My 3-year-old keeps food in his mouth: Advice?

My three year old has recently started a habit of chewing his last bite of food before nap indefinitely and keeping it in his cheek. He refused to swallow it, but I will not put him down to sleep with it in there because of I. Afraid of a choking hazard. He will say he wants to spit it out or doesn’t like it anymore, even if it is what he enjoyed eating the entire meal. I don’t want to encourage him spitting it out either, just want him to swallow like a normal person. I have tried giving him a little water, explaining it to him, taking away privileges if he doesn’t (like no story before bed or no toy), and nothing works. I am so fried. Help?

7 Likes

My two year old has just started doing this, and it drives me CRAZY. But with her, she wants to continue to eat while she has that bite and ends up making herself gag…she’s driving me crazy. I, unfortunately, have no advice, but I’m following along to see what everyone says.

My son ( age 4 ) been doing it since 2 and it’s a sensory thing in his case. If he wants to spit it out let him spit it out.

3 Likes

Start him brushing his teeth before going to bed.

1 Like

My daughter’s used to do that I let them spit last bite out

My nephew went through the same thing. Kept food in his cheek like a little chipmunk.
The only thing that worked was keeping a close eye on him and making sure he swallowed it before leaving the table, or playing, or leaving the car, etc.
We had to, many times, pretend to chew and swallow so he would follow and do the same with what was left over in his mouth.
It took a few months, but even after (now about 3 years later) he still does it from time to time

1 Like

Taking away privileges?? that’s kind of extreme for something like this … it might me a sore throat or just a habit that will pass within time …my son did it for about two weeks it’s called hamster cheeks .

4 Likes

Explain to him that by doing that your teeth can rot, that’s the real truth

Could show him a picture of a rotten tooth

This may be a stupid suggestion, but have you tried giving him less food? Maybe thst last bit is just too much for him to finish.

4 Likes

One of my son’s did this. He was full and couldn’t swallow it. Don’t punish him or force him to swallow it. It just doesn’t want to go down. Let him spit it out. It eventually stopped.

7 Likes

I used to do that as a kid, particularly with meat. For me, I wasn’t allowed up from the table until my last bite was gone but I didn’t always want to finish my food, so I’d pocket it in the corner of my cheek. I hated eating meat as a kid so this was my best option. Allow your child to spit it out. Sometimes they’re just done eating and don’t know how to express that. If they look like they have had enough, announce “last bite” and make the last bite they take to be the last bite, even if they still have more on the plate. It’s better to teach them to respect their limits than to get upset over a couple of final bites.

2 Likes

Ok, I used to do this. I don’t know why or at what age but it was young. Let him spit it out. I can’t eat the last bite on my plate even now. I am over 60 years old. I can’t drink a full glass of anything with my meals either. I know we were forced to eat everything on our plates because we were poor. Even being beat black and blue wouldn’t work. I am normal in every other way. So just let them be and let them spit it into the trash nefore the brush their teeth. Less stress on you and them. Thats all I got for you.

6 Likes

Let him spit it out. It’s the last bite.

1 Like

My 1st cousin did this the dentist explained to him he would loose teeth if he kept it up. Worked like a charm

He is a baby may be he is full his little belly is only as big as his fist little

Hes probably full! Just have him spit it out if he wants too as long as he has eaten. No big deal.

My daughter did this for awhile… She’d take a bit of something & just hold it in her mouth for however long. It can worrisome because what if she chokes?
But hes doing it with his last bite & he wants to spit it out… Let him spit him out??? Don’t force him to eat it if hes full & doesn’t want it.

1 Like

Let him spit it out. And don’t make him eat the whole plate if he is done before that. The child should be allowed to decide how much they eat; they won’t starve themselves, and there is no need to make a separate meal for them. But don’t make them eat more than they want.

Start brushing his teeth right after eating. Cant brush with food still in there…

3 Likes

my kid does this, one time we went to ihop and he was eating bacon and when we got home and I gave him some juice he spit it out and I was like “what were you doing saving it for later :neutral_face:” and sometimes he will spit food out when I give him his sippy, like he thinks I’ll take the sippy if he doesn’t take it right at that second lol, I think it’s just a phase.

