My 7-month-old bites during nursing: Advice?

My 7 month old daughter has cut both front bottom teeth and is still teething like crazy. Since cutting teeth she has taken up the habit of biting while nursing. She will be nursing perfectly fine then chomp down so hard that she draws blood. I hate the thought of switching her to bottles but my poor nipples are bruised, raw, and scabbed. What can I do to teach her better nursing etiquette and curb her biting.

5 Likes

Have you tried using the shields?

Ive heard to unlatch. Wait a few minutes and try again. Eventually they get that its not.ok.

1 Like

I was told by a LC if baby bites to take baby off when they bite.

2 Likes

My doc told me give her lil flick on the nose (not to hard of course) just to let her know it’s a no no when she does it.

9 Likes

Use shields while your nipples heal.
Unlatch. Say no, and dont put bub back on for a few minutes.
Sometimes they just need to learn a new way to latch. Watch when they’re feeding because more often than not you can see when they are about to chomp down as they start to draw back.
Also stay on top of teething, so even using bonjela or something on gums before hand to soothe them more before feeding could help.

2 Likes

Moment she bites unlatch and say oww . wait a minute or two then try again

1 Like

My almost 8 month old does the same thing WHEN HE IS TEETHING. His gums hurts, he find comfort in nursing. So he trie to chew on my nipples. I take them away for a minute then give them back. Also try a nipple shield, it protects your nipples while they heal and also makes it where LO cant chomp down so bad

My son did this. I just pulled him away, looked him in his eyes and said in a very serious tone “NO, you can’t bite, that hurts mommy.” I’d wait a few minutes and then, reluctantly of course, let him nurse again. It took about a week and he finally stopped. Fast forward to him at 15 months with a whole mouthful of teeth and he’s very careful when he nurses. It’s a whole new level of trust after they start biting, isn’t it :joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

I wish I could help but I bottled my son(s)

My son got scared when I jumped and yelled Oww. He would usually unlatch himself and cry. So that solves that. I just had to say oww.

1 Like

My son would do that. So when he would bite, I unlatch and firmly say “no”. After the second time he learned not to do it. He would get sad for a minute but it worked. I still nurse him and he is 14 months old.

Do not hit or flick or cover the baby’s nose. You don’t want them to associate nursing with pain. Babies cannot bite if they are properly latched, so you should watch her at all times for signs of letting go. If she is clamping down, immediately slide your pinky into her mouth to unlatch her, firmly say “Ouch, no biting.” and put her on the floor. Eventually she will catch on. If I bite mommy I won’t get any milk. And try not to scream, as hard as it may be because they may think it’s a game and do it for a reaction.

7 Likes

I would flick their leg not hard but enough to get attention take the boob away say OUTCH NO NO and sit them down and walk away . It took a few times but it got better he nursed until 2

3 Likes

I wouldn’t flick them on the nose as that could cause injury their a human not a bear cub. I do agree with unlatching saying no firmly then try again. It worked repeatedly

2 Likes

I would yelp OW and unlatch. If he does it again, then I would stop the nursing session.

My baby has done this a couple times recently, she is 9.5 months. I unlatched her and said ‘no’ and touched her on the nose. She cried both times so I think she knew from my tone that she’d done wrong, lol.

3 Likes

Unlatch everytime. Wait a minute before relatching. My mom said she would flick my brothers foot. But, thus far, with my 9 month old who just started this, unlatching has worked for us.

1 Like

Some thing is happening with my 6 month old. I unlatch him and tell him “no no no bite.” Wait then put him back on. The second time he does it I don’t put him back on.

1 Like

If a baby is latched on correctly they can’t bite because of where their tongue is, so your baby might be unlatching quickly and biting (which sucks). Nothing wrong with pumping and trying bottles or just taking the baby off the breast for a few minutes and saying no firmly. I wouldn’t punish them any other way because they might not want to nurse if they keep getting punished.

