My 6-year-old walked in on us doing the deed: How should we handle this?

Haha following. I was wondering what I would do if this happens when my son is older haha. He is only 7 months but we learned today that he is starting to notice things more. We thought he was asleep (his crib is in our room) so we were being quiet and under a blanket but afterwards I sat up and looked over and he was staring at us with his face against the bars of the crib :joy: haha we realized that we need to start being more careful now.

1 Like

My son barged in on us, and I told him it was just a special time that grown married people have sometimes. He had questions, and I answered them honestly. Like why would Dad kiss your leg? I said when you get older and fall in love you’ll want to kiss your partner in different places. That was the worst of it and hes fine since, he does listen to the rule about knocking now though :rofl::rofl:

17 Likes

Be honest. It’s adult time. Any questions? Answer them honestly without slang terms. It might be eye opening but in the future she’ll know you’ll be truthful with her. Don’t make it weird, simply educational

8 Likes

I wouldn’t say anything unless she asked if she does. Just answer with a quick answer and shut the conversation down… it happens iv had my children walk in half asleep and ask what I was doing and I just reply with something adults do

3 Likes

I would agree dont say wrestling ! Go with a more age appropriate truthful version! Coming from sexual abuse you open way to many doors! From the time my girls were young I was always truthful with them. And I wish my parents would have been truthful with me

12 Likes

Maybe something like when a man and woman love each other they hug very tightly like that but it is for big people only and that mommy and daddy love each other very much so they were having the special hug???but don’t say wrestling lol

1 Like

Can we stop saying “mommies and daddies” and say “adults”? But yeah otherwise I agree, say “we were having a special type of hugging that adults do” something like that

7 Likes

Mom and daddy time/cuddles that married people have. Then move on. A quick, simple and truthful answer and she will be fine. No lies, no elaboration! After three kids I’ve found a quick and honest answer is the best and 95% of time they don’t want elaborating!

8 Likes

I’d let her ask questions and answer age appropriately. Let her bring it up first, otherwise go on like normal. At 6 years old it’s probably not that big of a deal to her.

6 Likes

Honestly, at six years old I wouldnt worry about it unless she brings it up to you.

18 Likes

At that age just play it off. We had the talk with our oldest (10 yr old) when he came to us on his own with a lot of questions. 6 is a little young in my opinion, but follow your gut. Only you and the hubs know what’s best for your littles.

2 Likes

This happened to my husband and me when my daughter was about 4 or 5. She came into our room and asked us to please be quiet she can’t sleep​:joy::see_no_evil:. The next mornig she did not say anything about it. So we left it there. She is now 11 and we had the birds and the bees talk with her when she was about 8.

1 Like

Lol we are so bad. Our oldest (6) I think knows what we are doing by now and just gives us privacy. I told him this is how we made his brother. One time shortly after that he came over to us during it and said he was so happy because this meant he was getting a sister now. I said no and then had further explaining about birth control. It’s an evolving conversation.

13 Likes

Now you have to not only talk to her but watch her close ijs y’all just open a window to her imagination and seek for Gods guidance

4 Likes

We told our daughter that Dad was giving Mom a massage. All she said was “Naked?” Yup! “You two are weird!” :joy:
When she gets older we will explain more.

3 Likes

I was about 6 when i accidently walked into my parents as well. To this day, still have that image :joy:

3 Likes

That is the scene i don’t want to happen. Good thing so many mommas here with good advices. Thank you for the ideas. Now i know what to do in the future. just in case☺️

2 Likes

Tell her mommies and daddies show love in ways that they don’t with their kids. It was mommy and daddy time

2 Likes

Girl i told my daughter mommy and daddy was coming together…:joy:🤦

8 Likes

It’s never happened to me but I would lie my ass off. It’s not a 6 year olds business.