1 Like

Swipe his mouth before bed time i dont see why not?

Also he could be pocketing because of ties?

Omg please let him spit it out! Who wants to swallow something that’s been sucked of all it’s flavor? He doesn’t need to be punished for this😲

U could always make him spit it out

1 Like

A little girl I babysat for used to do that. She eventually stopped doing it. We didn’t make a big deal of it but we had her spit it out before naps/bedtime.

Maybe he’s figured out you will keep him up. Put him to sleep dig out of his mouth. It’s a nasty habit but manipulating and it’s working so. Reroute his nonsense.

Ummm, mom. He knows he won’t take a nap if he doesn’t swallow his last bite of food. Kinda an easy one for me to get :woman_facepalming::woman_shrugging::joy::thinking: If nap time follows meal time, and he isn’t finished eating, then no nap, right? Read what you posted again…

Give him yogurt as his last few mouthfuls

Nap time right after eating is also a choking hazzard… If they burp while they sleep food could also come back up and get stuck. Let him stay up for 15-30 minutes after eating. And also stop him eating a few bites before you think he is done he might be getting over full and cheeking it. Ask him if hes full before he finishes. I know my daughter will cheek it if she has eaten to much but didnt know when to stop. Just let him spit it out.

Let him spit it out. Let him know if he’s full its ok to stop eating instead.

Just out of curiosity though could it be some sort of sensory issue? Like sensory seeking?

Never take away reading times there’s plenty of things to take away other than something that will help him be a proficient reader later

Brush his teeth before laying his down for naps or at night.

I do this as an adult I won’t eat the last bites they churn my stomach for unknown reasons. He may just be the same way

My youngest (will be 4 next month) does the same thing. Holds a bite of food in his cheek for a long time after he takes the bite. I don’t think there is a way to stop it, I just keep an eye on him all of the time when eating. Good luck!

Maybe try brushing his teeth before his nap ?

3 Likes

I would encourage to ‘finish’ eating like a “big strong boy”
I dont think punishment is a healthy method for this

1 Like

My 22 mo does this. I have to pry her mouth open to get it out

It could be a stress reliver.

I always spit out my last bite of food as a kid. My almost 3yr old does it sometimes. I just let her spit it in the trash.

1 Like

They will grow out of it. My kids did that too but he is 9 and she’s 29 and they don’t do that anymore. :rofl::rofl:

Let him spit. One bite shouldn’t be forced.

4 Likes

My three year old boy also does this. I explain it’s unsafe and make him chew it or spit it out before leaving the table

1 Like

It’s attention getting act like it not bugging you don’t even watch they feed on all ways to get you upset

My daughter used to do that but she was later diagnosed with acid reflux. She couldn’t swallow it because it burned on the way down. She wasn’t able to talk yet so I had to take her to 3 different doctors. Hopefully that’s not the case with your son but it wouldn’t hurt to check.

Let him spit it out, that’s letting him know he has control over his own body. If it’s the last bite then you don’t have to worry about nutrition or starvation, so why worry about it? He will grow out of it. Kids do weird things…comes with the territory.

1 Like

Kool Aid and it’s a done deal.

My son had done this when he was younger n was n occupational therapy at the time n she gave me a soft stretchy thing that he could attach to his clothes like a pacifer but, he could also chew on but, also I was able to rake the food from his jaws that he kept n there n refused to swallow. Maybe check into getting or asking occupational therapy worked for us hes 10 now but he was also born x5 wks early. It was a lifesaver in keeping the food that he stuffed in his jaws out n a relief when he was napping especially. Best Wishes

Just let the child spit it out he’s only 3 and talk to his Dr also don’t let him keep it in his mouth it is a choking hazard

1 Like

It’s called pocketing and there is multiple reasons kids do this.

Offer him a treat at the end of the meal when his mouth is empty? Like 3 m&ms, or chocolate chips (since he’s 3) conversely, you could offer to let him spit it out. “But no treat then, big guy. Your choice.” Finishing will become habit, and his age in chocolate chips is hardly detrimental to his health. And if he really does prefer to spit it out and forfeit the treat, let him, it’s the last bite.

