My almost 4 year old has a habit of breaking expensive things: Advice?

Hello mamas! I’m hoping to gain some insight. I have an almost 4-year-old son who, in the last year and a half, has broken 3 of our cellphones, one 50in LG TV and one 60in LG smart TV. The 60in was this morning. Unfortunately, he does this stuff without any warning at all, and he doesn’t do it to be malicious, he just gets excited. Both TVs were broken by him throwing buzz lightyear or woody at the TVs. One cellphone he went to grab it off a nightstand and dropped it, one cellphone he was watching the PBS kids app and broke it (not sure whether he dropped it or what, he found the cracked screen later, and the other phone he dropped it on the floor. All of this stuff combined comes to a grand total of $2,800. We watch him always, but these things happen so suddenly that it’s hard to slap a buzz lightyear out of the air. I want to punish him in a way that won’t be traumatizing, but also help him understand that these things are fragile and are expensive. So I sat him down and talked to him about the TV this morning. I told him that dad is at work (he always says he misses him when he is gone) to make money. And these things that he is breaking are a lot of money that dad works hard for. That the TV was dads and that it’s not okay to break other people’s things. I told him that mom and dad are going to be hanging on to buzz lightyear and woody for a white because he has broken two TVs with them and that he will no longer be allowed to watch PBS kids on our phones. I also told him that in order to be able to buy daddy a new TV that he will have to give up some of his toys. Is that too harsh? I’m really at a loss here. I’m not sure how to handle the situation. I explained to him he needs to start being nicer to his toys because he is always breaking them because we are going to stop replacing them. I didn’t yell. I just sat him down and talked to him nicely. He is pretty upset, but I think it is just because he can’t get his PBS videos, and he is going to have to give up toys. (Backstory: he has a lot of toys, and with Christmas coming, I was going to try to get rid of some of them anyway. The one I’m thinking of selling is the train table that he enjoys, but it’s in his room, so he doesn’t really play with it like he does the toys in his playroom). I understand he is a little boy, and they can be destructive without realizing it, but we truly need to put an end to this because it’s not something we can keep affording. But at the same time, keep in mind he is only three years old, and although he is smart, he is also a pretty fragile little boy who aims to please and gets really sad if he thinks you’re mad at him. Any ideas, pointers, or advice? - a desperate momma

18 Likes

Tell him you love him and your teaching him that if we want nice things we have to be gentle with them.

He needs discipline. And more than no more toys. I’d spank him. Bet he never does it again. Children act like ass holes when they don’t get proper discipline. It’s not about being their friend. It’s about being a parent and knowing when to discipline.

No toys in living room for sure give him a play roim pr throw toya in his room.

4 Likes

I’d say the above sounds reasonable. And talk to him and ask him what makes him excited and if he can tell you then you can teach him to direct his excitement elsewhere

Give him a hug and a kiss and tell him how much you love him and that’s why your talking to him to teach him.

2 Likes

My question is, why was woody or buzz lightyear given back after the first tv was broken, and why continue to let a 4 year old use 1,000 dollar phones. You do realize they make tablets for toddlers, under 100 dollars if you feel he needs to use technology. It’s discipline, obviously he needs it after the 1st tv or phone. That’s a lot of money thrown away, I wouldn’t be concerned about hurting my child’s feelings. He needs to learn it’s absolutely not okay.

25 Likes

You should designate a play area for him that’s not around your “expensive” stuff cause accidents happen.

Wall mount your tvs, get the kid a tablet and no more toys in the living room if possible. Teach him not to throw his hard toys or expensive electronics that I personally wouldn’t allow him to have. Get lifeproof cases for your expensive phones. There are so many solutions that you could do to help him besides just taking away his stuff and telling him his dad has to work more because of accidents.

2 Likes

Yes…taking away what is being thrown is a good start. He needs to learn there are consequences to unacceptable behavior. Keep your phones out of his reach, I’d say also. If this continues, maybe do time-out for 3 minutes in addition to confiscating whatever is thrown.

