My baby has been waking up in the middle of the night screaming: What could be the issue?

My baby is a year old. She has been waking up at night multiple times screaming crying. I’m not sure what could be wrong with her? We do white noise. It’s not hot or too cold. She doesn’t have a temperature. She isn’t hungry and won’t take a bottle. She will just wake up screaming and crying and won’t settle down for a while and this happens 3 or more times throughout the night every night. What could be going on?

6 Likes

My guess is an ear infection!!

Its normal its night terrors

No food or bottle. Sure sign that they’re sick!!!

Could be night terrors. It’s common at that age due to developmental stages

Night terror. My son 4 months and nephew 7 years so the same thing

My daughter has night terrors. They are terrible. She still has them and she’s a lot older now.

This happened with my son, and they were ‘night terrors’ they are essentially ‘sleep walking’ and don’t remember the episodes when they wake up. He would cry/scream and nothing would sooth him. Simply keep him/her safe and out of harms way and wait for it to pass - as far as I knew there was no cure at the time (my boy is almost 11 now).

I have the same thing happening with my 16 month old!! I thought it was bad dreams or gas…

Teething ! Take your child to the dr to make sure there isn’t anything going on

Sounds like night terrors this is very common in children and unfortunately there is not much that can be done to stop it. With my daughter (she did this for YEARS) I would just sit next to her and try to console her and let her know that I was there and would “pet” her head till she would calm down and go back to sleep

1 Like

My guess is night terrors. All 3 of my kids had them and they each grew out of them over time. With my first it freaked me out badly and after it happened a few times her doctor told me what they were. I would suggest making her an appt and talking to her doctor about it…they can tell u if its night terrors or if something else is happening. Good luck momma

Happened to my son too. We never really found out why and sometimes he’d do it and some nights he wouldn’t. Happened for years but slowly stopped. It’s heartbreaking. Hope you can figure something out.

It’s super common for a baby that age to have night terrors. They go away on their own.

1 Like

Night terror, constipation? Teething? Thirsty? Maybe wanting to be by Mom. If not ask your physician.

Is she cutting teeth maybe?

Maybe she’s getting nightmares. My son did the same at that age, I would hold him and rock him back to sleep. He slept alot in my arms

Lots of stomach bug going around we got a three year old and she was swellen in her stomach and crying the doctor said it was has bubbles in her stomach

my little one use to get nightmares to its scary because it seems like there is nothing you can do . try just rubbing his back . its like they are still sleeping and crying so you don’t really get much out of them but they grow out of it.

Nightmares from another life😢

1 Like

Sounds like night terrors. My son is almost 3 and he still gets them sometimes.

I would first rule out anything medical like an ear infection, they don’t always get a fever right away. Could be night terrors. Third have you recently introduced normal cows milk; I have a son we found out was lactose intolerant around this age during the day he would be okay. At night time he would be up all night on and off crying because the gas would build up in his body and hurt. Switching to lactose free milk made a difference in days. He eventually grew out of it

1 Like

Happened to my daughter at the same age. Her nap schedule changed and the gap between the last nap and bed time was too long. She would fall asleep and wake up 45min later hysterically crying, go to bed, and do it again. We started giving her a short nap around 3:30/4 for 45min and bedtime is 7pm, never had a problem again . If they are awake for too long, it’s harder for them to fall into their deep sleep. :wink: good luck

Could she be teething? I know my baby is 11 months old and he is doing the same thing, But he is cutting teeth and sometimes he is constipated. Hang in there momma!

Night terrors possibly. My first daughter went through it until she was about 3. She seems to have grown out of it at 4. I would just hold her and lay with her until she calmed down, if she let me. Sometimes she wouldn’t let me touch her. It’s so heartbreaking, I’m glad she’s outgrown it.

Night terrors or teething. Will go away with time my son stopped all that around 18 months

Could be night terrers may want to have checked out a family member did this and laters found baby had health issues it was not caught baby ended up real sick and a lot of pain before they figured out

Probably night terrors

Growing pains Tylenol and a good rub on the legs

My grandson was doing this he had an ear infection no temp no other symptoms

1 Like

Could be digestion, dreams, growing pains, teething, breathing issues, sleep regression…the list goes on. It’s not uncommon. If baby is healthy otherwise, just push through. It will likely pass. But you can always talk to dr about it. Not sure they will offer you anymore insight though.

Have her ears checked. & watch her, if shes pulling at her ears, it could be an inner ear infection that is not presenting in the outer ear. We are actually going thru this with my grandson right now.