5 Likes

Just explain to her that Daddy and Mama were showing each other how much we love each.other.
Just reassure her that it was a positive thing she saw because little ones can react to it as violent.
If you need to go farther (you will know when she is satisfied) tell her grown-ups who are in love like her Daddy and Mama have a grown-up way of showing how much they love each other. Explain to her when she gets to be a grown up young woman she will understand it more and it is okay for her to just know her parents love each other and your family so much.
Then I would just go about life as normal. They fund other things much more important in their world.
I have raised 2 daughters and 3 grandkids…it happens.
But I found that was a safe way to explain it incase it does get her repeated by her to someone…it comes across as her seeing you each showing how much you love each other and not graphic details she is not ready to comprehend and leave her confused and fearful of what she saw.
It is normal…tell Daddy not to stress.
Remember you were not doing anything wrong so don’t give her the impression you are overly concerned. Stop when she is satusfied…

1 Like

I told mine, we was dancing… he said daddy can’t dance

2 Likes

Oh my gosh id be so embarrassed. I’m sure my son has seen something but it was dark so probably not much and hrs never commented

1 Like

I’d find some way to say that you were showing each other that you love one another.

1 Like

Stop googling everything and go with your instinct. You know your child. Leave it alone and if she asks again just say we were snuggling. Or kissing. Or hugging. Whatever simple affection word you think. It’s a good thing to be affectionate

Omg this happened to me a couple months ago. He refused to leave! He just stood there. We kept telling him 2 leave and he kept asking what we were doing. The worst part is we were in the worlds most awkward position. We just told him I bet das he wouldnt kiss my butt. Lol it worked but im still hearing about it. U know ur kids and what they will beloeve

“Mommy Daddy time” leave it at that. It’s not the worst thing she’s going to see in her life. In a couple more years she will be knocking on the wall asking if you need snacks. No joke.

1 Like

I said we were pillow fighting! The question " why can i see your butt" then followed… :sweat_smile: i hope my 4 year old isn’t scarred :joy:

We told our 8 year old we were exercising or wrestling. That’s what we’ve stuck to

1 Like

Unless she brings it up don’t say anything.

I walked in on my parents once when I was around that age. I acted like I didn’t see and I shut the door. I think my parents figured if I didn’t ask, the they were not going to explain. It was never talked about.

Just tell her daddy was giving you a massage only grownups can have

2 Likes

Just say he was giving you a massage and tell him to knock next time before he comes in. Making a big deal out of it will only draw more attention.

Maybe you should’ve have lock your bedroom door and teach her how to knock before coming into your room.

Okay well do not say anything about y’all were just wrestling etc and that it’s okay because I got molested as a child and because that’s what my mom and dad told me I thought it was normal even tho I didn’t like it… but anyway, I’d just say y’all were having alone time that only husband and wives do that and it’s something special between you and her dad. I had to explain to my 4 year old a few months ago. Lol.

13 Likes

I told mine we were wrestling…my boys always closed their bedroom doors I never did…that time they barged in…now they know if my door is closed I’ve got company please knock.

1 Like

Just say you were trying to make another baby.dont go into details at age 6

My daughter said " do it again daddy" lost the mood. Lol

Put a lock on your door…and after your deed is done make sure she doesnt feel locked out

1 Like

I would probably just say it was “Mommy and Daddy time.” Nice and simple!!

Tell her it’s something mummies and daddies do because they love each other?

If your not ready to explain buy a lock for your door.

This is ridiculous. Why wouldn’t you lock the door or wait until the child’s was out of the house, i.e at a grandparent’s house or at school/daycare to do the adult thing?

5 Likes

That’s a joke btw… I’m scared of rides especially heights so i just say I’m practicing for our holiday trip by the sea side

I say that when you’re married you’re allowed to have naked time.

Let her take the lead and be honest.

1 Like

Y’all was wrestling and daddy was winning

3 Likes

Just tell her u were busy working out…doing some sort of exercise both of u…period​:sweat_smile::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I feel a little blessed now reading these comments that our 8 year old has never caught us. Thank goodness lol

Tell her that mommy was riding daddy like the cow boy he is. Yeee haw!!!

