My 19-month-old hates food: Advice?

My daughter is 19 months old. She would hate food if you were to ask me what her favorite food was. I cannot give you an answer because she does not have one. She is in the 50th percentile for her weight and 90th for her height. Just recently, I was getting her to eat very well with the distraction of an iPad or a game on the iPad and me feeding her…That did not last long. She is now refusing me to feed her and does not want to feed herself. I set her down at the table with her plate of food, and sometimes she eats nothing and sits there and cries the whole time. Sometime she’ll pick what she wants, maybe strawberries, or perhaps a few blueberries. Nothing significant. I am not the type of mom to sit there and say I need to bring her to feeding therapy or to the doctor because she doesn’t like eating. I see that she is a kid and kids are difficult. I’m just wondering if anybody has any tips to try to help her to want to eat. If there any other moms out there going through the same struggles that I’m going through of having a kid who just does not care to eat any food. It is seriously frustrating, and I get upset with myself because of how frustrated I’m getting because she doesn’t want to eat. I will appreciate any and all advice! Thank you

13 Likes

I went through this . This is a power struggle . Make some finger food and put it on a plate where she can get to it . Then dont say a word . Cut back on her milk and juice …way back . Shell eat . And dont say a thing . Dont look at the plate . You dont care . Trust shell eat

13 Likes

Make eating fun. Find fun recipes let her help make them and make things into fun shapes. You can hide vegetables and fruits ect in “desserts” as well. At that age they’re taste buds are changing their minds are changing.

1 Like

Just keep offering food. She will eat when hungry. All my children and grandchildren went through this.

Are you putting too much food on her plate? Maybe a tiny plate with 3 blue berries and if she eats that maybe a 1/2 strawberry. Sometimes kids just get overwhelmed by the choices. Whatever you do don’t give in and start feeding her junk food to get her to eat.

On my 4th 6-yr-old…
All I can tell you is get some pedia-sure and wait it out. For jags are common at any stage because kids are different. Just find a shake flavor she likes and a multivitamin for small kids. And be patient.

“I am not the type of mom to sit there and say I need to bring her to feeding therapy or to the doctor because she doesn’t like eating.” “50th percentile for weight?” “Cries the whole time?” Something is going on with her and yeah IMO you DO need to take her to have her checked out. There may be something medically wrong that she won’t eat.

17 Likes

Give her a bottle of instant breakfast.

2 Likes

My tip is be a damn parent and take her to a pediatrician! There may be something wrong and hurting her and that’s why she’s not eating. If it is just a power struggle then make something she’s eaten before and tell her she absolutely gets nothing else till she eats it. Period. She’ll eat. And if she doesn’t you know something is truly medically wrong and quite frankly you’re not being a good parent by not getting her checked out.

You could hide important food like meat and veggies under the fruits that she enjoys… Or put a little apple sauce on top off the important foods… She needs protein and veggies too… Very important… Veggies in fruit smoothies as well…

2 Likes

She will eat when she’s hungry…don’t try to make her way at any special time just let her know food is there…a power struggle you don’t need

5 Likes

I had this issue with my son, she may not be ready for solid foods, but you can still feed her jar food, what I did, I mixed fruit jar and a protein and/or veg and mixed them together so she couldn’t taste the icky stuff. You may also try very soft runny fried eggs, my son liked those. But, I would definately take her to the pediatrician, so its well documented, and they can help you tremendously. Also, be sure to keep her on a regular feeding schedule, and try not to give her too many liquids about an hour before feeding. Don’t ever hesitate to take your daughter to the pediatrician…its for her health…I hope this helps

No Dr’s needed…be strong…that’s what’s wrong with kids today…they don’t need a Dr. …just a strong parent

4 Likes

All of mine went through a period where they wouldn’t eat. Like one has said, cut back on milk and juices. When she gets hungry she will eat. If not then try pediasure. Does she try to get your food when you eat? Maybe have her pick out foods she wants when shopping?

2 Likes

Simply leave food around her. If she gets hungry enough, she will eat something.

2 Likes

I went thru this with my kids when they were little and their pediatrician told me " as long as they’re staying hydrated don’t stress over it, eventually they will get hungry and they’ll eat " he was right everytime.

When my oldest was young, she went through a period where she didn’t want to eat. I tried many different foods and finally I got her to eat yogurt. So that’s what she got until she decided she would try something else. She was fine and turned out to be the best eater out of 3 children. Just try different things like you’re doing and she will eventually eat. Good luck and remember “you got this”! :heart:

Could she have an issue with swallowing food? My neighbours child had this and needed a doctors attention. I would say make sure it’s not a medical issue first.

