My 19-month-old hates food: Advice?

My 18 month old loves to sit with daddy and eat from his bowl. It’s the same thing she refused to eat in her high chair. But with him she just cant get enough.

Try to include her in meal planning and cooking when safe for her, different shaped foods, let her push or have her own grocery cart when buying foods, as long as she’s eating don’t stress what it may be, Graham crackers, milk, fruit, raw veggies with ranch, nuggets, whatever makes her happy, breakfast, lunch and dinner

My daughter was the same. So i switched her food to vegan stuff… Now she eats. Someone told me to try it and it worked.

Don’t be afraid to add spices to food. My boys hated blan food. I had to doctor baby food, except fruit.

This helped with my picky eater

Toddlers go through this. Some days my daughter will eat everything in the house. Some days she will go a week just picking here and there. As long as shes in the normal ranges for her height/weight, I wouldn’t worry too much as per the advice of my pediatrician. Just keep offering a variety of foods. One piece of advice my sister and also the pediatrician confirmed for me is that kids won’t starve themselves. They will eat when they’re good and ready to, so just keep offering and monitoring.

1 Like

Look, if you can’t get her to eat it is very likely a sensory issue…she needs to see a doctor and possibly have a occupational therapy eval. Sorry that’s not what you want to hear but its the truth.

Most kids will eat when they get hungry enough. Kids with sensory issues? Won’t. They will in fact starve themselves.

3 Likes

Per my Pediatrician: A toddler should only get 3 servings, a serving for a toddler is 6 oz not 8 oz, of dairy a day. Too much milk will cause them to feel full and not eat and also could cause constipation. Idk how much you give you lo but just food for thought. He also said to do extremely small portions. Sometimes seeing food is intimidating and it over stimulates them. Causing “anxiety, fear, or feeling overwhelmed”.
Also what helps with my picky ones… making faces or shapes with food. Also try smoothies… we do frozen fruit with yogurt or milk. Mine also love to help pick things out at the store. Another trick I’ve used (for food or drinks) is food dye. My son wont eat eggs unless they are blue and my daughter won’t drink water unless I use colored ice cubes. :woman_shrugging: but they think its soooo cool to watch things change colors! Does your lo only eat softer foods? Could be teething issues :woman_shrugging: my lo’s love frozen gogurt will pick that over ice cream even. If it is teething related the frozen gogurt will feel great on the gums.

1 Like

I took my daughter to a speech therapist and as she got older and acted like your little one we worked on eating. Best think I could have ever done for her. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. Continue to struggle and get frustrated if you wish. OR ask for help and perhaps have some success…

1 Like

My son is 2 and barely eats. He’s in the 20th percentile for weight. I just try to offer a variety of foods. And honestly what helps the most is letting him eat off my plate. I absolutely hate it but sometimes that‘a the only way he’ll eat anything.

My boys did that it was like a phase they went through dr recommended pediasure growth gain they now all eat pretty good

What about smoothies. Maybe she doesn’t like the feel of food slidi g down her throat so make a smoothie with all the vitamins they need at that age added to it … does she like ice cream, add that to the smoothie .

She could have underlying issues,
Sensory, speech, tongue tie, lip tie, talk to the dr try the pouches of food… yogurt soft stuff …
Anything really… I wouldn’t keep
Giving preferred
Foods tho, I find stuff that can stay out for a period of time when she’s hungry and that’s all that’s offered she’ll eat. I definitely wouldn’t do any tablet or tv. I know it’s easier said then done but that’ll be an awful habit when she gets used to it and expects it …

If food is a battle she will fight it! Play with food with her. To start only use a small amount of food and with only 1 or 2 types of food, so shes not over whelmed or suspicious of your trick! Dont get carried away by pushing a game into a meal too soon… just do it once or twice a day for only a minute or 2 then slowly build and extend types and amounts of food. Try for example… Squeeze out a strawberry rub the juices around in a pattern using the berry like a brush and then lick your fingers and eat the mushed berry. Break up tiny bits of bread and roll it into balls then pop one in your mouth! Make a tower out of small cheese cubes everytime it falls eat a cube! Etc She will join in if she sees u having fun! Remove the pressure away from eating and make taste and textures a fun game! It can be bit messy to start with but it all comes out in the wash! :+1:

Our ped told us that some days our toddler will pig out and other days he won’t want to touch anything. He said to just roll with it. Some days my son pigs out and other days I could swear he’s fasting. Hang in there. Try not to make it a big deal or your little will make it a big deal as well. I did start putting veggie pouches in a sippy cup and adding water so it’s an easy smoothie with minimal mess. As much as it sucks sometimes, they will eat when they’re hungry. I’ve seen some mom’s saying Pediasure could help with picky eaters. Maybe worth a shot if you’re worried?

