My 2-year-old will not eat meat: Advice?

Not eating meat is one thing, eating nothing but pouches is another. Despite it being organic and fruits and veggies, it’s a lot of natural sugar. If he’s waking up in the middle of the night, it’s clearly an issue! What is the pediatrician saying? Are there any concerns of autism that could be the reason for this “only eating pouches”. Like a texture issue? At 2, I’d really put my foot down. Pick a weekend and just be out of pouches. :woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

a wide variety of dark leafy iron rich greens and beans and legumes for iron and protein.
Does he like eggs? Tofu?There’s plenty to substitute meat but I think the issue here is the pouch… get rid of them…it’s not a healthy habit to form. Maybe use them as a treat only. Eg…eat a bite of everything and get a pouch…But he has to be encouraged to eat a wide variety of colours and textures to be healthy …try and make it fun.
There will be meltdowns but 15pouches a day is not cool. It’s all processed…
Good luck :v:

1 Like

I would be worried about how much sugar is in those pouches.

I’d probs be more worried he’s not eating textures either, maybe a pediatric dietician can help with ideas to help encourage him to explore his food… Ask at docs for a referral… Good luck, I have a full range of fussy eaters I understand your frustration :blush:

1 Like

Stop buying them and give him a couple of hours or day he will be hungry enough to eat something else or even real food. He’s only 2. Don’t make it a behavior. Tough love

8 Likes

When ppl ask what you feed him tell them the hulk is his daddy…my family was big & I think that’s a rude question…

1 Like

Does he really only eat pouches… omg that is NOT healthy for a 2 yr old

2 Likes

I’m not sure if he’s into the specific pouch package, I know you said he’s very specific about the packaging. But you can always make it yourself, and order these to put it in. They’re awesome.
https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Modern-Reusable-Pouches-10-Pack/dp/B07NVXSBRD/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=reusable+baby+food+pouch&qid=1574980593&sprefix=resuavle+bab&sr=8-3

Our son wont touch meat, and loves fruits, and veggies. We’ve never pushed him to eat meat, and sub for beans. Now that he’s 11 he’s starting to SLOWLY try new food.

1 Like

I bought a “pouch” for my granddaughter once and it smelled like mold. Cut it open and sure enough, mold! Won’t touch those things with a 10 foot pole!!!

2 Likes

For the longest time my kid would only eat green bean and corn pouches and milk he would refuse other stuff iy will get better just slowly introduce stuff

Open the pouches carefully and once empty fill them with your own food so he sees you get it out.If he creates take it away but don’t offer an alternative he may create but let him .give it a while and offer the food again.Do not give food in the night this is habit not need.you wouldn’t expect to give a milk night feed to a two year old would you.?If he refuses to eat its let him hes a big boy as you say it wont hurt.Good luck.

1 Like

My daughter is picky about meats too, but she loves rice. What I’ve done is experimenting with other ways to get protein, like a vegetarian. She loves cottage cheese, strawberries, and chia seeds. I eat it as a snack and she wanted to try it once. I also do yogurt with fruits and sliced almonds in it. For her I’ll cut the almonds small just to be safe about the different consistencies. Maybe he just has a sweet tooth? I know my daughter does.

He doesn’t have to eat meat. Iv seen lots of posts about this on other parenting groups. It might just be a natural dislike to eating flesh. I would concentrate more on trying to ensure he has a well balanced diet and that he is getting all his vitamins and minerals from other foods taking into consideration fat content ect.

1 Like

All sugar. Make your own. You can buy pouches on Amazon

Maybe add a protein smoothie to his diet. I don’t think there is anything wrong with him not wanting meat. Does he eat cut up fruits and veggies along with cooked veggies or is he only eating the pouches? Vegans and Vegetarians are pretty healthy. My daughter ate meat when she was younger but at about 12yrs she went vegetarian and hasn’t had meat since, she just turned 15. I’m extremely proud of her and wish I had her dedication to a healthy diet but I’ve been a picky eater my whole life lol. My family loves the following protein smoothie mix, it’s how I get my veggies lol. We add ground chia & flax seeds, yogurt, and 3/4 cup of frozen fruit along with V8 V-Fusion 100% juice or just a little water.

