My 6-year-old walked in on us doing the deed: How should we handle this?

Mamas, I need advice!!! My six-year-old daughter just walked in on hubby, and I am having sex…( I know she happens to the best of us lol) we quickly stopped and tried to play it off but she totally saw it happening. Her words were “can you guys please be quiet. And I don’t know what daddy was doing to you, but that was weird” we just busted out laughing and said go back to bed. We will come to tuck you in. Hubby is in panic mode, googling what to do lol. He found an article that says if over age five be honest, just don’t go into detail. So am I suppose to tell my six years old we were having sex. I’m not sure I’m ready for all that. What should we tell her? I KNOW it’s going be brought up tomorrow, and I have no clue what to even say. HELPPPP!!!

244 Likes

Just be honest. :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

I would not tell her she is too young

9 Likes

She will forget about it.
Just move on and lock the door lol. Omgggg i would die lol
I know that’s not great advice…

4 Likes

Avoid unless she asks questions :joy::joy:

1 Like

I have always been honest with my kids. I leave it vague but tell them enough.

1 Like

Just let it go unless she keeps bringing it up

8 Likes

She’ll forget, fck it :joy:

2 Likes

I wouldn’t even mention it to her. If she brings it up. Just say it’s just us showing we love each other. It’s what mum’s and dads do. And put a lock on your bedroom door

19 Likes

My 7 year old son walked in on us before…it was awkward for everyone lol…but no one brought it up again. If he asked questions we would’ve had some explanating to do…:joy: so my advice would be to forget it…your kid will too. Probly already did

She will forget about it believe me . And if she ask just tell her u and daddy were doing things only adults do when they are completely in love . I have 4 kids and 2 of mine have walked in on me

2 Likes

Don’t tell her unless she ask again.

She isn’t going to forget about it. If she brings it up tomorrow just be vaguely honest.

My daughter did the same…I told her we were getting dressed and it turned into wrestling. She bought it.

12 Likes

I have 4 girls and they all walked in, but they are fine married and doing great

I just told my oldest who is now ten when she walked in on us doing the deed lol at the age of five we said we were having mommy and daddy time and she should go back to bed lol

2 Likes

We’ve always been open and honest

IMO talking to kids honestly about sex helps them not to develop insecurities around it. Sex is a normal and healthy part of a marriage and IMO kids should be able to come to their parents with questions about it. My husband and I have talked about what we would say. We decided that we would essentially say that we were expressing love in a way that only adults in love express love. We would stress that it is usually a private activity, but if our kids didn’t understand something or had questions it was ok to talk to mom and dad, but we don’t talk about sex at school. That’s probably not a perfect answer, but it’s what we have come up with so far.

11 Likes

Don’t say anything unless she asks questions. If she’s mature enough to ask questions she’s old enough to deserve a mature answer according to her age.

22 Likes

This is why we always lock our door and made it very clear that the kids werent to come in our room without knocking. Lol
Honesty is the best

8 Likes

Let it go, unless she brings it up.

1 Like

Just let it go. My 5 yo walked in on me and my husband telling us about his loose tooth… we played it off and he never asked about it

1 Like

Oh mama, I think we have all been there. My daughter has been curious since I miscarried a couple years ago, where babies come from. I had a book that my mom read to us when we were younger and I have now read it to her. My daughter opened the door and backed out much quicker, shutting the door. I went out to see what it was she needed. With eyes as big as saucers, she says, “mama, i just wanted some water.” :rofl::rofl: thankfully she never brought it up

1 Like

Don’t tell her anything unless she asks. She’s going to forget what she saw anyways…

2 Likes

If she asks talk to her, if she doesn’t then don’t worry about it.

Say you were wrestling lolz

4 Likes

Ask her to please knock and wait outside the door next time. If she let’s it go, don’t bring it up. If she starts asking, be honest and only answer the questions she asks. She might only wanna know one or two things and then she gets a speech about birds and bees and she just wanted to know if you get cold (what I asked my mom lol)

2 Likes

Tell them you’re doing laundry lol that what I told my kids lol

6 Likes

I wouldn’t say anything unless it is brought up agin.

3 Likes

Mom and dad were showing love to eachother in an adult way?

6 Likes

If she asks tell her. If she doesn’t bring it up she don’t think anything of it

2 Likes

My kid was 4 and he still brings it up almost 9 years later. At 4 I told him it was adult stuff and mind his own business and knock before entering. At almost 13, I tell him I know he will want to have sex in a few years and I will make it a point to make that impossible if he keeps talking about when he was 4 and saw… lol. Goodluck

14 Likes

Just explain you guys love each other and when people love each other they do what she saw and explain that is how she was made was cause mommy n daddy love each other

2 Likes

Come on people?? Telling a six-year-old about sex. I think that’s a little young. I would do what the one lady said tell them your wrestling. I wouldn’t even mention it if she doesn’t.

