My 3-month-old has been spitting up a lot: Advice?

they did a mri of him while he drank a bottle thats what they had to do to find out he was spitting up so bad he aspirated on his own spit up

She could be lactose intolerant. Does she have a lot of gas? Are you burping her after feeding her every couple of ounces? I had to change my doctors formula to a lactose intolerant kind. I canā€™t remember the name but you can google it. It was years and years ago for me lol. Spit up is normal but it shouldnā€™t be constantly.

But deff get her switched to alimentum formula

My daughter was a splitter they called her lol , she would spit up all the time she had to wear bibs all day every day ,
There is really nothing to di about it , but alimentum Similac formula and caultral probiotics helped with my daughter very very much and trust me she was a bad spit upper , also do not lay baby on back with spit up issues , u can level crib out at a angle like rase the mattress up (with books, or what ever my doc said) and keep elivated while sleeping and it helps never leave baby laying flat , I tryed the burping and all that nothing worked but the formula n sleeping position and probiotics ,

Sounds like acid reflux to me

1 Like

My cousins baby did the same thingā€¦ found out it was something in the the power formula. He had to drink the premade formula. They thought it was acid reflux at first.

Reflux. ???talk to your doctor. Feed and than prop up for a while after feeding

Try enfimal ar itā€™s helped my daughter. May ask Dr about acid reflux meds that could be an issue

Could try a different formula for sensitive tummies, make sure she burps

if the baby is doing projectile vomiting, go immediately to the doctor. Could be pyloric stenosis. Not trying to scare you or be an alarmist, but went through this with my eldest. We had to do regular feedings on a schedule with a thicker formula and keeping her propped up to slow the stomach emptying.

Make sure youā€™re burping her, also try switching formula. My 3 month old is only formula fed also, and we found with Enfamil she was breaking out on her face and spitting up a lot we switched to Kirkland formula (Costco brand and it helped)

Honestly the best thing you can do at this point is speak with her doctor.
It can be a few things. Some not so serious like acid reflux, a little constipation, or needing a different formula. Or something more serious as others have mentioned.
Between now and getting her into the doctor, try burping her more often during her feeding and keeping her upright for 10-15 minutes after she eats (if its acid reflux these things will help her but wonā€™t harm her at all if thatā€™s not what it is)

1 Like

We saw a baby osteopath and it was amazing what it helped

Maybe over eating? Try lowering the ounces she drinks each feeding and see if that helps. Her tummy may also be sensitive to the formula you are giving her she might be lactose intolerant.

1 Like

Maybe she has acid reflux talk to her pediatrician. My daughter spit up real bad until we switched to Enfamil AR and now she rarely ever spits up

Reflux. Eating too much. Iā€™d start by taking breaks during feedings. My son has reflux and we have to take breaks and have him propped up for 30 mins after eating

Burp every 2 ounces, keep propped up after feeding for a minimal 30 minutes. Spitting up usually peaks between 2 months and 4 months of age. If it doesnt get better after burping often and propping up after feedings, consult your doctor for possible reflux. My oldest projectile vomited starting at 1 month of age and by 2 months of age we were putting a small amount of rice cereal in her bottles to help weigh down the formula, per her pediatrician.

1 Like

Have you thought about talking about it to your pediatrician, instead of random people on the internet

1 Like

Burp her more often. do half feeds then burp her. Wait longer in between feeds also. My son did that. If it doesnā€™t work try changing formula

Try Enfamil AR formula. Really helped my son

Change the formula until you find one that does not upset her tummy

My first son spit up alot like crazy every bottle the Dr switch him to soy in he quit we was lactose tolerance

She might have acid reflux or gerdā€¦ try 1 tsp of rice baby cereal in her bottleā€¦might have to enlarge hole a teensy bit, to get cereal throughā€¦go small n check after each enlargementā€¦I used a hot sewing needle to enlarge mineā€¦heat needle stick in nipple go around holeā€¦check with formula n cereal in bottle

1 Like

Take her to the doctor her forar may need to be changedā€¦

It could be various things.

My boyā€™s did that when they were on just formula. It was indicated that they were allergic to it. My youngest son, I put him on goatā€™s milk. I found a formula for goats milk. He did great after that.

She may have a milk allergy.

1 Like

We switched to concentrated formula instead of using powder and it help a lot

Similac Spit Up ( reduces spit it by 47% I think ) and Culturelle Probiotic mixed in with the bedtime feeding. Sleeps like a baby should.

My grandson did the same thing
After several months at doctors office and trying everything we took him to St Louis hospital and figured out he could not handle the powder formula he had to have the pre made formula
After that he was great

My son did the sameā€¦ The older he got and the bigger her gotā€¦ And could burp some on his own we forgot tk remember to burp him(will be honest) and would do the sameā€¦ He wouls chug quickly too on a bottleā€¦ We had to go back to the newborn stage where you buro every 2oz just to make sure he didnt spit upā€¦ Not burping properly, over eating and sleep eatingā€¦ Can make it happenā€¦ Aswell as acid reflux

I would suggest every 2 oz sit up and burp have a few mins to settle I had this problem with my son so it was 1-2 oz at a time and burping hope this helps your lil one

My son had to be switched to sit formulašŸ˜ might be worth a try

My son is on Enfamil AR and it works great! Dr. Approves too. Helped my little guy a lot.

Might need a swallow study to see if they need thicknor

Mine did too, until I switched to MAM bottles. Had no idea it could be the type of nipple/bottles.