5 Likes

My 3 year old was in that stage and I am a single mom so I understand the struggle! But when he does things like that he gets put in time out and I smack his hands! (Standing or sitting in the corner not aloud to move out of there for 20 min! And I take his favorite toys from him for a couple of days! After he gets out of time out I make him sit on my lap and we talk about the bad thing he did and I tell him that it isn’t nice to break stuff or touch stuff that isn’t yours, but I also explain to him that I still love him and I ask for a hug and a kiss and he knows that he won’t be aloud to watch or play on his tablet for a couple of days! Yes at first there was kicking and screaming when he had to go in time out but after 2 weeks of continuous times outs when he misbehaved like that he had learned to be careful with toys and he knows he isn’t aloud to touch the tv!

1 Like

Make rules about appropriate indoor play and areas in which to play and stick to them.

Maybe I’m not getting that buzz lightyear for Christmas… :thinking::thinking::thinking:

1 Like

I’d be getting a so many year warranty on all electronics or maybe homeowners insurance add them to make sure they are covered. I’d also say no toys in the living room but that doesn’t sound realistic probably take the toys he throws and keep them he can learn to earn them back.

2 Likes

No toys in the livingroom, you said he has a bedroom with toys and a play room with toys. No more viewing on expensive things like phones or tvs, get him a $90 kids tablet from walmart and make sure he only watches it under your supervision.
Don’t cave, he has 2 rooms full of toys so he doesnt have the same sense of loss when something breaks that you have, because he has so much. At almost 4 he is allowed to feel a sense of loss over toys breaking or being taken away, it’s called consequences for his actions. Set boundaries and keep them. Hes old enough to be in preschool so you know he is old enough to understand that throwing toys is not okay.

4 Likes

Do not let him have your phone,If he has a play room then that is where he needs to play with his toys.Make sure there isn’t a tv in there,and no toys outside of the play room.At 3 his control isn’t going to be great,Taking away Buzz and Woody is good.He needs to learn consequences.At $2,800 for all the stuff destroyed I’d take it easy on toys,as you said he already has a lot.Instead invest in books,and maybe one of those tablets that has a warranty if your child breaks it.He can watch pbs on it.Keep letting him know it’s not okay to throw stuff around,as it can also hurt some one.Above all just keep doing your best.

1 Like

Keep it in high places! Hello. Kid is pain in…

1 Like

My son did this at two. He is three now and there was consequences as far as taking toys away he did it with and I’m careful about the toy choices I choose now. Be strict on the no throwing rule. Throwing should be outside or with something soft not around electronics. If throwing is his thing maybe balling up dirty clothes to throw it in the hamper at a reasonable distance. My son has a lot of energy. Most do around this age so any positive things that you can do to get that energy out would be helpful. Play time outside is the best because it’s free and they still have fun. 30 minutes a day can make a big difference. If it wasn’t so a cold in the state I live in it would be longer. Helps tire them right out and sleep better at night as well. We do more outside in the summer, spring, and fall but still try to get out in these winter months when it isn’t too cold.

My son did this. After the third hole in the wall I put every single toy he owned in in trash bags, put them in his closet (they were stacked to the ceiling) and locked the door for three weeks. He had coloring books/colors and story books only for those three weeks. His behavior changed drastically during that time.

3 Likes

Get him a cheap tablet…his PBS…no phones
TV room is off limits for toys.
Keep ur phones out of reach.
Keep those conversations rolling…if it doesn’t work yall may need some therapy.

4 Likes

See, either discipline or throw the whole kid out. That’s RIDICULOUS

1 Like

Have him tested for ADHD or Autism.

2 Likes

Room time , if he has a fit take his things and even break a few of his favorite things so he knows how it feels . It’s the best time to be tough so it wont keep happening.

1 Like

I would have taken the toys after the first was broken… you need to learn to discipline the child better my sons 5 and has been using a tablet for learning videos since 2… and he hasn’t never broken anything. No tablets, no phones no TVs nothing…

2 Likes

My two year old knows that he can play rough in he’s room but, any toy thrown inside will be instantly taken off him and placed on top of the fridge in a container called ‘toy jail’ (where he won’t get it back till tomorrow) and he goes into time out for 2 minutes (1 minute per age). Throwing things is for outside and only if it’s a ball.