1 Like

Gas maybe… Mylicon or Little Remedies Gas Drops works wonders!

1 Like

Mine did that until they was going to school-would not sleep in room by itself or wake up 2-3 times a night and I would be up all night-easier to just let them sleep in room with me

I would say gas, tummy issues, or teething. Is she better after being comforted? My son woke frequently crying and flailing around and he has acid reflux and he also gets gassy/cramps.

1 Like

Ear infection possibly - its worse when you lay down. Possibly night terrors. Could be teething, which can also make ears hurt. I would maybe try some motrin/Tylenol for a night or two and see if it helps. If not, I’d call the doc to rule out ear issues.

My son has night terrors. He wakes up suddenly and it takes a few minutes to get him to calm down. He also gets like that when he is teething or has an ear infection

This was happening to my son recently and it turned out to be one of the early signs that he had an ear infection! It could be that or night terrors/growing pains/teething.

Is he staring blankly? If night terrors he will not seem to notice you in the room. They’re not really awake. You just have to leave them go through it, don’t wake them or even touch them, but you can talk softly in a soothing voice. Scares the hell out of you but child won’t remember a thing in the morning.

If they look at you, call your name or respond by reaching for you and they are truly awake, it’s something else.

Night terrors have her I. Your bed for a few days it will South her I had to with my youngest

Besides all these other wonderful suggestions
I would say always put them in sleepers at night covered from neck to toes
Beings we do get cold at night and cover ourselves back up where they sometimes don’t know how to do that yet

Bring her to your bed and have her sleep with you . When she falls asleep place her back into the bed. It’s either nightmares or teething. But they feel comfy in bed with you and feel safe.

1 Like

My 15 month old does this. Usually it is due to a growspurt and/or teething.
Every kid is different though

Sounds like night terrors. My son started them at about 15 months old and has them in spurts every few months. He is 4 now.

Mine is doing the same the doctors say its teething

It could be a number of things. When baby is crying does baby pull legs in like tummy pain? Could be gas. Does baby tug at ear. Could be an ear infection. Could be growing pains, or even night terrors.

Night terrors. My daughter is 4 and still has them on occasion, usually when she is screaming and inconsolable she is still asleep, like even though she’s awake, if that makes sense…

y daughter did the same she was one in November slept great up until then it went on for about a month then she just stopped and started sleeping fine again still not sure what caused it

Theres a sleep regression at a year old and anout at 18mos. Lasts 2-3wks each time.

possibly night terrors.

Sounds like night terrors…

Girl same. My baby only sleeps like 30 min at a time

Teething? My boy did this, quick cuddle and put him back down, I think one night I rocked him back to sleep cause he was so upset

My oldest had night terrors from a few months old

If shes not sick. Make sure if shes in day care that no one is touching or hurting her along with her father or any friends or family. Or any trauma she may have been through. If that’s not the problem. Then that’s great maybe scary movies? I hope she grows out of it poor baby

I have twin our son started to start this too around that age, we just put a night light in the room and had a light up toy like a glow worm that if he hit would play something soothing he was able to self sooth through it

Night terrors probably. My son used to do this and he wasn’t actually awake while screaming. I’d usually clap my hands or make a loud noise and he would stop

My daughter did this from age 2 until 4 - when we finally found out she was allergic to something in the fabric of her bed mattress. It wasn’t giving her hives or red spots, but was causing terrible head aches.

Most likely molars causing pain or night terrors

She could be experiencing nightmares or she could have an inner ear issue. They tend to plug up when lying down and it can cause pain. Get her in to her Dr. to rule out anything physical. If all is okay, you may just need to wait it out.

1 Like

My son experienced this… his pediatrician said they were night terrors… and no it doesn’t mean they are watching something scary, for lil ones it’s simple things like playing games that can cause them a suspense feeling, playing peekaboo, startling them when talking or walking from around the corner, somethings they heard or watched on tv or radio etc. good luck mommy hope it clears up fast for you and baby.

Our kids had growing pains in their legs

We went through that, eventually it gets better. We tried everything. I always felt it was night terrors.

Take to dr could be gas or could be teething anything when in doubt take dr.

1 Like

Some babies get night terrors.

Maybe it’s experiencing some kind of trauma during the day at daycare?

1 Like

Could be a lot of different things I get her check out

Gas? Gripe water helps. Or might just be night terrors

Night terrors leave a small light on helped my son