My 9-month-old does not belly laugh...advice?

My 9 month old doesn’t belly laugh , you can tell he wants to but he just holds it in ? I guess. That’s what it looks like. Has anyone ever experienced this. ?He’s my 3rd and by this age with my other two they were laughing.

9 Likes

My son is almost 7 months and just started to giggle it’s short and sweet I’m looking forward to belly laughs but in his own time. He gives big smiles and makes lots of noise. Just give him time.

My third does the same. Holds it in especially around other people. She’ll giggle but nit belly laugh really. Just give it time.

Maybe he hasn’t found anything funny enough lol

When something is really, really funny… he will gut roll laugh lol

Each baby grows and develops at their own rate, has their own personality… does he smile? Does he recognize mom? Does he sit up by himself? Is he otherwise healthy, happy, and hitting most milestones? Look at the bigger picture. My guess is he is just fine :slightly_smiling_face:

My son didn’t till about 13 months. My daughters laughed right away. He would have the biggest smile, but no laughter/sound. Nothing wrong with him, just that all kiddos are different:)

Mine is 9 months an he don’t laugh at all :joy::person_facepalming: he will give a big smile an if I catch him at the right time an tickle the right spot he will giggle. But other than that he just won’t do it. I always joke an say he has two moods. He is either really pissed off ( his whole body turns red) or he is really happy ( smiles at just the dogs coming into my room) every once in awhile I’ll get him to belly laugh.

My now 2 year old was that same way… I could barely get any laugh out of her. It’s totally normal. Every child is different. Now she laughs her head off, it’s so cute.

My niece is like this. She will laugh but hardly ever belly laughs or gets hysterical

My one year old is also my third and he doesn’t have a loud giggle like that, like my first two did. He has started to laugh more now, but it still isn’t a loud belly laugh. :woman_shrugging: Not sure if there’s a reason for it or if it’s just normal and all kids are different.

Seriously!! :woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2:

Maybe it’s signs of Autistic?

Mine wasnt much of a laugher, so I found compilations of babies laughing on YouTube and let him watch it.
He started laughing after a day or two :joy:

4 Likes

Maybe he has a darker sense of humor… :joy:

1 Like

My daughter is 7 months and it takes ALOT to get her to belly laugh…she smiles like crazy…giggles a little bit but hasn’t full on laughed yet

My youngest has never fully gut rolled like my others and he’s a year today. He just kind of “giggles” it makes me sad because i loooove baby gut rolls, but honestly he’s just kinda a more serious baby all around than his sisters.

1 Like

All kids are different! Let him be who he is- if you are really worried- contact a early childhood developmental program to ensure he’s reaching his milestones. Enjoy him! :grin::gift_heart:

1 Like

Maybe she needs a more sophisticated sense of humor than you have to offer her

Maybe he doesn’t think you’re funny?? Lol
Different kids, different personalities

2 Likes

Maybe he just doesn’t think you’re that funny :laughing:

There is some deep psychology when it comes to interactional differences between siblings comparing boys and girls and their interactions between fathers and mothers. So a personal question is has the father been around the whole time for all three kids and have both the mother and father interactions been the same for all three kids. If so then this factor can possibly be discarded as it is not applicable. Studies have shown parental interactions between mothers and fathers have a direct association with children’s expressions which would include laughing and deep laughter such as this. I hope my comment doesn’t come off too critical, sensitive, or personal as I know it could, but when I saw this it was the first thing I thought of as a new study I recently saw that would be a off the path not common idea. But I’m sure other common comments are more applicable. I just thought I would take the time to mention it as I found it to be an interesting study. I also think 9 months is too early to worry. All kids have different personalities which makes them precious. And they develop at different rates.

Can’t compare kids to each other, they are all different. Just cuz one does something at a certain point doesn’t mean others will.

6 Likes

Maybe you just aren’t funny? No I’m completely kidding. I know plenty of kids that don’t belly laugh and just kind of give a chuckle. 

1 Like

Maybe he don’t think your funny

2 Likes

Maybe nothings been funny to him yet.

37 Likes

Y’all need to leave them babies alone.
They’re not all going to be the same.
Stop looking for issues that aren’t there.

2 Likes

Maybe you just aren’t funny!