I’d say supplement with a kids vitamin drink once a day and let her be. She will come around, just continue to offer a variety of foods to try. She will find something.
Maybe even try some fruit and vitamin smoothies

Our pediatrician said to let him make his plate, actually physically make it like at a buffet. So we are trying to prep a lot of different kid friendly stuff in Tupperware that we can take out several meals in a row to let him have more independence (that’s what she thought our boy wanted)

Have you tried letting her sit on your lap and eat off “your plate”. Mamas food taste better :wink:

My kids does that once in a while. I tell my kids if they eat they get a snack and I name off the snacks they like and they normally eat it I tell them they get one.

My son went through this at this age. He wouldn’t eat anything I made I’d take him to the grocery store and he would eat only crackers like goldfish and cheez its. I still introduced new foods each day and would have him help me cook but it didn’t help. They go through this and these things I did was what the doctor recommended to me. Just keep trying momma you’re doing fine

I think this is a toddler thing. My son who is 2, refuses to eat 90% of the time. I offer a wide variety of meals and snacks, but right now it’s peanut butter, cheese, pouches, cereal, fruit bars, and cheese pizza. I am a super healthy eater so it bothers me tremendously, but the rest of my family is moderately healthy in their diet, so we offer a wide variety and balance of foods. I’d give anything for him to just really eat though not just snack or a few bites.

Just a thought, limit drinks as it may fill her up. Stick to nutrition foods only, don’t give in to sugary treats and such. Try to offer one new thing a month and try not to worry.

2 Likes

Seriously why my kids did that they had nothing, and I mean nothing but water given to them until they ate something. Water and maybe a multivitamin of your concerned about their health. And always stop giving them water about 45m-1h before a meal

1 Like

Consistency! Get the meals ready set a plate down for everyone. If she eats fine if not fine. When everyone is finished wait another ten minutes then clean it up. No snacks unless everyone gets a snack. Ask if it’s too hot, salty etc. Ask if someone wants a condiment. If she has a request say tomorrow and then do it. Stop obsessing. Be observant, if someone doesn’t like something don’t serve it again. I can’t stand okra yuck!
Serve small portions. Generally no one will stave themselves. If they eat great if not ok. But don’t comment.
If you consistently do this for six months, your doctor will say if something is wrong.
Consistency one of the hardest things to do. Love, be supportive and be consistent!

The first thing I’d do is take out of the house all junk, like gold fish, etc. If she , stop worrying. My likes to feed himself finger food, get her cereal…vitamins, no sugar etc. Give her vitamins. My Ped said she will not starve herself. She’ll eat when she gets hungry enough. I guess he was right cos mine are now 60, 52, & 51? Get a cup of coffee hon and a magazine. Sit down and relax. Good luck.

Give him nothing. All day.

My kids 2&3 eat best in the car. Idk why but it’s where they really take in some food in there. My husband’s mom use to feed him in the bathtub when he was a toddler. I know for him she said he was just too busy to care about eating. My kids seem to be the same way. They can’t sit still long enough to actually eat but in the car they have nothing else to do so they eat.

I had a child who wouldn’t eat anything not even snacks. The doctor said he will eat when he’s hungry he made up for it in his teenage years that’s for sure. My youngest now is the world worst pickiest eaters. You have to limit the food you have in the house to what you want her to eat. If she’s eating the berries be happy. (However strawberries shouldn’t be given till they are 2. Maybe that has changed) this is just a stage. Be patient. Give yourself a break. She will tell you she is hungry. When she gets food only give her beneficial foods no junk. I know this stage may seem long but it will change. Be aware that every child goes through something. Once you think it’s over and you got her liking one thing the next week it will change on you again lol. Grab coffee and just know she will tell you when she is hungry. She will not starve herself unless she’s like my youngest who is 7 and demands gold fish on a daily basis then I’ll pray for you and your sanity lol. Good luck.

50th percentile for weight is great! Offer her meals and when shes hungry she will eat… I used to save the plate til the next meal and offer it again just to not throw so much away… toddlers are finicky eaters sometimes :heart::blush:

If she isn’t significantly losing weight then I wouldn’t worry too much. There’s been time when I though my son was starving himself then a couple weeks later he eats everything its normal. If you’re worried about nutrients maybe pediasure.

Take her to the doctor.and tell them you demand answers and don’t leave until you get them