The more pressure and stress u push off om her the less shell eat
She already has control over u. Kids eat when they are hungry. Give her food, set it down and ignore her. She will realize she doesnt have power over u bc you dont care and she will eat. Kids often do this when they feel they have no control in their life. They will start not eating or over eating or even start wetting their pants or refuse to poop.

2 Likes

Make food fun and let her help with the age appropriate parts. I know finger food. Are big plus with kids It sounds as though. She might be bored. With eating so you got to Make it fun. Cuz when she She does eat. Don’t fuss too much about it. Just tell her that’s wonderful. Would you like some more I know my son did not like If we made a fuss

I know this is going to sound stupid but it usually works. Make yourself something to eat. Don’t make anything for her. Pretend you’re on the phone to someone in the next room. Say how you made this really nice lunch for yourself and you are hiding so you don’t have to share cos you are really enjoying it. Kids tend to fight for what they can’t have. My daughter always wanted what was on my plate when she was little and pushed her own food away refusing to eat it. It was the very same food but she wanted it cos it was mine. If she asks for some make it seem like you really don’t want to share and after a few minutes say oh fine but you can only have one bite cos its mine. Chances are she will annoy you for more. Same with smoothies. Mom’s special drink. Hopefully she will just grow out of it soon. Best thing is to not seem bothered about whether she eats or not. That way it doesn’t become an issue with her. If she says I’m not hungry say OK like you are not bothered. The more you try to coax her to eat the more she will resist. Best of luck.

I put out crackers and fruits and veggies on the table and water in a sippy cup.

2 Likes

I just thought of something else… Peanut butter on the strawberries and bananas… Peanut butter has protein in it… Definetly put veggies in smoothies look up recipes online… And the protein situation i would just grate and shred meat stick it under some apple sauce… Kids love applesauce and you can hide all the good foods under it… It will work, i know it will !! A while after she will get use to the flavor without the apple sauce…

2 Likes

Do you still have her formula? Some kids get all they need fro a bottle. A trip to the doctors might be a good idea.
A healthy wont starve.
She might be a grazer . Eats small and often.

1 Like

Um, go to a doctor, there’s a difference between a picky eater and a kid who just wont eat! There could be something else wrong.

3 Likes

Keep in mind…a normal stomach size is your fist.
Which is actually quite small.
If the child eats as much as their fist…no need for worry :blush:

2 Likes

My daughter hardly gained weight after we quit nursing at 18 months she would go days without eating a full meal shes 6.5 now and is in the same boat 50% weight 90% height but my husbands family are all super tall amd skinny (my mil is 5’7" and weighs 116lbs) i started giving her pediasure and vitamins a little before she turned 2 to make sure there was nutrients getting into her shes a better eater nowbut still doesn’t gain weight for anything

One of mine was excessively fussy with food, gagging on mouthfuls… Fast forward 23 years on and he is aspergers… Explains so much as commonly they don’t like textures, the feel of certain foods in their mouth, feel of things on their skin (finger painting was out lol)… Could be many reasons, including just a stage they go through.

2 Likes

Take away all iPads devices strap her in her high chair make her food and nothing else let her play with her food herself

4 Likes

My mom had 3 girls each of us went through something similar to this. Each of us had only one food we would eat and doctor said as long as we would eat it and since it wasn’t candy or sweets we would grow out of it.
One would only eat pasta one would only eat peanut butter the other only mashed potatoes. Eventually we would eat just about anything.

What did they do in the old days before choices?
Fix it and give it to them
Eat yours and do dishes for example while she’s there eating to keep an eye on her but she doesn’t know what your doing
Do this over and over daily, she’ll eat

3 Likes

definatly tell her no ipad until she eats… alittle bit of tough love is necessary. and if she doesnt eat within a reasonable time she gets no ipad at all

2 Likes

My son didn’t like to eat either so I put his food in a sippy cup

Why is the kids controlling the parents? What happen to actually meals? Take the iPad away from the dinner table.

4 Likes

Absolutely no devices at meal time. Present the meal to her and eat yours. Finish whatever needs to be done in the kitchen before removing it from her and putting it away. Then go about your regular routine. Stop making a big deal about it (she may be sucking up the attention that not eating is getting her.) She will not starve…she will eat before that happens Mama. I was the same way as a kid and so was my brother…we finally started eating regularly…it is a phase. I definitely would talk to her pediatrician though…maybe get a supplement since she is under weight.

