My 3 year old has an enlarged kidney and needs surgery: Advice?

My son is three years old and has an enlarged kidney since I was pregnant with him, and today I found out it’s blocked. I’m freaking out about him having surgery; they think they can put in a stent but still figuring out the best thing to do for him. Has anyone gone through this?

39 Likes

My middle son was born with congenital glaucoma, he has shunts in both eyes, several surgeries and three eye drops. Do what needs to be done. You’re his momma for a reason, you got this.

Pray for the answer to come to you honey is all I can say! So sorry and I’m praying for you and your kid’s!

My son was born with one kidney at 88 or at 12. I did not know this til he got hit by a car when he was 16 he is now 34 he played in football before we found all this out and he is doing great. The doctor told us as the good doesn’t suffer trauma he should be ok . HE didn’t know what cause it. Thank God he ok

My little brother had this… when my mom was pregnant with him. He had surgery when he was really little tho

Mine did. Was found in utero, turned out to be a cyst in his ureter causing reflux.
He was home the same day after operation. He was 9 months.

Does he have hydronephrosis? Did they do any testing after he was born?

This probably isn’t helpful but I’m going through this while pregnant right now, but my uterus is pressing on my kidney so I’m the one with the hydronephrosis and may have to have the stent put in :sob: hoping baby doesn’t feel any of my pain

I went through this while I was pregnant with my daughter. The surgery isn’t painful. They put you to sleep, place the Stent and clear the blockage. It’s minorly uncomfortable for the first few hours but no real pain. The big thing is is you have to make sure that he’s drinking lots of water, juice to clear out any residual blockage that may be in the kidney.

I had kidney surgery in 2006 for an enlarged kidney I was born with but didn’t have any issues until I was 16. It was called a pyloplasty surgery (spelling is probably incorrect) I also had many many kidney stones that the kidney didn’t pass that they took out and they put a stent in! 17 years later I beat the odds was told I would be on dialysis by the time I was 30 and here I am don’t really ever have any problems with it anymore!

2 Likes

My 4 year old had to have his kidney removed as he had a cancerous “bump.” Kids heal so fast it’s truly amazing. The hardest part was watching him in pain after the surgery but it’s short lived and the nurses we had were amazing. Our surgeon said “the kids do as well as the parents.” We kept all of our tears for when he was not around or sleeping. He had some anxiety when we had to get him out of bed because it hurt. Once we tried some anxiety medicine it was fine and he never needed it again. We had the best nurses, nursing assistants, oncologists and surgeon it made an amazing impact on him and us.

1 Like

My son’s kidney ruptured when he was a teenager because they didn’t find the problem when he was a baby. My advice is do the surgery and fix the problem now because it can get bad fast.

My husband have 5 in his heart he live20 more years with them stent we well pray for him.

Sending strong healing prayers :pray:

My son was sick regularly for a year. I would take him to the doctors or ER every month with stomach pain. They would X-ray him & say he was “backed up” give me some medicine & send us home. Finally almost a year to the day when symptoms started. I took him to the ER & explained what was going on. I told the doctor please don’t just do an X-ray. Something is really wrong with him. She checked his medical records & agreed to CT scan him. She found an enlarged kidney & we were moved to a children’s hospital. While there they found he had a blockage. They did surgery to place a stent in. He was there for 3-4 days sent home & a month later went in for outpatient surgery to remove stent. He had follow appointments every 3 months for a year & 1/2. He healed completely. He was 8-9 years old when this all happened. He’s now 19 & has had no further problems. He played soccer, football, basketball & baseball while growing up. Never has had any issues. It’s a scary situation having your child be sick & have to have surgery’s. Be strong! Everything your feeling is so normal. I asked a lot of questions & the doctor walked me through everything. I’m so grateful children’s hospital. They’re amazing!!

5 Likes

Wow, I’m so sorry. It’s always good to get two doctors to concur when the condition is serious. Prayer for you and your son.

1 Like

Get the absolute best doctor in the absolute best hospital and then trust them.

1 Like

I had a blocked kidney i was much older. I had to have surgery also, I keep getting uti and fever and really high heart rate… prayers for your little guy

My son had surgery for a blocked kidney Sept 2019, he was four. It was done laparascopicly. He stayed a couple nights at the hospital, and had a stint for 7 weeks. The stint removal was an outpatient procedure, in and out in the same day. He had follow up appointments every three months, his last appointment was last July, now we have a year between follow-ups. I was very scared and a wreck, but he is perfectly fine and healthy now.

