My almost 1-year-old is not meeting his speech milestones: Advice?

My daughter was advanced in the talking area but regardless I second teaching them basic sign language. It’s easy to understand and the hand movements make it fun. Once they do learn how to talk they get frustrated because you dont understand everything they say. Sign language will help

2 Likes

He will do it in his own time. At his age he wants to explore and move so instead of stressing over books maybe songs and dancing may be more his thing. My three kids loved singing and dancing my now two year old son loves the song twinkle twinkle little star and he learnt to sing that before he really spoke words. Also with my kids I just spoke to them constantly and always told them what things were and what I was doing with them. They will pick up and use speech the more you talk to them. Honestly I wouldn’t start worrying until he is atleast 2 .

My son is 20 months and has only just started saying words this month. No, Ta, Mumma, Ball. He would babble before but no words and no new words are coming every day. All children develope at different rates xx

My lil boy is almost 3 and the only words he learns are the one’s he wants to learn :joy: just let your kid learn at their own pace. YouTube Kids helps a lot, my lil one at 3 knows all his numbers and letters, and sentences are slowly just now starting. But he knows things like juice, and outside - your kiddo will pick up on the words they really wanna use. As your child grows and gets more exposed to other talking children, you’ll see them pick it up eventually. It’s very unlikely he’s gonna turn 10 and never speak a sentence, give it time sweety.

2 Likes

Mine is almost 2, has not said any words besides mama but doesnt connect that to me. He babbles and yells. The docs said they will see how he does at his 2 year appointment! They’re not worried yet.

My second son wasn’t a talker but talks fine now we use to take walks and drive around and talk about what we saw along the way and he really opened up with his speech plus he loves animal sounds and making sound effects from movies he even acts it out which improved his speech as well. Every child is different and milestone should be flexible don’t be to worry im sure he will be blooming into a talkive child soon.

My daughter’s doctor didn’t ask if she was pointing at things until her 18 month checkup. No two doctors will tell you the same thing… I’ve experienced this as I went through 4 different doctors til I found one I like. So don’t stress it if he’s not meeting one person’s expectations. As for the talking, all my nieces and nephews as well as my daughter didn’t really say much until about 18 months… and now we can’t get most of them quiet regardless of bribes :joy:

2 Likes

Both my girls were late talkers. My youngest is 20 months amd only says 3 words. My olderst was the same way
But now she is 4 and talks all day, and is learning to read. They will talk in their own time.

My son was very quiet, minimal speech until about 18 months old, he started slowly, now you can’t shut him up. He also turned out to be super intelligent, don’t push it, he will talk when he is ready.

Every child is different. Let him move at his own pace. If you are really worried about him, have him tested for autism.

My son had to go to speech therapy aged 4 because he still wasn’t talking, everything always got put down to the fact that he was 11 weeks premature. He is now 6 years old and is never ever quiet from the second he opens his eyes until he goes to bed, he even talks in his sleep :see_no_evil::joy::joy::joy:

Little boys often hit that milestone later than girls.
Mine said maybe mama and dada. And that wasn’t often. Were at a 1yr8m and HE CHITTER CHATTERS AND BABBLES ALLLLL DAY.
He might be saying nothing and the next day surprise you with some words. As long as he’s making the appropriate sounds or trying to communicate somehow I think you’re good doll.

1 Like

He’s not even 1 yet give it time both my girls didn’t start till about 14months. Don’t compare children to each other they all do it in their own time

1 Like

maybe he has a hearing problem, and that can be caused by fluid build up such as in allergies or asthma.

My son wasn’t really a talker either, hit most milestones later, he wasn’t even eating solids at 1 year old yet (only nursed, but was also chunky and healthy :joy:). Meanwhile my daughter was very advanced, walking and talking at 10 months. Having her hit these milestones so early made me a bit worried about.my son, but he was/is fine and they all develop at their own pace :slight_smile:
Just talk to him and keep doing what you’re doing and he’ll get there :blush:

My son will be three next month and he started talking 6 months ago… kids develop diffently… Screw the pediatrician

Don’t stress. Just have fun and enjoy this age. Every child learns differently, my 2 kids certainly have. His time will come.

