My boyfriend blows me off when I bring up marriage

Go to him and tell him guess what my addittude changed. Then tell him get lost.

4 Likes

Britney Hedgers marriage is technically a contract. Ensuring youā€™re not building a life with someone you have no legal ownership of and thereā€™s a lot of tax incentives as well.

2 Likes

I was with my last husband 24 years before he married me . Mind you I have 3 engagement rings :ring:. But he said similar crap to me . Change your attitude. Well quit your darn lying to people than drag me into it. I wonā€™t confirm your lie

Itā€™s time to move on. Men that feel it is their decision and their decision alone to decide if / when you get married is toxic.you are both in the relationship not just him :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I think the when your attitude changes comment would have done it for me :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

hes not gonna marry youā€¦ do you want to be a gf forever or a wife?

When your ā€œattitude changesā€??
Um. My dear, you have a control freak on your hands. Trust me when I say this. Ive been talked to that same way. Been told that I WILL respect and listen. Been told that I should be careful of my approach. Been told I might want to reapproach and start over. You need to stand up for yourself and not let a man talk to you that way. I stood up for myself and got kicked out on the street with nowhere to go. Whoā€™s character is more becoming in this situation? Thatā€™s not the kind of role model you want for kids. Start working towards independence and self worth and move on to better days.

2 Likes

Why does everything have to lead to the ring?!
Does he treat you and your daughter well? Does he provide for you and the family? I cannot understand why people have gotten so materialistic instead of focusing on the importance of how you are treatedā€¦ saying that you would leave someone because he doesnā€™t want to spends 1000s on a ring and one big day is just sadā€¦ you want a ring go by yourself one if it means that much to you

2 Likes

Yepp all done. See ya buddy. Go waste someone elseā€™s time

5 Likes

Umm noā€¦ not everyone wants to be married. Also, if you want to kick him to the curb bc of marriage, you might be toxic. Thatā€™s a huge red flag.

2 Likes

Ah I donā€™t care about marriage and never want to get married but Iā€™m a loyal ass partner who loves my bf soā€¦ If itā€™s that important to you then maybe you should?

1 Like

Dump him. If he canā€™t commit now he never will. 5 years enough time to know if heā€™s serious

1 Like

Thatā€™s a baby dad at that point. Almost 5 yrs in, a child together and living together as if youā€™re living a married life already yet feeling unclaimed despite having a child, no ring even after that factā€¦ Iā€™d be annoyed too. You brought his child into this world, and he canā€™t even put a ring on it to give you some kind of hope for a future more solid together. Thatā€™s a man looking to be a live-in dad but thatā€™s about it.

4 yrs with my man, no kid but living together with a cat, and I at least have a promise ringā€¦

He either doesnā€™t take you seriously as even the mother of his child, or take the relationship that seriously to take any further step than where you guys have gotten. You donā€™t have to be with the father to raise a child right. Not if you feel like heā€™s not creating a secure enough place for you in his world to want to stay. Thatā€™s what co-parenting is for. You donā€™t wanna be looking at life another 5 yrs down the road still having the same fights about the same issue he has yet to do anything about. Wait too long itā€™ll just be harder to leave when you feel even more neglected later on. What you want should matter enough for him to address it at least have a conversation about it. If not. Then Iā€™m sorry heā€™s not the one regardless of if youā€™re parents together

1 Like

Why does he have to get married?

2 Likes

if marriage was important you shouldve made it so at the beginning of the relationship. good luck.

1 Like

I know mu cuz was with his gf for 10 years he said why fix something if it ainā€™t broken if I asked him when he getting married thet been togethere 20 years now finally got married the girl had patience and they have no kids together

1 Like

Honest question. Why should he marry you? You live with him and gave him a kid already. Maybe, if those were steps you guys had waited on, heā€™d be more motivated. Itā€™s a ā€œWhy buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?ā€ kinda thing.

1 Like

I honestly feel like people who are in long term relationships and arenā€™t married are, in a way, keeping their options open. That final step of commitment hasnā€™t been taken

With that being said, I understand that marriage is essentially just a piece of government paper, but itā€™s the idea behind it that means something to me

4 Likes

You already had a child(ren?) together. Thatā€™s your commitment to each other. If youā€™re willing to dump him because he hasnā€™t fallen under your timelineā€¦sorry but that makes you the bad partner.

If this was an absolute deal breaker for you to be married, this should have ended before you had kids together.

