.

Seriously dont smack her…dont teach her a lesson…its abuse! ©%$[ That is why children are turning out the way they do because you are not allowed to dicipline. Now listen…If she pulls your hair…tug her hair back and if she cries you ask het was it nice? If she smacks you in the face take her hand and give it a spank and say her name loud and clear and NO! Then put her down. If she want to up again and do it again do it again. There is a diffrince between abuse and diacipline. Dont hit the child till the blood is running. And all the youngsters saying its child abuse…seriously look at children in today’s life…and children when we were kids. We have much better manners than the brats of today.

4 Likes

Put her down every time she does it… if she continues redirect her . She will eventually understand that it is not nice … I’m in the same situation with my 15 month old and hes getting better at understanding how to be nice … I think they just do it to see what kind of reaction they can get … more of curiosity not really being hateful or anything

1 Like

A smack on the leg or ha d got me told. You’re being soft with her and she’s playing you. And if dad is seeing it, why isn’t he stepping in and letting it happen. Remove toys, and don’t give them her back till she’s stopped. Every time she does it, remove another. Even if it means she has nothing left. Speaking isn’t child abuse :joy:

1 Like

I tell my son that he is hurting me and he usually doesn’t hit me again…for at least a little while. Smacking doesn’t work with every child and honestly saying “it isn’t okay for you to hit me, but I’m going to smack you” really doesn’t help.

I start off telling one of my boys “no” or “please stop that” and try telling/teaching them that it’s not okay and ask them if they don’t like it, don’t do it to others. When they still continue hitting/biting/scratching or whatever, it’s a time out with no movie/TV or toys. :woman_shrugging:

My daughter went through the same exact thing. I smacked her hand or her bottom and she learned really quick to stop because it doesn’t feel to pleasant. It works and it’ll stop in no time

Because they learn. that their actions have consequences. We dont do these things because * It hurts*. I used words to correct my boy result more smacking. I used time out also resulted in more slapping. I’ve always accepted advice n tried to avoid physical punishment because I did not want my child to be harmed. That is until the smacking biting and pitching kept escalating… My natural reaction got the better of me and I flat smacked him back! I felt like a gutter rat… But truth be told when the crying was over for both of us we shared a kind hand conversation nice hugs n loves. it was weeks before he slapped me again and even then he said sorry within seconds!
Im OLD n my First child came to my surprise 3 years ago. Sadly Pain teaches people even little ones. Falling hurts but it also motivates them to focus on balance and so on…call me. ole school ,simple minded, weak, pathetic, bully, piss poor mother or what ever you choose.He is my responsibility to raise. All people are different.

1 Like

Spank her litt butt or do the same to her when she sees how it feels maybe she will stop

Take her by her “hitting “ hand… sit her down on the floor … hard enough to show authority get down on her level look her in the eyes and say … No!! Do not hit me … that’s not ok ! … Stand up and no attention for 3 mins … keep doing it until she stops … walk away … bad behavior gets no attention

I feel the need to say this again, but DO NOT SMACK BACK OR PULL THEIR HAIR! It will only have the opposite effect in the long run.
14 months old is still a baby!!

5 Likes

Take the child’s favorite doll or stuffed animal. And hit it really hard. Tell the toy, if you hit me again, you will get hit harder. The child will know you mean business. And realizes that he or she might feel your anger, they won’t want to get hit.

Ok does no one believe in accual disapline anymore?!!? Yes she’s a toddler this is when they are learning the most. No doesn’t mean anything if there’s no consiquences to their actions. I always did it back but if your not comfortable with that atleast do time out. Some form of punishment for the bad behavior!!

As you can see every parent has their own idea of what is appropriate or not appropriate means to get this to stop. I have 5 daughters, and all I can tell you is weather they are 1 year old or 16 years old if you don’t gain respect early on you will have a problem child. A child that hits you at ANY age,has a parent that’s allowing it to happen.

1 Like

That’s a tough one because she is still a baby, she may not realize this hurts, because she laughs when she does it. I say when she does it, do it back to her only once so she can see that it does hurt, then when she cry let her know “see that hurts” and tell her you are sorry and that you won’t do it again. I feel like kids will mirror what they see maybe she saw this somewhere tv, etc? At least this way she will understand that it’s not nice, that’s how you learn. My son was 2 and we had some incense burning in our temple and we kept warning him not to touch it he will get burnt and he kept wanting to touch it, so finally he got to touch it and burnt is finger not severely or anything but he never tried to touch it again that’s for sure.

2 Likes

Say no firmly and sit her on a naughty spot. Trust me shes old enough to understand.
Be persistent and dont give in.

Just say “No Hitting That’s Mean”
Then remove her from the situation and sit her on time out for 1 or 2 mins.

Do it EVERY time she hits or does something to u. She will learn. Nip it in the bud quickly

4 Likes

Show her who the mama? And that Mama made business spank her butt. Be a grown up for a change. Sometimes you have to do what you don’t want to when it comes to a child that will not mind. I can’t stand hitting a child. What if they keep on doing the same thing spanker, but show him you mean business? That’s the only way you going to take him and get respect. From them

3 Likes

Gently slap her back with a firm NO…worked for my kids.

1 Like

How u lot gona tell the kid NO SMACKING by … smacking her :thinking::woman_facepalming:t3::joy: double standards will confuse the poor kid.

Firm discipline helps.

1 Like

If you’re asking random ppl for advice. Than we have a problem. She’s your kid. Discipline her the way you see fit. A child who isn’t around other children will only mimic what the parents do to each others… you’re the momma not her friend. So toughen up and show her who’s boss. Believe me she knows whats she’s doing even at 14 months.

1 Like

First you need to figure out where she has learned this behaviour and address that issue. And let her know that you will do everything you can to make sure it never happens a again. A friend of mine had a 3 yr old that did that had issues of kicking pushing hitting and throwing things at people when he was mad. He threw something at me in the car when she went in the store. I caught it and asked him if I ever hit him or threw anything at him. He said no. So I told him that I would make a deal with him, I would be his friend and never hurt him and if I saw anyone hurt him I would take care of them and he had to be my friend and never hurt me or let anyone else hurt me. We high fived on it. Kids understand a lot more than most give them credit for. He is 16 and a great kid. He tells everyone in his cool aunt.

To each their own, what we did was time out in the crib seeing as my son wasn’t old enough to understand the concept of standing in the corner in timeout.

Pop her hand, pop her butt, tug on her hair, anything that gets her to realize that it hurts.

4 Likes

Spank her butt and she will get the hint

4 Likes

Don’t worry :wink: it’s a trend among kids that age.

Disgusted at the amount of people that think its fine to hit a baby!

1 Like

Say no and smack her hand

2 Likes

I agree good butt warming always gets there attention

2 Likes