My 6-year-old dislikes getting his teeth cleaned...advice?

I need advice, my kid is 6 and hates getting his teeth cleaned at the dentist , he ends up crying because the toothbrush is ticking his gums and he gets so upset they can’t finish , the dentist gets frustrated “but never rude “ sensory issue maybe ?

4 Likes

Don’t go back with him. Kids behave completely different without the parents. I used to tell them if they want to come back, set the kiddo in the seat and then wait outside the room. Still close but not eyesight

2 Likes

That’s normal behavior. Is it pediatric dentist? Do they use distractions such as movies and headphones?

Is this a pediatric dentist? Have you tried a different dentist?

1 Like

It doesn’t sound like a sensory issue. It just sounds like he’s a kid. Mine has extreme sensory issues and on the spectrum and is fine but she does say it tickles. So we take a break and then we keep going. It sounds like you need to find a better dentist maybe

1 Like

Find a different dentist. The reason why is because your child can definitely feel the tension and frustration from that particular dentist. Children have a good read on people. Also lots of children highly dislike the dentist but you need to find one that specializes in pediatric dentistry

1 Like

A dental hygienist may be more patient with your child than a dentist. They usually do cleanings for most people

1 Like

We tried a Peds Dentist 1st the open room with other kids crying or acting badly didn’t help them at all

I took them to the dentist office I’ve been going to for years and they did so much better!

Both kids go there now and go back alone.

Also a little “tough love” showing them my fillings and what happens when you dint get regular cleanings and reminding them that some people have dental issues (i.e pain) and don’t have money or resources to.go to the dentist. All these things helped them

Personally I have legit bribed my kids. If you be brave and try your hardest to get the cleaning done I will take you to the store to buy something. I know this isn’t the best parenting. But the dentist is my exception because both my kids have a rough time there and that seems to help.

Maybe he has sensitive teeth. I am a grown up and hurts to get my teeth cleaned. Alsoi would try a different dentist also???

My son is the same way. I changed dentists, there are dentists out there that understand children and then there are not. I usually have talks with him leading up to his appointment about it and what theya re going to do. At the appointment I usually sit with him (until this year he said alone) and make sure the hygienist is tell him what she or he is going to be using and doing and demonstrate it on their hands or my son’s and make sure he’s okay with it first. Trust me it is the dentists…not your child!

Get a different dentist. I would recommend finding one that only deals with children. One I take my kids to has tvs on the ceiling with a movie playing to distract the kids, sunglasses for the bright lights, headphones if they need it etc.

We have thr Disney toothbrush you can download the app and scan the toothbrush it then counts down 2 minutes and on your phone a toothbrush brushes to reveal a pic. Maybe something distracting might help x

I do not know one person that likes to go to the dentist

2 Likes

Cox civic cosa vocal dock dc clap xoxoxoxo dc CA space dc fps Elvis superhero w cosa repos worldwide dc capital revival e keep stovetop dc fps wet viva wc fuel ed clad ex cappella weeds sleeps ex sleep dial dc