My 2-year-old still takes a bottle at night: Advice?

Just cut her off. After a week of hell, she will move on.

1 Like

This is what worked for me. Put water in it instead of milk. If she wants milk to go to sleep, give in a sippy cup at bedtime. Then eventually do the same thing there (put water in it). Mine stopped waking up looking for milk that way.

3 Likes

Water down her milk a little at a time

So bad for the teeth. I would contact the doctor and ask for some tips in what they think you should do

Or just stop giving it to them kids adjust pretty easy eith change. Give her a big stuffed animal

I threw all the bottle away and yes she cried she screamed and all that jazz it was bad but we had to let her and a few days later she didn’t even remember the bottles lol… I know u feel bad and wanna give in but that’s why I personally threw the bottles away so I wouldn’t give in. For me personally she was getting too big for the bottle… good luck!

1 Like

My 2 year old does the same-Just do your best in trying to break the habit. Isn’t that what we are all trying to do as mothers, trying to do our best? Don’t be so hard on yourself…It will pass, the habit will break :purple_heart:

1 Like

I could’ve written this post about my 18 month old. We are still giving a full bottle at night with a little rice cereal in it. We tried melatonin but it was causing night terrors so stopped that. She’s doing much better lately after we started diffusing a sleep bend of oils every night. Got it at Walmart.

1 Like

Have you tried water in the bottle? Our little guy has to go to bed every night with a cup of water (he will be 2 in April). 9 times out of 10 he never uses it, but sometimes he does. My husband and I are both the same way. So he gets it honest

1 Like

Dental issues are going to be your worst nightmare. Speaking from experience.

2 Likes

Feed her solid food an hr before bed. And give her 2 oz only in the middle of the night. I had the same issue with MY THREE year old!!!

1 Like

Switch to just water. Once she adjusts switch to soft nipple sippy. Try it w ferber method

2 Likes

Start by diluting the milk, more and more each night. Most kids don’t care for watered down milk.

3 Likes

If he has to do a bottle put water only I learned that the hard way my son has 4 caps on his front teeth from milk bottles. He also was on the bottle until after 2

2 Likes

How many college kids do you see taking a bottle at night? She’ll outgrow it. Right now she needs that comfort.

2 Likes

Give her water instead of milk in a silicon top sippy cup.

1 Like

I switched both of mine to a sippy cup around that age and then switched them to water at night. It’s easier if you switch them to water while they’re still taking a bottle. They might refuse it for 2-3 nights but they get used to it fast

1 Like

Change to water instead, that’s what we did and it halted pretty quick

3 Likes

Ur the parent. It’s hard 2 see ur kids throw a tantrum but u just cant put up with it. I went cold Turkey with mine switching her 2 sippy cups and my daughter doesnt get anything but water after dinner anyway.

1 Like

My son was on a bottle for a while. He’s 2 now started to lose interest then I had my daughter and he wanted the bottle again for attention. I would put water in the bottle and everything else in a sippy. Praise every tiime he used the sippy and would give bigger thicker meals before bed, oatmeal is a good one. I would put water in sippy cup (leak proof) in bed with him. He lost interest of the bottle in his own because it was only water in it ALWAYS. Your daughter is 2 so sadly she already knows if she cries and throws up mommy and daddy give in. When she starts to cry WALK AWAY no eye contact DEFLECT and put attention elsewhere like snacks or favorite book/movie. Buy a sippy cup that mimics the feel of a bottle so soft tips and eventually move it to a straw sippy and then spill proof drinking “cup”
Good luck!

How many five year olds still take a bottle. Leave her alonr

For all those saying for her to keep that bottle…you paying for her rotten teeth.
I call it 3 nights in hell. Every new change is going to be 3 nights in hell. She needs you to be strong to transition her because she can’t transition herself. That’s why she has parents. We have to do that hard work. You can do it. Be strong and stop letting a baby run your home.

1 Like

This is my 18 month old i have just desided she will drop it when she is ready yes it sucks getting up in the middle of the night still but normally she only wakes up once so ill go ahead and fill a milk bottle and stick it in the fridge i do not heat it she drinks it cold most times she takes a few sips and she was just thirsty. I have tried water she threw a fit. The dentist said it was fine as long as i brushed her teeth really well and we do he said just dont give her juice for bed because the sugar sits on their teeth

Just take it away. Yes - it sucks but she will learn if she screams and cries that you’ll just give in and give her what she wants.

1 Like

My son is two and only needs one to get in bed
We replaced nursing with the bottle. So he has a strong connection to it.
We are going to make it just water for cavity prevention and our dentist said having it for a short amount of time once a day shouldn’t harm the shape of his teeth.
Maybe just give it to her to fall asleep and say “it’s all gone!” “No more in here” when she asks again.
It might be a fight for a few days but then that’s it!