9 Likes

Don’t bring it up unless she does. At her age she doesn’t know what was going on and probably won’t say anything. Your embarrassed but she doesn’t know to be. My son walked in on me and my husband at age 5 an said nothing then I heard him telling his brother that momma and daddy play fight after everyone goes to bed. We just laughed an left it at that. At 5 or 6 they are not ready to know about sex.

7 Likes

Lmfao it happens. My youngest did when she was like 4 and was like umm wheres his pants and why are u naked :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

I would wait until she asks. To her you are just being weird. That is how i would leave it until she asks. I have 5 kids and my oldest is 9 youngest almost 2 and we have had it happen to us a few times. Everytime so far nobody remembered the next day. With it being late at night they have been half asleep anyways. If my big kids asked i would tell them though.

1 Like

My son caught me n his dad n he said we were playing leapfrog n he was 4 and I explained it to him. I don’t hide things from my child. I explain it to where he understands it. He’s 12 now n he doesn’t even remember so

My step son walked in on me giving my husband a blowjob when he was like 3 or 4… We have no clue how long he was standing by our bed. My husband threw a blanket over me and asked what he needed and then he left the room… We were dying!!! He is 7 now… Hopefully not damaged.

12 Likes

Leap frog!!! Go with playing leap frog!!:rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Yall dumb. You shouldve locked the door then it wouldn’t have happened. What is wrong with you people😒

8 Likes

I told my daughter ones daddy was giving mommy I back massage🤦🏻‍♀️

3 Likes

When I was 5 I knew where babies came from, and when I caught my parents I ran out and yelled “ewwwwwwwww!” And they laughed at me. I wouldn’t worry about it. I think most kids catch their parents. Lol. When I was a teenager I heard them once and hit the wall “knock it off or be quiet about freaks!”

1 Like

Just wait till she brings it up again.

Just say that’s what married people do and that’s how babies are made. Just leave it at that and say you’ll explain more once shes older but at that age thats all she Needs to know.

2 Likes

Our daughter caught us around the age of 5, I told her daddy was just giving me a really nice back/body massage because I was hurting and what he was doing felt so good that’s why you heard me being loud, she bought it and so far only got caught once more (a couple weeks ago actually she’s 7 now :joy:) but thankfully we were in complete darkness and we saw and heard her coming! You get sneakier as they get older lol

1 Like

Just tell her that is what mommy’s and daddy’s do to show their love for each other. And that when she gets a little bit older you will explain it to her a little more. I walked in on my parents when I was 10 and I grew up in a strict lds household. We did not speak of sex, our bodies or anything personal. The way they reacted made me feel like I was a bad girl and had done something wrong, my mom just slammed the door and we never spoke of it again. I always swore when I had kids I’d be open and honest with them. And so far I have been. Sometimes it’s uncomfortable, but I also want them to know they can come to me or ask me anything.

1 Like

It’ll be fine. If she remembers and has questions be honest. All 3 of mine did. Tell her that’s how mommy’s and daddy’s love each other. And if your religious you could also explain that’s how God intended for grown up mommy’s and daddy’s to love each other. I didn’t say anything to mine until they asked and my older didn’t. When he was older and we had The Talk he said mom I remember walking in and I was afraid to ask because y’all freaked out when I came in. But I wondered for a while till I forgot. So I think you have to think about your child and how she is about other things to help you decide to bring it up or not. Sometimes not saying can hurt worse than just addressing it. Good luck

1 Like

Our oldest walked in on us like a year ago she was 3 she thought we were wrestling so she ran over and jumped on the bed we started laughing so we got her out of there and told her after her and her little brother go to bed mommy and daddy nees mommy and daddy time so knock first

2 Likes

From now on, lock the bedroom door. My now 8 year old came home from school asking about sex when he was 6 because of the older boys on his bus. He recently walked in on me after the deed when I was still naked and asked if Dad and I were having “s e x” and I told him yes. Sex is a completely normal and natural part of life. We have been honest with him that sex makes babies (he has 2 siblings). If she asks, tell her it was sex, sex should happen between 2 agreeing adults, and it makes babies.

3 Likes

My son is the same age as your daughter, he’s autistic though. My bf and I were doing the deed when he suddenly popped up along side of the bed and started tapping me on the shoulder. Thank goodness we were under the covers, but omg. We didnt bring it up again and he never said anything. It sounds like your little girl might be more aware than my son is though. I would be honest, but keep it age appropriate.

1 Like

I mean yeah just be honest lol. When two ppl like each other like mommy and daddy do they might have sex. We used sex to make you (and any siblings). It’s a way to make each other feel nice but only adult are allowed to do it. Even show her online the state consent law and explain you have to be this old to do it or you get in trouble. Answer any questions

1 Like

Why not lock your doors until you’re finished.If you don’t have a lock,install one.

