My 18 month old barely eats: Advice?

My 18 month old barely eats. Maybe some yogurt, about a handful of goldfish, or a belvita biscuit cookie. Just snacks. He turns his nose up at what I cook or feeds it to the dog. I’m worried sick, and I guess I just need to hear if other moms have gone through this, and it’s just a phase.

8 Likes

It’s just a phase, always remember if they get hungry they’ll eat

Kiddos tend to slow down for a bit at this age due to a growth spurt ending

My son is 8 and still just grazes for the most part. I stress weather he is getting what he needs, but he is healthy as can be. He is a very picky eater and that does not help…but usually once a week or so he will have a day that he eats tons and even huge meals…then goes back to just grazing on a few snacks that he likes :woman_shrugging: he has been like this since he was 2 and is growing just fine and is very very active and plays sports

2 Likes

Could be a phase or teething… trust me they will eat when hungry… sometimes I think my 5 year old survives off of one chicken nugget a week :woman_facepalming::woman_shrugging::roll_eyes::grimacing::rofl:

2 Likes

Kids are super picky lol I would start making smoothies and see if they are a go. They taste good and you can hide veggies in with the fruit! Great for them!

Probably just a phase. I’ve been going through it with my lo for a few months now, he changes up what he’s willing to eat, currently it’s cheese and applesauce. I sneak in a pediasure a few times a week just to ease my mind

Probably just a phase. As a mom with two boys with high functioning autism I do know that they are and always have been extremely picky eaters. They will starve before they eat something they don’t like. It’s a sensory issue for them. Just my two cents. But definitely can be and probably is just a stage! Some kids won’t just eventually eat, there are underlying issues that you may not know. So if that is the only thing he will eat then I suggest letting him eat the limited food while still trying to introducing new foods.

So normal… he’ll eat when he’s hungry he won’t starve himself don’t worry mana

My 4 yr old does this too. Everything I’ve read online and with doctor, this is normal. When she gets hungry, and eats the better foods, we all just do the happy dance. Right now its goldfish, cheese crackers and peanut butter. Good luck.

My daughter is 2. She does the same thing. Her doctor said it was just a phase that most children go through. When she’s hungry she will eat. If you’re really concerned, I’d reach out to your child’s pediatrician.

My son will be 3 in July and still hasn’t taken an interest in meals. He eats breakfast well but other meals, he will turn his nose up and just want to snack. I could make him his favorite meal for lunch or dinner and he still won’t sit down and eat. Some kids are like that.

My daughter will be 2 in May and she has been then same way since she was around 14 months old. She pretty much survives off of macaroni and cheese, soy milk, and cheese. There are days when she hardly eats anything at all. It stinks but I’m right there with you!

1 Like

My daughter did this! I felt so good when she ate. Don’t worry though soon your son will be saying he’s hungry every 30 minutes :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Currently going through this with my 18 month old. Mac and cheese, pudding, apple sauce, goldfish. Basically snacks food not so much

It’s a phase, you could try tiring him during the day… like have more play time, outside time, stuff like that so it makes him hungry. Or you could also get him the little gummies at Walmart I believe that help them like have more of an appetite. I use those with my baby only when I notice him not eating much. Other than that I don’t give it to him. When he was smaller we had to give him pediasures. On win the morning, one at the afternoon. By the second day he’d be eating at every food morning afternoon and night. And just like the gummies I’d only give him some the most 3 days straight. You should see a change by the second day. If by the 3rd day he’s still the same, it could be something else and you might wanna check up with his dr.

Probably a phase :blue_heart: my 16 month old is going through this and his peds recommended Enfagrow, it’s a toddler formula so he still gets everything he needs since he won’t eat.

My 5 year old never eats. She would go days just snacking, refusing meals. Doctor said it’s fine, nothing to worry about unless they are loosing weight.

My little man has the opposite problem, he eats everything!! I started him with smoothies adding banana, blue berries & strawberries then packing it with spinach and kale hehe. The fruit flavor helped. I would also feed him & cheer it on, for example, “YUMMY CHICKEN!!!” Or “YUMMY SUSHI!!”Once he would eat it, I would clap and tell him good job. He would be so happy and clap too. Once he finished everything or almost everything, I would reward him with a cup of half apple juice & half water. I kept doing this for a while & now I don’t cheer it on as much, since he eats it on his own but I do tell him good job baby.

My son is 2 and a half and he went through this phase just after he turned two. I was so worried about it, but eventually he started eating everything without me changing his eating routine. Sometimes they go through a little phase, but for the most part they bounce back and start eating again!! Stay strong it will be okay mama!!

1 Like

My daughters about to be 4 and still picky. I need to bring it up at the 4 year appointment. Last time I told them I give her vitamins daily but thought she would grow out of this but she still has fits if I try to grt her to try new things

Dont worry about it so much momma, at least he is eating something. As long as his pediatrician isnt worried and he is a healthy baby, its going to be ok.

