My 15-year-olds hair is thinning...advice?

So recently I noticed my 15 year old son’s hair thinning on top (both of my kids have always had super thick hair) I thought this was from him wearing a gaming headset a lot. Today I noticed my daughter’s hair (10) has started to thin out and it’s making her hair part wider. We have stayed sick a lot this year so I’m unsure if this could be the issue. We use Dove shampoo and conditioner currently. Could this cause it? any recommendations on good shampoo that won’t cause hair loss? we plan to see the doctor to have labs done to rule out any deficiencies or medical problems.

15 Likes

Dove did the same thing to mine, my mom’s and sil’s hair.

1 Like

I started taking biotin and my hair stopped falling out. I also use Routine shampoo and conditioner. It has helped tremendously!

I would start them on really good vitamins and rosemary shampoo and castor oil a couple times a week at night! Of course get them checked out. Good luck

1 Like

I have to take prescription vitamin D. It makes a big difference. Also as someone said, many meds will cause it. Good luck!

1 Like

Switch to a sulfate free shampoo and conditioner I had to and the major difference in my hair!!

Could be a vitamin deficiency. I lose hair whenever I’m deficient in something. You could also add hair skin and nails supplement.

3 Likes

Yes dove done my hair that way

2 Likes

Rosemary oil helps hair growth. My hair got so thin after I had Covid

2 Likes

Do they take any medications? One medication made this happen to my son over time. I took him off of it and it grew back thick.

3 Likes

I switched to paraban free or medicated shampoos and it’s helped so much. A volumizer would work good.

I’ve noticed my hair doing this and I use dove but thought it was because I was vitamin deficient. I’m thinking I may need to switch shampoos and see it that helps

4 Likes

Have thyroid checked assp

Could be the Dove shampoo but sounds like possibly a thyroid issue… hopefully you get some answers soon!

5 Likes

Get her vitamin levels checked!

If you have had covid u can bet its from that!!! I had hair falling out in fistful I use to have thick hair…now it’s thin…

It can be caused by stress.

3 Likes

Sounds more like genes to me

1 Like

Dove shampoo is known for using chemicals that make your fall out

4 Likes

I’d definitely look into changing my shampoo and conditioner, followed by getting them in sooner to the Dr. rather than later to rule out any possible deficiencies or other possible problems. Thanks.

5 Likes

Dove shampoo is full of chemicals, I would switch to a different one

4 Likes

Thyroid probs can cause loss of hair, I have thyroid probs & my hair has thinned out so much. This does not mean that is what it is. It is important to see someone soon, doctor will provide tests.Also when your not well the body seems to be stripped of the nutrients in your hair as well. I wouldn’t jump to conclusions till tests are done!

1 Like

Sounds crazy, but have they had Covid recently? I have a friend that started losing hair about a month or so after recovering.

2 Likes

Get bloodwork done … found out I anemic and this caused my hair to thin

2 Likes

There are a hunger of factors that could lead to hayride. Stress, diet, rapid weight loss, etc.

Where it seems like the only common factor you disclosed is the hair product I’d stop using that. I’d also consider calling your MD.

Covid has been causing this for tons of ppl that I know.

1 Like

Get some labs run… Check thyroids esp in the girl check hormones etc. my PCOS started around 10/11 it will cause hair thinning. Also is your dad or if you have brothers if they’re bald or balding it could be hereditary for your son.

3 Likes

As someone who is anemic I’d recommend going to the doctor to have labs drawn for a variety of things that could cause. Hair loss for me is a sign my iron is low.

2 Likes

When I had covid, my hair thinned significantly.

I would not use Dove shampoo or really any shampoo that u can buy at a drugstore. I would suggest going to a salon and purchasing a better quality shampoo!

6 Likes

Take a hair vitamin - gummie. Also, change shampoo products and conditioner. Routine is a good one. Could be vitamin lacking in diet too.