Listen to her doctor and give her melatonin. It’s not harmful and all you are doing is keeping something that will help her from her for no reason.

I’m having same problem with my 17 month old son. I even tried melatonin and it don’t help he will still wake up

My daughter is the same she is 3 in 3 weeks x

Stop giving in. Deal with the fussing. It’ll stop after a few nights.

1 Like

Just throw it out and let her cry and throw a tantrum dont give in she will be fine

If you have to give her a bottle, give her a bottle with water in it.
Giving her milk to sleep can rot her teeth.

10 Likes

melatonin is natural ur body makes it i take it every night and it helps me to stay asleep i wake to go to bthrm and then go back to bed

My boy was the same so i just started to give him water…it was that or nothing :wink:…it works

4 Likes

Check out the show Super Nanny.

cold turkey. be the adult and stop giving in to her. she will be over it in a few nights.

3 Likes

Let her cry it out. It sucks, but it works.

1 Like

I spent almost $60 until I found a sippy cup my son liked and after that I took the bottle away and had a few nights were he fussed but he soon forgot about the bottle and just starting using his sippy cups

2 Likes

Be careful giving her milk at night. It can rot her teeth.

2 Likes

we told my daughter the reindeer ate the nipples off her bottles. Never went back :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

I was in the same boat w my son. I had him throw the bottles in the garbage with me and tell them bye bye during the day. At night when he woke up for one I reminded him we threw them away. He was HOT lol and hated it for a few nights then never even asked again. And would said “we said bye bye to baba in garbage” never has he had one since. And he was waking up 2-6 time a night for a baba. Didn’t even have to have anything in it :crazy_face::crazy_face:

2 Likes

We were in a similar boat. We have found the universal sippy cup top from the ‘boon’ company. I can fill her bottle, and slip this super silky soft, slow flow, sippy top onto her bottle. So it’s the comfort she knows, without the nipple. And it worked. She liked it, and eventually would just drink what she wanted and hand it back.

I took my son to see a friend’s baby. We left his bottle there for the newborn because she couldn’t drink from a cup. It worked. He asked for a drink the first night and that was it. The baby needed it!

3 Likes

Sleep sounds, white noise will help with sleep

Stop giving it to her. She will be ok in a night or two. Same fight we had with pacifiers as well. Just stay strong. It will pass.

1 Like

Slowly start making the hole in the nipple bigger, she is big enough to understand that it can be broken and offer sippy cup instead. Make sure you let her be part of picking out her cup.

I personally switched to sippy cups by age one so I don’t know the struggle.
But ya never know. It may help

Just gotta be a hard arse sometimes.
My boy is 3 yrs and still has full cream milk before bed, in a sippy cup.
I just threw every bottle out and dummys one day when i made my mind up around 1.5/2yrs old and if he wanted milk, was in a sippy cup.
Had a few crappy nights but he quickly learnt mummy meant business and that was that.
Stick to your guns - either toddler takes it in sippy or not at all.

Make the hole bigger helped w me, because it came out way to fast n then gave up lol

Gave bottles to the baby ducks :duck: lol mine believed it…fussed a couple
Nights n it was over.

The bottle fairy 🧚‍♀. Get one of the kids butterfly nets put on her favorite character let her know the bottle fairy have come to get it let her put them In the net do it 3 hr before bed be very excited about dance around with her make up a bottle fairy little song put where she can see it and let her k is the bottle fairy is going to take it to a special baby when she wake up to look for the bottle fairy leave a special gift for to open that the bottle fairy left her. For being a big girl. :heart::heart:

2 Likes

Be a parent. Throw the bottles away. Buy some sippy cups. She will drink out of them eventually. Right now she’s in control. That needs to change.

15 Likes

My son turned two in January and he sleeps through the night but when he was about 1 we gave him about 3 ounces of water if he woke up at night.
Dont give her milk at night after brushing. I hope you’re brushing her teeth twice daily. Dont want no rotten teeth in her mouth.

2 Likes

I had my daughter throw all her bottles out. She felt like a big girl. When she cried at night, I told her remember you threw them away because you are older now. I got her a sip of water and she went to sleep. Took about a week of waking up a few times in the night but after that, it was way better.

6 Likes

We told our daughter when she turned 2, the the milk fairy comes and takes all the bottles snd gives them to babies who need them. And that she would leave her a present for being such a good girl. We did the same for diapers… it worked for us… not saying its the best idea. But sometimes we do what we have to. And at 2, buying her a couple of sticker books and stuffy was all she needed.

5 Likes

Out of sight out of mind

I have a friend who had good luck watering the milk down little by little until it was just not something they wanted on their own. It’s hard, but you’ll get through it!