Start her on vitamins and let her help with her food like let her pick out different items but do not put more than 3 items on her plate and only 1 table spoon of each for sometimes little ones turn away from foods when there’s to much there and with her food give 1/2 cup of milk make it colorful and fun also another thing is at her age is texture she’s still trying to figure them out something’s she just might not like the way it feels specially if she’s teething , you can mention it to her pediatrician on next appointment and they can let you Know if this is becoming a problem but most grow out of it overtime and some may never go for different textures , but just be patient .

3 Likes

My son only eats chicken nuggets, fries, fruit and pasta sides :woman_shrugging:t2: I give up

The doctor it could be something in her mouth or throat

2 Likes

My son is basically 2 years old and has been this way always. He simply eats when he wants. There is no getting him to eat if he doesnt want to. And when he does it isn’t very much. After 6 months of it, I asked the pediatrician at a check up. She said as long as he is growing to not worry about it. 💁 talk to your doctor and don’t stress.

Try taking the iPad away and attracting her to do some finger foods with you when is time to eat, it may get her more interested in food!

1 Like

Take her to the doctor there will be something wrong with her

2 Likes

Oh for Pete’s sake, at that age it’s not unusual for this at all. She will eat if she’s hungry enough and if not don’t push her or force the issue.
As a grandmother I’ve seen many toddlers do this and it doesn’t last long. Only if she continues to refuse eating for an extended period of time should you start worrying. As long as her checkups are fine, stop worrying and if you can’t get it off your mind ask your pediatrician if you should add a multivitamin to her daily routine, they make gummy vitamins kids love.

I also figured out if I cut all snacks, and told her why she did better. I even cut out any drinks except milk and water. I was worried about her also but the doctor told me they would eventually eat. If they do not eat at all that is when you worry. They both ended up being good eaters, one just held out for what she wanted til she figured out that did not work.

2 Likes

Have u tried giving her baby food from Gerber that has a sippy cup thing on it try.that if she crys at the supper table shes just plain not hungry believe me shell eat when she gets hungry but I would take her to the pediatrician just to get advice anyway

1 Like

Make her healthy finger foods and stop worrying. I have 3 kids and 10 grandkids. They will eat when they get hungry at that age. Stop stressing over it

1 Like

Definitely something going on, could even be sensory issues. I would 100% for sure get that checked out before it becomes a very serious problem.

2 Likes

I’d be having her tested for thyroid and other things I had an under active thyroid and did not want food wasnt hungry

2 Likes

Eat your meals the same time as her and she will sit and watch you eat and that should tempt her x

1 Like

Try involving her in the cooking… My 2 year old wouldnt eat until I got her helping to make the food. Give her a play knife while your cutting veggies. Get her to pour in ingredients! Get her to plate her own food to. This helped me out a lot! Hope it works for you to!:v:

I’m gonna say doctor pronto and stop the tablet crap at the table that’s ridiculous

1 Like

Hand her small portions of healthy finger foods !!! Thur out the day !! Fruits veggies eggs mini muffins !!

1 Like

Sometimes kids just don’t want to eat. You have to try feeding them at least once a day and then as they get older and can understand why they need to eat they’ll eat.

Do you only offer structured times to feed or can she eat anytime? Is she drinking large amounts?

1 Like

don’t worry about what percentile she is. she isn’t a book. my 5 year old doesn’t like alot either. every child is different. throw the book away and let her be her. ask yourself, does she look ok? my 5 year old only weights 44 lbs. he doesn’t eat much.

2 Likes

For the ages 1-3 my little cousin would only eat pb&j and drink petasure kids shakes Dr kept telling my aunt it was fine as long as he was eating protein and vitamins hes 5 now and eats like a goat lol maybe talk to a dietitian

1 Like

Are you replacing the food with milk when she doesn’t eat. If you are I would say don’t give her the option of the two.

1 Like

Some cartoons about eating?

1 Like

She might not like certain food textures. And I would reduce whatever she is drinking. But I would bring this up to the doctor.

1 Like

Maybe try giving her character foods. Paw patrol waffles, peppa pig chicken nuggets the Perdue ones have veggies in so they’re healthier and get more out of them, maybe let her help make fun snacks like ants on a log or cut fruit into shapes with cookie cutter ect. Let her help and then she’ll eat the food bc she made it. Good luck!

Try pediasure that way she gets all the vitamins and nutrients she needs when she isn’t wanting to eat food. If it continues longer then she may have a thing about textures or something. Speaking with the pediatrician about it doesn’t hurt they can give you an idea whether there’s a reason for it or it’s just a picky child.

