My 2-year-old does not listen: Advice?

My son will be two next month, and he doesn’t seem to listen. I have done everything I can to get him to, but nothing seems to work. About six months ago my sister in law moved into our house with her three children (ages 1, 3, and 7) ever since my son has been biting, pinching, pulling hair, and hitting. He only does it to his three cousins! He has several other cousins that he’s grown up around and has never been mean towards them, but these kids he is horrible too! If we leave for a night to go visit my mom or family, he acts great, but when he’s around these kids, he won’t stop trying to hurt them. I’ve tried timeout, telling him no, putting him to bed, putting him in his room, taking his toys away, etc. nothing is working! Please help!!!

4 Likes

How do those kids act around him? Maybe he doesn’t like them for a reason

2 Likes

He’s 2, buckle up it gets worse :joy:

3 Likes

Could he feel his home has been invaded. Are they mean to him when no one is looking. Is he still getting as much attention.

11 Likes

It’s the terrible twos and an invasion to him on his turf unfortunately enough - when it’s only him then bam there is 3 more is a lot for a child to adjust to and it does take time very that adjustment but a lot of the time it’s not only the one child - he could be being provoked and no one sees it by the other ones. And of course if mommy shows attention to the others it could be a bit of jealousy as well. Just keep working with him things will work out sweetie.

2 Likes

Time for sister in law and kids to find their own pad…
Solution solved before it gets worse.

8 Likes

Sounds like he’s struggling with the new family dynamic. Give him individual attention- do things with just him (no other cousins around) and work on time out etc. if he’s struggling to communicate with the other kids, that could be part of the biting and hitting issue. Work in giving him words to express his feelings. You might also watch carefully to see what’s triggering the issues- is someone taking a toy that’s his, are they in his space etc.

He is an only child- having 3 other kids who are siblings and will team up against any outsider (not saying they are the aggressors but that the siblings probably have a dynamic that will inevitably leave your son out) is probably quite difficult for your 2 year old.

1 Like

How do these kids treat him? My son will act meaner towards kids that are mean to him otherwise he is a very sweet

1 Like
  1. He’s 2. 2. What are those kids going to him? I’m sure this isn’t one sided.

If he wasn’t doing the behavior 6 months ago, ok well he’s still a baby, he is learning the behavior somewhere. Yes little ones bites, but if it’s continuing then is it happening to him by a older child maybe even in play. He’s a baby so something is going on.

No 2 year old listens

2 Likes

He’s 2, he’s learning independence, he’s trying to show his emotions with a lack of communication, he’s probably frustrated and feels his home is being intruded on. Also they don’t call it the terrible 2s for nothing.
Changing your discipline technique all the time won’t do anything you need to pick something and stick with it.
My 21 month old time outs work best. He stands in the corner for 1 minute (1 minute for every year they are) and it works really well for him.

Are they doing anything to him that’s what you need to look in to an see what’s going on there

6 Likes

Sounds like these behaviors are being learned from the other kids… or hes trying defend himself. The not listening part is just part of the terrible twos momma. I’m going through it too. My middle one will be 2 monday. And she hits her 8 month old sister, kicks her at times… she gets overly excited playing and hits us but we get stern with her and she stops. Shes even full on kicked my husband in the face while sleeping. So I cant say that these arent normal behaviors either (because this is the age they start pushing their boundaries to see what they can get away with) but I do think the other kids have something to do with it too if it’s to the extent that hes not stopping no matter what. Pay attention to them like out of the corner of your eye or listen in on them.while playing and see if you can get an idea of what’s really going on. And if those kids are negatively effecting your child’s behavior… I’d say they all gotta go. I know its harsh and its family… but that’s your baby. You gotta do what’s right for him.

These kids are obviously treating him like this so he’s lashing out. Handle the other children and your kid will straighten out

1 Like

To me it sounds like he may be doing those things to get attention. (I’m not saying he’s not getting any). I work with 2 year olds and see this behavior a lot especially if there is a new sibling, or if they feel the attention they use to get is focused on someone or something else. My advice is, is to make sure to spend plenty of adequate time with him, (again not saying you’re not) but, a little extra love goes a long way. I know it’s hard! Good luck!

4 Likes

Keep an eye on them other kids. He’s learning this behavior.

Maybe not have these kids around? Your kid should be your world…

1 Like

I would put up a baby monitor and watch their behavior see if it’s any different when adults are around them just step back and watch everything

1 Like

Sounds like he’s had his safe place (home) taken over, he’s uncomfortable, and lost for attention.
Are they mean to him and you don’t notice? Are they getting more attention?