3 Likes

I would talk to your doctor about possibly seeing a behavioral therapist and see if they have any suggestions. That’s what I had to do with my son.

1 Like

No more toys in the livingroom and no playing on cell phones.

My son broke his tv ,I took the toy away and threw it in the damn trash. That was 2 years ago he hasn’t broke a tv since

Spank him :woman_shrugging:t3: they know how to follow rules at that age, and breaking those types of things isn’t ok.

3 Likes

I agree, have him tested, he could be on the spectrum just slightly. My son is the same way, gets upset when he’s not right or if you correct him. Might be worth it

1 Like

Don’t punish your kid because you haven’t learned to take precautions, this is why I get the 80 dollar phones and buy my electronics second hand I’m not about to lose money on stuff like that I have 3 rambunctious kids who are learning the rules but they are still kids. I have been fighting with my husband for the last 6 months because I want to lower our TV to an actual TV stand, right now it’s on top of our old entertainment stand but I know in the back of my mind he’s right and it will probably get broken if we do that so it’s going to stay up.

1 Like

Spank him it will do wonders if you can’t control them when they are small they will give you he’ll when they are older

4 Likes

I would take away every toy that can break something and put your TV on the wall with a wall mount if possible. Only let him have soft stuffed animals and crayons and coloring books. He will learn!! Don’t throw them away just store them away somewhere

1 Like

Please buy sprint complete myhome, $89 to replace it and can use up to $5000 a year.

Girl at four years old he knows what he’s doing. I have three kids and never once have they broken a tv! I would’ve tore their butt up and took their toys. They’ve broken tablets before and my oldest son broke his first phone. I made him literally work off the debt on the phone and the cost to repair it. He had to do extra chores and do yard work. I “paid” him minimum wage for him to grasp the concept of how much things cost. He’s 10.
I’d take the toys that your son regularly throws and not give them back. If you don’t spank definitely put him in a time out and explain what he did wrong and how it is not acceptable. 4 is not too old for him to be given simple chores.

7 Likes

Pay more attention to him they always give signs when they’re about to throw something or blow up. My son does the same and I had to learn to keep a closer eye than I thought.

Sounds like you need to get a little more firm with your son and start setting ground rules and enforcing them otherwise your child is going to run your house. Toys in the living room would be absolutely gone, stop giving your toddler child expensive electronics. Stop being afraid of hurting their feelings. Parenting is supposed to be hard and sometimes we have to do things that might upset our kids.

3 Likes

Seriously my kid would be in his room with a sore bum. Thinking about his actions.

1 Like

He is 3. Sounds like he needs discipline and the toy removed. Talking to him about money(if I read it right) isnt gonna work. He is three.

3 Likes

Without a doubt this child needs discipline! There is a fine line between discipline and child abuse! But discipline is very necessary when bad behavior begins. A lot easier to train them while they are young and learning than to try to change them when they are teenagers or young adults who have that “I know everything” mentality or a sense of entitlement.

4 Likes

I can’t believe you guys are blaming the 3 year old :roll_eyes: if you give a 3 year a freaking cell phone it’s gonna get dropped, get a good case or quit giving it to him. Punishing him now and not when that stuff happened isn’t going to help. You need to teach him not to throw his toys, at 3 he should know that.

2 Likes

As soon as a child responds to his name, he is old enough to learn the difference between “yes” and ,“no”. Being consistent with reward and denial is key. Throw only those things supposed to be thrown and only outside. Toys are supposed to be played with in a certain way rather it’s cars, or trains or dolls or Buzz Light-year. If the play is inappropriate then the you I’d gone. Talking is good but must be followed by consequences.

