My baby has RSV...advice?

My baby was recently diagnosed with RSV on Wednesday and sent us home with a breathing machine. His temp is still raising up to 101.8 and dropping after meditation. It’s beenn doing this all day and night since. The doctor said it will happen. Then he has a bad cough thst made his boice raspy. I am was just wondering what are some ways I can help my baby not feel so miserable all the time? How can I help him at home? I hate seeing my baby like this.

3 Likes

It’s just gotta run the course! It’s hard and exhausting! Humidifier helps. Baby Vicks.

So our boy is almost 8 months old now, he had rsv at around 4 months. We got saline, nose Frida and suctioned him out 4/5 times a day, also we got baby Vicks vapor rub on his chest, a humidifier in his room, and all day long off and on we were patting his back/chest with a cupped hand! When I took him to the doctor she said he was borderline needing to be admitted to the hospital, two days later we were back for a breathing check and she said she couldn’t believe how well he hand it and recovered so quickly. prayers i know its scary!

My son just got swabbed to see if he has rsv. Waiting on results now. So I’m definitely following this post.

I used baby Vicks and rubbed it on his feet and put socks on. Got a humidifier and ran it non stop in my bedroom and suctioned his nose out a lot. My son was about 2-3 months old.

For the cough this does help vics vapor rub on bottom of feet and yes put socks over it.

We had this , saline and suction help loads … day 3-5 are the worst and it gets worse before better but slowly it improves day by day after 7-14 days mine was much better xx

1 Like

How old is the baby. Laying on belly, repositioning frequently, frequent suctioning. Sitting up, cupping on the breast and back. Most importantly, clear the airways

Go into bathroom shut the door put towel behind bathroom door so no steam escapes and turn shower on to the hottest water setting possible. Sit on floor with your baby with some toys or books etc and sit in there for 10-15 minutes in the steamy bathroom because it’ll help with the cough and will also help open his airway more. Don’t do the breathing treatment more than necessary either only do it as directed. I would also dress baby in the lightest clothing possible until temp drops. Fevers are our bodies ways of fighting off infections. My son when he gets sick he doesn’t run fevers so his body takes awhile to recoup after illnesses. Also watch baby’s breathing if it looks like he’s struggling (bluish/grayish tint around mouth) or if the area between his rib cages start to get sucked in then take him back in. Also try invest in an o2 sensor thing that’s what I do now when he’s sick for I can make sure to go in before he gets worse. If baby’s oxygen goes below a certain level (I think I was told below 95%) call the doctors.

You got this tho. Just comfort him. Keep his nose cleared. Do the steamy bathroom. Also don’t get too worried if he doesn’t drink a lot cause when babies are sick some don’t like to eat much

Are you giving tylenol between other meds? You can… it will control fever

Humidifier, vicks, nose suction and saline, rotate Tylenol and ibuprofen Tylenol 9 am, ibuprofen 12pm, Tylenol 3pm, ibuprofen 6pm etc etc, this way as one medication is wearing off the next is kicking in, just need to make sure it’s been 6 hours between each dose of the same medication. If you are breastfeeding do that as much as possible to keep them hydrated

My baby was ten days old when he tested positive for RSV. There wasn’t anything we could do for him because he was so small. But, we did us a cool mist humidifier and saline and suctioning his nose. Also, my sister is an RN, and she encouraged me to let him cry a bit to work his lungs really well to help him.