2 Likes

Cut the nipples and say the bottle broke. Throw out all other bottles and she’ll cry but she’ll get over it :slightly_smiling_face:

My son is Almost 2 and can’t shed the milk bottle either. It’s not even like he’s hungry- it’s more like a comfort thing. I’ve tried water in the bottle and he just gives the bottle back wanting the milk. So now I water down the milk. I hate it though- I don’t want to ruin his teeth

My son was paw patrol fairy I got the net from the dollar tree.

You can try different sippy cups another option is to slowly water the milk down till she’s getting water. I never could let my children cry it out. They may have been older when they finally slept through the night but she’ll eventually get to that point.

My daughter refused bottles and regular sippy cups. She used a straw cup from around 6 months. Maybe take her to the store and allow her to pick a cup or stuffed animal to take to bed. Also, I swear by white noise machines. I actually came upon the concept when we bought a puppy who had bad separation anxiety lol. I’ve since had 3 babies and all fall asleep within 15 minutes of turning white noise on.

1 Like

My sons both still drank bottles at night at 2 not all night but before bed to fall asleep. Neither had rotting teeth or cavities. Get her used to using a sippy during the day and she will wean off of it soon.

1 Like

Only put water in it. She gets the bottle, just not filled with what she wants. She should lose interest.

1 Like

I have 4 kids… on their 1st bday bottles went in the trash… they got over it

3 Likes

She’s going to keep manipulating you until y’all set your feet down. She can’t have what she doesn’t have.

So does mine …and?

2 Likes

I would just put water in a sippy cup (they’re supposed to be off of bottles by the time they are one) with water in it and let her cry it out :woman_shrugging:t2:. She’ll eventually cry herself to sleep and if she’s actually thirsty she’ll eventually drink the water. I don’t believe in letting babies cry it out, but a 2 year old can communicate so she’s old enough to cry it out. Sounds like she’s just use to you giving in and giving her what she wants.

3 Likes

Try water in bottle it made ours less waking n few days no bottle ?

Throw all bottles away or have the child do it. Don’t cave no matter what. The first week is the worst. Once the week passes you will be okay. Don’t mention anything about bottles to avoid regression and tantrums. Good luck

My daughter had a bottle at night till 14months old I went to give it to her one day and she said she didn’t want it and hasn’t had one since she has slept thru since 6 weeks old (now 4) my son is 18months and still has one for his day nap and one before bed at night but he also sleeps thru now

My daughter was 2 also when my second child came. They were both on bottles. The first time she grabbed her brothers bottle which was added rice formula she just about gagged and never touched it again because she thought all of the bottles we yucky baby bottles. Give her something that isn’t enjoyable but still is milk. Skim or watered down so she doesn’t like it. Eventually she will just say yucky and give it up. Have strength mama, you got this!

3 Likes

Well I would say just don’t. Fix it for her she can’t fix her self can she she will cry but I really think she would stop after a while

Stop cold turkey… she may be upset for a few days but will then get over it

1 Like

I had this exact problem with my extremely picky daughter who FINALLY was able to kick the bottle 3 mo. after she turned 2. We tried so many different sippy cups of all shapes, sizes, colors, and lids, but she wasn’t having any of it. My sister’s kids did well with 10 oz NUK sippy cups, so I bought my girl a Minnie Mouse one from Amazon, and when she asked for her “baba” I gave her that cup and called it her “Minnie baba” She never cried for her bottle after that. I give her a few oz. of milk in her “Minnie baba” before bed, then brush her teeth, and she’s usually fine all night. I felt hopeless before the “Minnie baba” worked, and now that’s all she asks for when she wants milk. She’s down to 1 sippy of milk during the day and one before bed. Don’t give up! There’s a sippy cup out there for your little one!

1 Like

We let my daughter pick out her own sippy cup and shes 2.5 now and we are slowly weaning her off the sippy at night… we are doing the water with a little sugar free flavoring (like crystal light) but watered down or the Gatorade zero watered down and some nights are better then others but we are just brushing out teeth alot morning after daycare before bed time anytime we can

1 Like

My son was the same until we went on holiday and 'forgot ’ his bottle. He never kicked off I just accepted it possibly because we weren’t at home. Once we got home he didn’t even mention it and hasn’t had a bottle of milk since. He was 3 x

Toss the bottles, give only water at night or nothing. They got all day to eat and drink. Make sure the toddler had time to run off extra energy during the day and skip afternoon naps.

switch it to water only in bottles

1 Like

Put a large whole in the nipple it broke my kids

I am sorry for you. Some kids are very hard to break. my daughter did it right with her child and took the bottle away at like a year it was gone and she was using sippy cups from the time she was like 4 months old. She was smart and lucky! my oldest daughter who’s 20 now had a bottle until she was almost four would not give it up she was so stubborn! You just have to take it away explain that she’s a big girl. And somehow deal with the set that she’s going to throw. It will only last a few days. And although it will be frustrating for both of you you will make it through. And although you’ll remember very vividly this time in her life, she won’t remember for very long. Maybe a special sippy cup that she picks out at the store. A really cute one that can be her new special cup.