1 Like

Kids will be kids…nothing will have nice things till kids get olders neways lmfao

You must avoid your child playing with expesincive things give him his toys and discipline your child

I get “boys will be boys” but that’s a terrible phrase. Kids will do what you let them. 4 kids and they’ve never broke a tv, phone, ipod etc. One time did a toy get thrown at a tv, and that was enough for them to learn not to.
You seem to be… enabling him- after he broke the first phone that would have been it no more phone but you let him break 2 more. After the first tv broke it would have been a long time before I let him near a newer and bigger one.

8 Likes

Take toys off him if he is going to throw them, tbh you should have stopped it when he was little, my 2 yr old losses her toys if she throws them same for my other 2 and if he is going to break phones and TV then he can’t have them, I don’t let my kids touch my phone because they will break it (6,4 and 2 yrs) and if they start being silly around the TV it’s off and they go play in their rooms

1 Like

I wouldn’t let him have hard stuff in the rooms with the TV. Also they have TV screen protectors you can buy.

My girl who was two at the time has broken a 50inch tv by throwing a toy at it a brand new Xbox one by pouring juice in it and an iPhone by throwing it down the loo lol :joy: I would say if throwing the toys is just done out of excitement and him playing to tell he can no longer play with his toys anywhere else but his room/playroom , if he continues to break things even try taking away his toys and letting him earn them back so if he can play nicely for however many days he can choose a toy or a few and if he keeps it up he can get another one and another and if he breaks anything then take some away again maybe an idea x

There is a no throwing rule in my house of 4 kids. Ages 15,6,2, and 3 months.

My accidents happen but i tell my kids if you throw things it’s out of your control after you let go of it.

We have had broken laptop screen and desktop computer screen.

Gotta find ways to make a point and taking tv privileges and phones away is the first step.

If he has a play room then his toys dont come out with him.

no u cant be soft for this u have to stop and say ur tired of this my x is a guy whos mom said he had issues and everytime he walks into my house he breaks someyhing i cant afford to fix also i have a son who has decided he will break whatevrr to get my attention the only thing u can do is punish him for what he broke so if he breaks the tv he cant watch it on any device at all u have to be strong even if u think ur being mean u have to be strong he has to learn not just the value of life but the valu of material things as well

1 Like

He doesnt get hard plastic toys or wood blocks at all!

Put on the backpack with leash

He needs to play only in his room

Phone cases help a lot
Dont give him any electronics at all!!!

You need to disclipine and take precautions on your phones. My daughter drops my phone, but it’s in a case and protected, plus o have insurance on it in the worse case scenario. She also doesn’t touch the TV’s because shes been disciplined enough to know better. She plays a nintendo switch and does well with it and sits on the floor or couch when playing so it doesn’t break. Again disclipine. She’s almost 4 (3 weeks away til her bday) and she has only ever broken one electronic and that was my bad not hers. Oh and she also knows not to throw toys and no drinks by electronics either. Rules, boundaries and disclipine.

2 Likes

Do not buy such expensive stuff for starters.

2 Likes

Right ladies, said everything I was going to say. He is NOT the Parent, you are suppose to be.

1 Like

Make sure your smartphones have protective cases. And if you know he’s destructive put a warranty on stuff like the phones and tvs

3 Likes

He is old enough to know what he is doing and to not throw things. Also…why are you replacing toys he has destroyed??

5 Likes

“Fragile little boy” :joy::joy: keep raising him this way and he’ll need his safe space for the rest of his life :snowflake: :snowflake:

6 Likes

My 1 year old son knows not to throw things I’m not quite sure why a 4 year old would be but my guess is only play with toys in his room so he can’t get excited and break things and tell him not to touch the phones also another thing my 1 year old already knows it’s not that difficult to teach them !

My son has never broken anything and hes almost 12. I do not allow throwing in the house period. That is a huge no for me. I have not just TVs but lamps and other stuff. Plus I have pets and yeah … you should be teaching and enforcing non stop. You cant expect him to learn if you’re not putting your foot down. No more toys in the living room and no more phone unless he is seated and you personally hand it to him. He needs rules and boundaries. And he also needs disipline/consequences for his actions. I don’t mean like whoopings just like time out or toys taken or a few days with out electronics.

