My 4-year-old would rather play with older kids: Advice?

Maybe kids his age bore him and the older ones give him more of a challenge

1 Like

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Everyone finds their place. No one needs to dumb themselves down to people of chronological age to fit into other people’s molds.

My daughter always had older friends. It’s not always a bad thing. Most of mine are older too. Like someone else said. Probably less fighting.

As he gets older… Older kids will get him in trouble.

I only allow a. Two year age different with my kids friends.

After age 10… Older kids will get him in serious trouble. Imagine him. 11 and his friends 18. They get him smoking drinking. Involved in sex…

Do not allow it.

I think being defiant to kom is a normal thing, just make sure dad is backing you up it’ll stop. What is wrong with playing with older kids?

He probably wants to hang with the older boys because it’s like having an older brother. As long as they all play nice just go with it…

It’s not an issue after all, let him be with your guidance,that helps him to grow in every aspect.

Sounds like he’s advanced kids his age bore him I was the same way as a kid

1 Like

My 6 year old is the same way

What it’s dads doing that you aren’t?

Is he an only child? If so that could be why.

He’s probably advanced learner. The teacher’s, usually notice this

I just don’t see the problem here.

2 Likes

Sadly will also be the child to give the sex ed to early and the not to commit crimes ed to also. Early bloomers

Perhaps advanced for his age.

Honestly all my kids were that way. They look up to them. I wouldn’t worry so much about it. You can of course make play dates with children more his age but don’t worry in social settings if he gravitates to the older boys.

My oldest son was like that. He’d volunteer to stay inside for recess to help the teacher prepare or clean. He found his age group to be immature & behind him cognitively & emotionally. Older kids often don’t judge younger kids as harshly as kids the same age. Don’t push him to try to fit in with his age group. That opens him up to be more easily pressured by his peers. It creates a struggle that he’ll try to satisfy you by doing what his peers are doing rather than be who he is. I always encouraged my son to be him. If he wanted to play with 12yos at 4 so be it as long as they treated him with respect. It seemed awkward then but as he matured he had the confidence as his own person not to fall into the normal teen behaviors. Drugs, alcohol & sex were never never pressures for him to participate in to fit in. Let him be who he is. Ask far as the struggles you face with him he probably sees you as a peer rather than parent. Be firm. Don’t use dad as a threat as that minimalizes your authority. Give him leeway. For example if he doesn’t want to eat what is served that’s fine. He still sits for conservation & cleans up as part of the family. If he refuses then take something away. For bedtime routine is crucial. Just keep putting him back in bed. Let him play until he’s sleepy as long as he stays in his room. My kids are allowed stuffed animals & books I’m their bedroom. No electronics or other stimulating toys. Try to guide him, not control him.

My son was diagnosed adhd. His iq was twice his age, his emotional iq was half his age. As a result he didnt connect with peers until he was much older. He tended to attract either older or younger children than him.

My son is like that, but I think it’s because my daughter is 10 and all his cousins are way older also.

My son was the same
Don’t worry. He’s being defiant cause your mum. Just carry on what your doing.

My twins much rather be with older kids.

From birth, I was the “baby” of the family. My siblings and everyone around me was at least 5 years older. I always gravitated toward older people and still do. They’ve taught me a lot over the years. I fail to see why this is a problem.