My baby got two different results for COVID testing: Advice?

On June 8th, me and my husband I went to go get retested after being positive for Covid-19 2 weeks prior. My kids got tested two days after again. My oldest son was negative, and my four-month-old was also positive the first time they got tested. We got everybody tested in two different places last week just to make sure. In the testing site, we all came out back negative, but in the clinic where we usually go, my four-month-old came back positive again. Also, another thing, the clinic I guess could not get a hold of me yesterday due to the T-Mobile outage we just had, so they contacted my oldest sonā€™s father. We are not together no more. They asked if he was the father of my oldest and he said yes so they gave him the results. They also gave my youngest son results without asking him if he was the father of the baby. My kids have two completely different last names, so Iā€™m wondering why they gave him so much information about my baby when in the clinic they have information about my actual partner, which is the babyā€™s father. I think they should have waited to give us that information to his dad or me. Yes, Iā€™m thankful he let us know right away after they called him, but I asked my oldest son, dad if he asked for the information, but he said no and that maybe it was his fault that he didnā€™t say that he wasnā€™t the dad but they should have known when they have different last names and also the paperwork I put their fatherā€™s information. Iā€™m going crazy knowing that in one place, we have a positive and another negative for my baby when he looks perfectly fine now?? What can I do?

12 Likes

There have been cases of false positives.
But I would definitely address the HIPAA violation

11 Likes

Thatā€™s definitely a HIPPA violation I would call and make them get the contact info straight.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not saying it is right but sometimes two bio siblings have different last names. Maybe mom gave the first the dads last name and the second her last name if that makes sense it can happen but they should have asked for date of birth for each person!

7 Likes

They might have assumed he was the father to both. Itā€™s not a big deal. Let them know in the future that he is not. You should contact whoever tested the baby and got the positive and have them retest, letting them know he was negative somewhere else.

4 Likes

We can always make our relationship the best for us, life or career a successful as we desire, it only take you to put in the right effort and if you feel you need help then look for help. After my wife left me heartbroken. I was lonely, devastated and sad luckily I was directed to a very kind and powerful man Dr Nathan who helped me brought back my wife and now she loves me far more than ever am so happy with life now thank you so much Dr Nathan you can email him on (Nathanayakasolutionhome@gmail. com) or you can also whatā€™sapp him on +2347019014544

They are saying that there is actually a lot of tests that are incorrect. Honestly if I were you I would just isolate and act like they are positive. Just watch to make sure they arenā€™t having breathing issues. I would also absolutely address the HIPPA violation as this is really a big deal.

1 Like

Not saying that what they did was right and they definitely should have checked that he was the dad to both children but, my 3 kids all have different last names. 2 of which have the same dad so it is possible for them to not look at it that way. But I know thats definitely not the right way they went about it. Fingers crossed ur lil one dosent have it

I would file a complaint about the HIPAA violation

5 Likes

My youngest two have the same dad but different surnames. It happens.

Technically, that is a hipaa violation. The person calling with results should have known better as a health are worker

2 Likes

Your other son needs to stay with his dad until you find out for sure. If your baby is in fact positive for COVID you need to isolate with him until he is better I would treat it as a +.

Thatā€™s a major HIPPA VIOLATION !
And Iā€™d probably get baby tested again to double check that!

1 Like

What are the symptoms that u all experienced? U tested them without any symptoms
U said baby looked fine so maybe u can have covid without any symptoms?

Maybe he tested negative becuz he no longer had it?
Does anyone one find it odd that there are false positives?

That is a HIPPA violation and they could get in serious trouble for giving a minors/patientā€™s information to someone who is not listed as being able to receive such information. Iā€™ve heard the rapid tests have given false results.

1 Like

They shouldnā€™t be giving out any information like that without your permission

Have the baby tested again and quarantine your family just in case and Iā€™d send your oldest to his dads. As for the Doctors office Iā€™d be raising hell! It turned out okay in your situation but what if you and your ex werenā€™t on good terms, if they do this to someone else it could cause major issues. They should know better period! They are trained to know better.