1 Like

You can’t blame him for the cell phones. Honestly. Shit happens. You yourself even says here that he isn’t responsible so idk why you even mentioned them.
More adults break them than anything and you should have a case on it if you’re going to let a 3 year old ply on it.
The TVs… I wouldn’t take his toys or make him feel like he’s paying for it but I’d not let him have toys in the rooms with the tv until he can learn to not throw toys in the house.

I have 3 boys. 3, 2, 2 months. They are hellions. They play, they rough house, they are wild. My rule is, WE are the adults. If you leave something out (at my house it’s my husband’s xbox controller/games, laptop, mouse, etc) and one of the boys gets it and breaks it, it’s your fault, you left it where toddlers could get it. However. I know you can’t put a tv away. I think the no toys in the tv room is a good idea. As for the cell phones, spend $25 and get a case that won’t allow a simple fall to break your screen. Toddlers are going to drop things, if he threw it across the room because he was mad or didn’t get his way, don’t let him have the phones, but if it was as simple as dropping the phone on accident, he shouldn’t be punished for it. Or maybe buy him a tablet, with a childproof case, so he doesn’t have any reason to touch a $1000 phone. If it was malicious or om purpose, there should be consequences. If it was a 4 year old being crazy, like they all are, make rules, keep toys away from the tv room, childproof your electronics and call it a day.

5 Likes

Yeah my daughter has broken 3 TV one was 2000 bow the cords on a 120 dollar chair

I have a 3 yr old and if he drops the phone that is given to him or hits it, it gets taken away. Kids should know better at that age. They will get away with what you let them. If he throws a toy it gets taken away because he knows if he throws it he can hurt somebody. Kids have no concept of money at that age so telling him things cost money isn’t really gonna help. If he isn’t disciplined for him actions then hell just continue doing it.

1 Like

I would say he’s old enough to learn not to break things now. I have a son who’s 4 and fragile also but he gets a time out when he throws things.

2 Likes

Not a mom but having dealt with something very similar with my daughter. We removed almost all media, definitely no cellphones or tablets. Low amount of tv time. Encouraged her to do things that made her focus, drawing, puzzles, legos. And encouraged a lot of outside or active indoor play. Playing with a whiffle ball inside was a great teacher for how to throw things, and when and where throwing them was acceptable

Why has he been allowed to throw things in the house? Should have had a consequence the first time he threw something. And accident or not, he would have permanently lost whatever toy broke the first tv. I was raised the old fashioned way and after the second tv, his back side would be sore. Sounds to me like he’s allowed to run loose like a wild animal inside the house. When he starts school he’s gonna be a problem child because teacher is gonna have her hands full trying to teach a class of twenty something kids,and try to teach him how to behave because his parents didn’t. You don’t wanna spank that’s fine, but for Pete’s sake teach children how to behave inside, whether it’s home or school. Teach them inside voices, no hitting or throwing and teach them the meaning of the word no.

7 Likes

3 yr olds should not be on phones regardless of what they are doing on them. They will also throw things, yell, kick, scream its kinda their job, how we respond is how we teach them right from wrong…

4 Likes

Don’t let him use your phones. For anything. My kids are 22 and 17 and they were never allowed to touch my phones unless I asked them to. Oldest has had a phone since 13, never broken. Youngest just got his first phone in September.

Also, no throwing toys. Ever.

5 Likes

He’s four, that’s a lot of grown-up words that he doesn’t understand. You can’t take Woody away because that should’ve happened when he broke that first TV. You also can’t excuse his behavior as being too excited. He’s four, he should know that we don’t throw toys. He shouldn’t have to give up toys to pay back for the TV. He should have gotten a timeout right when that happened and had his buzz light year taken away from him. You might watch him all the time, but if you are allowing him to throw his toys then you aren’t teaching him all the time.

3 Likes

He is still impulsive and needs the consequences for what he did. Throwing things in the house can also be dangerous. He needs to learn what is appropriate and what is not. Maybe teach him other ways of celebrating.