My son will be turning 2 at the end of September and he is finally starting ti repeat things. My daughters were talking machines by the age of 2. Ive noticed my son doing things later then my girls.

Exactly what everyone is saying honestly. You sound like you are doing everything right. He doesn’t sound like he’s behind at all. I honestly wouldn’t stress over it. BUT with that being said there are interactive speech therapy apps that maybe will hold his attention. My speech therapist for my son (he’s 5 and is behind in speech) told us not to focus on words when he was younger but to focus on sounds and eventually it will fall together. So for instance “Ball” don’t try getting him to say ball right away. Just focus on the main consonant BUH BUH BUH BUH. Focus on short words first that would be easy to say and repeat everything you say to him in simple terms. If he’s looking for a snack or food say “snack? Snack? You want a snack?” pretty much every time you communicate with him or hand something to him. He will catch on I promise and there’s no need to rush it at all. Those are just suggestions if you’re really concerned but I feel he’s too young yet to have any major worries. Many kids at that age don’t say their first word.

All babies learn at a different pace. As long as they are learning and healthy and happy!

We use this app called speech Blubs it’s great. Helped my oldest start making more sounds and now words.

My son is almost 2 (was also a premie ) and hasn’t reached his. My daughter didn’t really start talking till she was 3-3.5 :woman_shrugging:t2: they learn on there own time.

My son was the same xx I was tearing my hair out xx he started talking properly at 3 xx he was more interested in working out things worked xx my daughter was talking at 1 xx they do it when they’re ready XX he’s 8 now and meeting his milestones xx

Patience and never give up… When ur little 1 is ready they will talk until then just be patient mom…

My 11 month old is doing the same thing!!! I could’ve written this post with how alike the situations are!

Maybe try to use American sign language. Often it helps them to develop better

They don’t need 6 words by one year maybe by 18 months

Children develop at there own pace.

And keep reading momma. Mine just got to where he will point and say ‘EHH?!’ at the pictures in the book

Not every kid develops at the same rate. Don’t sweat it.

He’s likely fine. He’s just developing in other places first. He’ll get there and then you can’t shut them up about whatever video game they’re playing lol

He’s a boy. He’s 1. Trust me, it wont be long until you miss the time before he could talk!!:grin:

1 Like

Read to him everyday and talk to him alot. Have his hearing checked too!

If hes not even 1 i wouldnt worry yet. All kids are different.

Jack Hartmann in YouTube. They learn and have fun. My kids love it

Your child will speak when ready :slight_smile:

Your over thinking it he will catch up some kids just take there time

He will do it in his own time

Also I’ll add, I love my What to Expect: Toddler Edition. It gives necessary milestones(it’ll say if they haven’t hit this milestone consult pediatrician) possible milestones, and advance milestones for each month.
Ex. Should be eating with hands and stacking blocks
May can drink from a cup, say 5 words
Might say 10 words and follow a basic order

I love it, helps me feel a lil less anxious with my boogers development.

1 Like

Milestones are the enemy. Ignore them. They’re ridiculous gauges of intelligence that fits all kids in one box and if your child doesn’t meet those requirements then you feel as if you birthed an idiot or you’re failing your child. You didn’t, and you’re not. Your child will learn at his or her own pace and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Believe me, as a mom of teenage boys, he will talk. You will also regret teaching him to talk at least 5+ times a day. Enjoy letting him be him and please don’t put ridiculous requirements on his ever developing mind. You’re doing great mom, and so is he🤗

Call early intervention.

