My 3-year-old is scared to sit on the potty....advice?

Has anyone’s 3 year old scared to sit on the potty? I have the portable one and the one that goes on the big toilet, but she won’t use none of them

6 Likes

It’s really normal (if you haven’t caught on from the comments lol); it’s a really scary concept for kids, and you just let them take the lead. They’ll usually come to you when ready. I have a 3 year old currently, and he’s nowhere near ready to use the potty and sobs if you so much as mention the idea. My 13 year old was the same way, one day he just decided to go and that was that, he was fully potty trained before he turned 4 and hardly ever had accidents after he was. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My daughter could careless about potty training. It’s definitely my hardest child out of my four.

I found my niece at small pink potty chair that actually makes flushing sound and the tank on it holds wipes.

My middle was like that. Acted absolutely terrified to use the potty. Then one day she was like “I go potty now” and she went just fine on her potty, and that was it for training lol.

My kids loved this one. But I’m not above bribery. We used m&ms😅

My daughter was afraid to use the potty bc she thought she would fall in and get lost lol after assuring her she wouldn’t she started to slowly get use to it. Have u asked her why she might be afraid?

My 3 year old is the exact same way

Following. In same boat with both my girls (almost 6 and 4 1/2 )

Get a taller one from ikea

My 3 year old son is the same way. He will stand up and use the potty but he refuses to sit down and poop. I’m at a loss as what to do. I’ve tried everything.

It’s totally normal. would stop potty training and regroup in a few weeks.

My grandchild loves the big potty and won’t use his potty but he says hey Nan I falled in help me.

Not all 3 yr olds are ready to potty train,don’t stress it,it’ll happen ,if your frustrated she feels it,when their system is ready it’ll happen,just enjoy your child

Offer her incentives like for my daughter, nothing was working. Her knowing she was about to start a pre-k (school), and myself reminding her daily that school wasn’t for babies…she was so excited to start school.she literally was potty trained overnight. Good luck💚

2 Likes

In the same boat. We’re currently bribing her with mini Reese’s peanut butter cups every time she goes. We’re ok with #1, but 2 is a nope. I’m ready to pull my hair out

1 Like

Sit backwards facing the tank, put coloring book or something on tank. Make it play time

I believe that was almost every person’s child during this stage. Just wait til they refuse to crap for three days. Lol

I took my daughter with me and everytime I went potty she sat on hers. Didn’t have to go but she sat on it to start. We sat her dolls on it as well. Lol :joy: eventually she wants to potty like mama did and we started with her own. And eventually she worked up to a little seat on the big toilet so she didn’t fall in(again, she was feelin brave ONCE and didn’t tell me she was going and got stuck and set us back a few days). We got a potty book to read while she sat on the potty. Now at almost 5 she goes alone and only yells if she needs help wiping after a poop(every so often) or she’s out of toilet paper lol :joy: you’ll get there just hang in there.

Sticker charts worked for us. They used them at her daycare/preK also and family members had stickers and a chart as well so the consistency helped ALOT

My son 3 1/2 masted the no 1 toilet no2 he says must go to his pullup pants

Buy her her own little potty. Take her when you go and talk to her about using it. I got a calendar and some star stickers and let my grandaughter put one on everytime she used it. She loved doing that.