My 2-year-old doesn't have a great relationship with her dad: Advice?

My 2 yr old daughter and I have a great bond. She’s attached to my hip at all times and will even follow me into the bathroom to cheer her and daddy, however? Not so much. He definitely tries and will play with her, talk to her, etc. but she will usually run from him, say NO when he tells her he loves her, etc. I can see it hurts his feelings, but I’m not sure how to help. I don’t want to keep telling her, “go give daddy a hug” because I want her to understand her body is her body and no one else’s. BUT how do I help them gain a better relationship???

6 Likes

This is a normal phase. He needs to take her places, a park, lunch, a walk, etc. Just the two of them.

2 Likes

You can’t help him build a relationship…only he can do it.

4 Likes

Daddy daughter “dates” have him take her out to do something fun so they can bond

6 Likes

This is totally normal. Babes are usually obsessed with their moms for the first 3 years & then there’s a switch. As of right now I would just try to show her how much YOU love dad (so she’ll know she can too) & do activities that include all three of you

4 Likes

When you’re about to give her a treat or something have him do it or tell her to ask Daddy for it.

Our daughter went through this as well! My hubby was hurt when she wouldn’t spend time with him so I suggested that we reserve special things (like little treats, or special movies, or special games) for only when he’s home. A couple times a month, he’d bring her home a special chocolate she really liked or ice cream. And eventually she came out of the phase. Now they’re best buddies and she gets SO excited when he gets home from work because that means play wrestling and goofing off in ways I don’t normally with her.

You can try and foster them having more one-on-one interactions and maybe you go to a different room or leave the house for a little while so they can focus on their time together, but honestly kids go through developmental phases where they favor one parent over the other. Usually it is followed with another phase where the opposite parent is favored. It’s completely normal and should subside eventually. But there are some kids who are just more prone to having bonded with a specific parent, too :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

When my daughter was 2 she would tell daddy she didn’t love him and kick him out of the house by 4 he was the love of her life. Don’t worry it will pass.

1 Like

He needs one on one daddy, daughter time without mommy around and to do fun things, but also mommy needs to step back, maybe go for a coffee or walk and let daddy bath her and read a bed time story. It will be tough at first but worth it down the road, it is a normal phase.

Have something him and her do together that you don’t. Something that excites both of them. I wouldn’t really push it though. Could always be a phase. My son has been a mommas boy since he came out of me and still is. Some kids are just like that

Well my issue was Daddy’s movies and video games is what he did when he came home so there is no bonding time with that. (Ploping your kid on the sofa to watch you is no fun.)
I had to slap the silly out of that and insist he try playing legos, read to her, lightsaber battles, color, etc.

1 Like

Daddy daughter dates is a great way for them to bond together just the two of them. Also it may be something she grows out of I used to call my mom Lisa never mama or mom I grew out of it. It may just may take her some time.

1 Like

Don’t worry about it mommy mine did it too. It was so bad she would scream bloody murder if he even tried to get her out of her carseat. It lasted about 6 months. My hubby would ask me why she hated him. It was so sad. She is now 7 and stuck to his side. I started by just telling her let’s go give daddy loves and I would give him a hug and kiss with her in my arms and he would give us one back. Then We went to the you can’t love on my daddy game
She eventually just started to go love on him by herself.

My husband was going through chemo when our second daughter was born. He tried to but she wouldn’t go by him. She only wanted me. They grow out of it. She got real close to him eventually. To this day they are still close. Don’t do anything. Don’t force her. She will come around on her own

4 Likes

Two year olds have a phase where no is their favorite word. She’ll grow out of it. Let daddy know he’s the best daddy in the world because he’s hers.

3 Likes

Mine were the same way so I started making them go to their dad anytime they had a boo boo or needed a band aid! They finally got used to him and knew they could count on him just like they could mommy! It really helped when they were small! Plus it got him more involved with helping take care of them!

2 Likes

Daddy and daughter dates. He has to create that bond with her, you can’t do it for him.

5 Likes

Never force a kid to go to someone that they are not comfortable being around. Not all parents are created equal. Just watch the news.

I have a 20 yr old son and a 21 yr old daughter , my daughter was like that when little , boys and men where icky, lol , but He will be the image of what a man is supposed to be in her life and I can tell you she will eventually adore him, my daughter got married in August , her daddy cried, she cried, because her daddy cried, she will fight anyone over her daddy!!!

So, something not talked about much it seems, is that before anything else is done, try talking to her about why she doesn’t want to be near him. It could be important.

Continue to encourage her to go hug her DADDY!!

1 Like

Give it time. It happens naturally. I like the other comments: dates, mom & dad showing affection, a picnic lunch etc… don’t forget to read books to her. That could be something dad could develop into their thing.

1 Like

Have him take her for a day and have some fun just those two

Does she see you hold hands with dad or kiss him hello so she sees how much you how much you love dad?