The clinic violated HIPPA laws. You need to file a complaint with the company that overseas the clinic. This happened to me. After leaving an abusive relationship the Drs office called my younger 2 kids sperm donor/abuser to tell him of an appt for my oldest. His father followed us there. I switched Drs & didnā€™t give them any info on fathers. Now I have it in our court papers that he canā€™t be contacted by Drs, school etc. It doesnā€™t seem like thatā€™s neccesary in your case but Iā€™d still file the grievance.

It is a Hippa violation and you have every right to be mad they made a mistake but with the best of intentions. Do what you feel is right. Isolate yourself and have another test done at the place that had a positive result bc maybe at the time the baby hadnā€™t completely ran the course with the virus but now they could be negative bc the passed the virus so to speak

Next time donā€™t put the fathers contact info down. Have the facility contact you directly.

Have the baby get retested. Maybe a false positive or results were mixed up. If the baby is in fact infected, you can treat him at home unless symptoms worsen. Take to hospital.

Get tested again is about all you can doā€¦ and you also have a lawsuit on your hands too if they gave out info to someone else. HIPPA laws are no joke.

12 Likes

Why is it a big deal they told your ex? I get itā€™s not his kid. Did you ever think they told him because they could not get a hold of you. Seems kinda something I would want to know ASAP

2 Likes

Both the COVID test and the Antibodies test can have a 30% chance of a false negative or a false positive result. I was sick all of January, February and part of March and was on 2 different Antibiotics two different steroids and two different inhalers so my doctor wanted me to have the antibodies testing done because she was for sure that I had Covid. it came back negative :woman_shrugging:t2:. But I would for sure address the HIPAA violation that your doctors office did. I work in a doctors office and thatā€™s one thing we always make sure who were giving results to over the phone.

2 Likes

I mean if heā€™s fine thereā€™s really no need to get anyone retested. Just social distance for 14 days and youā€™re gokd

3 Likes

I mean you really think your gonna test positive the rest of your life?? You can test positive for lots of things and days later you will test negative. I mean what happened to common sense?? :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

The results could have been different because of the way the swabbing was done. If not swabbed properly, you will more than likely get negative results. I swab for COVID almost everyday now and they are hard enough to collect on adults, I canā€™t imagine swabbing a child. A baby no less. Just make sure the child is healthy, social distance your family. But I would for sure address that HIPAA violation.

4 Likes

Stay in touch with your pediatrician.

The positive on a COVID test is like MONO. It can be positive for outward of 2 months. As long as you are not exhibiting symptoms you are essentiallyā€œnot spreading the virusā€.

My sister in law was tested and two different nurses read the results differently. I guess the way the results come back are different then other things and it can be really confusing.

Hippa violationnnnnn.

1 Like

I would just go and get tested again, Iā€™ve seen videos of how itā€™s done and I know itā€™s uncomfortable but thatā€™s the only way to find out. Maybe do them again in both places? You could let both places know that you tested on both and got different results. Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll have you come in. About the whole information, regardless of who it is, even if itā€™s grandma and they are not listed as to whom they can give information thatā€™s wrong. Despite the fact that yes this time it wasnā€™t a big deal BUT it could be in the future, if you know what I mean. I wouldnā€™t go to the extremes just politely call or go in and say that there was a breech and you would like that information is only given to said people on the list.

1 Like

Even if you think itā€™s no big deal for your ex (or anyone else) to know your babyā€™s info, itā€™s still a HUGE HIPAA violation and it needs reported! If it was that serious that you needed to know ASAP they shouldā€™ve asked him to have you call them immediately. Not just give out personal information.

You can call your babyā€™s pediatrician and get their advice but personally Iā€™d just have him retested.

1 Like

Stay in your home. Quarantine. Asymptotic probably. Iā€™d get other kids retested.

Keep your family in quarantine. Your ex let you know right away which was the right thing to do, however that may be a HIPPA violation but whatā€™s done is done. Iā€™d let that part go

4 Likes

Why is she testing at two sites? Thatā€™s honestly a waste of resources. The testing is free, but tests are still limited.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s a HIPAA violation. I would call the clinic and let them know they are not to give that man information pertaining to your other child if you donā€™t want him to have access to that information. Let the office manager know about the violation so they can retrain their staff. Not saying anything isnā€™t the way to go.

10 Likes

I feel like they give some people false results on purpose. My whole family got tested we were all negative except my 5 year old brother. We took all precautions he quarantined for 2 weeks. 1 week in he was fully ok so they took him another place and took another week for those results and it was negative.