1 Like

Does he like taking naps? Sound like maybe, and dont start in on me- my baby is 14, but sounds like he is MAYBE delaying naptime?

2 Likes

My daughter started this at 3. I just had to pick and choose my battles. I know encouraging to spit it out isn’t the preferred choice, but, better than choking. I have my daughter spit it into my hand.

Now that u mentioned this… When my son was little he would fall off to sleep and sometimes when he woke up he would still be chewing food from his last meal… I remember pressing his cheek when he was asleep… Then he would chew in his sleep and swallow… Lol…

My son did this at the same age! I would tell him to open up and show me the inside of his mouth, under his tongue and along his gum line. Wasn’t something I had to do for long.

Hes probably a smart little booger akd knows you wont put him down if there is food in his mouth lol. His way of staying up lol.

Or just cut out snacks before nap or bedtime.

My son does this too, the best thing I found that works is to make him sit in the chair until he swallows it :woman_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes
1 Like

Have you ever considered he might be full…? Its one bite. You’re overreacting.

10 Likes

Tell him to spit it out don’t make him swallow it like really one bit so if he chokes because you wanted him to a swallow the one bite let him spit it out

4 Likes

What the f*** is wrong with Mom’s these days no wonder kids choke but I’m spit the s*** out if they don’t want it stop forcing them to eat it

5 Likes

I would just take it out of his mouth probably full but has enjoyed good he’ll soon out grow it and go on to some other habit like children do don’t think it’s worthy of fuss stress

1 Like

It sounds like he’s full. Which is good he’s giving you this indication instead of eating until he throws it back up.

2 Likes

Just let him spit it out. It’s better he does that than go to sleep with it in there, or swallowing something he really doesn’t want.

2 Likes

I had a friend once whose little boy would literally throw up if you forced him to eat more than he wanted. Just sayin’

1 Like

I agree with everyone else, it sounds like he’s just full. Instead of making him swallow the last bite, teach him to say when he no longer wants more food. Then that last bite can stay on the plate instead of becoming an issue.

1 Like

You make him sit at the table until he is done chewing and swallowing. If he isn’t showing any sign of being full he is probably just trying to get out of a nap. He is 3 totally big enough to say my belly is full and not take that bite.

1 Like

Wow some of you guys are rude as fuck. Nobody knows how to give feedback without sounding like a complete asshole or what?

10 Likes

I personally would trick him, make sure he sees food still on the plate, have him chew and swallow the second to the last bite, and then dont give him the final bite. If its 2 macaroni or 1 piece of fruit that you are throwing away at the end, it’s easier than a battle.

I literally did this as a kid, my parents punished it, it made it worse, I actually gag if I try to eat the last bite of anything. I DO NOT EVER EAT THE LAST BITE. Let him spit it out or just not take the last bite. What’s the big deal. Poor kid.

4 Likes

If he’s doing this right before nap time or bed time and he knows you won’t make him go to bed until he swallows he’s probably doing it to try to gain some control. He doesn’t want to go to bed. Make him take a drink and he’ll end up swallowing it. And don’t listen to these other people on here with all these negative comments. Yes it’s one bite. If you don’t want to encourage spitting it out then don’t let him spit it out. I make my kids finish their food. I know how much they’ll eat and like any good mother I don’t give them more than they can handle. Seriously do not let these people make you feel bad for not letting YOUR child spit out food. They raise their kids how they want you raise yours how you want. You asked for advise not criticism.

2 Likes

Have him open his mouth. Grab it out. Done. No need to coddle or be concerned just get it out of his mouth and then night night time.

2 Likes

Try changing nap time and see if he stops doing it. Let him play for 30-45 minutes after you feed him.

1 Like

Let him spit it out!! Dont force him to swallow it that can cause choking . Choose your battles!! A bite of food isn’t worth a fight. He is either full or trying to get out of nap time either way he is winning when you battle over it.

4 Likes

Just have him spit it out. What’s the issue with that? There’s no need whatsoever to have him swallow it if he doesnt want to. That’s how eating issues begin.

3 Likes

Does he do this regardless of how much he’s eaten?

