My 5-month-old barely naps anymore: Advice?

My daughter has been sleeping through the night since she was about three months old. She will fall asleep at 8-8:30 pm and sleep until 7-8 am. Sometimes she will go back to sleep after her morning bottle for an hour or so, but whenever she’s up for the day, I can’t seem to get her to take any GOOD naps. After her bottles, she will be tired and fall asleep during burping, but whenever I put her down in her crib, she wakes up. Whenever she finally does lay down (maybe twice during the day), she only sleeps for 30min if that. She always seems cranky nowadays, and I’m thinking it is because she’s not getting any good/long naps in. Sometimes I even try to hold her to see if that will help her sleep longer, but it’s never longer then 30min. I don’t know if this is why she’s so cranky during the day or what?

7 Likes

Is it possible for you to try a swing?

My 6month old does the same thing… Some times he takes his naps and other days he takes them in like 15min-1hr intervuls if I’m lucky… Right now they have teeth tbat are wanting to come in and starting to become.mobile and older,they’re nit gonna wanna so naps a whole lot as they reach these new goals

My baby would do the same thing …I called them crack naps she did eventually grow out of that

1 Like

Maybe check with a doctor, there is a possibility something could be wrong with her ears? My baby was acting the same way with no other symptoms went to his well check up exam and had an ear infection… Doc said paying down flat could make it hurt even worse.

Gotta get her up at the same time every morning and get her on a sleeping schedule. I probably wouldn’t let her go back to sleep again once she wakes up in the mornings until at least two hours later, then don’t let her sleep longer than two hours for a nap.

2 Likes

Is it possible shes teething? That could also cause her to be cranky as well and some babies start teething around 6 months if not sooner.

Mine is pulling this. But, his behind is TEETHING. And it’s is the DEVIL. He wakes up screaming. Pulling his ears. Shoving his fists in his mouth. I’m lucky if he takes two 20 minute naps a day. :woman_facepalming:t4:

Google wonder weeks. It’s very normal for babies to go through sleep regressions over the first few years of their life and a majority of them go through their “wonder week” where they are learning a new skill (crawling, sitting, walking, talking etc) around the same time. Very interesting read. Just stick with your usual routine, drink lots of coffee, and get help to take a nap when you can. This too shall pass mama :relaxed:

2 Likes

It honestly sounds like she might be teething, my son is like that when he’s teething

Count your blessings. She is sleeping at night and probably doesn’t need the nap. Sounds like teething or possibly growing pains.

3 Likes

Maybe make the bottles a little thicker? A full belly always knocks em out, and a teething ring couldn’t hurt

All babies are different, and as long as she’s gaining weight and happy I’d be grateful she’s an all night sleeper already. My older 2 kids did that, but this last baby I had a year ago does not and it sucks lol

1 Like

Ours only naps once a day at 7 months. Sleeps the same hours at night

She could be teething

1 Like

She may already be teething & in pain… I have 4 children… 3 of them had thr 1st 2 bottom teeth by 6 months old… my 4th baby is almost 4 months & u can already see white spots in her gums where her teeth r getting ready… :blush::blush::heart::heart:

1 Like

Count your blessings that she’s sleeping through the night, my 11 month old still wakes up ! Maybe your baby just loves life and wants to enjoy it😉

If she is tired, she will sleep. If she needs it, she will sleep. Could be teething. Happens very often around that age when they are teething, the naps are next to none.

2 Likes

My youngest son was like that kind of he would go to bed at 8 wake up at 8 waking 3-5 times a night then take one hour nap my 7 month old she doesnt let me sleep she goes to bed at 8 wakes up about every hour and takes 2-3 naps only 15 -30 mins each time but my oldest daughter she always takes a nap even now at 6 some need it some dont

I’m going through the EXACT same thing!! My baby will be 5 months on Dec 4. She sleeps amazingly at night, but will nap a few times a day for only 30 mins or so. I think it’s teething, because she usually wakes up crying, where before, she would just wake up very calm and happy.