3 Likes

File a complaint about them passing test results over the phone to a non-family. Donā€™t know what state youā€™re in, but here if one parent brings a kid to the clinic, they literally have to list the other parent and sign to be able for them to get info.
As far as the testing goes, itā€™s just not that valid of a test. I could go into specifics, but just have the baby tested again.

1 Like

What done is done at least he phone her right away to tell her everything keep your family in the house and stay safe.

The phones went out not just because of sprint being bought out they all installed a covid 19 tracker

1 Like

More likely false positivesā€¦ do what you want

So much Drama. B . Happy all of you are still a live dumb ass ā€¦

3 Likes

Umm thatā€™s HIPAA violation first off but yes I would quarantine until it says negative again

2 Likes

Have him tested for antibodies

2 Likes

They may not of performed the test correctly at the clinic that came back negative. If you donā€™t get those nose swabs deep enough in the nose the test isnā€™t going to come out correctly.

4 Likes

My husband had COVID-19 with symptoms. They told him he could test positive for up to 8 weeks but as long as he was symptom free he was not contagious

1 Like

Go to a hospital and see if they can do a blood test. They are more accurate and only take 2 hrs for results.

1 Like

I would complain to a higher up as thatā€™s a HIPAA violation. He was suppose to prove he was the parent of BOTH children by them asking the birthday of the kid, address on file, etc. something, but would have to give an answer for each kid, not just one and then assume the other kid is his tooā€¦ as far as the testing, they get false positives sometimes. Or they didnā€™t test correctly at the one facility.

The PCR tests are only 70 % sensitive so itā€™s quite common to get false results. So itā€™s up to the clinician to decide to treat a patient with symptoms as Covid positive even if the result is negative and repeat the test after some time again.
Also for some individuals sometimes a test can stay positive for a very long time( in one case 31 or so days) but with out symptoms, again to do with the PCR testing as it only measures virus genetic material and not the active virus, but if oneā€™s asymptotic means heā€™s not infective after the usual period of 14 days.

They violated HIPAA big time. Call the clinc and speak to the office manager.

5 Likes

Call an attorney! Hippa is a huge federal violation!!

They arenā€™t supposed to tell anyone anything except the parents. Iā€™m not sure why this doctor thought it was ok. Iā€™m not sure you can do anything except tell your doctors to remove him from the other kids and make a note. Im sure it wasnā€™t malicious just concerned doctors trying to get the info to you. Hugs

First off call and ask them if they would like to be reported for a HIPPA violation. Unless he is listed to be called with such information they are violating that law. Keep am eye on your youngest. Take temperature a few times a day, make sure to hydrate, and that the child is eating regularly and acting as they normally do. Unfortunately with all tests, you can receive false positives.

Sorry you are going through this. Follow Doctors advice for medical management. The clinic actually broke the law by giving your babyā€™s medical information out. You definitely need to complain. You can also report them to the state if you want.

If heā€™s not on the contact info then thatā€™s a major violation. Not to mention they canā€™t assume the other child is his. Not only did they violate the hipaa they also did much worse. They need to be held liable for the violation

Hulle doen dit vi syfers vir die wereld dis n groot grap weet nie wat die doel is niešŸŽƒ

You can be a carrier of the virus show no symptoms may never show symptoms. But you will test positive.

1 Like

The tests are only 63% effective. So, if you got a positive, trust it. There are MANY false negatives out there. There isnt any false positives from what I know working in the ER

What Emily Carrigan said. My Dr told me the same thing. Basically, if itā€™s negative, it doesnā€™t mean youā€™re negative. But if your positive, your positive.

1 Like

HIPPA VIOLATIONā€¦yesā€¦no harm no foul for you but the person giving the results should have k own not to give protected health information to ANYONEā€¦other then the people listen on the HIPPA forms every single patient signs when being seen at a health care facilityā€¦thank goodness you childā€™s father is a good personā€¦Iā€™ve seen exā€™s use these thing in courts of law as leverage over the other parent. Horrible really. Prayers for your family and God bless

Ugh, I dont wish this on anybody and Iā€™m sure itā€™s a very difficult time and head space to be in. And the fact they didnt wait to speak with you to tell you thisā€¦not like it would change how you feel but still