5 Likes

Daddy/Daughter dates for the score!

1 Like

Welcome to 2yr old phases. Sometimes they go through this phase. It sucks. Let daddy know to not feel let down because of it. Just encourage the daddy daughter relationship. Like the daddy daughter dates. Just have her dress up in a cute little dress. Daddy in something nice and they have a nice little picnic lunch in the living room or a nice little dinner just the 2 of them.

1 Like

It’s just a faze my son did the same thing when he was two but now he seems to prefer daddy a lot of the time.

My boys are 18 & 16 my daughters are 23 & 15, they never leave the house without giving us a hug & kiss goodbye. Why wouldn’t you have your daughter do that with her dad. I get other people but your her parents. Seems sad to me that it wouldn’t be encouraged. If she was 16 I’d get it but she’s 2.

1 Like

My daughter was 100% all about me until she was roughly 8. Now she’s all about her daddy and she’s 13.

1 Like

Give it time. She’s at the age where she wants to assert independence, and she feels that is safe. Give it time. Also think about and be conscious of how you treat your husband, so if she’s watching you she’ll learn how to treat Daddy and later others in a kind and loving manner…

There’s a reason she won’t go by him or a reason she feels uncomfortable… maybe you need to look into it more…

2 Likes

Let time play out. My 4 year old did the same when she was 2-3. My husband and I work mostly opposite shifts. She’s mainly with me and I make most of the parenting decisions. She would automatically “like” me more even if I was disciplining her. Now, she’s learned that daddy has her back and often turns to him when we are all together.

I would say to encourage daddy though! Sometimes they are really trying!

That age is tough. Most kids go through a mommy only phase simply because Mom is usually doing most of the caring for the child. Is he tall or big?? Sometimes kids are scared of people who are a lot bigger than them. You said he plays with her. Does he get down on the floor or stand or stay in a chair. Also if he hasn’t had a lot of interaction thus far it might just be she’s not used to him and doesn’t know what to expect. Kids get scared when they don’t know what to expect from someone. Just tell him to keep playing with her. Maybe have a tea party or something that will show her he wants to play with her. Otherwise another year or so and she will open up her world of people and better be able to interact with him.

Ummm…she is 2 give her time. Don’t push it, she knows he is her Dad, but most babies just naturally want mom more.

Sounds like he needs more one and one time with her…she might be a little too dependent on you and I’m not saying it’s a bad thing but could be hurting their relationship. She needs to know it’s fun and safe with daddy as well

8 Likes

What she said plus you can’t force a relationship on anyone. Just give it some time. These things usually work themselves out.

2 Likes

My lil 1 was like that and still is some time,daddy needs more alone time with your child. I work every 2de saterday and every 2de sunday so my lil 1 grew to be very attached to daddy and myself. When im working daddy wil take her for ice cream and playing games and taking her to her fav uncle. She grew so attached to him that some nights she wants to lay with him or some mornings just want to be in his arms. More time so daddy can show her he loves her can protect her and be fun at the same time. Just remember that both of you should inforse the same boundaries aswell to make your child feel secure

Her body her body
But her mind is your mind
Baby are like sponges soaking up every thing
But you also got to remember your daughter is pure never sin so she can feel evilness

My son was like that with me and his father. Dad started keeping him while I went to the grocery store, or taking him to his favorite places, just the two of them. It helped tremendously for them to have together time without me. And as a stay at home mom at the time, it really helped me too.

8 Likes

Anyways need to rest have a bad tooth had me up most of the night
So anybody can have a kid.but it takes a real man to help raise that child
Me I would have to lay down with each child starting with my oldest daughter and talk to them rub ther back eventually I would say daddy loves you so much and she would say I love you to Daddy then she asleep mind 4 children each night

That’s her dad…
Maybe they need some father daughter time.

Th other I talked to my step son last time I seen was n 2000
He told me this
I remember you
You was like that father figure to me dam kid made me cry cos all my life I been pushed down

Remind her it’s not nice to be mean to her daddy. And daddy loves her

3 Likes

I was a mr mom 5 yrs 3 babies 3 n the morning standing in front of the stove feed my son burp him then lay him with mom in those 5 yrs my son would call me dad
His donor life n Texas my baby momma also had a 2 1/2 daughter who was mentally abuse she could not get off table until she was done
Her to within those 5 yrs she called me dad

Your child comes 1st

By time I was 2 my parents broke up and I was living with my dad and grandparents
But sadly to say
I was mentally being abused on cos my mom had my sister 1st we did not go to school with each other until high school
Lik I said no man is with the abuse you takn

With my son, he loves drawing and coloring. He loves his books and Justin Time. What we did was, while I am busy cooking dinner or cleaning or anything I couldn’t pay full attention to him, his father would het out the coloring stuff and just sit at the table coloring by himself, or reading one of Michael’s books or turn on Justin time. He didn’t ask him to join him, or acknowledge him. Just pretended to be having soooo much fun. After a few times of this, Michael started sneaking near him to see. Then about a week or two he would ask if he could color too or if he would read the story to him. It took a lot of work and was really hard for both of us. He cried for a lil while at first, he of coarse wanted mommy to do with him whatever it was daddy was doing but I just kept reassuring him that Mommy has a job too, just like Daddy so I cannot color right now but that I would be right there and he should color if he wants to. Now, 3 years later, they Youtube “how to draw _____” everyday together. Michael even gets everything ready and finds the video he wants to draw in anticipation of Daddy getting home.