Maam give it a chance good lord kids are differentmine did not talk a lot until 2 shes grown now and successful

The normal requirement it one word by one if he says dada then he is on par with his peers. Make sure as you do things you just keep talking to him. Like I am changing your diaper right now. Ummmy let have lunch, if they are awake you talk with them they will start talking back

My son is 1 on the 1st of aug and only says dad, bub and mum (only when he cries with mum) every baby is different :grin::grin::grin::grin: don’t stress too much, he will wake up one day and he won’t stop talking :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

I was told that by tending to my almost 2 year old almost at command, I wasn’t giving her a reason to try and talk. It was when I gave her more space to be by herself was when she started using more hand gestures and asking for things I would normally just give to her.

She also watches Super Simple Songs, Cocomelon, and Mothergoose Club on Youtube. I think sometimes they learn to talk from other kids more than from us adults

My b/g twins just turned a year old & pretty much everything you’re saying matches my son as well. My daughter is definitely a little tiny bit ahead (walks better, points, says more words) but my son does not point. He only says mama, dada, pupup (our dogs name) and that’s it. Their pediatrician says they’re exactly where they’re supposed to be. Either your pediatrician is pushy or maybe mine is wrong? Idk but seems completely normal to me. My sons developed at a great pace and walks around a lot. He’s very active as well and doesn’t talk with words (besides 3) but is super vocal. (Screams, yells, talks a lot of gibberish) I wouldn’t worry too much mama

My niece just turned 3, she started talking probably 6 months before then, you cannot tell that she was a late talker. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

My grand daughter is almost 2 and just very recently started saying about 10 words clearly …her favorite phrase is …et e ouuuttt…(let me out) when she want out of her car seat or highchair ,she says food,jink (drink),no,and dop it, and she’s been in speech therapy for 6 months … It will come when they are ready.

My youngest ended up in Speech Therapy because he refused to use words since his big brother could talk “for” him. :confused: Being speech delayed is not a bad thing, and my kiddo is now a chatterbox. (I can understand 85-95% of what he says now.) He was doing Speech therapy for about 2 years. We are taking a break from it right now, and he’s 4. So I know it’s difficult. Got him assessed, turns out he is on the autism spectrum. He is on the part of the spectrum where it isn’t always easy tell he is autistic, but the speech delay was a huge indicator. Might want to see if your kiddo needs additional therapy for speech. Speech therapists can be very helpful with ideas that could benefit your family. Also, you could see if your kid reacts to sign language as an intermediate form of communication. (Some things, like hunger/more/all done, were recommended when my kiddo was first learning from the speech therapist.)

Every child is different, these milestones are crazy to have. Go at his pace he’ll be throwing sentences at you in no time and asking a bunch of questions. Your doing everything right to help him just dont stress or feel like something is wrong with him or that your failing because your not.

I have twins and they never spoke a word till they were 3 give him time he will surprise you I believe kids choose their own time just keep up the good work your doing and don’t worry I have been very surprised that my boy’s are now 6abd doing well in speaking and math is their subject they are already learning multiplication in the first grade

Try not to worry too much. My daughter didn’t start talking until she was closer to 3yrs old. She now talks a mile a minute at 4yo. Give him time.

When he wants something ask him to use his words or have him repeat after you. All kids catch on and they all have there own time line. Dont get overly worried about it.

I have three kids and they all talked at different ages…give him some time he will talk when he’s ready… my girls talked way before my son… boys are stubborn lol… no worries momma he’s doing just fine

My son is almost 2 and doesn’t know a lot of words still he can speak a little but not much.

Play some children’s music when he is playing,don’t pressure him,relax and enjoy,treasure him,once he starts talking you will forget these worries.

Look up signing time. It teaches sign language. By the time my daughter would master the sign, she could say the word too. Worked wonders!

every kidsl is different yes, but most kids talk with knowledge of what they’re saying at 12 to 14 months like mama dada but some babies just dont want to. my middle son didnt speak for awhile he learned basic sign. then started talking at like 16 17 months

My child is 1 and doesn’t say anything he’s still a baby. There’s no need to push him to speak. Your pedi is kinda a dick to put speaking milestones on an infant.

Hi. our son was almost 2 before he started using other words , he understood everything but did not talk much at all …Then one day after 2 yrs he just started putting sentences together.He is also very active …Every child is different