3 Likes

You Donā€™t Need to Be Married to Be Happyā€¦Do You think getting that Piece of Paper Will Make things Betterā€¦ Probably Not! I walked away several times when they started pushing the marriage thing, but we had No Kids together!

1 Like

Ask him specifically what you need to change. Are these valid points? Really reflect on what he says. Communication is key. If after all that and being married is so important to you but not him then that answers your own question!

sit him down & ask him. Maybe he doesnā€™t want to get married. And he is very happy just the way things are, All of this should have been talked about way before you had a baby together or even moved in together

Maybe he isnā€™t ready for it?? Just because youā€™ve been with someone for a while and have children doesnā€™t mean they are mentally or emotionally ready for marriage. And why is everyone so obsessed with marriage?? You donā€™t have to be married to be happy in life.

1 Like

The fact that he says when your attitude changes means heā€™s open for other options.
The question isnā€™t about whether he wants to get married or notā€¦ Itā€™s about his response to the question.

3 Likes

I read, a person knows if they want to marry you within the first year.

3 Likes

I been with my boyfriend for 10 1/2 years 2 kids and live together weā€™re still not married

Hahaha really ? Marry me or Iā€™m going to leave you ā€¦ā€¦ no wonder he doesnā€™t want to marry you

3 Likes

Personally, i think you guys should have a talk. If marriage is what you want (and he knew this) and he isnā€™t wanting it ever, and this is a deal breaker than thatā€™s okay. You deserve to get married if you want to be married. However, if he doesnt want to be married thatā€™s okay too but he needs to let you know so you guys can discuss your future.

Just ask yourself is he someone you can see yourself without or cant?.

Marriage isnt everything to be honest but i totally get where you are coming from. Regardless avoiding this conversation is only going to make things worse. He just needs to state how he feels about the subject so you know where he stands and you can figure out what you want to do. Just remember if he is perfect for you and you lose him over marriage you wont find another him. There are other good people out there yes but will you find your person? Especially if you want to marry this man? It seems like he is your person. Regardless this is definitely something he needs to talk to you about. But do not feel guilty for how you feel Especially if he knew prior marriage is what you eventually were seeking (not sure if he knew)

Boyfriend and I have no intention of every getting married. Heā€™s been there, done that. Itā€™s never been important to me. Weā€™re happy, weā€™re committed, weā€™re a family already so a piece of paper doesnā€™t really make a difference so itā€™s no big deal.

He doesnā€™t want to be married to you right now (or ever). If you can accept that then continue. If it is your deal breaker then you know what to do. Besides "changing your attitude ". Was he specific because right now communication socks between you two. He shouldnā€™t blow you off, wasting your time. He should come right out and say what he means

3 Likes

To the left to the left everything you own in a box to the left! Kick him to the curb it doesnā€™t take 5 years to know what you want and I definitely wouldnā€™t change my attitude for anyone, I love me and refuse to water myself down for a weak man

3 Likes

Excuses, he really doesnā€™t want to marry you, if marriage is your goal look elsewhere

1 Like

it depends if marrage is a deal breaker for you? me for instance, i know i want at least one more child. so if i was with a man and thought it would be a long term thing, i would let him know that if itā€™s not gonna result in having a child then i will walk away, thatā€™s my deal breaker.

Maybe change your fucking attitude lmfao

Marriage is not necessarily for everyone. If everything is going good in the relationship, heā€™s a good guy and a good dadā€¦why try to fix something that isnā€™t broken :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Me and my husband were together almost 10 years before we got married, already had two kids together and my oldest that he helped raise. Sometimes it just takes time, we were young when first got together, Iā€™m glad we waited if we didnā€™t, we probably would have been divorced.

1 Like

Yep kick him to the kerb :cold_face:

Kick his ass to the damn curb and find someone who will present and love you. There are far worse things than being single.

I have to tell you those are things that we talked about before we had a baby, before we moved in together because I didnā€™t believe in marriage and you have to be honest

If you really want to marry him, ā€œkicking him to the curbā€ would not cross your mind. Sit down and talk about why he brushes it off. Maybe there is an issue in you guyā€™s relationship that you arenā€™t mentioning. There are two sides to every story.

Not everyone wants to get married. I already been married once and it didnā€™t end well. I told my boyfriend that marriage was off the table and he is okay with that. It may not be that way later. If your relationship is good, donā€™t force it. If you want to move on, that is your choice. You can also ask him a year from now, things may change.

