My 14-month-old still refuses to walk

My dad held my kid’s hands and walked her until her legs were strong enough to hold her. She finally walked at 13 months. Hold the baby’s hands and walk, everywhere around the house, until she gets it.

1 Like

There is no harm in going to your GP and just checking everything is ok. Have you tried a walker with wheels that she can push? But if she’s cruising furniture she’s half way there! :slightly_smiling_face: just keep doing what your doing to encourage her she’ll get there

1 Like

They develop at different paces. My first was before a year, 2nd right at a year, and now I have a 14 month as well and same thing. He has been so stubborn to walk for me. He’s just now starting to finally take 6-10 steps at once. I’m not sure how hands on you are with her but I believe that’s what delayed my guy. His daycare teacher told me she believed it was a situational delay and I realized it was ME holding him back. I carry him everywhere and will hold him all night if that’s what he wants. The week I started to make him sit on his own he suddenly starts taking steps.

Get her around a few 3-4yr olds for a few days. She’ll walk to try and keep up with them

2 Likes

Awe I miss my only daughter this little! Enjoy it, it flies by :heavy_heart_exclamation:

She’ll walk on her own time mama! My son just turned 13 months and he has no interest in walking. Would rather crawl to his destination but he’ll walk along furniture. Your daughter will get there soon, no worries! If you’re still concerned, you can always talk to her pediatrician and see if they have any concerns :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Unless your pediatrician has concerns I wouldn’t worry,

1 Like

Every kid is different. She will walk when she is ready. There is no rush

My oldest was 15 months when she walked and my 2nd walked at 7 months

2 Likes

Had an older lady(at that time…now I’m older LOL) tell me…if they’re walking they’re not talking….if they’re talking they’re not walking. My daughter talked very early…didn’t walk until 18 months. I wouldn’t worry!

Let her hold on to stuff until shes ready. Entice her with toys or food she.likes. one day she will just let go and take off and then realize she can, and that will be it!

If your Peds dr has concerns have them get you in contact with early intervention… Otherwise she’ll get there.

1 Like

Some kids walk at 9 months, and some walk at 15- all is normal and will build confidence in time!

She’ll get there. Average age is 15 months which sounds old but its not.
My 4 kids were all different.
14 months
10 months
15 months
14 months.

2 Likes

Give her time idc what these books say when she is ready she will do it. My kids walked at different ages.

1 Like

Give her until 18 months, if nothing changes talk to your doctor.

1 Like

My little boy only just started walking about 3 weeks ago his almost 16 months was cruising along furniture for like 7 months

My oldest didn’t walk until 18 months. Give her time it’s not a baby race.

1 Like

My son was 17 months before he was fully walking.

1 Like

She will walk when she’s ready. Mine showed signs at 9 months but didn’t walk until 15 months

2 Likes

Walking toys will help.

My son didn’t full on walk til he was 17 months . They will walk when they’re ready

1 Like

When my son had chunky legs we took his for massage at age of 4 months so they make his feet more strong ^^

She will walk when it’s time

2 Likes

My son was almost 19 months when he finally really started walking on his own. However, he was speaking in full sentences by 10 months. Don’t listen to the books, or well intentioned friends, it will come when she’s ready to. My son also ended up being on the high functioning part of the autism spectrum too

Give her time she’s still little and she will gain her confidence on her own

Not ready yet, will when she is ready NO SET TIME …

Honey Idk when kids started developing so late but it’s on you. Make her want to walk or wait it out. If you choose to make it happen then you have to also choose limiting holding and carrying her. I’m old school so both my kids were walking by 1 and both threw out their pacifiers at that time too. What ain’t broke don’t need to be fixed

Shes holding 0n n walking…give it some more time…but bring it up to a doctor tho…just to for precautionary

She’s right on track. She isn’t behind, yet. Near 2, there may be some worry. She obviously has interest in walking if she’s walking along holding/leaning onto things.

1 Like

I would talk to her pediatrician. You have to keep in mind too not every child is the same and some progress slower than others

Idk I’d be worried🤷🏻‍♀️ that seems really late

I was the same as you my lb wouldn’t walk with out holding into stuff and being in his toes he was about 19 months when he walked and he was flying between walking and crawling now he’s nearly 22 months and nearly running.

I think she is totally okay, if she is holding on to things just give her another month and she’ll be walking. It’s totally normal for a child to walk after 1. In way it’s good because she is cautious and you won’t have to worry about her being on the loose and falling. I would also place her favorite toys on different sides so she would want to release the couch and walk over to her toy. What helped my babies walk was one person holding them and I sit on the ground stretching my hands out and when he walked forward we caught him before he fell and made it a fun game. So he wanted to do it.

She will do it in her own time. Stop rushing her :woman_facepalming:t2:

4 Likes

As a Mom of 3, all my children have been different. My oldest son walked 2 days before he turned 10 months, my middle son didn’t start walking until he was nearly 16 months and my youngest will be 13 months next week and while she’s taken a step here and there, she isn’t quite there yet.
Just be persistent with practising and encouraging. If you’re super worried you can always make an appointment with her doctor but from personal experience, I wouldn’t worry just yet. Before you know it she’s going to enter the walking phase for a week or two and go straight to the running phase! :joy:

Sometimes the calcium goes first to developing teeth and they will start teething earlier than the ones that take their first steps sooner… development is everyone at their own pace.

My oldest was 16 months before he walked, my second was 11 months! They’re all different! Don’t worry

1 Like

She will do it when she’s ready

1 Like

M daughter is 17 1/2 months and has only just started standing on her own and walking 1-2 steps towards you.

M daughter is 17 1/2 months and has only just started standing on her own and walking 1-2 steps towards you.

She is fine! My last baby was a little chunker and didn’t walk until 16 months and she just got up and did it! All babies go at their own pace. My daughter also had an older brother and sister who would carry her all over so I think she didn’t feel the need to walk lol

1 Like

My girl didn’t walk untill 1 and 3 months… she’s just taking her time. I wouldn’t worry… I’d say enjoy it actually… cause then you’ll be running after her everywhere :grin::smile:

Babies will do things when they are ready my 15 month just started walking now he’s on the go, I would not worry

She will mine didnt walk until between 14 and 15 months. Would get really mad when we’d force her to try.

1 Like

My son was 16 months when he started walking. He just took off one day and that was that.

Most people are under the impression that kids have to walk by their first birthday. Totally not true! Every kid will develop differently, and some won’t walk past their first birthday just because they aren’t ready to yet.

Mine didn’t walk till she got tubes in her ears. We didn’t have chunky thighs. Lean machine all the way.

My oldest was 15 months and my youngest was 10 months. All babies are different. She will be just fine.

My oldest was 15 months, just in absolutely no hurry lol. He is now a gigantic, 15 year old, saxophone playing honor student.

Give her time she will walk when she is ready .

Don’t worry my daughter didn’t walk untill she was 16 months, and a week later got on a bicycle and road it,

My boys walked at 14 months and my granddaughter walked at 10 months .it looked weird because she was so tiny!

She will give her time. My daughter started walking at 14 months

1 Like

My first started at 10 months. My 3rd around 16 months. I thought there was something wrong. She just didn’t want to walk until she was ready. If there are no medical issues I’m sure it’s ok.

Our younger son dragged himself around until almost 18 months.

Don’t stress, she will do it when she is ready. Apparently I was 18mths old!

My 2 tummy movers walked at about 9 months.
The all four crawlers later
One at 13 months the other at 15 months
My tummy movers could not manage a decent crawl until about 13 months
The crawlers were VERY fast at getting where they wanted to go and would often drop to all 4s even when they could walk lol