2 Likes

Our daughter asked us why daddy was putting his turkey in my butt lol
She named his a turkey
And she only knows thats girls have a butt /butt crack lol and she was only 3 lol they forget all about that stuff

5 Likes

A couple of years ago my son busted into our room crying because “why is mummy screaming?” (I didn’t think I was being loud BUT). I told him “mummy had a mosquito stuck in my throat and dad was helping me to cough it up”. I did some coughing then smiled and said, “all better. Nothing to worry about babe”. My son was relieved. To this day he still tells ppl that dad saved his mum from a giant mosquito :rofl::rofl::rofl: hey, its a story that works! So maybe try that?

9 Likes

Just say it’s what mommy’s and daddy’s do when they love each other :woman_shrugging:t3: that’s what we told our son :joy::woman_shrugging:t3:

7 Likes

Just say you were showing each other adult affection.

1 Like

Ask her if she has any questions and if she does just be honest.

This is just disturbing.

4 Likes

We have never been caught however… we have 2 teenage daughters 16 and 15 and they proceed to tell us one night at dinner, after my husband made an adult joke, they can hear us :joy::joy: i died laughing, he was so freaked out…we always have on the TV and the fan… oops :joy:

3 Likes

All kids should definitely be told about sex before 9. Not just for general know how and prep for puberty but for their own safety against predators. Be honest and explain things in ways she will understand and just don’t go into detail.

2 Likes

Dude my son walked in on me and my husband a couple years ago then the next day proceeded to tell my dad and everyone that was at my dad’s shop " I caught mom and Josh having sext" lmao and where we lived was a small ass town everyone knew everyone and to this day my dad still won’t let me forget what my son said so our door us always locked during sex now

I would not explain it yet. Keep the Innocence as long as possible. I all ways go with don’t worry about it

2 Likes

Why didn’t you lock the door?

2 Likes

When my daughter walked in on hubby and me, we pretended it never happened.

2 Likes

Lock your door while doing the deed

4 Likes

Lock your door next time

5 Likes

Don’t explain it. If she’s asks tomorrow, just change the subject & teach her how important is it to knock when the door is closed. :weary::joy:

3 Likes

Honesty is the best policy! But always let them lead the conversation, start with a simple open question and go from there. I have 1 boy 11 and a girl 9 and we always tell them the age appropriate truth if they have further questions we answer. They always feel comfortable talking to us even if it’s weird they know we will be there

2 Likes

My oldest daughter caught me when she was like five maybe. She said what are you doing and I was like wrestling. She literally goes “you wrestle all the time.” I busted out laughing so hard.

6 Likes

6 is wayyyy too young to explain that to! Just don’t bring it up and she probably won’t say anything. If she does, try to make up a game you were playing?? :woman_shrugging:t3: Not sex though, a 6 year old should not have to process that.

8 Likes

Just say you were having sex and explain it’s a grown-up activity and to knock before entering in the future

5 Likes

I told my daughter shes 11 and she walked in on us before. I told her when your married and love eachother this is way to show how u love someone! And no one should be ashamed especially when your in love and married. She understood and said nothing else your baby is young so try to keep it down and make sure your doors locked .

1 Like

Tell her when 2 people love each other and have feelings for each other they get as close as they can get…that might be all she needs to know…

3 Likes

I heard my parents doing it when I was little and thought my dad was hurting my mom. A couple of years later I put 2 and 2 together and realize all that crazy noise was nasty time lol. My parents never talked to me about sex like it is normal for a married couple.

We just say were giving massages without kids

When my daughter walked in on us she asked what we were doing I just said wrestling.

2 Likes

Better to be honest…my oldest is seven now but was around 3ish when he caught his father and I. He never asked but now that hes older he has done some inappropriate things.

I asked where he learned all of it and why he did things. He said he remembered it from when we were with his dad.

He understands a bit better now that it is an adult activity and that it is not to be joked about.

I wouldn’t tell her it was sex or get into anything. Just make something believable up i hope I never have to go thru this id be so panicked. Thank god my oldest can’t even open doors… yet… good luck

Oh when school starts back up be prepared for that discussion. She’s gonna tell everyone. :see_no_evil::see_no_evil:

1 Like

When my one year old and 7 year we’re in the bath tub we decided to have a quicky in the kitchen and my 7year old took it upon herself to get her and her sister out of the tub and almost caught us but when I heard them I told them not to came in and she said why are ur pant down and I told her I accidentally pee in the kitchen :rofl::joy: i couldn’t think of anything else :woman_facepalming::woman_shrugging: but she never said anything until a week later and asked me what was sex and I told her what do u think it is and there happened to be two people kissing on tv and she that. And all I said was yup and them she changed the subject :woman_shrugging:

Dont explain it and just let it go. She will forget and just buy her a present lol possibly a pony lol 6 is way to young to have that discussion.