Start moving it up/earlier then get rid of it.

Mine wanted to do big lid stuff like play with a tablet I told him if he’s a big boy and don’t take the bottle he can play with it the next day. If he took the bottle I didn’t let him have the tablet. He finally decided he wanted the tablet more and gave up the bottle. It’s hard but it’s being consistent and they will learn who this boss is
If they know they can cry until they are sick and you will give in. That’s exactly what they will do.

omg i just wanted to let you know that my daughter is the SAME way still and her 2nd birthday was in december as well! it’s exhausting, i don’t know what to do either…

Oh my God, First not milk, water. Put less and less water every nite. Then take it away. Let her fuss and cry it will stop when she realizes shes not getting any more.

1 Like

My youngest was like this. He was late getting rid of everything. And we just had him drink before bed, instead of letting him take it to bed.

Soo I did this with my now 2 year old maybe 6 months ago. I had to because she was pushing the nipple into the bottle and getting milk everywhere :expressionless: honestly I tried alot of different cups. And made it so she only had cups during the day for a few days than I put milk in her cuppy. Unfortunately she still gets milk in her cup at night… I’m having trouble breaking her of that.

but… she did throw fits, throw it. Ect. I’d just go back in lay her down and give her the cup everytime. Maybe day 3?? She stopped and accepted it. I hope this helps. If you start something just make sure to stay strong and not give in!

2 Likes

Maybe try just having water in it if you are still using formula. Also, maybe leave it in the crib with them so they can manage on their own.

She is only waking up out of habit. Stop giving her milk at night and try warm water, then lower the oz you give her to the point she realizes waking up for minimal amounts of warm water sucks. This is what I’m trying with my 16month old currently. Best if luck.

1 Like

My almost 3 year old is still stuck on the bottle (for bedtime at night only) he doesn’t really wake up at night anymore to ask for more but to fall asleep I don’t know how to get him off of it either !

Hate to be that mom but throw them all away. It will be rough for about a week then she won’t even know they are gone.

5 Likes

Start diluting the milk in the bottle every few days put more water in it than milk. That is what our pediatrician suggested and it worked. Eventually she stopped waking up for water. Good luck

1 Like

I had my girls put their bottles in their stockings on Christmas Eve and Santa came and got them and gave them to a sad baby who really needed it more and left them a special gift for being such a big girl. They were content thinking they were helping sad babies. With Easter coming up soon you could try the same thing only with the Easter Bunny instead of Santa. As for sleeping better make sure your little one is not taking too long of a nap or too many naps during the day and nothing that contains sugar close to bedtime, like at least 2-3 hours before bedtime.

7 Likes

Melatonin is natural nothing wrong with using it every night. As far as the bottles. Toss them.

3 Likes

My daughter was diagnosed with a dairy intolerance at almost 2 and we had no choice but to just take her bottle off her and ride it out until she was over wanting it. She was drinking out of sippy cups which helped but she still wanted her milk bottles for a little while. She got over it pretty quickly tho.

I would cut the milk at night. It’s not good for her teeth. Switch her to water. You might try telling her something to the effect that she is a big girl now and a baby needs the bottles. She could help bag them up and take them to a donation place. Might or might not work. I did that with my oldest.

1 Like

Throw the bottles out …hard to hear but let her cry it out also to stop her from waking up no liquids an hour before bed she will figure out how to self sooth …also melatonin is a natural substance that is already in your brain adding more by pill form only helps the body to get into r.e.m cycle it literally can cause no harm what so ever to your child or you if you want to take it …it is a natural sleep aide

Cold turkey. I threw my daughter bottles away and she just had to deal with sippy cups she cried but she got over it🤷‍♀️

Never let a child be dependent of a bottle. I never let them lay down with a bottle, I had them sit in their pumpkin seat. They were not allowed to run around the house with a bottle. Never put them to bed with a bottle. My sister in law was having a difficult pregnancy so I took her 4 yearold son home with me until she gave birth. He was still drinking a bottle and in pampers. He would not eat any food all he wanted was his bottle. So l put about 4 oz’s of salt and water in his bottle. When he asked for his bottle I handed it to him, he threw it away after one swig. I didn’t have to take it away he threw it away.

2 Likes

Read Baby wise and Toddler Wise

Stop giving in. At 2 that’s entirely too old for a bottle.

2 Likes

Stop it cold turkey. The first few nights will suck, but when she realizes you won’t give in, she’ll eventually give it up.