My 5-year-old has been having accidents in class; Advice?

Please supply extra clothes for her. I might ask the teacher to tell her to go use the bathroom a few times a day. Then I would give her stickers at home for coming home dry. I would just encourage her to keep using the bathroom so she can stay dry.

Have a meeting with the teacher AND your daughter so she sees you guys are on the same page and so you can address all of the concerns that your daughter has and she will probably understand better that this is what needs to be done.

1 Like

Daughter may be telling the truth and teacher lying. We had this problem with my son in 2nd grade, teachers don’t allow them to go when they need to because it disrupts class or they feel student wants to leave the room. My son walked out of school and came home(we lived across the street from school at the time). We moved and moved schools and got a note from the doc because he had bowel issues.

I did this in school because I was anxious and too nervous to ask the teacher to pee :sob: could she be anxious about something perhaps

If you talked to the teacher she should ask her every hour until she gets comfortable asking

I would believe the child. I had this happen when I was in elementary school. Teachers told my mom I could go when I asked but in class they refused to allow me to go. Caused bladder infections and accidents. Mom eventually believed me and told me to walk out and go if I needed to.

1 Like

My nephew had this problem, turns out whenever he would say he needed to go, the teacher would ask if it was an emergency. And in his 5year old logic, no one was hurt and he didn’t need to call 911, so it wasn’t an emergency. He would say no, teacher wouldn’t let him go, and he’d have an accident.

My son didnt have accidents but he had a hard time when he first started kinder so I volunteered in the class a few hours in the morning before work it seemed to help alot maybe if you could do that you can help her get comfortable asking

try telling her to go during recess you don’t have to ask to use the restroom during recess hours even if she doesn’t have to go tell her to try. I work at a school and a lot of kids do this. Sit her down on the toilet before you leave the house for school then tell her before you go play for recess go sit on the potty and try to go. then tell her to go as soon as she goes to lunch recess her body will get used to going at those times.

1 Like

I remember when I was little and in elementary school I was afraid to go to the bathroom by myself. I think going from the very controlled atmosphere of preschool or child care where often there is a bathroom in the room or someone accompanies you to the bathroom to Kindergarten where you are suddenly on your own can be a little overwhelming.

My kid is the same about speaking up. Very shy and scared to ask or tell anything

Could it be stress? I’ve heard that stress can cause/increase accidents. Is it possible for you to ask to sit in her class for a day and help her become more comfortable with asking to use the bathroom when she needs to? It could also just be the excitement and her being too distracted to use the bathroom before it’s too late.

I had the same problem in kindergarten. I would ask and then be told no and then be yelled at for having an accident. Usually it is the teacher. When I got older I would get UTI’s because we changed class every period and every teacher would tell me no. My mom started telling me to just walk out anyway if I have to. One teacher got mad so I had to get a doctors note saying I have the right to go whenever I have to. Which still seems ridiculous to this day that you need a note to do something everybody must do everyday. I will tell my daughter the same thing. She will never be in trouble for walking out.