1 Like

My 9 and 7 yo boys have never broken an electronic maliciously or by throwing anything. They know if they do, they will be punished. In addition, all of the phones, iPads, etc are child proofed. The only tv that was broken in our house
Was because one wanted to clean the screen and did so with Tylex not knowing better before we could catch him. Needless to say, that won’t happen again either.

Dont let him play in areas with expensive electronics. Dont let him use expensive electronics. If he brings the toys in the room with the tv you ask him to go to the designated play area or you take the toy. I have 3 destructive kids that are 13, 12, and 7. Dont go down this path of making excuses, and replacing stuff. You’ll regret it later!

2 Likes

He really needs to be taught not to throw things… and he’s old enough to learn that there are consequences for his actions. The toy would have been taken after the first tv was broken! I have raised 3 kids and 6 grandkids and currently have. 4 yr old grandson who’s autistic and he knows not to throw toys inside. Bust his butt, and teach him or when he starts school you will lots of phone calls!!!

1 Like

My 3 year old daughter throws things but it’s usually when she’s mad and can’t get her way when she does that she gets a butt whooped and whatever taken away.

Be sure he has an outlet for his energy and anger—it can be frustrating to have little power, big emotions, and not enough skills yet to articulate them.

A mini trampoline you can take outside & fold up to store in a closet is good. Running, climbing, walking (outdoors), swimming (indoors) are all good.

If it’s too cold & money is tight, put on some music & dance, do kids exercise videos, or yoga or tai chi (on TV, You Tube or FVD) as a family.

If you can afford classes, Tae Kwon Do karate or another martial art teaches focus, discipline, good listening, control, & is great exercise. Plus as you learn & gain belts there’s a sense of achievement and accomplishment.

Exercise as a family and everyone is happier and healthier with paradoxically more energy and he more you do.

There’s also indoor soccer, climbing walls, gymnastics centers that cater to the younger set, plus Rec Center classes (I teach creative movement/dance classes for kids from 18 months to 7 years old, for example).

Set up your home to be as indestructible as possible (wall-mount TV, sturdy, washable furniture, locks on everything you don’t want him getting into) & keep fragile things out of reach or in storage until he can be more careful.

Little boys can be wild and rough on everything—especially moms!

1 Like

Your have raised a BRAT with no boundaries. Good Luck.

4 Likes

Honestly I just his but for throwing shit and deffiently if he was braking shit because he threw something at it I put his ass in time out after words too he’s a bit young to understand money, but after I busted his but for braking something because he threw it I then set him down explain why I busted his butt and why he cant do stuff like that. Also as for getting rid of toys that’s fine but not something he enjoys that’s just mean grounding fhem from it’s one thin but selling is another

If he wants to break phones and TVs he can not watch them. He can not bring toys out of the play room and I would make him donate a bunch! It’s time to crack down or he will just get worse.

As someone with three year olds in the classroom, they understand more than you think. Do what you think is right. I think you did well by sitting down and calmly talking to him. I’m sorry you have lost so much money to this. That can be hard as two working parents to suddenly have to spend money to replace electronics. I hope everything goes well. At this point just don’t let him ever touch your phones until he is older. Keep teaching him about how technology is fragile and keep him at a distance from the TV’s.

First we would definitely would not be purchasing a new tv right away. First phone he broke all phone privileges should have been taken away until he was more responsible. Taking his toys to pay for the TV I get the idea but I don’t think it’s quite the right approach. He would not be aloud to play with anything projectile around any of the TVs. I’d also take buzz away from him and def time out as soon as it happened. My son has a bad habit of throwing things and I have to stay on him often as soon as I see him I reprimand him and remind him why he can’t be throwing things in my house. My son has a pretty large flat in his room and the first time I caught him throwing things in his room I took his TV out and put it up for about a month. I have a wild ass boy who is also 4 but I keep him in check… he knows the house rules and if he breaks them he knows there’s consequences. Sounds to me you going to have to be more diligent on correcting his behavior.