https://shop.sixstarpro.com/products/plant-based-protein-smoothie.html

1 Like

Stop giving them to him. Immediatelyz

DONT WORRY!! I found ‘picnic’ plates work well! my littlun was the same! Was a texture thing, I offer him little bits on a plate and occasionally there will be a little bites taken out of the meat and he now eats a lot more meat than what he used to (ham, chicken, sausages, fish fingers) he is 3 in April - totally with you when it sounds like the opposite of a problem, but Oscar is 95th percentile and nothing wrong with him! You got this mama - maybe swap pouches for the real thing though, lots of sugar in those xx

1 Like

Stop buying and feeding him the pouches. If he needs 15 un a day, they are obviously not enough to satiate him- he needs real food. Offer him the foods he likes in their real versions in bite size pieces. If he refuses, take it away until he asks again, put the plate back in front of him. He may skip a few meals, maybe a day or two, and then he will eat. Make sure he has fluids, and offer the food, but dont give in. He is the child, he will eat what you provide, and he has out grown the pouches, so now he will learn to eat adult food. Tough love for his own well-being!

8 Likes

Why am I following this? I’m not a mom :joy:

6 Likes

There are alternative ways to get protein like peanut Butter

1 Like

Why is a 2 year old still on pouches? :woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

I hope you find a solution my mom went thru something similar with my brother except he wouldnh eat anything for days and the pediatrician said it’s ok the boy will eat when he is hungry dont worry about it

Lots of veggies have protein. I think that if he absolutely will not eat meat the first thing is to pull the bandaid. Unless he has a sensory disorder, he will not starve himself and eventually eat something else. Then I would start trying different meals that include protein rich veggies, lentils, beans, nuts etc. My kid still really wont eat meat. I can get an occasional chicken nugget in which obviously isn’t the best choice or a few bites of a burger. Shes almost 6. It has been a struggle. She loves vanilla protein shakes so I allow her 1/2 a day. They can only process 19 g of protein so a full 30 g drink would be hard on her system.

They make pouches that you can fill with your own food. I would make a protein smoothie and put it in

1 Like

Unfortunately a lot of the punches have tons of sugar! Fruits themselves have lots of sugar. Sometimes you just have to give you child something to eat and if they dont eat it offer it to them later. When they get hungry enough they WILL eat. You can help this buy showing the child you eat it to. I’m not saying starve your child in any way. At a certain time of the day introduce a new food (real food) not much just like a piece or two and when they say they are hungry remind them that if they finish this one piece of food they can have a pouch or whatever you choose. It’s all about moderation and positive reinforcement. I hope this helps.

1 Like

Leah Swift-Bate our Hux doesn’t do do so bad does he, :+1:t2::blue_heart: any advice for this mum? Xx

My opinion: I wouldn’t let my child strictly eat “fruit/veggie” pouches all day and night on his demand. I have our almost 7 month old on a certain eating schedule. He gets two lil containers of baby food a day, breastfeeding in between and maybe a healthy snack in between. Try letting him feed himself new things. You can try different foods in different ways by making it fun for him or getting foods that look fun to eat that are healthy. For example: the Veggie Straw chips are healthy and a great snack. Let him have the opportunity to explore the touch and taste of different foods.*

No bueno. Some pouches have more sugar than whole fruit and are more likely to sit on your child’s teeth and gums, which can lead to tooth decay. Most pouches hover around 12-15g of sugar. Multiply that by 15 and it’s180-225g of sugar just from pouches. That equals out to be 45-56 teaspoons of sugar. :flushed: Would you let him sit with a spoon and eat that much sugar out of the bag? Always read labels. Drinking food isn’t as satisfying as eating it. Your toddler won’t feel as full after he slurps from a pouch, which can lead to overeating. He doesn’t have to eat meat to be healthy.

2 Likes

Have you tried eggs, nuts, pasta, fish, yogurt?They all contain protein

You’re the parent, just don’t give him pouches anymore.