1 Like

Oh Mama!!! I’ve been in your shoes! My youngest son was the same. I was told to keep offering food. They have different tastebuds than we do. So keep offering the same foods like 25-50 times before she will like it.

Also, dont give milk at meal times. It will decrease her appetite. You may limit milk during day. So, she doesn’t fill up on it. Feels hungry.

If you can sit down at the table. Allow her to make her own plate family style. Also, when you go shopping, get her excited to help you choose items. Like apple’s and peanut butter. Kids love dips! Ranch dressing for vegetables. Peanut butter and yogurt for fruit.

My son is now 6, he has started eating more foods. But still hates cheese, pizza, and occasionally wont eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

3 Likes

Maybe get her a plate and utensil set in her favorite characters? My son has severe ear infections and sinus infections so he sometimes struggles to eat. A lot of times I make him a plate of crackers and cheese cubes, berries, olives, veggie straws, little stuff he can just walk by and pick at throughout the morning or afternoon.

1 Like

Her belly is still little and she’s probably still getting used to different foods.
I would leave a little tray with random food items (that are safe to sit out for a few hours) and just let mine graze. They would still sit with us for dinner but I’d just let them graze during the day. Forcing her to eat won’t have good results. Unless she is 100% stubborn like my son, she will eat when she’s hungry.

I went through this with my 1st. Doctor told me she will eat when shes hungry. I couldnt get her to eat anything and than one day i started making different kinds of pasta… offer her some and than eat myself… next thing i know shes eating like a champ. Now she eats pretty much everything.

1 Like

Does she have any trouble swallowing or complain about a stomachache. I think it is worth talking to her Doctor.

1 Like

My sons 16 months old and he’s going through this stage atm but I found sitting him at the table with us to eat at every meal time has been working don’t get me wrong some days he won’t eat but I keep some food pouches in my cupboard to offer him if he doesn’t eat but we don’t allow him down from the table till we finish eating same goes if he is eating we don’t leave the table till he finishes

If you can’t get her to eat solid foods maybe try smoothies & protein shakes to supplement? My daughter is 2 & she’s so picky, doesn’t like to sit still & eat but I usually have her help me feed her 'babies" & she will feed herself in the process too

You can try protein shakes. With my son I went with the rule that he will eat if he’s hungry :woman_shrugging:t3: every child has a different appetite.

My son does the same thing. He has periods where he barely eats and then he has periods where he literally eats as much as a grown man, and he’s 16 months. For my son, it’s just phases he goes through. As long as your offering, she’ll eat when she wants to eat.

My son has sensory processing disorder and had severe texture aversion and overactive gag reflex that required feeding therapy for about 2 years. I would talk to your doctor and go with your mommy instinct!

1 Like

My daughter didn’t like to eat and she was TINY!! I was so worried about her height/weight. She would eat like a bird eating a bite or two here or there all day long. Maybe try offering food (in small quantities) at frequent times throughout the day rather than 3 structured meals. Try making stuff from scratch if you can too. I discovered my little one used to love fruit smoothies. I have a Ninja bullet and is blend up a frozen banana and some frozen blueberries and she went crazy over it. She loved it. You can add veggies to it too like some spinach or carrots. Juat make sure its pureed well. Good luck!

My daughter has been like this for a long time. For a while she would only eat peanut butter sandwiches. I just went with it. She is starting to open her variety up now at 3. But barely.

Whether you want to hear it or not, she’s either fine and healthy and you’re offering a variety of foods on varying schedules to find what works for her and your issue is that it frustrates you OR it’s that she really doesn’t eat anything or seem fine and healthy, and if that’s the case, you should consult her doctor and not internet strangers.

1 Like

My son went through this. He has always been in the 90th percentile for his weight so he can afford to skip a meal. Even now, at 3, sometimes all he eats are chicken nuggets and cheese. If he goes all day without really eating, I give him a pediasure before bed

I was also told to not worry about each meal. They will eat when they are hungry. But look at a day or two of her eating.

Toddlers and young kids are typically picky eaters to begin with. I started telling my 6 year old, that the chocolate chip cookies I baked, had peanut butter in them. Otherwise he wouldn’t eat them.

Leave something out for her to pick at all day. Even if you have to change it out so she gets a variety. She’ll eat when she’s hungry

Try fruit smoothies for days she absolutely refuses to eat… Instead of having an iPad to distract her make it a game between the both of you see who can make a happy plate first kinda like a race… That’s what we do with my 4 yr old niece

My son is 18 months and going through the same. He’s been the same weight for 3 months but his pediatrician isn’t worried. I don’t see how he makes it some days- I try everything and can’t get him to really eat. I keep offering snacks and give them to him when he asks for them. I guess a snacker is better than him not eating at all. They’ll eat when they get hungry.