You have most likely been her primary caregiver since birth. At two children are still sorting out their relationships. Try not forcing anything but Daddy might consider spending more fun time with her. Reading her bedtime story, going for walks and play.

So am single never married the mother she left me for guy closer to her age.
N 1998 to 2000 her husband father molested my children

I have 2 beautiful children. My daughter is my life and so is my son but we aren’t together anymore and she has a children he is more standoffish toward me then my daughter my daughter is a daddy’s girl it hurts that my son is not that close I kill myself it’ll just take time and pray that I win the lottery make them I better like

1 Like

I’m here if you need to talk anytime’.

Have them spend more time together such as during a mommy day out or have him take care of her when he’s off from work.

1 Like

Literally went through this same thing for a few months. You kind of got to be the bad guy sometimes when she wants something like food drink bath to open something offer not tell her but say daddy can do that for you and after a while she will realize that daddy can be useful and want to spend more time with him. Because for real yes our kids loves us but what they recognize is what we do for them how we care for them and dads usuallydont do as much as moms so when kids are toddler they cling to mom because we do everything for them and some dads just do the “fun” stuff. Lol if that make sense

13 Likes

Dates. Daddy-daughter one on one dates. Even just for ice cream or to the park.

It’s normal for a kid to gravitate towards one person most. Some of my kids have been Mommas girls/boys where others are Daddy’s girls/boys.

Plus, she is young. There’s still time to grow a lasting bond. Keep trying and know that she does love him. Just in her own way.

7 Likes

Do you display affection to her dad in front of her? Maybe if she sees you excited to see him, hug him, or kiss him, she might feel more comfortable to do so

6 Likes

Have them go spend time together. You go do your thing (spa, get your hair & nails done, grocery shop, etc) so dad & baby girl can get a bond

I’d have a few questions to ask her…

16 Likes

Hes gotta spend more quality time with her alone. Not much you can do yourself except go out and leave them alone together more often.
You could be the bad guy and say no to things…and tell him he can say yes.
But other than that theres not alot YOU can do…its mostly up to him.

Go away for a week. Leave them to sort their relationship out without you around

Daddy daughter day. We have had a daddy daughter day since our daughter was born. They spend Saturdays together. Our daughter will be 4 on the 29th and they still have their daddy daughter days

2 Likes

Before forcing the child to bond with her dad, you should first find out why she doesn’t like her dad.

10 Likes

Let’s not all jump to suspicious behavior. If mom does more of the “feeding/bathing” etc than wouldn’t it be normal that a kiddo would gravitate towards that parent?

8 Likes

If he’s home on the weekends use that as your day of self love and go out for the day! My little girl is much the same 99% of the time because i’m first point of contact every single day. since i’ve started just leaving her with dad to take her older sister to her dance classes in another town all day she’s gotten a stronger bond with him!

3 Likes

He just needs to participate when says no say u love her again she is only 2 keep doin it daddy she will come around (theres no fighting or anything like that to add tension is there if i may ask)

Trust me when she hits the age of 10 she will be all about him and will act like you are pure evil. It will change

3 Likes

There maybe a reason she doesn’t feel comfortable arounf him…ask her…

2 Likes

Leave them alone together. Don’t give her the option of running to mom.

1 Like

Go away every weekend leave her to have time with Dad without you

I push the dad to help with the really hard times… like ohhh the little one needs a buddy cause she’s scared. Take daddy. She needs help finding her favorite toy… daddy will be the one to find it. She wants a snack I wont normally give her… dad will.

1 Like

Totally normal. My son was the same way. My husband is a great Dad. I think it hurt Dad’s feelings sometimes when all our son wanted was me. Once he turned 3, maybe 3 and a half he started interacting with Dad more. Now at 4 and a half hes split pretty evenly between us. I think it’s just something a lot of toddlers go through.

My son dose this too hes 2. But hes fine with his dad when I’m not around.

1 Like

Let dad have his time with her it might just be that she is uses to you and not him step out from time to time and let him have his time with her over time she should carm down and be more open with her dad if not question her as to why she dose not like daddy …whatever comes out you must put that first my kids are like this when there dad was in the pic but he was a uses drug addict who was only around when I could afford him $$ so them bonding with him like they did me was never gonna happen ever…