6 Likes

Tell her that you and her daddy were having adult fun and that when she’s old enough, you’ll explain it to her. Just be honest. You don’t even have to tell her what it’s called. 6 is way too young to have The Talk with but at least be honest and don’t try to tell her you guys were wrestling or something. She’s obviously not a dumb child.

3 Likes

Wow so this kind of question question gets posted yet the one I posted to be sent in asking about neighbor advice never gets posted yet I can see that you saw the message that you just don’t respond by this page has a piece of shit unliking

Tell her that you guys were having “grown up alone time” if she asks. Shes too young to know what that is yet and tell her she needs to knock from now on before entering the room. Also, if you have a lock on your door, remember to use it lol my 4 yr old has caught my fiance and I going at it and we tried to play it off as if we were having “grown up only play time”.

I wouldn’t say anything unless she asks, but if she does, just say it’s a grown up thing and she’ll understand when she’s older or something.

2 Likes

If she brings it up just say it’s what grown ups do when they love each other like daddy and I

2 Likes

I don’t know if I agree with all these comments. I mean she’s five my boys are 6 and they literally think sex is kissing. I’m okay with that. My boys are twins and they have walked in on us I just don’t see the point you know what I’m saying why explain that to them they’re still kids. Can we just let kids be kids??? Sexual education is important however I’m just looking at the age here and she’s five and she’s not going to be alone with a boy for a really long time I just wouldn’t go into describing it personally or even saying what you were doing. I would leave it at Mommy and Daddy were playing.

6 Likes

She will probably forget about it unless she is like my 4 yr old and remembers EVERYTHING… just be honest but dont go into detail some kids have a better understanding than most

In these awkward times, after they ask you what you were doing, turn it around to them and ask what do you think we were doing. And then go from there. Some kids are more mature or savvy at different ages. Your kid might say it looked like a wierd dance or flat out say it looked like the people on tv…but they will tell you where they are at. You don’t want to be more explicit than required…they might not be ready

54 Likes

I mean at that age I already knew what penises and vaginas were and I knew what my period was going to be eventually and how babies were made. I was a well informed kid, but I was also kind of mature for my age. My mom told me that they have private time to do what adults who are married do.

3 Likes

Just tell her that you and dad were having mom and daddy time/cuddles. That only wife and husband should because you love each other lol. That what I told my kids.its truth but no details lol.

117 Likes

Be honest. Mommy and daddy express love in physical ways. When she asks a question, ask what she thinks. Then piggy back off of her response. Don’t lie! If you feel she’s not mature enough to know certain details, tell her you will explain when she’s older. Then you can talk about how the two of you fell in love. Dates you went on, romantic times, etc. The most important thing to take away is for her to trust you. It might be time to have the talk with her. 6 is not too young. Lots of hugs and blessings!!

5 Likes

We are honest we our kiddos, if they ask. We have 3 in the home, they have all walked on us, once the thought we were playing and dog piled up. Our oldest is disabled he thinks he is saving me, “he is Mama’s hero”
We decided the truth was easier, than laster explains we lied too them, when we tell them lieing is bad.

7 Likes

My parents said they were wrestling lol now I don’t know if they were doing the deed or in fact wrestling I don’t remember lol…but if our son caught us I would just say that’s something that mommies and daddies do some times :woman_shrugging::joy:

5 Likes

If they ask additional questions, answer honestly. We were enjoying some special mommy/daddy time.

Usually, a quick and to the point answer will suffice, and it’s a building block to more questions and conversations in the future. Start with a lie now, and as they grow up, they’ll learn NOT to come to you with questions because you aren’t truthful.

It’s a slippery slope

6 Likes

Maybe just tell her mommy and daddy were just goofing around kind of like play fighting and daddy grab me in a big bear hug and I was making noise because I was laughing and we were having fun maybe that will work LOL sorry that happened to you I would be dying I was always scared my son would walk in on me

I’ve known what sex was since I was just under 4…my best friend and I both had just gotten little brothers and she shared with me how it happen :woman_shrugging: I spent the next 7ish years trying to get my mom to tell me about sex so I could ask her questions without betraying my friend and the other people I had heard about it from. My oldest is only 2 but I’d be honest.

2 Likes

Do not say you were wrestling. That opens other doors. I didn’t touch anyone even just playing after I walked in on my parents and that’s what they told me. I was the same age and thought that is what could happen when wrestling. It will just confuse them more. Just be honest but explain it in a way that isn’t super graphic. I WISH my parents would have just done that. Best of luck!!

21 Likes

If she doesn’t mention it I wouldn’t bring it up I think 6 is a little to young for knowing about sex. But do what you feel best for your child.

7 Likes