8 Likes

If she asks, tell. If not, no worries!

1 Like

Lock the door next time… just a tip.

2 Likes

Pack up while she’s asleep and leave her a note! :joy::woman_shrugging:t2:

That you two were wrestling :joy:

3 Likes

Get a lock for your bedroom door. :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

Ok 1 why wasn’t your door locked

Need more information. On what position yall was in.lol

4 Likes

Lock the door next time

1 Like

Always be honest
It’s a natural thing,

Snuggling is the words I use

That’s all some ppl know how to do

Teach her to knock and lock your door :joy:

Just say you and daddy were wrestling lol xx

My two year old caught me and his dad and said are you eating daddy’s peanut that’s how he pronounces penis

Wrestling and tickling

Wrestling or a massage

Tell her the truth. When two consenting mature people have a special connection they can show each other how much by having sex. It should be something that is special to just them. Then answer any questions they may have. We avoid being specific as single or married and gender. I even avoid age. Even at 6yrs old my kids knew couples who were not married that live together. We also know same gender couples. They know people who had kids young, in their teens and as young adults. I didn’t want to have to go back on a lie that I told because I was uncomfortable. As they get older we talk about STDs, how babies are conceived and born, how to be responsible/safe, and how life changes when you have kids. We do this as soon as their bodies change. For my daughter this was around 9yrs old when breast buds developed and again around 11yrs old when her period started. For my boys they were around 10yrs old and they started to get stinky pits.

My oldest is almost 15yrs old. She knows the truth about sex, from the physical part to what can happen and even the emotional aspects. She isn’t a sex crazed teen either. She draws, writes, and has a anime youtube channel. My boys are 12yrs old and 10yrs old. They too know what sex is. They still lay with legos, toy guns, and still very much kids.

5 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy: Im laughing at this mom freaking out over nothing.

3 Likes

I personally wouldn’t tell her sex, that opens a whole lot more of curiosity for their ever growing minds. My daughter googles everything (cause I do) I would hate for her to google that.

This book has a lot of good advice on what to discuss with your kids at what age. Obviously won’t help you in the morning, but maybe in the near future. Good luck!

‘when 2 adults love each other they have special alone time, that is what we were doing, it might look strange to you but it not to us
Do you have anything you would like to ask?’
And answer questions

It’s a part of life, it’s not embarassing. Just answer any questions and don’t make it a big deal

70 Likes

A lock on the bedroom door would ensure that you guys had the privacy you need and your young children are protected from seeing or hearing you both having sex. As a parent I believe you need to be mindful of protecting young children from learning about adult relationship before they’re ready .

17 Likes

My goodness why are yall even having sex when children are awake? Not cool at all

11 Likes

I probably have an unpopular opinion but I would start with reminding the child that she needs to not just walk into a door with a closed door. That every part of your home isnt for her presence when she chooses. Sounds like boundaries need to be set.

Frankly you don’t owe her an explanation past the fact that you were doing something private that she isn’t old enough to know details about yet. I always gave my kids very general info about any topic they were too young to really discuss but never made things up or lied. For example-we are married adults that love each other and were spending special time together that is private. <----reenforcing the …KNOCK and don’t just walk in a closed room.

Kids need to learn boundaries :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Just tell her it was mummy and daddy have adult time . And she needs to knock on your bedroom door…
Explain that grown up people share love by being very close. Details dont matter.

2 Likes

Come on just say sex to alexia… You tube what ever the fuck… And then be done with it fuck it it’s 2020…your be there all year… Have a coffee… Put some fucking cotton buds in your ears and meditate while your kids are traumatised by alexia… Haha hahaha

If i see one more person tell her what to say… And make some hectic stupid story… I hope your kid slaps you with alexia guys… Hahaha

Lock your door maybe next time🤷‍♀️

Ignore it… it will go away.