I’m going through this also with my 22 month old…she will sometimes eat better if I place her at the table with the other kids or if I give her ketchup or ranch or something to dip her meat in she will sometimes eat a little more protein that way.

1 Like

I was giving my child a big bottle of milk, dr cut it to 2 oz at a feeding and he started eating-was filling up on milk and not eating-blood got real low

Most kids go through this, just offer healthy snacks, in small amounts until he asks for more. Never force a child to eat when not hungry that teaches bad eating habits, and will lead to obesity. It is far better to dish up a spoon full (as in a teaspoon or tablespoon) than it is to dish up a full plate.

Normal phase. I remember posting almost this exact same thing when my son was around this age. He’ll come out of it and start eating all day long! If you’re worried you could try pediasure or some type of supplement drink if you think he’d drink it.

Don’t wear yourself out fighting with him when he gets hungry he will eat,just don’t make meal time a battlefield

The wonderful thing about small children, they eat if they’re hungry. They will tell you if they need more. If you notice it is affecting your little ones weight gain then I would bring it up to a doctor and see if you need to be supplementing

One of the best things my pediatrician ever told me is this… kids will NOT starve themselves.

They go through phases and this is normal. As long as at well visits he/she is within her healthy range for growth no need to worry.

2 Likes

My kiddo has been the same. I just make sure to sneak in a pediasure at some point during the day to make up for her picky eating

It’s just a phase I went thro it with all my kiddos

Had the same issue
I started adding ketchup to everything (almost everything) and she ate it :woman_shrugging:t2:

My 2 year old did it. Some days she wouldn’t eat hardly anything some days she’d eat me out of house and home. She’s a normal weight

My stepson ate goldfish crackers for almost 6 months straight :rofl: his pediatrician said as long as we were getting other things in with his diet he was just fine. :tipping_hand_woman:t2: It was worrisome at first, but after awhile he developed a ferocious appetite and is a pretty healthy eater now (13)

My daughter use to be like that! She turned 2 and eat everything :rofl: I also cut back on her milk and cut juice out completely so she eats alot more

I was always told as long as they’re hydrating, they’re fine.
My 2.5 y/o goes thru little phases where he will either eat like hes starving and drink less, then drink a lot and eat a little.

When mine got about this age I think they just hated the booster/high chair and liked running through the house smashing crackers and throwing food all over. So I set them up their own little table with little chairs and the LOVED it. Ate whatever I cooked at it, colored, playdoh etc. Sure they still threw food everywhere but at least it was healthy food

1 Like

My son ate very little as a child and is now 6’4” and over 200 pounds of big healthy man, just be patient and offer lots of options

1 Like

I have a 4 year that still will barley eat anything

1 Like

My son did this, he wouldn’t eat anything expect ritz crackers and what you listed. I was freaking out. I substituted enfagrow toddler formula and eventually he started eating. Now I can’t get him to stop eating! He’s a little over 18 months now but from 6 months to 17 months unless it was formula or crackers, he wasn’t eating it.

When he gets hungry he will eat. All kids go through growth spurts and you’ll find some months he seems as if he eats too much versus other months. Don’t worry yourself just find things he likes to eat and feed him that. As long as he’s getting good nutrients he’ll be fine.

My 18 month old requires a real fork n when in doubt ranch We always keep hot dogs n chicken nuggets on stand by as well

My daughter did not eat enough until she was 2 yrs old. She will only eat crackers, yogurt, pudding on a very minimal ampunt. Doc said not to force as children will always eat something when hungry. I think most kids around that age go through the same.

Kids are minimalist when it comes to food. Keep it simple.
& Continue to offer lots of milk. & Do not forget their stomachs are still very small. Offer many small meals per day.
What you consider a snack is actually a meal to your baby.

My daughter is 4 and is still this way :woman_shrugging:t4: hopefully she grows out of it

My daughter is 2.5 and she’s like this. Doctor said as long as she’s drinking water and isn’t losing weight she’s fine.

Yes my youngest I have had the hardest time getting him to eat. His doctor recommended the pediasure shakes because he is underweight for his height.

Your boy will not starve himself… I would make sure he’s taken vitamins in the meantime an drinking lots of liquids. I think it’s normal for a lot of kids to go thru this, My sons both did. an things went back to normal eventually. Don’t stress to much momma. As long as he’s trying to eat some things I would say it’s just a stage.

Omg my 3 year old ate like a tank until he turned 2.5 and how he has a bottomless stomach for snacks and barely eats dinner but eats well for breakfast and during the day at daycare… AND I COOK GOOD FOOD it’s actually rude :joy:

Kids will do that. My kids wanted tater tots for dinner…lol. guess what they’re eating? Lol

Dont give too much milk or juice and cut out excessive snacks.

I have an almost 8 year old who still doesn’t eat what I cook . She would rather have cucumbers, corn, bananas, yogurt, beefaronis and string cheese so we keep alot of that in the house .

He’s being normal. Flintstones toddler vitamins, milk. Stretch Island fruit leathers (Amazon). Try bacon for protein (the only meat my 2 yo son will eat).