2 Likes

Can you set limits and just stop feeding him 15 a day? He will eat other foods eventually if he is hungry, just give him small amounts of different things for variety.

We never did pouches, but I did make my own baby food. It would be very easy for you to create more desirable foods for him at home. I would definitely add more fiber and probably supplements if he’s missing out on nutrition.
I would also recommend a complete check up to include sensory processing disorder, (autism if it’s been on your radar) and just general health.
I think it will be a slow process changing his eating, and it may even require feeding therapy, but it may be necessary.
Good luck mama!

Has he problems with his teeth, jaw, gums? Sounds like he can’t/won’t chew and won’t if you continue with pouches… Speak to your health visitor there may be other underlying problems too? you need help from professionals and soon, it could be due to lots of reasons… You are the parent he will eat what you give him but I understand you will worry if he won’t try other things but he does need chewy food to help with speech too… Boys can be lazy n meat requires chewing?? My first thought is speak to your health visitor, there is more to it x

My daughters 2 1/2 and i can hardly ever get her to eat meat.

Stop buying pouches.

4 Likes

Try some nutrainet drinks like pediasure drinks :blush: if he likes chocolate milk he should like them.

My kid isn’t big on meat. I’m ok with that because her iron levels are on point. She isn’t malnourished or under weight. She gets her protein from other food items.

My son was like this except with chocolate almond milk. Eventually I had to just cut the amount of milk I allowed him to have. Slowly take a pouch away a day & provide him with different options each time. He may refuse he may not but eventually he will get hungry and have to try other things. I know it sounds kind of harsh but 15 pouches a day is expensive. My son now doesn’t even touch his milk. Also ensure he doesn’t have a sensory issue that deals with the textures of foods because I thought my son did and if so OT therapy can help accommodate his eating needs through therapy

I would stop purchasing the pouches. Or definitely less pouches and maybe ween him off them? If he doesnt eat pouches he will eventually eat something else. Ask his dr about that? See if that would be acceptable to get him to eat something else. Just try it for a whole day or 2. Nothing drastic. That’s a tough situation, mama.

Pediasure is a good idea :slight_smile:

Not rating meat is normal, and will eventually out grow. And if he doesn’t then you have to plan what he easts to make sure he’s getting everything he needs. BUT GET OFF THE POUCHES! They are (or at least) taste surgery, arnt filling at this age. He eats so much because the body processes it faster. He need solid food, but you might have to take your time as he’s probably not use to it. And his body will have to adjust.

I suggest to make him eat soft veggie (just 2-5 bits) then let him have the pouch. Make the deal with him and don’t give in. Eventually make it more bits. Take it slow like you would a baby.

What ever you plan will be DONT GIVE IN!

Good luck.

Sounds like a the kid never learned to eat… I’d look into food therapy

1 Like

They have yogurt pouches and some that have extra protein in them. Or u could possibly get a unflavored protein powder and empty the pouch,stir and then put back in the pouch. My daughter never ate meat as a toddler. She would always keep it in her cheek and I’d have to scoop it out after the meal was over. Which pocketing her food cause some cavities. I used carnation instant breakfast to help her get everything she wasnt getting from food. Doctor recommended * all kids r different. Also if ur child likes broccoli it has more protein then meat so maybe that would help

If you’d like to make some extra money, easy & legit. Click on the link and subscribe for a fast $25dlls. Follow the steps and cash out after completion. I swear it works! It has for me and I’m cashing out :blush:… If you have any questions feel free to inbox me

https://share.tap2earn.co/Ladomin

Sounds like a sensory thing with food textures. Do fun plates , food in different shapes, Sandwiches with cookie cutters of characters he likes. Try having him try a new food in order to get a pouch. If he takes a bite or two offer
Him his favorite pouch. If it doesn’t work, Perhaps see if you can get him to a food therapist. They help to introduce new foods into his diet :slightly_smiling_face:

My girl doesn’t eat meat so we do lots of cheese and peanut butter!

He will grow out of it… My boys were picky eaters to… The older they got the more they would try… He’s 2… No Worries!

