My 3 year old wakes up my 8 month old when he comes into my room: Advice?

I still co-sleep with my nearly three-year-old. I get him to sleep with me and put him in his own bed when he falls asleep, but he wakes during the night and runs into my bed, usually when I’m asleep. Also, my 8-month-old is a very light sleeper and sometimes wakes 4 5 times and only sleeps properly when he’s lying on me. Im exhausted and feel like the same thing is going to start happening. Any tips?

6 Likes

Teach 3 year old to start sleeping in his own room. He may still get up in the night to come sleep with you but he’s less likely to do so bc he’s waking up in a different place than where he fell asleep. When he wakes up in his room he’s confused and he goes back to you. If he goes to sleep in his own room, he will eventually stay there.

3 Likes

Start making your 3 year old sleep in his room. Put the baby in a crib (it’s not safe to have a baby sleeping on you sorry)

5 Likes

Put the 3yr old In their own bed and the baby in a crib.

3 Likes

Put a gate up at his door so he stays in his room.

1 Like

No more co sleeping with your 3 year old. The reason he is waking up is because he isn’t in the same place he fell asleep. He needs to sleep in his own room by himself. It’s going to 100x harder now cuz he is 3 should have sleep trained at 6 months lld

Try a white noise machine for your light sleeper and my 3rd was a light sleeper with the noise machine in our room. We moved him to his own room at 10 months and he started sleeping 12 hours no wake ups with the noise machine. My 2 year old is a light sleeper but listen to books on cds. They all sleep in their own room

Baby gate the older child’s door. My almost five year old still has one he can’t undo yet and it makes us sleep better knowing he can’t roam the neighborhood or come wake us up.

1 Like

Put the 3 year old in their own room and the baby in a crib.

7 Likes

I have this issue (im 33 weeks pregnant with babe #2) and im worried this is gonna happen in a few weeks when baby arrives. My 3 year old falls asleep in his room and when he wakes up he will go potty and come get in my bed. Im so exhausted from taking him to his bed during the night, sometimes 4 or 5 times. Im just too pregnant to have him in my bed. His dad takes up enough room as it is. Ugh

Never co-slept for that reason. I had a friend with three girls that would do this! If he was sick or scared, he would sleep with me. He has his room for a reason. It’s going to suck, but you have to break 'em in.

3 Likes

Nip it in the butt now or you’ll be stuck with a 5 yr old who still comes to my room in the middle of the night

Gotta get up keep putting the 3yr old back in their bed till fall asleep. Till they learn. Move the baby to their own crib while still young enough.

2 Likes

Get them both used to sleeping in their own beds…

I mean, you’re already exhausted…why not try it for a week or 2 and see if all 3 of you cant get some better sleep. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Be strong mumma! Get your 3 yo sleeping in own room, and 8 month old into a crib, or you’ll never get a good nights sleep. Just keep putting 3 year old back into his/her bed, maybe a gate on door to stop leaving. Potty in room. Maybe a night light, I leave alexa on low for my lil boy as he is calmed by music. Drives me nutty trying to fall asleep, but keeps him asleep which is lovely! Other things to try might be rewarding when stay in own room, like stickers charts, choosing a toy, magazine or sweets (nothing to huge lol or lo be expecting it everytime) lol x

2 Likes

You are going to have to give your three-year-old tough love and teach them how to sleep in their own bed. Also I’m going to point this out learn from your mistakes the first go-around and get your eight-month-old out of your bed and teach them how to sleep in their own crib now so you do not have the same exact problem when they turn 3.

7 Likes

Get them both in there own beds it might take a few nights of tantrums and tears but believe me it took me 7 years to get my boys out my bed no chance I will be doing it again lol

1 Like

All 3 of mine slept in bed with me for about the first 2 years of their life. It is perfectly safe in most situations and common in a lot of other countries. Babies and kids of course sleep better when they feel safe and secure (just as us adults do).
But if you’re ready for something different that’s okay too. I suggest having your 3 year old start falling asleep in his own room. He’s more likely to stay asleep that way. It might be a tough couple days but you’ll appreciate it when you get to sleep better.

2 Likes

Put a stop to co-sleeping, it’s never a good idea to start, as it becomes a battle to stop

8 Likes

I’d stop co sleeping with the both of them. Separate rooms and beds. I’d be way too exhausted for life if I did this.

3 Likes

Stop co-sleeping with both of them. One at a time.

Put a stair gate at his bedroom door and put a monitor in his room no more co sleeping hes too old expecially when there’s a new baba its a bad habit and a hard cycle to get out of

I know your exhausted and I know you’ve probably given in a hundred times with the 3 year old and just let them crawl in bed for at least an hour of uninterrupted sleep but some are absolutely correct on this post. You have to enforce the 3 year old to sleep in their own bed. Start a different routine with both before bed. After dinner perhaps it’s bath time for both. Allow them to play their little hearts out for however long then maybe after lotion them both down with chamomile and I’m not saying drug the 3 year old but perhaps some melatonin the first couple days. After they think they’ve eaten something yummy go and place them in their room. Ask if they want a movie or music or a story read. Let them get cozy and their be asleep in no time. Reassure them your just in the next room over. Keep their door open. If they awake and run to your room just get up and place them back in their bed. Assure them once more. Restart the movie or w.e you decided to do to get them asleep. After a week I’d ween them off the melatonin bc if your consistent then their body will be tired at a certain time now and will get on a schedule. This is what worked for me with my 2 year old who was almost 3. But ultimately you are their mom and knows what’s best.

1 Like

To transition my littlest, I had to lay in his bed with him until he fell asleep. He is 3 and will usually stay asleep through the night but will still occasionally come to my room. You may have to lay with him in his room for a bit for him to fall asleep until he gets comfortable with being in his room. I would definitely try and get the babe to sleep in a crib. Maybe one that’s right next to you? Also make sure the 8 month old doesn’t have reflux or something causing him to only want to sleep on you. Sounds like a comfort thing though.

2 Likes

I have an almost 3 year old and I struggled with him not sleeping in his own bed. I put his bed in my room and he now sleeps through the night and in his own bed.

1 Like

Put baby in crib and be consistent on letting 3yo fall asleep in his own room and stay in there. Will take time for them both to get use to it, but it’s best thing to do.

Put the baby in the crib next to you & work on getting the 3 year old to sleep in their bed.

You need to reassure your 3yo that they are safe and cozy in their own bed, maybe you could tuck them in half hour before bedtime and give them some time with tv? Maybe read a book or two. Give lots of kisses and cuddles and even try leaving a light on outside of their room. Be persistent with putting them back in their own bed and let them know they are becoming a big person now and big people sleep in big beds by themselves. Be persistent with your 8mo too, I know it’s hard, I have an 8 year old who co-slept till 5 years old, got lucky with my now 3.5yo and I now have a 4mo that likes to wake at night as babies do, I am being persistent with bub and really try not to get into the cosleeping habit again. It’s a hard one to get out of once your in in, but you’ll get there. Persistent is key! You are the boss and you need to reinforce the rules! Goodluck mumma! :blush:

Take your 3 year old online shopping, let him pick his/her own sheets, pillow, blanket, and nightlight, maybe even a new special stuffed animal or something, encouraging them to sleep on their own. Best of luck to you

Put a baby gate up to his room. Stops him from coming to your room also you know he’s safe in his room and can’t wonder the house.

Put them to bed and lock your door