My oldest when she was younger would only eat cereal. The doctor said still offer her food but if that’s all she will eat that will be ok. She is 20 now and she still eats like a bird.

She may have sensory issues…
my kiddo now 11 was same-way he only liked fruits and vegetables, chicken nuggets, toast, dry cereal, pizza and plain pasta, bacon, eggs, cheese,

1 Like

I was also told they will
not starve themselves , i kept my son on toddler formula till age 3

My daughter was like that then I started including her in the decision making for food ideas and it helped alot and we found what she liked

My one son ate only hot dogs, cooked or cold (gag) for 8 months… Pediatrician said to let him, he would eventually get sick of them. Well he did after 10 months (I gave him vitamins during this time) and he’s 30 now and won’t TOUCH a hot dog of any kind… Lol!

2 Likes

Is she healthy? What does her doctor say about her health.

We have a kids table in our living room. We put food on it and he runs and plays and goes back and forth eating when he wants. Also, my doctor said it’s what they eat all week, don’t try to judge it day by day. Because toddlers sometimes eat a ton sometimes eat barely anything.

My son’s feeding therapist said if meals are stressful, he will develop an aversion. She may be getting worse because of your frustration. She also said to offer a food at least ten times before deciding she doesn’t like it. Your daughter may be going through a stage or she may have sensory issues with textures that will require feeding therapy…but you’re not one to believe in that so good luck.

2 Likes

She will eat when she’s hungry. The child is not going to starve herself. If she starts dropping weight then its time to see your pediatrician.

We have same issue shes just over 2. So 27 months she is on toddler formula 2x a day 8 oz wont drink milk . Eats very little and one day may eat total of 10 bites of food and some foods shell eat one day wont eat the next… it’s crazy frustrating. Hoping it’s a faze and we quickly grow out of it… I run a daycare and she still doesnt eat what others eat… she will watch or socialize…but not eat

Use reverse psychology, prepare urself a meal and sit and eat in front of her and let her know she no allowed to have any.

1 Like

Teething and growth spurts caused my little dude to eat less. They also graze at this age, so it’s ok to leave a little plate out for them to munch on.

Another one. My one year old daughter would only eat fresh fruit and raw veggies. I would freeze a children’s protein drink in one of those plastic homemade popcicle trays and she thought it was ice cream, twice a day because she wouldn’t eat meat. You will learn the tricks momma!

My step daughter lived off peanut butter on a spoon for 3 months…it was the only thing she would eat

Toddlers are an anomaly, honestly. You don’t look at what they eat in a day. Keep a food journal and see how much she’s eating in a week’s time. If you think she’s having issues after that, speak to your doc. She might need some occupational therapy. It happens. But definitely don’t stress over it. 50th percentile on weight is literally perfect. She’s ok.

Mine is super picky too. It’s a struggle. However, he eats way better with my dad (his grandpa). So a couple times a week I make sure we have a meal together and he’ll eat whatever grandpa is eating! Nothing from me. Maybe it’s a novelty thing, who knows. If you have someone they just love you could try that? I’m sorry. I know that this is soooo stressful!

Definitely needs protein drink ask doctor best for her age group. Freeze if necessary. Offer toast, Cherrios, bits of fruit, cheese, put on a plate on a kids table and let her pick and choose!

1 Like

First off, cut out the milk except for meal time. Milk fills them up and they won’t eat.

4 Likes

I had the same problem.The dr told me not to worry about it they will eat when they get ready.My 2 boys were very small and when they did start eating they couldnt get enough.They are now 6ft 4 And 6ft 3.Like Peggy Godshall suggested get her a protein drink.maybe boost or ensure.Lots of calories and they taste so good.Good luck.please try not to worry and yes or pediasureWhen my boys were little none of that was abailable.they are 49,forever 42,and 40

Anything on a stick might help and make it look fun. They can hold it and eat whatever food or snacks you put on there

My son is the same way. I know you don’t want to hear it but … he needs feeding therapy. There’s nothing wrong with that.

2 Likes

Girl my daughter is a picky eater don’t worry too much. She loves berries and raw veggies the most. I gave her the toddler formula or even the breakfast shakes. I also made smoothies. I found she loved eggs. She is now 8 and is still picky sometimes she doesn’t eat 3 meals a day and just snacks on stuff. She is healthy and happy