My 9-month-old still wakes up in the middle of the night...advice?

Moms I need some advice my almost 9 month old son still wakes up in the middle of the night 1-2 times for a bottle he doesn’t drink the whole bottle pretty much just wants to suck on it he will not take a binky ever since he came home from the hospital he refuses it and his night time bottle he gets cereal in it. We do co sleep not sure if that’s another reason I am just having a hard time putting him back in his crib I am so use to him cuddling with me all night I don’t want to give it up lol. Now my daughter by a month old she was sleeping through the night and in her crib I never co slept with her because she was such a good sleeper at night. Any advice will help thank you

9 Likes

My twins are two and still wake up once a night

My two and three-year-old still wake up at least once. It’s normal. 

I think it’s pretty normal. Each child is different. My son has never slept through the night. He’s 4 now and still wakes up every night (he just knows not to get me up with him anymore) lol.

2 Likes

This is exceptionally normal.

1 Like

Many people wake during the night or their sleep session. Even adults do.

My daughter never slept through the night until she was three years old. Every baby is different. I know that isn’t much help, but this too shall pass. I remember being so tired…. Now she is graduating high school and I wish I could have some of those little years back. I know that’s not helpful

My 2 year old still does this :woman_shrugging:. It’s a comfort thing. I will be taking it away this summer, when I can afford to loose sleep. Lmao

This is very normal.
I have 4 kids. Every single one of them have had different sleeping habits. He will outgrow it eventually.

2 Likes

Babies aren’t meant to sleep the whole night. I don’t understand why people think they should. Their stomachs are too small and need to feed often, which is going to wake them up.

Look into sleep regressions as well.

8 Likes

Give him a little bit of water in a bottle when he wakes up if he’s just trying to sooth himself give him formula/milk will cause bottle rot

2 Likes

He 9 months not sleeping through is a normal thing babys will find their own routine and each child is different some takes weeks months or even years to get a routine xx

1 Like

I have a six year old that still wakes up in the middle of the night lol. But, she is spoiled. Your’s might be having a growth spurt. They tend to wake up hungry in the middle of the night. I used to put baby cereal in their last bottle before bedtime. It helped keep them full.

1 Like

Some kids just wake up like that . Don’t think it has anything to do with sleeping in your bed . My grandchild is 2.5 and she is up 2 to 4 times a night and always has been .

That’s pretty normal for babies

As long as they’re in diapers they’re gonna wake up…and even after

2 Likes

I didn’t think you should put cereal in bottles anymore and most kids wake up once or twice at night until 3 or 4
Just give him less milk it’s probably a comfort thing and needing a change

Mine turned 2 in December and just started sleeping through the night in the last few months. From roughly 14 months on, she had one wakeup most nights.
I think this is, for the most part, one of those “every child is different” things.

All children are different. My one child never slept through the night until he was probably three or four. 

My girl is 16 months and does the same thing. It’s rough. Lol.

I have a three year old grandson and he still doesn’t sleep through the night. I don’t think that a nine month old waking up through the night is a big issue

10 Likes

Give him real food before bed. Keeps him full longer

1 Like

Babies wake up in the middle of the night, that’s normal and I don’t think you can compare to your one month old that will definitely be waking up in the middle of the night in the future :sweat_smile::roll_eyes:

3 Likes

My 2 year old still wakes up once in the middle of the night 90% of nights.
I think of how often I randomly wake up (thirsty/hot/cold/bathroom trip)… and assume it’s pretty normal.

I had to start feeding my son when he was 5 mnths old because the bottle wasn’t enough for him. He started sleeping through the night when I did that. But my daughter was 3 years old before she started sleeping through the night. I’m sure it just depends on the child. And how their inner clock works.

1 Like

My youngest is 2, she still wakes at night. It’s normal.

Babies are meant to sleep through the night

No cereal in the bottle. Only in a bowl. And he’s old enough for regular food. He might be hungry.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what they’re suppose to do? Lol

Don’t turn on lights and let him comfort himself

Mine just turned 4 and still wake up once or twice in the night, pretty normal for a baby to wake up a few times

Normal. Also around 8 to 10 months kids start sleep regression. All you really can do is power though and know it won’t last forever

1 Like

Mine sleeps from 10 to 3 am and wants some type of comfort to sleep. Sometimes he’s hungry again. I think it’s normal to want a kid sleep through the whole night but it’s also normal for wakeups. I have 3. Daughter slept through the whole night from age 9 months and up, my 2 year old didn’t sleep for crap. His bedtime is 8 and he stays up til 12. It really just depends

1 Like

He’s only o months ots completely normal & just because his sister does doesn’t mean he has to ir even will u can’t force or demand it welcome to motherhood lol

My daughter was 6 when she stopped, my son doesn’t sleep :woman_facepalming:

It’s normal trust me my 9 year old still wakes up.

2 Likes

Turn them over and cover them up

Think you answered your own question

I mean 9 months old sorry

Cereal actually does nothing.

First, cereal in a bottle is a choking hazard & not recommended. Second, it is biologically normal for babies to to wake up. I still wake up in the middle of the night for a drink or to use the bathroom. It’s pretty unrealistic to have a baby sleeping through the night.

Could be sleep regression. Mine slept through the night at four months but that only lasted a month or two and then he was up for another month or two then he got semi normal. Overnight diapers helped.

9 month old only waking 2 times at night. Very normal. I wouldn’t recommend rice cereal and especially not in a bottle. Sounds like you answered your own question of what you don’t want to give up. Your instinct is never wrong. Empowered Moms of Littles has helpful tips for baby and toddler sleep and feeding