My baby has pink eye...advice?

We’re currently in Mexico, traveling back tomorrow evening and my poor baby got pink eye I will be calling his pediatrician asap but as for the flight home any suggestions?We’ve been doing motrin for the swelling and just did a hot compress to clean it. My baby is miserable

16 Likes

Anyone nursing? Fresh breast milk can help a few drops in the eye.

30 Likes

You can go to any pharmacy in Mexico they will give you the eye drops without a prescription there

19 Likes

My poor boy used to get them a lot. If you’re still breastfeeding, apparently milk helps. If not I used to get some warm water with salt dissolved in it and with a cotton ball gently wipe from the inner eye out, only using one per wipe.

5 Likes

Warm compress soaked in milk. I used to get pink eye when I was a child all the time. This was what my mom would do, no eye drops until I was much older.

1 Like

My eye dr always recommends using Johnsons baby shampoo to get rid of pink eye or styes. Just rub a little bit on a wash cloth get it soapy then rub across the eye lid wait a couple mins then rinse. Its gentle enough so it don’t burn. I always keep it on hand for this reason.

5 Likes

A warm tea bag will take the swelling down my 7 month old and 5 year old just had double pink eye and the tea bag worked wonders until we started the drops

3 Likes

My sons just had pink eye. I messaged his doctor, and she sent in antibiotic eye drops to the pharmacy. That worked wonders!

1 Like

Warm salty water is the best thing. Generally you don’t need more than that and Paeds don’t usually prescribe anything other than that for the first three days anyway. Twice a day, use a cotton pad dampened in it - one for each eye.

4 Likes

Oh boy we dealt with this a lot. To the point he was getting styes so big he had to get surgery at 2 to unclog his tear ducts. Hot compresses helped a lot when he was small. The dr had us putting a little bit of Johnson’s no tear shampoo on a warm washcloth and gently rubbing in circles around the eye to clean it as well.

My kid got that too a few weeks ago. Eye drops and antibiotics cured it within a week. And our pedia advised us to stay at home for 7 days. It is contagious. If its viral or bacterial infection , depends on the diagnosis of the doctor.

1 Like

In mexico most pharmacy has a dr . And alot cheaper than usa

5 Likes

Use warm wash rags to clean the eyes - wiping downwards. Use a clean section of the rag - don’t use the same rag twice . This feels so good - trust me . Then use the antibiotic drops that the doctor prescribes . It is so not fun and I get it all the time ! If you have any questions feel free to pm me . I could write a book on this subject .

2 Likes

Warm compress for the discomfort. Breast milk if you’ve got it. But we just got over a bout of pink eye and doc says that they don’t even prescribe the medicated drops anymore because pinkeye goes away on it own after a few days on it’s own.

1 Like

If you’re still Nursing, put some breast milk in the eye 2x day , clears it up soooo fast

2 Likes

Plain organic yogurt - take a scoop out and let the clear liquid pool up. It will be soothing for the irritation.

Can you see if it’s safe to use visine pink eye on your baby? I’m not sure if it is or not, but that’s always been my go to for my kids.

Wash with baby shampoo. That is what the doctor had me to do before my daughter’s tear duct surgery.

1 Like

Breast milk! Few drops in eye!

1 Like

A couple of breast milk eye drops will do the trick

1 Like

If you’re still breast feeding, drip breast milk in baby’s eyes

1 Like

-Terramicina- you will find it without prescription.

1 Like

Go to a pharmacy and get eye drops.

Clean it with warmed up milk. Clean cloth, every hour

1 Like

Pink eye can also happen if baby has rhinovirus or adenovirus

Call his pediatrician now. They can advise over the phone.

1 Like

They sell chamomile eye drops everywhere here in Mexico. They are ‘herbal’ so you can use as needed. I do one or two drops per eye, every 4 is hours. Along with the motrin. It helps with cleaning and clearing it out faster.

1 Like

I’ve always been told it won’t go away without antibiotics. When you get home go to the doctor, for the flight use a warm compress and keep it clean

1 Like

Go to a pharmacy most of them have a dr or ask where a private hospital is.

Warm compression lots through the day. Keep it clean. Mexico has urgent clinics. Worth checking out if that bad

1 Like

Why??? Would anyone travel to Mexico???
Filthy 3rd world country

18 Likes

Cotton balls in warm water cleans best. Outside in clean throw away cotton balls so Noone else gets it. Works great does not irritate eyes like a washcloth. Good luck.

If you are still Mexico, you can go to the nearest pharmacy/Farmarcia and they can give you eye drops or pick one up without prescription. Sometimes, the pharmacy will have an urgent care clinic that you can just walk in.

3 Likes

Pink eye is contagious. I would get him into his pediatrician as soon as possible because they can prescribed antibiotic eye drops. I believe it’s after 48 hours of starting the eye drops that he won’t be contagious

1 Like

If you’re nursing squirt some breast milk in his eye…

If you’re breastfeeding dab some breastmilk in your little one eye. Another one is using a peppermint tea bag one the eye to soothe it as well

If can do chamomile tea to rinse eyes as warm as possible 3x a day should help a lot

Wash cloth.
Pharmacy should have eye drops for pink eye

I’ve been super sick the past few days and woke up with pink eye in my right eye this morning! Thankfully I’m breastfeeding, I used a wet/warm washcloth as a compress to get the crusties off and then put in a few drops of breast milk, it stopped hurting almost instantly and hadn’t clogged up all day! I’m so surprised. It really works!

Go to the pharmacy in Mexico and ask for pink eye medicine… not sure which part your in but they sell alot of over the counter medicines almost on every street.

1 Like

Over the counter antibiotic drops. 24 hrs of treatment before no longer contagious.

Breast milk in the eye can help.