1 Like

Change that attitude? Lmao jk but let him do it on his own.

If you think that ring and piece of paper is worth more to you than your small family, youā€™re crazy. I made that mistake & regret it. Horribly. Take some time to really think about thisā€¦

2 Likes

Whatā€™s that old saying why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free ā€¦

3 Likes

Bye. Not wanting to I can understand but to say ā€œwhen your attitude changesā€. Girl run

4 Likes

If he doesnā€™t want to get married at 5 years then heā€™s not going to and heā€™s too much of a coward to admit it. If you value marriage I would move on.

5 Likes

Talk about how you both see the future if it does or doesnā€™t align together. Seek counseling

2 Likes

Howā€™s your and his relationship? Do you guys get along great or fight all the time? Maybe heā€™s just not ready yet. That doesnā€™t mean he doesnā€™t love you.

It means youā€™re not getting married.
If you want to then move on and find somebody else that will commit in that way.

2 Likes

Sounds like you two have different goals. Iā€™d rethink it!

3 Likes

Kyla. See my response to Jennifer. I wanted to clarify some things

Sit down with him and have an adult conversation. There could be reasons why marriage scares him. My hubby was married before so he didnā€™t want to go through all the big wedding stuff again. We eloped and got married on a beach in Hawaii. You just have to find out what he is thinking :thinking:

4 Likes

If itā€™s important to you, leave! Theyā€™ll make up all sorts of excusesā€¦ and youā€™ll end up resenting him for the time you wasted. Especially if hes saying, when you change your attitude! Plenty other good men out there that arenā€™t afraid of commitment.

3 Likes

If youā€™re willing to kick him to the curb then maybe marriage isnā€™t the right step anyway :woman_shrugging:t3:

6 Likes

Quit forcing him to marry you when he is ready to ask he will be ready why you trying to rush him

5 Likes

Find a man who loves your attitude and canā€™t wait to marry you! I wouldnā€™t have ever given 5 years of MY life to someone who obviously has very different moral values and very little respect for mine. Bye :wave:t3: thereā€™s plenty of fish in the sea!

1 Like

We got married 11 years in, marriage isnā€™t important the relationship is, imo anyways šŸ¤·

1 Like

Well have a serious talk with him about it. And found out why. Tell him itā€™s what you want and need after 5 yrs. If he doesnā€™t want the same, move on and find someone who is! Stop wasting your time!

What attitude needs changing ?
He likes you as you are or not

1 Like

I was with my Man 10 years before we got married :woman_shrugging:t2:

My attitude would change right to another man!!! After 5 years chances are heā€™s not going to marry youā€¦next time donā€™t move in and I bet you get that ring!

1 Like

Donā€™t force something that isnā€™t there. You lose the person by pressuring him into something heā€™s not ready for

It sounds like he doesnā€™t want to get married. So you have 2 options:

1. You can stay and wait for a proposal thatā€™s never going to come.
  2. You move on and find someone who would be interested in marrying you one day. :woman_shrugging:t4:
3 Likes

I wouldnt force him. He may not want to get married.

1 Like

Talk to him about it. Ask him why he doesnt want to be married. I gave my now husband an ultimatum after 4 years dating. We marry or split. We set a date and got married 4 months after the ultimatum

Tell him to kick rocks sis! If he isnā€™t ready now heā€™s never gonna be. He likes the situation

2 Likes

Marriage has always been important to me. My kids dad didnā€™t take it seriously. Other than him being a POS he would have never wanted to marry and Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t. I now am going to marry my best friend. Thereā€™s men out there that want the same things you do babe.

2 Likes

get rid of him, there are more fish in the sea that want to get married, stop wasting your time & lifeā€¦

1 Like

Why does he have to marry you?

I couldnā€™t care less about marriage if Iā€™m in love with the guy then a piece of paper wonā€™t change that

3 Likes

Quit nagging him about marriage and just leave

1 Like

Not getting married is NOT a big deal. As long as your relationship is happy and healthy. Some people donā€™t want to get married that doesnā€™t mean they donā€™t love you the same.

