My 2-year-old has been waking up at night screaming: Advice?

My daughter will be two in April. She has been sleeping through the night since the day she was born, but this past month she is waking several times a night screaming for mom. When I finally do come into the room, she wants me to sit on the floor outside the crib and hold her finger till she goes to sleep. We do this several times a night and make for some long days. My old man thinks we should put a radio or TV in her room and I am totally against a two-year-old having a TV in her room. I tried using a white noise machine as a replacement but doesn’t seem to be working. Advice, please!?!??!?!

3 Likes

Mine is usually ears

Do y’all you a night light?

My son was fine in a dark room till he was 2. Now he wants some light in he’s room to be able to sleep and during the night.

My toddler did this
She’s honestly manipulating you and there’s no nice or easy way to say that! Even when my daughter has night terrors I do her more harm trying to console her! I watch her on monitor
Get her a friend animals that goes everywhere with you guys so she feels safe with it! But it’s growing pains and her big imagination

1 Like

They’re called night terrors. Talk to her doctor. I think there are some things you can do. My daughter had them as well.

3 Likes

A fan is a good for white noise, we have a space heater in our girls’ room because their room is freezing, but during the summer they use the fan because they’re used to the noise now. We also have a small night light as well. But we still have occasional wake ups.

Night terrors or 2 year molars.

Night terrors. My daughter went thru it. Made it a few rough months. The doctor said best thing is let it work it’s course cause even though she seemed awake but not responsive to us was whatever was in the nightmare she saw us as…

My twins do this also. For Rosalie, it’s usually best to let her work it out. For Silas, I bring him out to the living room with the TV on for about 20-30 minutes to get him to bring his mind back to reality. Then he’ll let me lay him back down again.
It doesn’t happen every single night, but at least once a week or so.

My daughter has night terrors sounds like that.

1 Like

Night terrors my daughter had them bad they would last from 45 mins to two hours where she would be awake but not awake and just cry and scream and throw her hands and feet the doctor said there wasn’t anything we could do but wait for her to get out of it and comfort her. She never remembered in the morning either and eventually they stopped.

2 Likes

I use an amber light night light that’s on all night. Plus I have a nursery projector that plays pictures on the ceiling. Its voice activated so will turn on when they cry and has a timer to turn off after a certain amount of time so it’s not on all night. It has helped when he gets scared of the dark and needs help falling asleep. I used an older model of “munchkin nursery projector” but the latest model is not very good (noisy and pictures are choppy) so I recommend a different brand.

1 Like

Ask pediatricians about night terrors. Careful usage of good lavender drops on the toes and peace behind ears and Frankincense on back (very small amounts and diluted with rose hip or jojoba or even non refined coconut oil etc can help. Ve careful because too much can be toxic to anyone. I used roller bottles with both rose hip and jojoba. Also what about the item that projects the galaxy on the walls and ceiling?

Moshi twilight app is amazing!!

Use a night light and give her a stuffed animal or blanket something to sleep with and cuddle even during the day.

Might also try a sleep study or consulting an ENT. Some of the ped patients we see at my sleep clinic have night terrors and they will improve/resolve after removing tonsils and adenoids. It can be scary because they’re very young but I’ve seen it completely change the way some little ones are portraying symptoms and that’s just the short time they’re in my office.

1 Like

Try a fan or white noise maker me and kids sleep better with one on also a snuggly stuffed animal my son calls them baby’s and goes and picks a baby to sleep with him that night he even tucks it in

Night Terrors. I would go in and calm her, assure her she is safe and let her put herself back to sleep.

1 Like

Crystals and herbal teas.

2 Likes

This is not night terrors.
She is screaming for Mum not just screaming.
She settles when Mum is in the room.
With night terrors the child is actually still asleep like in a sleep walking state. It is extremely hard to settle them back down.

3 Likes

Learn to sleep on the floor

My daughter is 3 in June and she would do that sometimes but then it became every night multiple times a night and I called her dr because we were so tired and desperate and its heartbreaking hearing your baby scream and cry and not being able to help them! Sometimes she wouldn’t even let me touch her :disappointed_relieved: anyway, her dr’s office said its a common phase little ones go through sometimes and suggested Zarbees Children’s Sleep chewable tablets they have Melatonin in them and since she’s been on it she only wakes up crying here and there and not nearly as bad as before :purple_heart:

1 Like

All my kids except one did this and they still do it expect one lol I’m with you but I did notice on days they play outside they sleep threw the night

When my daughter did this out of the blue it took us a while to figure out what was going on. There was a mouse!!! Coming in from the corner of her bedroom floor.

