My best friend and I are drifiting apart: Advice?

TL/DR: What do you do when you and best friend have babies together, but you feel like you’re drifting apart? My best friend and I have been friends for about 16 years, give or take. She’s married, I’m not, but I am in a serious relationship. We had babies a little over a month apart. Before we had our babies, we had been suffering a little drifting apart, as she felt that my boyfriend was replacing her. I apologized deeply for that and promised to work harder at our friendship. After we had our babies, I tried to set up play dates with her and her husband and my boyfriend as it had always seemed like the 4 of us got along well. I mean, her man and mine would talk all the time. Or if the husband suggested it, we’d say, “just let us know when you’re free!” But we never hear back. It’s starting to feel like the only times they want to see us is during group events. However, there are people that get invited that my man and I cannot tolerate for a number of reasons (a whole other story but these people have done incredibly hurtful things to us) and because of this, we don’t attend things. My best friend and hubby are still friends with them and seem to expect my man, and I too show up with a smile on our face. It also seems like they’ll take the time to attend whatever with whomever else too, but won’t give us the availability of when to have a play date. I thought babies were supposed to bring friends closer together, but it just feels like we’re drifting even further apart. I’d love for my daughter to grow up knowing her son, but it doesn’t feel like that’ll happen.

4 Likes

Your friend sounds very entitled, the part where she felt that your boyfriend was replacing her seems ignorant seeing as she herself is married :thinking:

2 Likes

It happens—you may drift in and out numerous times. Still your best friend though. People come in and out of each other’s lives dozens of times during a lifetime-don’t sweat it. My bffs are always still my bffs- we don’t always need to be attached at the hip

3 Likes

I would suggest being more direct. Offer a specific time as an invitation. I know that it is difficult to make plans when someone is vague with me.

You are putting too much pressure on the situation! People grow apart. Relationship or not! And the first 2 years is hard! Babies can’t really do anything, can’t really go anywhere and going out is usually not an option.
Call your girl, set up a night just the 2 of you and the babes. You don’t need your man around and she doesn’t need her’s. Just you and the kids and maybe a drink and some snacks!
It isn’t easy to carve out time, regardless of how long you guys have been friends. What matters is that you guys buck up and realize that you can be an “absent” friend which is really just being there without being in person, or carve out time every week to hang out

1 Like

Dont give time to those who dont give time to you.

3 Likes

Maybe she is suffering postpartum and you should keep trying to hang just you 2 again.

Things change as people get older

1 Like

It’s called life and kids and family! And, it happens to everyone. If you really want to save it I’d at least plan a play date once a month to see each other and catch up and the phone works both ways don’t wait on her to call you you can call her and see if a certain date works for you both

2 Likes

Inst that just life??? I have 2 bestfriends, one since intermediate, the other from high school. These days we hardly chat or even get to see each other. I have different interest and lives from both them. Anyhow despite all the “drifting apart” factors, when we see each other…
Nothing’s changed, sometimes due to living in diffent towns or countries it’s been years since we get to catch up, but we still remain how we always are.

2 Likes

Look, life happens. When kids are in involved, it is a totally different ballgame. Kids will take a mom in 100 different directions. Parents don’t have time to go out all the time, Chat on the phone all the time, ect. Anymore…talk to your friend and maybe set up a play date with your kids… but, being a parent to a small child it is hard to make plans for other things unless it has to do with kids or family.

1 Like

I think you should call her and talk to her about how you feel she brought up her feelings to you so maybe it would help her notice what she is doing

That’s life in part of growing up it happens. Maybe your lives are just taking different routes now find new friends

Your friend is an ass. But no. Babies do NOT bring people together. Babies show you who your real friends are.

Well, I could probably say a few things but I’ll just give my $.02: stop reaching out. Don’t let this be on you anymore. If they remain in your lives they remain. If they don’t then oh well it was fake anyway.

As you grow older… you will outgrow alot of things and that’s including friends. She needs to understand that in order for you to build a relationship - the couple must spend time together. It’s really does suck when things like this happens but she needs to grow up and understand. One day she will understand this once she finds someone special.

Another solution can be: you all can hang out but let me tell you… (maybe because I’m an introvert) but that can be very draining mentally.

I have several friends who were my ‘best friends’ a decade ago. Now, they couldn’t tell you anything that’s going on in my life. And that’s okay…

If you have to fight for someone’s attention it’s not worth the fight. Hopefully she will come around a realize the friendship you shared. If she doesn’t move on. Sorry this is happening to you but life situations always happen for a reason.

Welcome to the club :woman_shrugging:t4:

Happened to me. My BFF of 21 years. It sucks but it’s life. Move on girk. Take your family and kiddos and just enjoy yourselves.

Maybe it’s not about you. Maybe something happened. Talk to and ask if you or your bf have done anything to cause the drift. You just never know.

I think they got there own things going on now … isn’t that called life ?? She will be your friend always but sometimes they need space and other people to talk to as well

1 Like

If y’all just had kids around the same time, she is probably focusing on her family it’s stressful. Give it time play dates happen later not necessarily at baby stage. My bff and me didn’t see each other for 5 yrs and now we talk everyday. We’ve known each other for 25 years. It took us a lot of adjusting bc I have 2 kids and married and she doesn’t want kids and isn’t married. She comes and sees me and the fam once or twice a month. But it’s just like any relationship communication is a must. Talk and let her know how you feel and let her tell you how she feels.

U dont need a best friend.
Just concentrate on yourself and your family. . . If shes interested she will get in touch!
It’s not ever worth stressing over

Doesnt sound like i good friend at all… i just lost my best friend of ten yrs last yr and unfortunately nothing can be done. Once that relationship starts to tumble its so hard to pick it back up. Life goes on and theres more and sometimes better people out there for yall.

You definitely will have new friends, i met my best friend at a t-ball game for our kids, 30 years ago. Besties ever since

Sounds like its time to find a new best friend that won’t treat you like crap. Good luck. So called friends are the mains one that’ll stab you in the back and and fill the wound up with a ton of salt. Good luck. Sometimes its better to just stay away from shitty ppl and move on.

1 Like

Things change whenever one gets married or both

Friends come and go. Even “best friends”. Intrest and family life changes… I wouldn’t call her again… Just figure its one of those things and move on. There will be other mommas to become friends with… And they to may be great for awhile and then fade away… It happens

1 Like

Sounds like you and your man have a lot of issues that you didn’t have before you had your man :thinking:

1 Like

Welcome to parenthood where everyone’s busy and too tired. Lol

5 Likes

That doesn’t sound like a best friend.

4 Likes

It sounds like she wants nothing to do with you and is trying to put the blame on you to make you feel like you have to try harder to keep the relationship. She is the reason you guys are drifting not you. You have made the efforts to spend time with her but she isn’t returning it. So let her go and move on.

6 Likes

Don’t force it, mama! Anyone who values your friendship wouldn’t make you feel this way. You deserve a better friendship. All you can do is pray for her. Maybe she’ll come around but if she doesn’t, just know you’re worth more than a half assed friendship.

6 Likes