1 Like

Stylist here. Yes the dove can do that. Any non professional brand can as they leave a build up which can get into the pores & kill the hair follicle. Professional brands do not do this so not only are they better for your hair they are also cheaper since you use less of it. Professional brands can be found in salons not at your local market. I also recommend getting them checked at the doctors to see if they have any medical issues like thyroid covid or other things. If the doctor doesn’t find anything you can also check with a dermatologist in case it’s alapechia

4 Likes

If both of them had Covid, then that is a pretty sure bet. You should ask both of them if their hair comes out after shower in unusually big amounts.
You would not believe how much hairloss Covid can cause. For me it was impossible to deal with - I usually don’t have any loss beyond the few broken hairs after washing while combing, but those two times after covid for about 3 to 4 months each I was freaking out majorly. After washing my hair was coming out in fistfuls (you could stroke your hand through hair and it would come out in fistfuls) and the rest of the time my long hair was shedding everywhere at my house. It was so annoying and impossible to deal with.
The first time I understood that it was Covid only because I went to the hairdresser a half a year later to chop it all off in hopes of it growing back stronger and they said that this is common (especially for women) for people who have had it.

1 Like

Medications, stress, hats, tight pony tails ( or anything that contricts the hair ), lack of vitamin D…If your that worried, take them to get blood work and explain to the doctor your concerns

1 Like

I don’t recommend using any cheap shampoo and conditioner like that, salon quality or better. i use Nexus on my 7 year old daughter’s hair, and a biolage leave in spray, and a Paul Mitchell “skinny serum” bc she has very thick, coarse hair

1 Like

They need to go to the doctor asap. They need blood drawn and covid tests.

3 Likes

Did they have covid? A lot of people lost hair after having covid.

1 Like

Shampoo does not cause hair loss. Dove is actually a good brand. Sickness can cause Telogen effluvium (temporary hair thinning) and Covid is a known cause for this. Also- genetics play a roll too.

• Dermatology nurse
6 Likes

Stop using shampoo every day.

1 Like

Change in diet? If y’all been sick a lot?..some medications cause it.

1 Like

Have you had Covid? Because when I had it the first time 3 years ago, about 3 or 4 months later, my hair fell out. Like a lot. It eventually stopped and has come back.

3 Likes

Ask their doctor, could be hormonal imbalances, diet issues, vitamin deficiencies, or even genetics

4 Likes

Try sulfate free shampoo and biotin supplements.

2 Likes

What kind of sick? Stomach issues, with hair falling out. Check for toxins, poisons. Might sound cra,y, but I would.

1 Like

My daughters did that and Dr said it’s from stress. Had a long name. He didn’t see the need for labs but I insisted and they were fine. Kids stress Too. Biotin works great for regrowth!

Could be from Dove. I’ve heard it damages hair quite a bit. Could also be hard water as well.

It could be from anxiety please talk to them and have a doctor check 

Might be hard water, you can get water softeners that attach to your shower head on Amazon. It has helped me.

Get some hair, skin, and nails vitamins

I would stop using shampoo and conditioner and only use it when really needed. The shampoo/conditioner could have stripped the hair of its natural oils.

It’s probably the shampoo.

You could also try adding some vitamins in so the hair grows back faster. I love these:

I lost ziplocks full of hair everytime I brushed . Went for lab work and was diagnosed as a diabetic on insulin and synjardy for a yr now my hair is finally growing back im

If you have been sick I would check for mold exposure.

Only wash 1/2 times a week.

Yes stop dove now! It is horrible for the hair. So many chemicals. Try natural shampoo or rice shampoo to help re growth. And vitamins for sure :+1:t4: hoping that solves it and no doctors are needed fellow mama

There could be because of a number of reasons including hereditary. Best see a doctor.

Shea moisture is really good. I use OGX on my daughter’s hair. There’s an app called Yuka that’s great for scanning beauty products and foods for chemicals and unwanted additives and whatnot. Just scan the barcode and it’ll tell you. I avoid Pantene because of it

1 Like

Your water, clean the shower hose part and get a filter

Go to a doctor to make sure there is no underlying health issue, while trying a different shampoo.

Stop using dove! It has horrible reviews main one being hair loss…

If you google reviews, a lot of people have complained about hair loss from using dove

Ingredients in shampoo and conditioner can cause loss of hair. I’m so sorry your family is dealing with this. I hope they both fully recover from whatever is causing their hair loss.