My kids do this, nightmares, we do warm bath with bed time soap and loation, book before bed, lavender essential oils in a diffuser, we leave soothing nursery rhyme songs on, and they also have a light on their ceiling, this was all trial and error and this combination has helped some! Also kids weighted blankets are out next try if they get bad again. Best luck mamađź–¤

It sounds like sleep regression. My lo started it at 18 months. She turned 2 in December and still wakes up a couple times at night yelling for me or her dad. I’m 7 months pregnant and work full time outside the home so it makes for very, very long days. It was horrible in the beginning. She’d scream. Insisted we stay in the room. Hubby would lie on the floor until she’d fall back asleep but we decided that wasn’t the best idea from what we read… we’ve just been taking turns going in her room, not speaking to her, laying her back down, tucking her in and walking back out of the room and then just praying she actually falls back asleep and stays asleep. It’s been a long 8 months of sleep deprivation:(

Definitely night terrors. My daughter has been having these since about 2.5. We had weeks of really long days and nights. We would go in and snuggle and cuddle until she fell asleep, or would bring her in my bed if i was desperate enough. We got her a frozen projector nightlight and told her that Anna and Elsa are there to keep her safe. She still gets them, but not as often. Hugs momma, it’s hard but you’re doing great! :heart:

My daughter almost 2 1/2 had night terrors as well. Once I calm her down, we talk for a bit. She tells me, they wont let me sleep mama. Shes in a room with her older sister (12) and shes zonked out the whole time. It makes me think at her age there are spirits of some sort disrupting her sleep. Every other room she sleeps just fine, it’s her room specifically. Her pediatrician says it is possible for her age to interact with spirits. It creeps me out personally, but I cant change her room. Theres been nights that shes just up having a conversation with whomever. I walk in and her sister is sleeping through the whole thing. I dont know who shes talking to, but some are good and some scare her. I would talk to the pediatrician.

1 Like

I’m a huge fan of co-sleeping. It works for us! I know it’s different because your child has been sleeping through the night and isn’t now, but it sounds like she just wants you. Adults not under the influence of any substance can often sleep safely with their children!

Night terrors my daughter also recently going through this. Sometimes it’s short lived other times she’s ends up in my bed for an hour or two to calm down then back to bed unless she falls asleep in my bed then she stays

Following…

My 2 yr old son does the same thing and has been for the past 3 months once in a blue moon he will sleep through the night uninterrupted

Very common during this age due to sleep regresaion from development or nightmares and fears with growing imagination. Best help you can give is love, patience and comfort to help her feel secure and overcome. We also put in extra night lights and left the hall light on to help our boys. Maybe try getting a special teddy or stuffed pal to snuggle as well.

My son just started this two weeks ago. He gets so upset he pukes. Not not terrors though because he does it the second hes alone in his room. Separation anxiety for us I guess. I’m at my wits end.

I had a radio all my life, my now teenager has had a radio since birth, I played classical music for her (like mozart) white noise didnt work with either of us, try music.

Maybe get a build a bear with your voice in it?

My first born did this right around the same age. I ended up putting the Barney concert movie on for him every night it happened. He would watch it for a min and then fall back asleep.

My daughter is 2 as well and is transitioning to a toddler bed. Since she was about 20 months she didn’t want me to rock her to sleep anymore. She wanted to lay in her crib while I sit in the room with her until she went to sleep and she would sleep all night (as she had been doing pretty much since she was born) since being in her toddler bed she wakes up at least once every night and I have to go in there and sit with her. I sit with her at bed time until she falls asleep like I did with the crib but now she wakes up like I said at least once. And sometimes she screams and sometimes she will just say mommy over and over until I get there.

My son was like this but way more dramatic and took a lot more console him. I got him a glow worm and he goes to bed every night with it. I tell him that it will protect him and to hug it when he is scared. Worked so well!

I lay with him before bed
And he sleeps a lot better
We also allow him to crawl in our bed in the morning
Nite light
Pray/sing before bed
Simply ask what’s scary…it could be a jack o lantern bag or bucket in the room.
I noticed when it’s too hot in the room or when they need to go potty a nite terror will arise as well
Lots of hugs throughout the day…and reassurance

I had the same issue. I got one of those little einstein crib toys it worked like a charm. The first few nights I would go talk calm and turn it on and then kiss him and go back to my room after night three I could hear him bop it on through the monitor and he went back to sleep on his own…had to get a second one for my daughter when she came because he still uses it to go back to sleep if he wakes up and he’s now four. Good luck momma.

Baby Einstein Sea Dreams Soother Musical Crib Toy and Sound Machine, Newborns + https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DM86Z43/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_dEPuEbK5CNCMY

She is going through some big changes in her little body and mind and unfortunately it can lead to bad dreams but these are not night terrors. Night terrors involve the child screaming and looking like they are awake but they are locked in the night mare with their eyes open and it can be difficult to bring them out of it to realize you are there. This is just a phase they go through and it should pass soon enough. My little guy just runs to our bed when he has a bad dream and curls up between us and right back to sleep he goes.

My daughter had night terrors every single night for a little over a year. For the most part, they’re still asleep but caught between sleep and wake. I myself suffer from sleep paralysis. I left her a very low level nightlight, white noise from a fan, and some water to drink. I would go in the room with her and close the door, and just let her tell me what she needed. Most of the time she would just walk around or stand and stare. I would sit in the rocking chair or floor and when she snapped out of it, shed come to me and I’d snuggle her a bit before putting her back in bed. Night terrors usually start about an hour or so after they go to bed, and she would lose it but after we did all that she wouldn’t wake up for the rest of the night. Took 30 minutes to an hour to get her back down. My son does this sometimes, but not every night like she did

1 Like