My 5-month-old screams in her carseat at night: Advice?

I wouldn’t take her out at night then.

She’s probably afraid of the dark. Mabey get her a glow baby for car rides after dark

1 Like

Yes mine did this I put a dvd player back there so she could watch cartoons

1 Like

Get a glow toy for her to have near something with a soothing light and my kids love music so play radio

2 Likes

Calming music toys or even find a favourite song to play on repeat i had the same thing for 6 months. Try feeding right before car ride to put to sleep.

Every time you stop and calm her down. You have “trained” her, that if she screams you will stop the car to check on her. Give her something, a blanket, toy, or stuffed animal to self soothe herself with.

2 Likes

Got this car seat mirror for my baby and the music/lights helped him at night. I liked that it had a remote control so I could easily turn it on/off.

1 Like

My 6 month old started doing this at night, I think it’s being in the dark and all the lights flashing. At night I have to play little Baby Bum on my phone and prop it where he can see it. I think the video catches his attention enough to distract him from the other lights, usually he’s out within a few minutes and the rest of the ride is peaceful for both of us.

Does she have any carseat toys to help distract her. And feed and burp before yall head out.

Turn on a light. Even if you get like a little book light or something.

My daughter did this day or night. So eventually at like 9ish months I just turned her around so she could see me and see out the windows and she was totally fine. (Come and attack me :woman_shrugging:t2:) All she needed was to be able to see me and she has been fine.

If it isn’t too distracting for the driver maybe turn on the overhead light. My 6 month old gets mad after dark sometimes because dark=bed so that’s what we do.

Mine did the same thing, shes 7.5 months and still doesn’t like it at night. So we try to avoid going out at night if possible

My daughter used to love car rides till after a long trip now she 95% of time will scream and cry herself to sleep whenever we go for a drive.

Yes, eventually I let my son watch some nursery rhymes on Netflix while we drove, the crying was just WAY too stressful on both of us. My son didn’t fully accept being in the car seat until I turned him forward facing. I think he just felt too alone back there. :woman_shrugging:

Lol mine screamed her whole first year on any car drives. Sometimes they just do. She grew out of it.

My fellas one and he does it the whole time I just very uncomfortably reach back hold his face with my hand and he’s happy. They can’t see anyone back there.

DVD player or just turn the light above her on and give her a few toys. My 2 year old hates riding in the dark so we have to use the DVD players or he’ll tell us to turn the light on.

Getting home too late if u can distract her DVD or music

Wow good to know never thought of that totally makes sense…it dark baby needs light

Glow-worm might help

Two of mine did this and they wound up having terrible motion sickness when they grew up. Its has to do with the connection between what they see, and the way their ears balance their equilibrium, as well as the air pressure in the car from the ac. Sometimes cracking a window would work. Sometimes they would need to see the horizon out the windows. It could also just simply be that she is lonely since she has no one in the back with her. I would suggest a mirror so she can see you as you drive, and also see the road you are seeing to help her equillibrium. We didnt have a headrest to put the mirror on so we also found reaching behind and rubbing a hand or foot or the back of the head and the base of the skull was helpful. It lets her know you are there and eases the pressure too.

My daughter didn’t scream but she would get quite fussy at night. I sang to her and it calmed her down. Only problem with that was, sometimes the drive was over an hour and I had to sing to her the entire time… even with laryngitis… but it kept her calm and engaged… good luck to you!!

When my nephew was having a hard time riding my Mom would put Elvis on the radio and he and his sister would get very quiet. She could be afraid of the dark maybe a toy with a light on it would help. Could she have an ear infection? Low music that you could sing to could help, Loud could hurt her ears. Talk to her like you are reading her a story. If you don’t read to her at bed time start doing so, then it could calm her down. Good luck!!

2 Likes

Aww! She’s scared of the dark. The shadows and such can be very scary. You can get a book light from the dollar tree and hook it to the seat belt and aim it down onto her and give her a toy to play with that also lights up.

3 Likes

Yes my oldest daughter would do the same thing when she was a baby I got her a glow worm where it had some light and it sang lullabies it seemed to help her until she outgrew crying at night in the car . Best of luck!

5 Likes

My baby did the same thing, just all the time she was in the car seat! I needed up switching to a convertible and facing out.

Maybe afraid of the dark. My son used to do this when he was little so we gave him a little flashlight to keep in the car.

Maybe it’s too dark for her in the back. Try putting up some battery powered string lights on her mirror (if you have one) or the seat headrest. It worked for my children.

1 Like

Maybe afraid of dark you should invest in a toy or something that emits a soft light to comfort her. And maybe something with your scent to calm her

Could be the dark. My son is afraid so I turn on the inside car light

ya, sound like she may have a problem in the dark, but slso she cant see u… and nay fell alone or abanded cuz she cant see u… a toy that lights up or leave one of the lights on in the back and talk to her, so she knows your there… or talk to your dr. he may have some suggestions.

My daughter was the same way she hated the dark but now is just fine we just tried to make sure we were at home when it started getting dark and if we had to get out my husband would go and I’d stay home with our kiddos.

my daughter hated her car seat we got different one and she was fine… still rear but she didn’t like the carrier kind any more

My daughter did the same I think she was a little older but I ended up buying her a small toy with a light and that helped alot cause if not she would cry until we were home

1 Like

It’s going to sound weird but band her wrist with leather while asking for protection. She is not liking what she is seeing . This will bring angels to surround her

Poor thing. The dark can be very scary. A lighted toy, or something with more light should help.

Maybe they make light up toys for her to play with that can attach to her car seat?

My son did the same thing your doing the right thing by pulling over! Maybe kids music

Give her a glow in the dark toy or a flash light bless her
May try singing to her

Give her glow or light up or musical toys and put a cozy blanket around her .

My daughter would do this and oddly enough a Hispanic music station popped through the radio and she fell silent so for her it was finding mariachi bands on the radio.

1 Like

Get her a toy that lights up when she squeezes or touch it! It sounds like she’s afraid of the dark and this may help her!

My son still hates the dark in the car…ive got to tell him repeatedly thats its okay and we cant use the light…hes 4

Might wanna check her car seat there maybe some small thing in it that bothers her

Yeah my daughter did this. They grow out it

1 Like

A DVD player with learning video’s?

Get her a light up toy. Sounds like she’s afraid of the dark. Good luck.

Maybe she’s scared of the dark

She could be carsick

1 Like

Put a light toy with ghe baby