I think I’d probably just run away and start a new life. :joy: Obviouslt kidding. But, I’d seriously die inside. Good luck!

@ Nicole Diaz omg this is a crazy coincidence

Fuckn Stupid as Fuck…lock your door!! Dumbfucks

1 Like

Lol put a lock on your door

Locking the door would be nice

5 Likes

Telissa Winder my thought exactly!

Lol you say nothing … just let it go

Im truthful. Shit happens. When a child of mine has questions, I cant lie. I cant ever lie to my kids about anything, other wise they will lise trust in me.

Had my bfs daughter open our bedrm door one night as I got up out of bed stark naked, I was face to face with her and freaked and slammed the door quickly while my bf busted out laughing. She is 9, now we lock the door
I was so use to my 4 and 7 yr old kids who live with us who knock and ask first to come in, but he said she is use to just walking into bedrm even if door is shut and even while we are sleeping so ya I lock the door
Still feel mortified

Honestly, both of my girls have walked in on us at separate times. They never brought it up again and neither did we. Lol shit happens, it’s natural.

Just be truthful ask her what she thinks she saw and tell her what she saw is natural and let her know that it’s something that happens between grownups u can always ask the doctor for information pamphlets or Google on how to talk to kids about sex

Omg! That happened to friends of ours that lived down the street from us (all the couple on the block hung out and our kids played together) my daughter and their daughter are the same age and were best friends for years. She not only walked in on them, they didn’t know she was there. My friend looked over her husbands shoulder and she was sitting with her head on her hands propped up on her elbows She said “are you guys nearly done because I want my breakfast” she was 5, my friend threw him. Lol!!! They told her they were playing leapfrog !!! :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

She said “what else could I say?” :woman_shrugging:t3:

We all laughed for months … leapfrog was the block joke …

She was satisfied with the answer… that’s all I can say. My kids never walked in on us, thank God, after we heard that story we were even more careful. Leapfrog (married leapfrog) is my answer lol

12 Likes

That’s some funny shit right there. I’m sorry you and your hubby are traumatized, but the humor will show eventually.

What she said was perfect

Not before bed. My mom told me about it right before bed and that was not a smart move. I stood up for hours thinking of all the people in my life that i now realized had sex. Do it tomorrow morning. Just say, we will talk in the morning about what you saw, mommy and daddy love each other and we love you.

7 Likes

For the love of God dont tell her you were playing. You don’t know what all she saw but God forbid any grown person try to hurt her sexually and call it a game you have already put in her head that its a game so please dont tell her its a game. I agree to be age appropriate honest. I also agree to learn to use the lock on the door.

20 Likes

I wouldnt lie. It’s the same reason I teach my kids the words penis and vagina. You dont want them telling you someone touch their “cookie” and you or another adult they tell think nothing of it.
We were doing adult stuff. And our room is our privacy area.

Just be honest but put it in a way she would understand. I say better she learn it from her parents than on tv or through friends.

3 Likes

She probably won’t even ask but if she does just say there are things that people do after they’re married and it’s hard to understand when you’re little but when you’re a little older I’ll explain it to you more. Please don’t tell her you were playing a game. Too many child molesters use that very phrase and you never want it to be confused for a game.

9 Likes

Be honest with her …we like to think they won’t figure it out but she’ll hear it from her peers trust me

4 Likes

I explained it to my child at age 6 not in detail but just that it was natural and that its what adults do. But my child also knew what both Male and female anatomy was by preschool because I want them to be able to tell me if someone did something to them. If you are honest with them young I’ve found they are more willing to be open at a older age my son is now 13 and has had in depth conversations with me and I ows everything he needs to about the subject and is comfortable talking with me

3 Likes

Be age appropriate honest. If she asks, answer honestly but age appropriate. If it were me, I’d rather my child hear it from me than from another child at daycare/school/wherever.

4 Likes