My 3year old is the same way lots of fruit and stuff will eat junk but no meat or potato’s or pasta … it makes dinner time kinda hard

My son at that age only wanted fruits and veggies. Its normal. The child will eventually take to meat again

My son never ate meat either and loved his fruits n veggies at this age too. He’s now 6 and eats meat access but doesn’t really care if he has it or not. Kids go thru phases

I’m in the same boat! Just recently my also 2 year old doesn’t want meat. He’s a good eater so I’m giving beans, spinach, broccoli, peas…etc and he loves cheese and Greek yogurt. I find if I give him meat prior to the rest of his meal he’ll eat some meat first. I know mines just in a phase… a tip: make a stir fry with veggies and rice and add small/shredded pcs of meat… fools my toddler :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: good luck mama!

My sister doesn’t like meat either she will have a cooked dinner but with veg only, she calls herself vegan lmao I think they just don’t want it but its a good thing they’re eating something x

Mine is the same his Dr said leave him be he’s growing no health troubles at all and he’s obviously smart so just leave him. My father use to get so mad at me because I too never ate meat I still don’t care for it. It’s just a thing.

My son refused meat and our physician was not concerned and when he got older… over 8 he finally at a little. He is fine. I don’t understand why a 2 year old eats any baby food though?

my little girl is SUPER picky…has been since she was born ( shes 10 now) she will eat meat but only chicken and turkey and white meat only…she will only eat apples and grapes, she will eat cheese and pickles and believe it or not she will not eat candy or cake but will eat chocolate…i could go on and on lol, BUT as her doctor said “as long as shes eating shes fine” so thats what i go by. ( also like to throw in here she is 10 years old and 5’5 150lbs)

Well I’m vegan and so is my 4.5 year old since conception, and she’s always been above and beyond the growth chart. Maybe he’s a natural vegan/veg kid, I say roll with it and keep him and yourself eating those fruits and veg!
But about the only pouches, you have to work on that and get him more balanced. Kids go through food phases and it can be hard, but we must be patient and keep them trying and eating a balanced diet as best we can.

1 Like

You can find ways for other protein, not just meat. Any type of nut, fish, eggs, chicken, etc… both of my kids will not eat meat. They think its gross. They will eat poultry tho… technically you dont even need red meat.

My grandson’s doctor said that it’s ok if they don’t eat meat yet. Some youngins don’t like the taste. But the baby doctor said mashed potatoes and veggies and fruits are also ways to cover meats. Cause later on they will start liking meats.

It a okay to not eat meat but does he eat fruit and veggies without the pouch? I think if you want him to start it would be a good idea to wean him off the pouches.

I don’t think it matters that your son doesn’t eat meat so much as the amount of pouches he is eating, my aim would be to get him away from pouches and onto actual food, Not because pouches are bad, But he’s not actually eating, He’s just drinking his meals out of bags, And getting no experience with actual eating, chewing etc

1 Like

I wish mine had been that way!
My 18 year old son is the worst and pickiest eater and I catered to him just to get him to EAT!
Hang in there Mom…seems like you’re doing it right to me, kudos!

Yes I do Boca Burgers only soy proteins and Quorn which is a macro protein from fungus so healthy and my girl loves them only downside is that they are frozen food ahh so is ice cream!

I think fruits and veggies are great for kids but if he doesn’t want meat then don’t pressure him. My son is a picky eater so my husband and I eat our food infront of him and so that’s when he asks for the same food as us . Try doing that .

My Littles is crazy picky.
He wld not eat any meat.
I finally got him to start eating chicken nuggets after getting them a little flavoring with watermelon juice.
Now he loves them dipped in apple sauce.
Maybe make some n hv the pouch squeezed in a bowl to dip.
Also get him Enfagrow.
I give my Littles 2 Enfagrow drinks a day to make sure hes getting adequate nutrients.

There are many ways you can give your child protein in other forms like chickpeas etc… Start with that to make sure he’s getting what he needs in his diet, and if it’s important for you he eats meat. Still serve it. Most kids go through phases, but if you continue to give it as an option they will generally eat it eventually.