That’s a big change and he has no way to communicate how he feels nor does he understand how he’s feeling.

1 Like

That’s why it’s called terrible two’s.

Pop his butt or his hands…but make sure these kids aren’t the real issue!

1 Like

How about talk to him about how he feels and validate that kids don’t know how to control emotions like us and get to the bottom of it and rule out that noones fucking w your kid first and foremost

5 Likes

I’d try to understand why hes doing it and try to understand how he feels instead as he may feel he’s not getting anymore attention or not as much,so instead of all that,try to understand why as it could be hard for him to be around other kids that young.

6 Likes

Take time to understand where’s he’s coming from then help him cope with his feelings

4 Likes

Seems to me, there’s something going on you dont know about… maybe they’re mean to him because he’s the baby. He dont know how to control his emotions yet. Try a play therapy to help him talk.

I had the same problem when we were sharing a house with family my daughter would bite, hit and be really nasty to her cousin it didn’t stop no matter what we tried until we moved into our own place

1 Like

Try time in not time out, keep him with you and away from the other children. He might just need some time with you.

Every behavior has a need that isnt being met. Every behavior is a reaction to a feeling they dont understand. Hes 2 he doesnt understand feelings. He is using aggerssion to express the feeling he is feeling for some reason. You need to use feeling words I know your mad or I know its different having all these people share our home and I understand it must be frustrating… Or maybe he sees their parents treat those children differently than you. Not saying this in a good or a bad way but id suggest a coparenting life style same rules for all children to follow that’s age appropriate. If they let the kids scream in the house but you dont let yours and he gets introubke because others are allowed to scream but hes not that maybe confusing and make him feel angry. You have to teach him how to recognize feelings and provide him with other coping tools such as going for a walk or scribbling on paper squeezing a stress ball you and hin made together. But its also the age.feelings are more than just words or thinking you feel the physical aspects of that feeling.

1 Like

Sounds like he’s defending his territory. Giving him a few things that he doesn’t have to share and a some alone time with you might help. Our pediatrician taught me that pinching the back of their upper arm is far more effective than a spanking… if it gets to that point.

1 Like

Definitely seem as if he’s acting out because they’ve came into his space without him having any input, I think you need to sit all the kids down and discuss what is his with them and make him his own space for his alone time and give him a little more one on one time. He can’t tell you what he wants or how he feels and kids don’t adjust like adults, they have no choice and he had this thrown in his life without his consent and now he’s expected to share mom, toys, and his safe space. So, it’s a communication error, not a behavior problem. My almost 2 year old started acting out when we got a dog or when her dad would get home from work for attention and because she felt neglected and didn’t know how to handle it or tell me. I picked up on what she was doing and now she get almost all the daytime living besides for walks with the dog and while she naps, and the dog gets most attention while our daughter cuddles with us or is asleep.

1 Like

Sounds like his cousins are doing something to him or he’s not adapting to changes. Punishment is making it worse.

The two’s are difficult to begin with. And any changes can make a single child jealous or act out (esp other kids who take away some of the attention). Is it possible for the Mom/kids to move back out? It seems like your child needs your undivided attention and some alone time away from these kids. It is possible, like others have suggested, that he is learning these behaviors from them (when adults are not around) or he is doing them in response to things they are doing. That is also not ok and again, he would need lots of separation time to help curb that behavior. If it is your house (which it sounds like it is) then your priority is YOUR child. Preschools and kindergardens will NOT accept children who act this way, or will boot them out. It takes time to reverse actions like these. I would get those other kids away from your child one way or another and focus more on your baby and intervene with a child counselor if necessary. Two’s are hard but not every two year old acts this way. This is an extreme reaction and will take time to stop. It sounds like it won’t happen with them around.

That’s a huge interruption in a kids life. He may be acting out because he is unsure of his place now in his own home. Especially if he now has to share a room and your attention. It’s really hard to figure out the reason. But def reinforce the good behavior. Really try to make sure you 2 are getting your own time together to reinforce that bond you have with him. Good luck. It just may take some time :purple_heart: each kid has their own thing that will work for discipline my daughter HATED to be in the corner, but son hated to have to sit on the chair. Just have to figure out your sons.

He might be upset that they are living in your home. You need to find a way for him to accept the change in a positive way. Make more one on one time. Try and see if there’s anything they are doing to him you are not seeing. Hope this helps

1 Like

Remove him from the situation as soon as he acts up, each and every time. No rewards for misbehaving. You can certainly make more one on one time, and it may help. But be consistent and do not allow this behavior

Maybe it might be getting done to him by the other kids