1 Like

Your daughter is a pretty big commitment, even if he doesnā€™t want to comment.
I donā€™t know enough about your situation, but if youā€™re looking for marriage and heā€™s not after 5 years I donā€™t think heā€™ll change. Is he faithful, a good father, and good person and provider? These are important factors in your relationship. I sure would not provide any more children to further strain your relationship if heā€™s having doubts about marriage. AND marriage is NOT going to make your relationship change unless both of you are committed to it. Leaving is easy, but it does take 2 to commit.

He probably isnā€™t asking you because you keep asking him to. Just calm down, he will when heā€™s ready

1 Like

I mean. Technically yā€™all are common law marriedā€¦ lol :woman_shrugging:t4:

But do u have a good relationship other than u arent married

1 Like

Are you worth marriage do you treat him like a wife would treat a husband

1 Like

He has no Intrest in marriage sp if thatā€™s something you want youā€™ll need to start over and start looking

Your boots are made for walking!!!

1 Like

Leave well enough alone. If yā€™all are happyā€¦let it be. A

What about your attitude does he want you to change? Marriage is for better or for worse. With or without that attitude. Heā€™s not ready

Iā€™d ask if he against marriage then that he be willing to sign all the extra legal documents giving you both the same rights.

If this is something you both agreed on and now heā€™s decided against it then you have some other decisions to make.

First of all :triangular_flag_on_post::triangular_flag_on_post:

Now Iā€™m curious as too your attitudeā€¦ how bad is it lol

I think having a kid together is bigger commitment than marriage itā€™s just a piece of paper like so what

1 Like

What about being able to make decisions should either of you need to make life changing decisions. Iā€™d want some kind of paper work ensuring Iā€™m your legal heir, and not have mama have power to get you out of home and her inheriting his assets. Think of the future also

Some woman are after the money and when the husband passes itā€™s all money and the material things that matter

You already giving him the whole packageā€¦so your attitude is good enough for a relationship but not marriageā€¦you know what you deserve and your worth ā€¦donā€™t settle

Kick him to the curb

You are good enough to bear his child, if he wonā€™t marry you and thatā€™s what you want, move on, Iā€™ve been there, youā€™re, I think my husband was pressured in to marry me after we had a child, itā€™s not such a happy life such a happy life, make sure you give this plenty of thought.

Thats not okay. Get rid of him. If the goal isnā€™t marriage (and thatā€™s what you want) then whatā€™s the point? Sounds like excuses and a way to keep you an option instead of a priority. If youā€™re good enough to have his kid but not to marry??? Weird asf

3 Likes

5 years is long enough to request an ultimatum

Why would he marry you? You gave him everything already. He has no reason to want to get married because you didnā€™t hold some things off ā€œuntil you got marriedā€.

4 Likes

You wonā€™t have to ask the right man to love you. You wonā€™t have to ask him to want to spend his life with you. Your attitude should totally change. It should get much much colder. Forget that mans name.

3 Likes

Sadly a piece of paper and a ring isnā€™t going to change anything
There is nothing wrong for a couple to just live together in a committed relationship
And still be a normal family unit

Also would you consider a commitment ceremony
Instead of actually getting married

3 Likes

If he doesnā€™t want what you want, kick him to the curb.

1 Like

No, keep living in sin. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

10 Likes

Do you want to force him to marry you? He is giving you his answer!

1 Like

He doesnā€™t want marriage, not everyone doesā€¦ You just need to decide if you can love him without a piece of paper.

1 Like

My bf an I have been together almost 9 years an weā€™re not married were both pretty content with the way things are. A piece a paper ainā€™t gonna change anything. You gotta do whatā€™ you feel is right. If you love him an are happy with him then marriage ainā€™t nothing.

2 Likes

First and foremost, itā€™s clear that he doesnā€™t want marriage. I certainly wouldnā€™t want to marry him, if thatā€™s his response to you.

Secondly, I would ignore the comments saying itā€™s just a piece of paper or just a ring or just a title. True marriage is a huge commitment that goes farther than just signing a paper or wearing a ring.
Everything gets more complicated once youā€™re legally married. I would make ABSOLUTELY sure that you actually want to marry him and arenā€™t attached to the idea of being married in general. Itā€™s a lot easier to separate and leave if you arenā€™t married, especially if in the future, things donā€™t work out. Also, itā€™s time to level with him and get a straight answer. Not, ā€œwill we get married?ā€, ā€œwhen are you going to ask me?ā€. Just a straight question of if he wants to get married. If he says yes, go from there. Anything else, Iā€™d say is a clear sign that you want two different things.

5 Likes