My almost 4 year old has a habit of breaking expensive things: Advice?

Maybe don’t let a 4 year old have your cell phone

3 Likes

My husband and I do not allow our kids to have our phones or have toys in the living room or our bedroom. (and they have never broke our phones or tvs) Those have always been our rules. Set boundaries and have rules that need to be followed is my advice. Also, always follow through with what you say and discipline if he doesn’t listen.
…and you are way too lenient not harsh enough…that is the problem.

14 Likes

I understand you sat him down and talked to him now…what consequences did he get at the time of the incident?? If he didn’t get anything done(time-out, spanking, scolding, etc…) then he’s not really getting punished for breaking all these things. Also, give him consequences for throwing things inside the house, every time he does it! If he gets punished every time he throws something inside, he’ll stop doing it.

9 Likes

Breaking a tv that size should be traumatizing…esp after numerous other expensive items! I feel the problem these days is kids dont have any fear of their parents. I’ll tell u what, if I broke my parents tv at ANY age(even now!)…I’d be terrifieddddddd!!!
I wouldnt allow him to watch tv or play with phones anymore until he understands throwing things isnt an option. At 4 years old he knows better, he just doesnt seem to care.

16 Likes

The cells phones is a hard one…they sound like accidents. You just need to get better cases or don’t let him use them lol. But the TVs…those are in purpose and e knows better. Toys should not be thrown especially in the house for any reason. Things break and people can get hurt. Anytime he throws a toy he should be disciplined (toy taken away or time out for 2-3 minutes…etc) he knows better.

4 Likes

U have to be firm and consistent. He has to have boundaries and learn acceptable behavior . Others will label him difficult or destructive and that will follow him. It’s not easy but it’s up to y’all to guide him.

1 Like

That’s pretty serious in my opinion. I understand a phone or 2 but 5 broken things is excessive. I have a 3 1/2 year old and he hasn’t thrown anything at something expensive and breakable. But if he was to do so, he would get a hand to his backside🤷🏾‍♀️

16 Likes

Honestly beyond what you’ve already done I would just invest in insurance in the next phones/tv you get if you haven’t already. If he’s not being malicious I’m not sure there’s anything else you can do :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

I think at that age kids don’t have a concept of what the devices and TVs are, or how delicate they are. I remember as a kid seeing something on TV that scared and upset me, so I threw something at what was scaring me. The old old 1960’s sets with big tubes inside…it imploded with a shocking noise and weird dust rose up. Our family didn’t have a TV for years after that, and surprisingly I don’t remember being disciplined for it. I don’t think anyone missed the TV much. My siblings and I spent our childhoods largely outside anyway.

He has to be taught not to throw things, if he has been taught that then he needs a timeout. He isn’t careful enough with phones do not let him use them at all anymore. Daily reminders things break easy and you not play inside like you do outside

8 Likes

We put a piece of plexiglass over TV and has saved it many times.

1 Like

Screen protectors for phones and t.v. also teach not to throw things? Old Box tvs dont break as fast as flat screens only use flat screen in a room where he don’t go.

I’m the type of parent I believe in spankings but not so hard it traumatizes them but where they know not to do it again and time outs it’s hard and I hate to do it but sometimes it just has to be done

2 Likes

I would have him give up a bunch of toys and start doing chores. I would also pay him for the chores but let him know the money is not for him, it’s to give to dad to buy the new tv.

1 Like

At 4 they are old enough to understand to not throw toys. My 4 year old knows not to and she knows if she does she will get in trouble. We also have a rule that she is not to touch the tv. Accidents do happen but he needs to understand that some actions have consequences.

2 Likes

You did the right thing if he breaks anything else take his favorite toy away from him for a week or until he stop breaking things

4years old he will start listening to you! You tell him no sturnly he’s way old enough to listen and start behaving like a toddler he’s not a baby anymore don’t touch my things don’t break my things how would he like it if you break his toy! He knows don’t allow anymore! Stop it now he goes to school next year teachers aren’t gonna like it if he’s throwing things in the classroom and something’s hurting other kids! Just raise your voice take away whatever he’s throwing and put it away! As far as your phone it’s mommys don’t touch it!

This child knows what’s valuable to you and what gets your attention!
Four year olds do not understand much “talk…” they do understand consequences, punishment, removing privileges and establishing boundaries.
Make rules and enforce your yes & no!

2 Likes

You need to put protective cases and glass on your phones and eletronics

First off, phones need cases and aren’t for kids to play with. As for the rest I think you are doing the best you can but you need room rules/boundaries. He also needs to know you dont throw things in the house (unless they are meant to be thrown like small soft toys). Are you securing your TVs? Or are they in a position to fall and break? Is he getting enough outdoor play? Aside from that I dont have any other suggestions outside of a couple pats on his rear.

At his age he doesn’t need to be handling electronics like cell phones. Also he needs to have any toys which he might toss or throw kept in his room or a playroom with no TV! The toys which he threw and broke the TVs with should disappear and not come back. Anything which is thrown indoors must be taken from him. He’s obviously not mature enough yet to handle them properly.

1 Like

I’d whoop that ass!!! He is plenty old enough to know better. The flip side could be he doesnt get the attention he needs. Kids prefer bad attention over no attention. Less screen time. Nobody needs television that big. Play with your child!

1 Like

I’m going through almost the same thing,My child also breaks things as if it’s nothing but for now she broke my eye glasses.Im nothing without it.Im a single parent,so it’s not so easy to replace overnight At times, when I see her with the glasses that I’m wearing now which is old, I just start to scream in shock without thinking first.You seem so calm and laid-back.He needs to be punished but I know he didn’t mean it,But you do have to set the rules or get rid of Buzz.Try to cover the phone s since the latest phones are fragile.

My own opinion ( and research supports this) is that kids that young should not have access to phones and much technology. My grandkids aren’t allowed that and they are rambunctious but they don’t get the opportunity to break phones because they aren’t allowed to use them for anything.

3 Likes

4 years old is old enough to be able to understand not be throwing toys. Sure, you spoke to him about the issues but unless you did something when the issue happened, he’s not going to understand he did something wrong. He only understands he’s losing his show time and his toys. Phones seem like they’re simply not in cases so it’s likely they would’ve been broken regardless by who it was. TV’s are intentional.

1 Like