Giving up toys is a little too much, in my opinion. Set rules & stick to them. The more structure, the better. 1,2,3 method works amazing!

No toys around the TV and don’t let him on your phones. My kids know never to touch my phone unless I tell them to get it and it has a hard case on it… my kids aren’t allowed to play with toys around our TV that’s why they have a room and you say he has a playroom too?? Make all his toys stay in the playroom

3 Likes

Don’t question yourself too much it sounds like you are taking the best approach for your family he needs to understand the value of things and he’s old enough at 3 to get a general understanding and also by taking away those toys that could wreak havoc on the house or be easily broken will definitely help. You’re doing great hang in there I’ve got a 3 year old boy myself and man he is a monkey lol

idk my 4 yr old can play with toys without throwing them. id say if he cant play nicely with his toys then he doesnt play with them at all… set ground rules and punishments and stick to them everytime. and keep all other phones and electronics away from him unless youre sitting next to him using it with him… mine dont touch our phones or the remotes and they stay out of reach

1 Like

I’d say no more phone time and as for the toys try a timeout box for them… grab an old tote and put toys in time out when he is throwing them, if he has good behavior he can like buy them back with points or tickets?
Also consider wall mounting your TVs and keeping phones higher than a night stand, perhaps an otterbox as well…
Maybe even make toys off limits in your front room till he learns not to throw them?
I wish you the best I know them little ones can be quite the handful.

1 Like

Firstly I would stop telling your child how much things cost. There should be punishment for breaking things on purpose.

1 Like

Toys in the bedroom or playroom only.:woman_shrugging:

The decisions you’ve already made sound like the perfect reaction. I’ve been a teacher for 21 years, and I fully approve your approach! :+1:

1 Like

Omg my best friends daughter does this

I don’t think you were too harsh…you maybe can afford to be a bit harsher. I don’t think you will scar him by setting boundaries and rules. And definitely don’t let him near the electronics…my kids are not allowed to touch cellphones unless we ask for it, which is only now that they are over 5. We put a small, inexpensive tv in their playroom, so if something happens it won’t sting. And I agree with no toys anywhere else. I know it’s hard to keep track, but it has to get done.

2 Likes

Kids need boundaries. No throwing toys ever. If you throw a toy, you lose it until the next morning. Throw it again, you lose it for three days. Even if in the playroom. If he does it at home, he will do it other places. And he is way too young to be watching anything on your phone. Toys and books and music and outside time will help him develop muscles, motor skills, reasoning, and imagination.

Buy him soft toys… or put a screen in front of your tv not kidding

If I had of broken 1 television when I was little :rofl::rofl:. I would have ran away from home if I had broken another one lol

1 Like

A good pop on the tushy is an idea.

So is he 3 or 4? You said at the beginning he was 4 and at the of your story you said 3. Nothing wrong with consequences at any age, that’s what the problem is with kids these days. No punishment and parents are always thinking when they do punish them, it’s too harsh.

Mad at him I’d be furious

why is he throwing toys at the t.v.?

You clearly aren’t parenting well enough.

We haven’t had a problem with quite this much destruction but our kids have broken things accidentally. When our oldest broke his tablet, he didn’t get a replacement for a few years. If they leave something in the floor and the little ones break it, we don’t run out and replace it. It is their responsibility to take care of their things. If something does get put up and littles do get a hold of it, that’s a different story. Your son is only three, but it sounds like he’s closer to 4. He probably is able to understand some cause and effect. If he throws toys, they get taken away, etc. As for the phone, don’t let him use it. Get him a kid tablet if you want to with a thick protective case. BUT, If you do that, wait and use it as a reward. If you give it to him now, you’ll be rewarding him for breaking things.

When I was 4 I got my ass beat for throwing toys and touching stuff that don’t belong to me. Now I’m 52 and I am in no way traumatised from it.

6 Likes

After the first time I would have kept all phones and electronics away. Never allow toys near the tv especially if you already knew how he gets. Otherwise hes going to learn to break things and not care.