6 Likes

My son went through this, they also detect it when I was pregnant with him. He had surgery and everything came out good. He had a stent put in because his kidney was not draining all the fluid so his kidney was way bigger than the other. I’m wondering why they are just now thinking about surgery if they saw this since the pregnancy, my son is now 3 and he had surgery when he was 7 months old. The doctor had to actually cut around the kidney to make it smaller, imagine if you have a balloon and it is blown up to the max and then you deflate it that is what his kidney looked like after the surgery the doctor said my son had like the quantity of a whole can of soda of fluid in his kidney, that is alot for a 7 month old baby. Trust in God and the doctors your baby needs the surgery and he will be ok :pray::heart:

3 Likes

Don’t have experience with this exactly. However my son was born with a cleft lip and has had 5 surgeries so far. When he was a baby I was super worried about the anastisia but he’s done really well with all 5. You will never not worry I still get worried about surgery and he’s 6.

My daughter was born with Hydronephrosis and was on antibiotics to prevent UTI until the age of 3 at which time she had a partial nephrectomy of her right kidney. Recovery was relatively easy and smooth. She is almost 19 now and has never been back to a Urologist :blush:

1 Like

I am part of this group it’s called Parents of kidney kids (has a green ribbon) as default many parents there and they can give you some advice. Will keep you and your baby in my prayers

3 Likes

Put you trust in God He will lead you to just the right doctor and treatment. Doctors are blessed by God and God will lead them to do His work

3 Likes

My 5 month is currently dealing with both kidneys showing dilation in them, and the drs are doing the wait and see method right now. I feel your anxiety and concern over this. Hope everything goes well!

1 Like

Get to the right dr. Dr papas Weill Cornell. The best.

Trust the doctors or you might loose him.

I’ve been there 2x myself…first time was a disaster…but I survived…second time was very easy…the first time I had to have something called a nephrotomy…ended up septic. Second time was a stent and they just plucked it out…just a few weeks ago…don’t be àfraid…it’s a common procedure…positive energy coming to you…

You are living my nightmare. My last baby had an enlarged kidney found during ultrasound. Still like that after birth. Luckily, after several months, it eventually went down. Still had to have him circumcised at 13 months due to kidney infections. While i have no advise, you have my prayers.

God bless you all :heart::pray:

Yes ive had a stent a j stent

Prayers and lots of hugs

I am not sure where you are. If you are in the region, consider Dr. Razzouk. https://cookchildrens.org/doctors/team/randa-razzouk

Do not ask anyone for advice and trust your doctors!
People are sarcastic and give you stupid advice!
Make sure you have a good team for your baby and pray for their steady hands!
I almost lost my daughter when she was a young adult , minimal change disease, trip to the ICU , 4 week stay , now totally healed !
By the grace off god!!
Don’t loose your faith , :pray:t2:good luck with your baby!

I didn’t have this with my child but at 2 months old my youngest was diagnosed with hip dysplasia. At 5 months she had surgery on her left hip. I understand how hard it is to have your child have to have surgery at such a young age. He will be ok. It’s hard for mamma most of all. But he has to have it then get it done. Good luck

I have not, and idk if u are religious or not but know i will keep your baby in my prayers :pray:t3: god bless your family

My grandson has this he’s 5 months surgery was needed they actually put him under and go through the penis and cut out blockage he just had this done for the second time yesterday

Talk with the social worker of the nephrology department, she can offer better supports from groups and connecting you with other local families than asking Dear Moms on FB. Healing and healthy vibes for your son

Theres a program called early intervention that helps people who have kids with issues like this that also has a support group they maybe able to help you with finding someone who went through something similar

My son was born with enlarged kidneys and hearts and had to go to routine echocardiograms and ultrasounds like every 2weeks to keep an eye on it but eventually they said it went away on it own, and now I’m second guess I should get him checked out just in case

My son is 17 and has had 9 surgeries. I can’t tell you not to be scared or worried. You are a mom and it normal to have those feelings. What I can tell you is put faith in the doctors doing his surgery. I hope you have a good support system.

Do it now while he is young. No one caught mine and I was sick my entire life. Until I was 21 and I finally got close enough to death that they figured out I had a blockage but it was too late to save my kidney.

Sending many prayers and big hugs

Make sure it is done at a children’s hospital

My son had this they had on antobotics since birth it resolve itself. Have try antobtics