1 Like

My 11 month old does this, despite taking him off and not feeding for a few minutes… He now does it and smiles… Cheeky little bugger. I feel your pain.

Best thing to do is break the latch immediately when she bites and cut her off for a couple minutes. Even shout “ow!” She’ll learn she can’t do that. Don’t give up nursing. I breastfed 3 babies until around 3 years old with full baby teeth. It was fine once I taught them they can’t bite.

2 Likes

My mom nursed 4 out of 5 children a nd would wet nurse for the local hospitals when ever she was nursing a little one.mom said that we babies would bite her nipples and she would tap us on our chubby cheeks and tell us no and we would stop bitting.

1 Like

Thicker nipple shields

Ummm stop breast feeding a 7 month old…? :woman_shrugging:

9 Likes

:wave::wave::wave:
My advice is to Control the Teething.

• Cold fruit
  • Jello
  • Popsicles
  • Infant Tylenol
    Hopefully will not feel the urge to bite down when baby is really just thirsty.
1 Like

Unlatch tell her no and put her down she will get the message quick that when she bites the boob gets taken

Start giving her food

With my first I would say ow and unlatch. My second hasn’t gotten any teeth yet.

Mine did the same. I figured out that she was doing it because she was done nursing and bored, so I watched closely and if she paused her nursing about the time she would be finishing up, I would unlatch her. She only got to do it twice before I was able to prevent it, but I had read advice previously on how to handle it so until I figured out why and how to prevent it, I would say “no biting!” and put her down, make her wait a few minutes and then let her nurse again. It teaches them that if they bite, they lose the milk. Yes, they’re young but they’re smart, so they figure it out pretty quickly from what I understand.

2 Likes

Bottle time. That’s all.

1 Like

When my oldest bit me I tapped his cheek just hard enough that he didn’t like it and told him no sternly, he never bit me again

I think it’s time to bottle feed, and I hope you don’t feel guilty about it. Obviously it’s what’s best for both you and the little one.

5 Likes

Babies are very in-tune with their mommies. As soon as the baby bites, detach, tell him ‘No’ firmly, and set him down. Stop the feeding and only continue after 5-10 mins. You are clearly setting boundaries, and even as young as he is, he will understand if he does that, then no dinner for him. Also, only you can decide if it’s time to bottle feed, or continue breastfeeding. You know how you feel, no one else.

2 Likes

I’m appalled at people telling you to yell at and smack your baby! She’s not a puppy, and you shouldn’t smack a puppy either. It’s probably just time to pump and bottle feed. Ask her pediatrician. That’s who will give the right advice.

3 Likes

When she bites, detatch her immediately, look at her, and say a firm, “No.” As Wanda said above, it well take a few tries, but she’ll get the hint if she doesn’t want her dinner interrupted.

8 Likes

I removed my son and put him on the floor and would say no. He got the message quickly. 19 months still breast feeding at night and when ill.

2 Likes

She bites, smack her butt (just rattle her diaper to get her attention, I’m not talking about hurting her, just surprising her) and stop the nursing right then. You’ll have to do it 3-4 times. But you have to be consistent. She bites, no more nipple.

4 Likes

90% of the advice here is garbage.

My 6mo will bite but it’s like she zones out and that’s when she does it. So it’s like she doesnt realize she’s even doing it until I yelp in pain. I just tell her no bite semi stern and take the nipple away for a second. Then if I give it to her again and she bites a second time then just be done with that feeding. Sounds like if it’s that bad then the baby is wanting to use the new chompers get some of those mesh things and put some food in it for baby to chew on.

1 Like

You can still pump the milk and put in in a bottle of you still want your child to drink breast milk.

2 Likes

Pump and bottle feed. When she looks at you like you are crazy tell her she can’t bite.

1 Like

Switch to a bottle, just pump and put milk in the bottle. Problem solved!!!

3 Likes

I think it’s time to switch to bottles.

2 Likes

I stopped when I got bit. Sorry

3 Likes

DO NOT take advice from morons on the internet suggesting you hit your baby😡