She might be teething! Mine started at four months so it’s definitely a possibility

I had the same problem your having. I finally gave up on naps altogether. What I learned was that when she didn’t have naps she wasn’t cranky at all.
But it could be that she is teething, or any number of things. If your that concerned make an appointment to see her Dr.

Sleep regression occurs around that time :frowning:

Be glad she sleeping through the night my oldest is 6 and has never slept through the night even now she dont and she dont nap. Maybe your baby needs a thicker bottle her little belly might not be getting full enough as for the crankiness maybe she is starting to teeth

My daughter never naps for more than 30-45 minutes and wakes up 4-6 times each night, babies are weird haha

Could be teething or a growth spurt. The only way my LO sleeps during the day is when someone is holding her or she’s in her swing. Hang in there. Hopefully she will start napping again soon!!

Maybe she is still hungry, is her hands in fists? If they are she is still hungry and will need to be fed more

My 6 month old daughter has been like this for a few months now. She hated being put down and her baby reflex would startle her awake every time I tried to put her down.

I did instill in her a calming sensation when I hum. It’s something I’ve done since she was in the womb. I’ll rock her in my arms (same position as if she were feeding) and hum. After a few minutes she’ll fall asleep and it’s much easier to lie her down when she’s horizontal. Some music helps sometimes, but even to this day her naps are never longer than an hour and she’ll sleep 9pm to 9am with a few wakes for feeding.

Just keep experimenting. Remember, your babies cries and actions are them trying to communicate with you. Pick up the patterns and adjust appropriately

Sleep regression probably. Just drink some strong coffee and you will get through it…good luck.

When my daughter no longer wanted to nap when I wanted her to I let her play until she fell asleep on her own. She slept through the night also. Kids have their own clock.

My son is 5 months. He goes to sleep around 8pm and wakes up around 7am. He is still up 2 to 4 times a night! He eats rice 2 to 3 times a day and only catnaps for 10-15 minutes. I NEED ADVICE TOO. My other boys slept thru the night at 3 months and it was never an issue. What am I doing wrong?:weary:

1 Like

I would trade day-time sleep for night-time sleep. :joy: my twins sleep broken at night but will take two 2 hour naps during the day.

1 Like

Babies at her age only need about 15 hours of sleep a day including naps… since she is getting most of that at night is most likely the reason she cat naps which is totally normal… and ALL she needs at 5 months are her bottles she is plenty full

1 Like

More activities to wear the child out…mental and physical stimulation.

1 Like

It could be she needs snack of some sort to be sure her belly is full it could be fruit or cereal or yogurt she might nap longer than 30 minutes if she had a snack

Wish my kid slept the entire night :unamused::woman_facepalming:t5:

Everyone is different even babes

She sleeps all night what more do u want? None of my kids took naps ugh

3 Likes

It seems she gets enough sleep at night.

1 Like

Many babies go through rapid changes with new physical changes, teething, sitting up, crawling

I’m sorry but…what the hell are you complaining about!!! Lol unless your doctor says otherwise, you’re baby is good and healthy, just alert and doesnt want to miss a thing. My youngest was like that. But you have an advantage…yours sleeps at night. Enjoy it! :blush:

2 Likes

Enjoy your sleeps at night girl! Your baby is just fine. Keep her entertained during the day she will probably fall asleep during her entertainment. Her toys, laying on the floor, swing, bouncy, what ever. You have a good baby.

Make her room extremely dark. I babysit a baby who was doing the same thing (both of mine were good sleepers so it drove me crazy that this baby didn’t sleep lol). I took a dark bed comforter (black out curtains didn’t do it) and covered the entire window and now she sleeps for hours and I have to wake her up. I’m assuming she’s mistaking the darkness for night time, but if I lay her in a diff room, she won’t sleep so that’s my best option.

My third child never took naps and just played in his crib.