I wouldn’t make it into a game or a big deal. Let him spit it out and keep it moving. You will have plenty of battles to go through with him this one seems a little petty to me. He will eventually learn to be able to tell when he is full before he takes his last bite. Pick and chose your battles.

2 Likes

Making children finish everything on the plate can lead to eating disorders in the future. Maybe try feeding him a smaller portion and see if he asks for more and go from there. Good luck!

4 Likes

I’d have him have like a 30 minute play time between eating and nap time. It sounds like he’s just trying to use it as an excuse to get out of nap time since he knows you won’t let him nap until he swallows it all. If you give him 30 minutes of play time he’ll probably forget about it, swallow it and then you won’t have to worry about it at nap time. I don’t think it’s a “he’s full” thing, because at 3 he’s old enough to say when he’s full, so he probably wouldn’t take that last bite if that was the issue.

3 Likes

Jesus women, do you eat the last bite of your food when you’re overly full? Probably not. Kid is 3, ease up on him. Let him spit it out if he’s done. Be grateful he eats his meal :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I’d tell him that if he doesn’t eat like he is supposed to that I would start giving him a bottle like a baby.

1 Like

Haha my son used to do this. I had no idea at first but eventually I called it ‘pouching’ his food and I’d demand he spit his pouch out. Kids are weird.

2 Likes

Let him trash it.
It’s not worth your sanity.
Give him smaller portions and if he still does it, he’s stalling nap time and ultimately winning cuz you’re going nuts. No reaction is the best reaction.

4 Likes

Ladies you need to relax! This poor mom looked like she’s really lost that’s why she turned to YOU “who knows better” for advise not criticize her :roll_eyes:. Geez! :woman_facepalming:

4 Likes

I always give my kids (4,2 y/o) a little over of what they can eat. Then i ask them if they had enough to eat. If i know they haven’t had enough then I’ll tell them that they can be excused after 10 more bites. Or 5 more bites. They know that there will be no more food after dinner. And nobody brushes their kids teeth before bed?? Brush and floss that shit​:rofl: Problem solved :grin:

2 Likes

Make him something good to drink some juice or something you know he’ll really want to drink and tell him he can’t have it til the bites gone. 9 times out of 10 it works. My son used to do this, we used to be homeless and I think it was a food conserving tactic, were in a much better situation now and he’s overcome so much.

2 Likes

Dont feed before nap.

Do not force him to swallow it!!! My son had food issues and we saw am occupational therapist who specialized in food disorders. She said number one thing is to allow them to spit out food. He probably started eating it before he realized he was full and then ur forcing him to swallow it which the therapist told me was a huge no-no. Like she repeated it every visit and repeated it multiple times. It can cause him to refuse eating or over eat. Good luck.

Ugh my daughter does this! Same age!

If he ate his food and this is all he had left. Let him spit it out. My son is 3 and has decided that he doesn’t like food anymore. Getting him to eat different things instead of just banana’s has become a huge fight with him. Good luck. 3 year olds are a challenge it’s like the year that their personalities really start to shine lol.

1 Like

It’s a toddler quirk. Don’t make a big deal out of it and the habit will work itself out. But if you associate punishment with food then you could have issues later on down the road.

2 Likes

Make his fave milkshake for after dinner. Sounds like a Toddler Thing, don’t buy into it. Good luck, Sweet, you got this…!! X :rose:

Choose your battles. Dont give extra attention to it. Dont stress over something so small. Teach him the proper way to dispose of it. Might be a way to have a little control.

If it is every meal it probably isn’t because he’s too full in my opinion. Probably just something he likes to do in my opinion. I’m an adult and sometimes hold onto a last piece of meat for a couple minutes. I know, weird, but I do. I eventually swallow it because I’m an adults and don’t hold it for very long. But if he’s holding it for quite awhile it’s probably not good anymore and he doesn’t want to swallow it of since he’s been up from the table probably feels that meal time is over and doesn’t want to eat anymore or at that point, his brain has told him he’s too full. I’d let him spit it out and wait for the phase to past. That wouldn’t be worth the battle to me.

My stepdaughter,4 does this all the time with every bite. She’ll sit there for an hour with it in her mouth…ewww. She will swallow it eventually. My son, 1 just started doing it. I just tell him to swallow it & he does.